Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

corvette thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
RTH - I was playin Devil's Advocate and I'm so glad I did because I got the brilliant response I did.

Persoanlly, I do respect not just animals but life generally - including lil ole Amoeba!!! πŸ˜†

Love your feeling and your conviction for this topic. Hope it provides inspiration where it is needed.

😑 M 😑

AsliiGuy thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
We live very close together. So, our prime purpose in life is to help others. And if we can't help them, at least don't hurt them.
- Dalai Lama

Yaaar luv them, we should not eat/beat them.. 😭 πŸ˜ƒ 😳 Edited by AsliiGuy - 15 years ago
AsliiGuy thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
deleted..double post..😭Edited by AsliiGuy - 15 years ago

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

............................................................ .....................

Food, clothing and shelter is our primal necesscity and we will do what we can to obtain it. Animals kill to and no guilt in killing animals. However, we still need to keep a balance and respect nature.

I am all for respecting nature and keeping that food-chain balance but I do not like going overboard with animal rights thingy when we have so many other pressing problems to deal with.  We have finite resources and I would rather use them for rescuing a homeless person than a stray dog on the street....just my two cents here.

We are not superior or greater, just another species that lives on the plane and survives in our own way.  Actually this is what bothers me most. What upsets me most is not the captivity of animals, but the human superiority complex that justifies everything. Humans should put humans first, they are our kind, but we are just different not superior.

I disagree with you here. 

We are superior to animals because we have a far more developed brain.  We may be just "another" species living on this planet but we are the superior species when it comes to comparing the animals with humans.  Our intelligence has helped us both positively and negatively and in some aspects, we can be worst than animals.  For example humans killing humans.  You'll seldom see a lion killing another lion.  But all that can be a separate debate.  With all our pluses and minuses, we are still the superior species on earth today.

Given the finite resources and a choice between who I would like to help out first, I'll definitely choose a fellow human being.  This doesn't mean I'll be mean or nasty to animals on purpose.  I do not condone cruelty towards animals and I definitely respect their place in food chain BUT I do not lose sleep over some of them in cages......as long as they are well cared for.

However, do not patronize zoos that mistreat animals and do not keep them well. Do not tease or torment animals and teach your kids not to do so. We need not be bleeding hearts rescuing animals in Africa. Just do your bit which you cn.

I concur with you here.

RTH, even though we do not agree on some points here, I would still like to say that I enjoyed reading your posts here.  They brought in a new perspective to this debate😊

Edited by Gauri_3 - 15 years ago
jonnybgood thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Has anyone visited a Prison cell, I have see in a documentary on TV. Many of the prisoners hate it being locked up, even though they get provied with food, clothes, Medicine, and work etc. Animal feel the same way they hate being locked up, they should leave freely. scientist who work with Extinct Animal capture the animal and do reasearch on them and breed them, then set them free.

Originally posted by: BARTSIMPSON

Has anyone visited a Prison cell, I have see in a documentary on TV. Many of the prisoners hate it being locked up, even though they get provied with food, clothes, Medicine, and work etc. Animal feel the same way they hate being locked up, they should leave freely. scientist who work with Extinct Animal capture the animal and do reasearch on them and breed them, then set them free.

When one resorts to comparing animals with humans then the comparison should not be limited to abuse or living in confinement only.  One should also take into account so many things humans do but animals don't or vice versa.  Can't be comparing apples to oranges, buddy.

I don't think twice before the ABC Pest Control guy comes on my property and treats it for infestation.  Ab woh bhi toh living beings hai na.  Agar animals ka itna dhyaan hai toh unn ka bhi utna hee dhyan rakhna chahiy.  Going by your rationale, one should not try to get rid of termites or other such pests also.  After all they are also living beings .... just a different species though...ehπŸ˜‰ 

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Originally posted by: Gauri_3

We are not superior or greater, just another species that lives on the plane and survives in our own way.  Actually this is what bothers me most. What upsets me most is not the captivity of animals, but the human superiority complex that justifies everything. Humans should put humans first, they are our kind, but we are just different not superior.

I disagree with you here. 

We are superior to animals because we have a far more developed brain.  We may be just "another" species living on this planet but we are the superior species when it comes to comparing the animals with humans.  Our intelligence has helped us both positively and negatively and in some aspects, we can be worst than animals.  For example humans killing humans.  You'll seldom see a lion killing another lion.  But all that can be a separate debate.  With all our pluses and minuses, we are still the superior species on earth today.

Given the finite resources and a choice between who I would like to help out first, I'll definitely choose a fellow human being.  This doesn't mean I'll be mean or nasty to animals on purpose.  I do not condone cruelty towards animals and I definitely respect their place in food chain BUT I do not lose sleep over some of them in cages......as long as they are well cared for.

RTH, even though we do not agree on some points here, I would still like to say that I enjoyed reading your posts here.  They brought in a new perspective to this debate😊

[/QUOTE]

I realize I am in the minority when it comes to equality of species. My personal faith cannot wrap my brain around the possibility that one species is superior to another. To me all species were created equal, if one was made smarter, others were made faster, higher, stronger and the net balance puts everyone on an even playing field. So to me assuming our brains make us better is speciesim akin to a person assuming their skin color makes them better. But I do not claim my logic to be flawless, right or better. Perhaps we will never know the absolute truth about our world and nature.

I think it is all fly as long as people do not use superiority as a justification for cruelty. Even if you are better, you can still be nice.
^^^^ As far as all species created equal with their own niches over the others, have we not proved how the ones with the smarts overpowered and managed to tame the fastest and/or most powerful of other species.

You made a nice point about speciesm vs. racism. What makes racism worst than speciesm is the abuse on the hands of same species as you. Here, I can see you pov about equality among similar species as they all are bestowed with similar basic organs. This doesn't mean one species can't be superior to other species. That's more like comparing apples to oranges.

That said; I never condone any cruelty or abuse of animals by humans. I am aware that it happens and it should not happen. Still, if I need to lose sleep over any form of abuse, there are some really cruel instances of what humans do to fellow humans...or to their own kith and kin that will supercede my concern for animal welfare.

At this point, I would like to amke a disclaimer: I have never been cruel to any animal and have never ever abused any one of them except for the pest control I get done in my home. Don't wanna upset all the animal lovers on this forum - some of them happen to be real good friends of mine 😊

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
^^

I probably have harmed more animals than you. I am a voracious meat eater and a major major insectophobe. When it comes to insects all my thoughts go out the brain and I am KILL KILL KILL exterminate them from the world. Of course I am too terrified and frozen, I make others SAVE me.

Another human species trait. Hypocrisy. πŸ˜†
jonnybgood thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
believe or not it up you, animal have the characteristics as humans. They feel pain we feel Pain. I have worked in zoo couple of years has volenteer trust me I have seen animals in pain, angry.  You cant compare a pest with animal, an insect life span is very short.

Edited by BARTSIMPSON - 15 years ago