fan_of_Big_B thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
Originally posted by: umi82990

What is this rehearsal for?!

Filmfare awards
fan_of_Big_B thumbnail

To be or not to be Amitabh Bachchan

Amitabh Bachchan's name is synonymous with enigma. He is the best thing that popular Indian Cinema has ever offered to the world and the best thing that ever happened to Indian cinema. He is the most popular Indian, in India and abroad. Somebody whose charisma reaches out to a truck driver in Ludhiana as well as to a home-sick NRI in London.

To be or not to be AMITABH BACHCHAN, a book that tries to capture and showcase the essence of Amitabh Bachchan. Written by Jaya Bachchan, it takes you through the journey of Amitabh Bachchan from being nowhere to somewhere to everywhere.
The book is a real treat for AB fans because it has over 500 eye-catching photographs. It took me two days to look at each and every photograph! There are several photos in the book that you want to see again and again and yet again! However, the book is very heavy, both in weight as well as on your pocket! But it is a collector's item!
Well, here are some highlights of the book for all my MS buddies:

AB and his parents:: Born to Teji and Dr. Harivanshrai Bachchan on 11 October 1942 at 3 am in the middle of the World War II. Bachchans were originally Srivastavas from Allahabad. He is the eldest of the two sons of Dr. Harisvanshrai Bachchan. AB emphasizes even today that he can never be the man his father was. His father was a well-known poet from a middle class Kayasth family. His mother on the other hand came from an affluent, forward thinking, Sikh family of Lyallpur, now in Pakistan. She was very fond of stage and was also offered a role in a film after her marriage but she preferred to become a quintessential homemaker. In a way she was responsible for AB's career because she always wanted him to take the centre stage.

AB and his struggling days:: Some people are born with the craft or are naturally gifted and AB is definitely one of them. He is also a self-made man. His brother Ajitabh clicked his photos around Calcutta's Victoria Memorial and sent those to a talent contest but, nothing happened! His voice was also rejected at the AIR, Delhi He was dropped from films like Guddi and rejected by directors like Manmohan Desai. Of course, later the Manmohan Desai-AB pair gave us numerous hit films with outrageous storylines! From been outrightly rejected to creating enormous name for himself in the world of entertainment, AB has come a long way.

AB and his first film:: We all know Saat Hindustani was his first film and that it was directed by K. Abbas but do you know who is to be credited for AB's existence in Bollywood? Any guesses? The credit goes to... none other than Tinu Anand! I'll tell you how! AB's photos were sent by his brother's friend to K.Abbas, the director of Saat Hindustani. Tinu Anand was to act in the project but dropped out on being called by Satyajit Ray to join him as his assistant. AB replaced Tinu and that's how he got his first film.

AB and his style:: If he had an odd walk, he converted it into a physical appearance befitting his screen character. If he took up dancing, he changed the criteria of judgment. If he became the silver screen superstar, he changed the concept of good looks. He made it a point to be judged by the criteria set by him.

AB and Jaya:: Their romance began on one summer afternoon under the Wisdom tree at the Pune Film Institute. Jaya was a popular student of the Institute and was chilling with her friends when K.Abbas arrived there with his bunch of actors. One of them was painfully thin, dressed in a simple white kurta and black trousers with chappals. Jaya told her friends that he was Harivanshrai Bachchan's son and wanted to be a hero. Her friends retorted, 'what are you saying?' They kept ridiculing him but Jaya just ignored them because she had secretly started admiring that tall man. They got married on 3rd June 1973.

AB and his kids:: Every Sunday he would bathe Abhishek in a typical Allahabad style by giving him a mustard oil massage and putting loads of oil on this head. This continued right till Abhishek was 11 years old.
AB would bring the roof down if someone fell ill in the house. This was because he knew that he had no control over the situation. Also, he would wake up at least twice in the middle of the night to check whether his kids were properly tucked inside the blanket or whether the draft of the AC was directly on their faces.
Now, he showers the same love on his grand children, NavyaNaveli and Agastya. He loves spending quality time with them. Especially, becoming a horse for them.

AB and his passions:: AB loves capturing moments on his camera. As a child he had a box camera and now he has a Nikon. His favourite subjects for photography are, his family and the sunsets. He is equally good at painting. He loves abstract painting. Another thing that he is extremely fond of is, reading various books at one time and ending up not reading any of those books completely! He loves music immensely. He loves to play the Sitar. He dreams of playing a Synthesizer and a Sarod some day. And can you believe, he has even composed some tunes!

AB and his accidents:: In 1982, he had a close brush with death on the sets of coolie. In an action sequence, he was hit on the Solar Plexus. He had almost died! He was going in and out of coma. It was only because of the prayers of his fans across the globe and their personal penance that he came back to life.
In 1983, he met with another tragic accident when a firecracker bomb burst in his left hand, leaving his hand damaged beyond repairs. His entire left hand had melted! It was after severe medication and matchless plastic surgery that his hand started functioning again. He shot for Sharaabi immediately after that and most of Sharaabi was shot with his left hand in his pocket.

Later, he was struck with an illness called Myasthenia Gravis. This happened either because of the heavy medication that he took during his Coolie accident or because of the blood transfusion that he had received. This illness made him feel weak both mentally and physically and he decided to quit films. He had become very pessimistic about everything and just couldn't handle the pressure of a new film's release every Friday. Before every release he would say, 'Yeh film to flop hogi!'

He took a month long vacation and returned to India on hearing about Indira Gandhi's assassination. Rajeev Gandhi needed his support and that's how politics happened to AB. Therefore his sabbatical from films lasted for 5 years from 1990-1995. Today, he has overcome all his weaknesses but still feels that he has a handicapped body.

AB and KBC:: He surprised himself and the audience as the TV host of the popular show, Kaun Banega Crorepati, that went on to become the National evening habit. Nau baj gaye kya became the popular question in town. Also Amitabh's style of saying, 'Please, please don't go away!' or 'Please take care of yourself.' caught the fancy of the audience.

Lastly, though the book doesn't really reveal everything about AB and leaves a lot of questions unanswered, it is a must read for all his fans.

fan_of_Big_B thumbnail
Have mercy on us, says Big B

Bollywood megastar Amitabh Bachchan has appealed to Health Minister Anbumani Ramadoss to enact a law that would ban alcohol drinking scenes in films, in a strictly tongue-in-cheek entry on his blog.

"I shield myself behind the pages of our revered constitution and law and the censor board. Bring in a law to ban such participation and we shall follow it diligently Mr. Minister", Bachchan has written in his blog.

Asking for "mercy on professional actors", the mega star said they do not promote alcohol.

"We fake it on screen. Diluted tea, honeyed water, an aerated drink, soda watered to match the colour of champagne. That's what we are actually drinking on set to simulate the whisky."

"Our intoxication, Minister, is in the credibility we bring to a drunken scene without being literally drunk, not to propagate alcoholism," he explained in his entry made from his London hotel room.

"Have mercy on us, sire, we are but professional actors enacting stories."

Bachchan wrote, "You and your merry brethren, I have heard, allegedly (smart word to keep defamation at bay) enact similar stories when you seek admission every five years into the 'Large O' or to be more precise the 'Large Half O'! The Large O refers to India's circular parliament building."

"I believe, Honoured Excellency, there is great respectability accorded to what I gather from sources (another smart word to keep defamation at even greater bay) to be, 'The Liquor Lobby', a body of distinguished 'hala ites' that, on the issuance of a licence to manufacture liquor, make gracious contribution to government coffers! Official, of course! Of course, official!!"

"Did I notice a blushed tinge on your 'healthy' facial skin!"

After targeting film stars over smoking scenes, Ramadoss had Tuesday expressed his reservations against drinking scenes in films and appealed to film stars not to promote alcohol advertisements - direct or surrogate.

"I appeal to all of them not to promote alcohol. Alcohol cannot be justified as a stress reliever as portrayed in films. Liquor has become a subject of fun and humour in movies," he had said after unveiling the Alcohol Atlas of India.

The minister, however, had not named any actor.

Bachchan wrote, "You have not named me, Honoured Sir, on this factor. It is perhaps the general knowledge amongst most, that I do not consume alcohol, nor smoke, nor eat meat, nor drink tea or coffee, nor Coke or Pepsi, nor paan or paan masala, nor Indian sweets or chocolate, nor cake nor pastry and recently no rice. I am grateful for this mercy."

"But I have been named on your no-smoking campaign, along with my colleague the Great King Shah Rukh Khan."

"I applaud your concern, Sir, and applaud the choice of your example, in my dear friend and colleague, the other true King of Cinema, Rajnikanth. But Honoured Sir could we perhaps dare to inquire whether you, being in governance have considered first, to ban this dreaded habit from all government servants in the country?"
fan_of_Big_B thumbnail

In conversation with the Big B  

Amitabh speaks about his upcoming movie Bhoothnath

TIMES NOW caught up with Bollywood superstar Amitabh Bachchan who spoke about his upcoming film 'Bhoothnath' in London and it appears that the Big B has an interesting explanation for playing a ghost. He spoke about his experience of working with the little kid Aman and also about his new found interest, blogs.

You have done almost all sorts of roles and now you are playing ghosts. Is it a natural continuation?

Amitabh Bachchan: At 66 there is very little that you are left to do. You can't play the lead man, so they made me a ghost. There are roles that are more like my age and i am happy that they are thinking of these innovative little actions for me to do.

How were the dynamics on the set with the little boy?

Amitabh Bachchan: Kids are wonderful to be with, even in real life. When you ask them to act you are under threat as they can out do you and can put you on the sidelines. They are very natural and don't need any training. Banku, the characteer in the film is played by Aman and he is a delightful little fellow. I have worked with him on several occasions and had a good time working together.

How did you get into blogging and how sincere are you about it?

Amitabh Bachchan: I write everyday, if that can be termed as sincerity. I was unaware about this media and very recently came to know about it and quickly went into the mechanics of it and now I blog. It is a wonderful way of communicating with my fans and well-wishers. Its almost like sitting across the desk and talking.

fan_of_Big_B thumbnail
Big B takes on Ramadoss over drinking by actors
04th May 2008  10.30 IST
By Agencies  

Superstar Amitabh Bachchan has been in a combative mood ever since he began blogging.

Now, Big B on Saturday hit out at Health Minister Anbumani Ramadoss for his "overzealous" campaign to stop drinking by actors, saying the latter should first try to ban this dreaded habit among all government servants.

"Our intoxication, Mr Minister, is in the credibility we bring to a drunken scene without being literally drunk, not to propagate alcoholism. Could we dare to inquire whether you, being in governance, have considered first to ban this dreaded habit from all government servants in the country," the actor said in his latest blog.

Noting that the film industry shall follow diligently if the Minister brings a law to ban drinking in films, Bachchan said the "liquor lobby" is accorded great respectability on issuance of a license to manufacture liquor or make gracious contribution to the government coffers.

The actor said he has been named on Ramadoss' no-smoking campaign, along with Shah Rukh Khan .

"Some of the posters of two of my not too recent films have led you to believe that there has been a grave destruction of the ethics of your campaign," he said.

The superstar wondered whether the government would consider banning vast plantation of the 'beedi' leaves in Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh.

"After all such an act would jeopardise the employment of thousands of workers (oops voters!) and I believe, the business prospects of one of your 'flying' Cabinet colleagues," said Bachchan in an apparent reference to Civil Aviation Minister Praful Patel who is also into beedi manufacturing business.

============================================================ ========

Bachchan takes on Ramadoss: bring law to stop alcohol scenes

New Delhi, May 3 (IANS) Bollywood megastar Amitabh Bachchan has appealed to Health Minister Anbumani Ramadoss to enact a law that would ban alcohol drinking scenes in films, in a strictly tongue-in-cheek entry on his blog.'I shield myself behind the pages of our revered constitution and law and the censor board. Bring in a law to ban such participation and we shall follow it diligently Mr. Minister,' Bachchan has written in his blog.

Asking for 'mercy on professional actors', the mega star said they do not promote alcohol.

'We fake it on screen. Diluted tea, honeyed Water, an aerated drink, soda Watered to match the colour of champagne. That's what we are actually drinking on set to simulate the whisky.

'Our intoxication, Minister, is in the credibility we bring to a drunken scene without being literally drunk, not to propagate alcoholism,' he explained in his entry made from his London hotel room.

'Have mercy on us, sire, we are but professional actors enacting stories.'

Bachchan wrote: 'You and your merry brethren, I have heard, allegedly (smart word to keep defamation at bay) enact similar stories when you seek admission every five years into the 'Large O' or to be more precise the 'Large Half O'!' The Large O refers to India's circular parliament building.

'I believe, Honoured Excellency, there is great respectability accorded to what I gather from sources (another smart word to keep defamation at even greater bay) to be, 'The Liquor Lobby', a body of distinguished 'hala ites' that, on the issuance of a licence to manufacture liquor, make gracious contribution to government coffers! Official, of course! Of course, official!!

'Did I notice a blushed tinge on your 'healthy' facial skin!'

After targeting film stars over smoking scenes, Ramadoss had Tuesday expressed his reservations against drinking scenes in films and appealed to film stars not to promote alcohol advertisements - direct or surrogate.

'I appeal to all of them not to promote alcohol. Alcohol cannot be justified as a stress reliever as portrayed in films. Liquor has become a subject of fun and humour in movies," he had said after unveiling the Alcohol Atlas of India.

The minister, however, had not named any actor.

Bachchan wrote: 'You have not named me, Honoured Sir, on this factor. It is perhaps the general knowledge amongst most, that I do not consume alcohol, nor smoke, nor eat meat, nor drink tea or coffee, nor Coke or Pepsi, nor paan or paan masala, nor Indian sweets or Chocolate, nor cake nor pastry and recently no rice. I am grateful for this mercy.

'But I have been named on your no-smoking campaign, along with my colleague the Great King Shah Rukh Khan.

'I applaud your concern, Sir, and applaud the choice of your example, in my dear friend and colleague, the other true King of Cinema, Rajnikanth. But Honoured Sir could we perhaps dare to inquire whether you, being in governance have considered first, to ban this dreaded habit from all government servants in the country?"

fan_of_Big_B thumbnail
Big B plans a memorial for his father

London, May 4: Bollywood superstar Amitabh Bachchan plans a memorial
 for his late father Harivansh Rai Bachchan, a distinguished Hindi poet whose contribution to
 literature, the actor feels "cannot be ever
 challenged".

"We want to do things in his memory, be it in the
 field of remembrance, research or in any other field
 but we will do it," 65-year-old Bachchan, who was
 here in connection with the launch of his
 forthcoming film 'Bhoothnath' on Sunday in an
 interview.

Declining to give details of the scheme, the ace actor said: "Yes, you will know
 about it. But his (Harivansh Rai's) contribution to literature cannot be ever challenged".

Harivansh Rai was a distinguished Hindi poet of 'Chhayavaad' (romantic
 upsurge) literary movement in early 20th century and was best known for his
 collection of poems 'Madhushala'.

Bachchan said that he derived his strength from his family, especially parents.
 "Yes, our parents have been our life and strength. They shall remain with us...
 I think of them and remember them every step of my day."
Responding to the recent tirade launched against him by Maharashtra
 Navnirman Sena Chief Raj Thackeray, Bachchan said, "It is a free country.
 Everyone has a right to say and feel what they like. I must follow the law of
 the land and I must follow the Constitution. I must follow my conscience. That
is what I have been doing."

Talking about opening a school after his daughter-in-law Aishwarya in Uttar
 Pradesh, he said, "A promise to the people of the region was made a year
 ago. We kept our promise and have laid the foundation stone for the school.
It will now be built and become operational. I will be involved in funding the
 construction and will be part of the administration through a trust."

Describing as "absolutely marvellous" his experience of working with children
 in 'Bhoothnath', slated for global release on May 9, Bachchan said: "It is
 absolutely marvellous to be with children. They come without any baggage.
 They are efficient and full of surprises. We always have to be on high alert as
 they give 100 per cent. Kids and animals can upstage you and destroy your job."

About his experience of working with Shah Rukh Khan in the film after a long
 time, Bhachchan said: "Fine, just like any other colleague."

In 'Bhoothnath', directed by Vivek Sharma, Bachchan plays the role of a ghost
 which is very protective of the house he inhabits because of a history of a
 wrongdoing against him, thereby preventing anyone to live there until a family
 with a little boy finds residence in it. He develops a kind bond with the boy
 Banku who believes he is not a ghost but an angel.

Juhi Chawla, who plays the role of mother of Banku played by Aditya Sharma,
 said "it was great pleasure being part of 'Bhoothnath'. I was thrilled to do this film."

"It is a kind of film that all age group can see," Sharma said, adding his
 message to children through the film is "never leave your parents".

Producer Ravi Chopra said, "the only person who could make the film,
 'Bhoothnath', happen was Amitabh Bachchan. Now after having seen the film,
 I feel the journey was well worth it. The film has worked out better than I had
 imagined and I am happy that its going to be part of the bouquet of the films
 that carries the name of BR."

About his forthcoming "Concert Tour" along with his son Abhishekh and
 daughter-in-law Aishwarya, Bachchan said: "We are doing it in July-August
 and it is to the western hemisphere, the UK, Europe, America and West
 Indies. Then we come back." He said preparation was going ahead on schedule.
fan_of_Big_B thumbnail
Amitabh on ghosthood, films and B'wood

Sunday, 04 May , 2008, 12:49

Amitabh Bachchan could have retired long ago. But luckily for everyone, he hasn't gone anywhere and, at 66, is at the top of his game. In the last three years alone, he's worked with some of the best-known directors with a penchant for artistic evolution and experimentation.

But as Big B himself says, as much as his role choices and co-stars have changed, some things about him remain the same. He loves to learn, is more anxious to promote his films than the distributors and producers, has to have tea and cookies while giving interviews, and can't get enough of life's little pleasures.

Excerpts from the interview.

B for BR Films, B for Baghban, B for Baabul, B for Bhoothnath, B for Bachchan and B for Blog. The only thing I can say here is'to B or not to B?

[Laughs] It's nice the way you've used the B in the question. But it's also a coincidence that happens to everyone in their life at some point or the other. Yes, I haven't worked with BR Chopra as a director but look at destiny'I'm working with BR Films. And now the entire media is talking about the blog which I've started, but then it wouldn't be possible without the help of media. I hope my views and opinions are appreciated. And if not, they are free to express theirs.

With so much going around'IIFA, Bhoothnath and Sarkar Raj--you seem to be the busiest actor around. What's your stress level like?

I don't understand why the media asks this question. I mean, whatever I'm doing is my job. Today if I'm given some responsibility, I'll make sure I fulfil it. Yes, my age does not permit me to do everything I want to, but I try and manage and adjust as per my convenience. And my stress level is normal at the moment.

Adlabs distributed and marketed your earlier film Baabul, which grossed 960,000 pounds and was one of the top 15 films ever on the UK box office out of 500 released. Now with Eros International distributing Bhoothnath, do you think this film will touch a million pounds?

Well, we all know how capable Eros International is. And with the stats which you've just mentioned of BR Films, I can't see why Bhoothnath can't do good business.

You're playing a bhooth in Bhoothnath and a genie in your forthcoming film Alladin. Do such roles allow you to tap the child within you?

We all have a child within ourselves and it does come out sometimes. So if films like Bhoothnath and Alladin give me variety, it also gives me freedom to be jovial and interact with kids and, of course, as you just mentioned, to tap the child within me.

You'd normally associate a bhooth with Ramsay Brothers or Ram Gopal Varma. But Amol Palekar in Paheli and Vivek Sharma in Bhoothnath have given a completely new dimension to their bhooths. Any comments?

You're right. They have. But let's not forget that the Indian Film Industry needed a makeover and it came at the right time. Yes, there is a risk of films not doing well while you experiment with new ideas, but there is always a light at the end of the tunnel, too. The way Vivek has made this film, you will not be able to tell that Bhoothnath is made by a debutant.

Why do you think the story of Bhoothnath is relevant?

Bhoothnath is not just another ghost story. It's a story of a little kid and a ghost who becomes friendly, their relationship and how, as it develops, they are able to sort out a problem which is quite universal like togetherness, family relationships, respect for elders and so forth.

Do you encourage your co-stars to take on your style and do you accept theirs when you're acting?

I have no style. I will never want to interfere with someone else's style.

You mentioned on BBC Breakfast, while promoting Bhoothnath, that you refrain from using the word Bollywood. But do you mind when people use that word in front of you?

Yes, because it's detrimental. It's degrading. We are the Indian Film Industry and why give it a defamatory terminology.

What did you learn about the mindset of young directors like Vivek Sharma from your years of research and study in films?

I've hardly done any research, but yes, I've had the opportunity to work with many prominent directors and new ones, too. I find the younger generation more excitable, aggressive in their passion to succeed, technically more savvy, more professional as far as managing their project is concerned and very keen to propel their graph upwards. Not that the others aren't either, but this generation is terribly independent, aggressive and wanting desperately to prove themselves at a very early age.

Merchandising a film has become an important marketing tool nowadays, from clothes to accessories to games. Do marketing of this sort change the fate of any films?

I don't know but I'd imagine it does, otherwise it wouldn't be there. Once a film becomes popular, perhaps there is a need and a desire to have a lasting identity with it so that the merchandising goods get manufactured and they remain with you. For Bhoothnath, too, we have come out with some games for the kids, which I'm sure they will love playing. In the past, we have seen that such strategies have been successful in the West. So why not try them here when it works. I'd say yes.

One learns on the sets that you are dedicated, the visionary, the go-getter and the one who shares a laugh with his co-stars. Is it an obsession, a passion that's necessary to get where you want to go or is that you've had enough?

No, I hope that I've never had enough because then it'll be a terrible moment for me. We look out for fresh things, new ideas, and fresh opportunities and the atmosphere on the sets needs to be very conducive in wanting to achieve that. So we work to excel in whatever we are doing and look for excellence in every department and try to work hard enough to achieve our goals and dreams.

How would you characterise your contribution and your achievement in the field of films and what do you understand about achievement now that you did not when you were young?

I don't think that there's been any great achievement as far as I'm concerned. I've just been fortunate and lucky to be in an industry which has looked upon me rather kindly. The fans have propelled me into doing what I've desired to do and I'm happy about that and I hope they continue looking at me in this manner. Industry changes happen because of changes in the society, changes in time and period and in the way the country has changed. All this is reflected in any kind of creativity. So if you find things different in our cinema, it is reflective of the above changes. I will always honour that and that is my achievement. These are some of the things I've noticed.

The road to shoot a film is not a straight line. It's a winding road. You must have faced set backs, frustrations and self-doubts while filming Bhoothnath and many other films. How do you deal with them?

I think that is true for any vocation in life, whether you are a journalist or an actor or a businessman. There would be ups and down and that's what teaches you about life and how to overcome hardships, obstacles and hurdles. I hope they remain because each hurdle is a great lesson in life. We need to struggle everyday to be able to succeed and to be able to look forward. If it were all smooth sailing, my life would be too monotonous.

The Indian Film Industry is more about the star kids. But when you see young talents like Aman Siddiqui, don't you feel they are the future and should be groomed well rather than see them in a one-off appearance?

I think Aman is very young and surely this is something that he will have to decide upon or let us say, his parents. But to say that the film industry is full of star kids is not entirely correct. Yes, there are children that are working who have stars as parents but that is a very natural phenomenon. I wasn't a star kid when I started off and neither was Shah Rukh or Salman and Hrithik or Hrithik's father, Rakesh Roshan. There are examples and I don't think that should be looked upon in a derogatory manner or in a negative way. When the same thing happens in business nobody says anything, when it happens in medical profession nobody says anything, then why films?

You also said on BBC Breakfast that the films you do is sort of an escapism for those who cannot afford luxury or want to escape from the daily worries. Why do you say so?

The question asked revolved around our Indian films, which are very big and colourful and so on, and I said yes, I think our films are escapist in nature and we need to show that to the common man who perhaps does not get an opportunity to see this. So if, by paying some money to watch a film, that person can get three hours to escape from his personal worries, poverty and hardships in life, that's what our cinema is all about.

From IIFA Yorkshire in 2007 to IIFA Bangkok in 2008, are there any cities and countries left now to host the awards?

[Laughs] Well, we always try to do things that are different and add more to the IIFA weekend irrespective of which country or city hosts it. I hope we continue doing that and try and make it better in the future years as well. Of course, IIFA weekend in Bangkok this year will also be special and remembered dearly because for the first time the entire Bachchan family will come together for Sarkar Raj, which is premiered there.

umi82990 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Originally posted by: fan_of_Big_B

In conversation with the Big B  

Amitabh speaks about his upcoming movie Bhoothnath

TIMES NOW caught up with Bollywood superstar Amitabh Bachchan who spoke about his upcoming film 'Bhoothnath' in London and it appears that the Big B has an interesting explanation for playing a ghost. He spoke about his experience of working with the little kid Aman and also about his new found interest, blogs.

You have done almost all sorts of roles and now you are playing ghosts. Is it a natural continuation?

Amitabh Bachchan: At 66 there is very little that you are left to do. You can't play the lead man, so they made me a ghost. There are roles that are more like my age and i am happy that they are thinking of these innovative little actions for me to do.

How were the dynamics on the set with the little boy?

Amitabh Bachchan: Kids are wonderful to be with, even in real life. When you ask them to act you are under threat as they can out do you and can put you on the sidelines. They are very natural and don't need any training. Banku, the characteer in the film is played by Aman and he is a delightful little fellow. I have worked with him on several occasions and had a good time working together.

How did you get into blogging and how sincere are you about it?

Amitabh Bachchan: I write everyday, if that can be termed as sincerity. I was unaware about this media and very recently came to know about it and quickly went into the mechanics of it and now I blog. It is a wonderful way of communicating with my fans and well-wishers. Its almost like sitting across the desk and talking.

good interview!
umi82990 thumbnail

Filmfare awards

Thanks.
umi82990 thumbnail

To be or not to be Amitabh Bachchan

Amitabh Bachchan's name is synonymous with enigma. He is the best thing that popular Indian Cinema has ever offered to the world and the best thing that ever happened to Indian cinema. He is the most popular Indian, in India and abroad. Somebody whose charisma reaches out to a truck driver in Ludhiana as well as to a home-sick NRI in London.

To be or not to be AMITABH BACHCHAN, a book that tries to capture and showcase the essence of Amitabh Bachchan. Written by Jaya Bachchan, it takes you through the journey of Amitabh Bachchan from being nowhere to somewhere to everywhere.
The book is a real treat for AB fans because it has over 500 eye-catching photographs. It took me two days to look at each and every photograph! There are several photos in the book that you want to see again and again and yet again! However, the book is very heavy, both in weight as well as on your pocket! But it is a collector's item!
Well, here are some highlights of the book for all my MS buddies:

AB and his parents:: Born to Teji and Dr. Harivanshrai Bachchan on 11 October 1942 at 3 am in the middle of the World War II. Bachchans were originally Srivastavas from Allahabad. He is the eldest of the two sons of Dr. Harisvanshrai Bachchan. AB emphasizes even today that he can never be the man his father was. His father was a well-known poet from a middle class Kayasth family. His mother on the other hand came from an affluent, forward thinking, Sikh family of Lyallpur, now in Pakistan. She was very fond of stage and was also offered a role in a film after her marriage but she preferred to become a quintessential homemaker. In a way she was responsible for AB's career because she always wanted him to take the centre stage.

AB and his struggling days:: Some people are born with the craft or are naturally gifted and AB is definitely one of them. He is also a self-made man. His brother Ajitabh clicked his photos around Calcutta's Victoria Memorial and sent those to a talent contest but, nothing happened! His voice was also rejected at the AIR, Delhi He was dropped from films like Guddi and rejected by directors like Manmohan Desai. Of course, later the Manmohan Desai-AB pair gave us numerous hit films with outrageous storylines! From been outrightly rejected to creating enormous name for himself in the world of entertainment, AB has come a long way.

AB and his first film:: We all know Saat Hindustani was his first film and that it was directed by K. Abbas but do you know who is to be credited for AB's existence in Bollywood? Any guesses? The credit goes to... none other than Tinu Anand! I'll tell you how! AB's photos were sent by his brother's friend to K.Abbas, the director of Saat Hindustani. Tinu Anand was to act in the project but dropped out on being called by Satyajit Ray to join him as his assistant. AB replaced Tinu and that's how he got his first film.

AB and his style:: If he had an odd walk, he converted it into a physical appearance befitting his screen character. If he took up dancing, he changed the criteria of judgment. If he became the silver screen superstar, he changed the concept of good looks. He made it a point to be judged by the criteria set by him.

AB and Jaya:: Their romance began on one summer afternoon under the Wisdom tree at the Pune Film Institute. Jaya was a popular student of the Institute and was chilling with her friends when K.Abbas arrived there with his bunch of actors. One of them was painfully thin, dressed in a simple white kurta and black trousers with chappals. Jaya told her friends that he was Harivanshrai Bachchan's son and wanted to be a hero. Her friends retorted, 'what are you saying?' They kept ridiculing him but Jaya just ignored them because she had secretly started admiring that tall man. They got married on 3rd June 1973.

AB and his kids:: Every Sunday he would bathe Abhishek in a typical Allahabad style by giving him a mustard oil massage and putting loads of oil on this head. This continued right till Abhishek was 11 years old.
AB would bring the roof down if someone fell ill in the house. This was because he knew that he had no control over the situation. Also, he would wake up at least twice in the middle of the night to check whether his kids were properly tucked inside the blanket or whether the draft of the AC was directly on their faces.
Now, he showers the same love on his grand children, NavyaNaveli and Agastya. He loves spending quality time with them. Especially, becoming a horse for them.

AB and his passions:: AB loves capturing moments on his camera. As a child he had a box camera and now he has a Nikon. His favourite subjects for photography are, his family and the sunsets. He is equally good at painting. He loves abstract painting. Another thing that he is extremely fond of is, reading various books at one time and ending up not reading any of those books completely! He loves music immensely. He loves to play the Sitar. He dreams of playing a Synthesizer and a Sarod some day. And can you believe, he has even composed some tunes!

AB and his accidents:: In 1982, he had a close brush with death on the sets of coolie. In an action sequence, he was hit on the Solar Plexus. He had almost died! He was going in and out of coma. It was only because of the prayers of his fans across the globe and their personal penance that he came back to life.
In 1983, he met with another tragic accident when a firecracker bomb burst in his left hand, leaving his hand damaged beyond repairs. His entire left hand had melted! It was after severe medication and matchless plastic surgery that his hand started functioning again. He shot for Sharaabi immediately after that and most of Sharaabi was shot with his left hand in his pocket.

Later, he was struck with an illness called Myasthenia Gravis. This happened either because of the heavy medication that he took during his Coolie accident or because of the blood transfusion that he had received. This illness made him feel weak both mentally and physically and he decided to quit films. He had become very pessimistic about everything and just couldn't handle the pressure of a new film's release every Friday. Before every release he would say, 'Yeh film to flop hogi!'

He took a month long vacation and returned to India on hearing about Indira Gandhi's assassination. Rajeev Gandhi needed his support and that's how politics happened to AB. Therefore his sabbatical from films lasted for 5 years from 1990-1995. Today, he has overcome all his weaknesses but still feels that he has a handicapped body.

AB and KBC:: He surprised himself and the audience as the TV host of the popular show, Kaun Banega Crorepati, that went on to become the National evening habit. Nau baj gaye kya became the popular question in town. Also Amitabh's style of saying, 'Please, please don't go away!' or 'Please take care of yourself.' caught the fancy of the audience.

Lastly, though the book doesn't really reveal everything about AB and leaves a lot of questions unanswered, it is a must read for all his fans.

The book is a must-read. I have personally read it about 5 times and I really enjoy it.