Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

fan_of_Big_B thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
"I'm not playing Mujibur Rahman" - Amitabh Bachchan

A report in a section of the press stating that Amitabh Bachchan would be playing the role of Bangladesh's founding father Sheikh Mujibur Rahman has the mega-star completely stumped, puzzled, and amused.

"I've no idea what all this is about. Lots of media persons have been calling since yesterday. I can't say where and how this report originated from. But it is not true," said the Big B from London on Saturday morning just before he boarded his flight back to Mumbai. Not only does the report state with absolute authority that the Big B plays Mujbir Rahman, it also quotes the film's producer as saying that the rest of the Bachchan clan, Abhishek and Aishwarya, will also feature in this bio-pic.

Continues the Big B, "I've no clue about this. There's nothing to it. At least not as far as I'm concerned. I'm hearing all this talk about this film for the first time." This isn't the first time that producers have made premature or unfounded announcements about the Big B's presence in a project. But it would have been interesting to watch him play a historical character. In all these years of superstardom, the Big B has never played a biographic figure. The closest he came to it was in Ram Gopal Varma's Sarkar where his role had shades of Bal Thackeray.

fan_of_Big_B thumbnail

Bachchan takes on Ramadoss: bring law to stop alcohol scenes

New Delhi, May 3: Bollywood megastar Amitabh Bachchan has appealed to Health Minister Anbumani Ramadoss to enact a law that would ban alcohol drinking scenes in films, in a strictly tongue-in-cheek entry on his blog.

type="text/javascript" src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js ">
"I shield myself behind the pages of our revered constitution and law and the censor board. Bring in a law to ban such participation and we shall follow it diligently Mr. Minister," Bachchan has written in his blog.

Asking for "mercy on professional actors", the mega star said they do not promote alcohol.

"We fake it on screen. Diluted tea, honeyed water, an aerated drink, soda watered to match the colour of champagne. That's what we are actually drinking on set to simulate the whisky.

"Our intoxication, Minister, is in the credibility we bring to a drunken scene without being literally drunk, not to propagate alcoholism," he explained in his entry made from his London hotel room.

"Have mercy on us, sire, we are but professional actors enacting stories."

Bachchan wrote: "You and your merry brethren, I have heard, allegedly (smart word to keep defamation at bay) enact similar stories when you seek admission every five years into the 'Large O' or to be more precise the 'Large Half O'!" The Large O refers to India's circular parliament building.

"I believe, Honoured Excellency, there is great respectability accorded to what I gather from sources (another smart word to keep defamation at even greater bay) to be, 'The Liquor Lobby', a body of distinguished 'hala ites' that, on the issuance of a licence to manufacture liquor, make gracious contribution to government coffers! Official, of course! Of course, official!!

"Did I notice a blushed tinge on your 'healthy' facial skin!"

After targeting film stars over smoking scenes, Ramadoss had Tuesday expressed his reservations against drinking scenes in films and appealed to film stars not to promote alcohol advertisements - direct or surrogate.

"I appeal to all of them not to promote alcohol. Alcohol cannot be justified as a stress reliever as portrayed in films. Liquor has become a subject of fun and humour in movies," he had said after unveiling the Alcohol Atlas of India.

The minister, however, had not named any actor.

Bachchan wrote: "You have not named me, Honoured Sir, on this factor. It is perhaps the general knowledge amongst most, that I do not consume alcohol, nor smoke, nor eat meat, nor drink tea or coffee, nor Coke or Pepsi, nor paan or paan masala, nor Indian sweets or chocolate, nor cake nor pastry and recently no rice. I am grateful for this mercy.

"But I have been named on your no-smoking campaign, along with my colleague the Great King Shah Rukh Khan.

"I applaud your concern, Sir, and applaud the choice of your example, in my dear friend and colleague, the other true King of Cinema, Rajnikanth. But Honoured Sir could we perhaps dare to inquire whether you, being in governance have considered first, to ban this dreaded habit from all government servants in the country?"
fan_of_Big_B thumbnail
An evening with the stars!

Amitabh with Shobhaa De (TOI Photo) More pics
Indeed when Amitabh Bachchan speaks, everyone listens.

Such is his command over words. So, when he got talking about Shobhaa De's latest book on India, he surely was incredible. Exemplifying, admiring and making a point about how Indians have progressed and where we still remain uneducated, Big B's words were resounding and kept the audience gripped. Before he took to the mike, there was a short reading session by Suhel Seth and a quick interview session with the author herself on the dais.

Tina Ambani walked in with a lovely bouquet of 'painters palettes', flashing her warm smile whenever a mention of the Ambanis would be made as role models for young Indians. "I hope I will get those flowers after this talk show," Shobhaa asked from the dais, and Tina nodded in affirmation.

Touching upon every aspect of India including the new generation Indian, the lifestyle habits of Narayan Murthy and the new-age Indian woman's power to lead, Shobhaa spoke about topics close to her heart. Present at the glittering function were Praful Patel, Nana and Munira Chudasama with daughter Shaina NC, the latter who was seen in conversation with Rashmi Thackeray, top cops Ahmed Javed and AN Roy along with his wife Mona, Tasneem Mehta and Anil Chopra. Avanti Birla, Haseena Jethmalani and Bijal Meswani found good company in each other, while Queenie Dhody was seen talking to Dilip De. The cocktail evening was filled with interesting discussions and the background sound of clinking glasses.

fan_of_Big_B thumbnail
Tollywood Superstar Prosenjit Becomes Amitabh Bachchans Biggest Fan!

In Swapan Ghoshal's 'Mahakal', West Bengal (Tollywood) superstar Prosenjit has got the chance to dabble with reality ' idolising megastar Amitabh Bachchan.

The film in question is a revenge story inspired by the Anil Kapoor and Madhuri Dixit starrer 'Parinda'. 'Mahakal' has a new girl Indira opposite Prosenjit

"I head an Amitabh Bachchan fan club in this film. We have shot a scene where one of Mr Bachchan's films has released and we are entering the theatre even when there's a houseful sign outside the hall. I am singing a song from one of his films. Amit Kumar is doing the playback. I have always been a big fan of Mr Bachchan. There was a time when I used to catch the first day first show of all his films,' says the die-hard Bachchan fan.

The chance to share screen space with his idol happened out of the blue via Rituparno Ghosh's upcoming 'The Last Lear'.

'I was so excited! It was a really small role and I accepted it only because of Mr Bachchan. I have a long shot with him, where I play a superstar. On the first day of the shoot, we both sat in a corner and rehearsed our lines. Can you believe that the shot was okayed in one take? He is really a lesson for me,' he adds.

Edited by fan_of_Big_B - 15 years ago
fan_of_Big_B thumbnail

fan_of_Big_B thumbnail

umi82990 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: fan_of_Big_B

Amitabh Bachchan, Juhi Chawla awarded for cultural promotion

London, May 02: Bollywood actors Amitabh Bachchan and Juhi Chawla were awarded for their contribution to cultural promotion at a function at the court house Kempenski here.

Lord Navnit Dholakia, NRI and Deputy Leader of the liberal democrats in the House of Lords, presented the 'International Award for Cultural Promotion' for 2008 to Bachchan last night describing him as an icon of the film industry.

Expressing gratitude to the star, Lord Dholakia said Bachchan, named the greatest star of the millennium by BBC online poll, had been a remarkable ambassador, not only in India, but for Indians all over the world.

"You have promoted the best in India all over the globe," he said.

In his brief response, the superstar, who flew in here yesterday afternoon from Bangkok, thanked the organisers for choosing him for the award.

Referring to Dholakia's remarks that his Scottish wife had seen Bachchan-starrer "Sholay" 15 times, Bachchan said, "We try our best to build bridges among the people."

Kartar Lalvani, an NRI entrepreneur and Chief of Vitabiotics, a leading vitamin producing company, presented the 'Cultural Promotion Award' to actor Juhi Chawla.

Chawla said she hoped to continue working to live up to the expectations of the people.

Congrats to both of them!!
umi82990 thumbnail

WOW!! The promos look great!
umi82990 thumbnail

What is this rehearsal for?!
fan_of_Big_B thumbnail
Raj goes ballistic against Big B
MUMBAI: MNS chief Raj Thackeray on Saturday continued to target superstar Amitabh Bachchan and his family but at the same time paid tributes to the actor as a "great artiste".

"Didn't Bachchan contest his first election from Uttar Pradesh? Didn't he become UP's brand ambassador? When he acted in a non-Hindi film for the first time, was not it a Bhojpuri movie? Didn't he start a girl's school in Aishwarya's name in UP?" Raj asked the audience at a public meeting here this evening.

"If such a great artiste, I am a very small man, loves his state, then why I should not have affection from my state?" Raj asked. He also said the MNS had no role in the bottle-hurling incident at Bachchan's residence here.

"My men did not do that. Had they done it, they would have thrown not a single bottle but a whole crate," said Raj.

He also referred to Big B's appearance in polio -eradication advertisements, saying "Health Minister Ramadoss says polio epidemic spreads from Uttar Pradesh. Why doesn't Amitabh go to UP to campaign for polio vaccination?"