Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

girivanam thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago
Thanks Meli. So when is this next interesting topic coming up?
Caryn thumbnail

Originally posted by: rojapoooo

Exactly Jas - You echo my views. Let us be responsible
for our lives and make the most of it - after all we have just one life - for all I know I could be a cockroach
in my next birth!!! ( ayye Rojaa, just for this thought,
you need to be bathed in Baygon - killing you now is
a better option 😳 😳, that is one cockroach less
for the future!!)

Roja!!!! Yepadi ammah......... I always tell my Indians friends, in next life I am going to be cockroach.  Because this life I am killing them with Baygon. 😆

Caryn thumbnail
Right... guys I am sure you will all be interested to know that my mum is not wearing black. We had cousins gathering yesterday, and some of my cousins who are so much younger than me said no to black when others suggested that all the guys wear black shirts for the engagement.

I was shocked about their mindset thinking so I don't blame my mum who is falling in this mind set.

Next, my target is to get a black saree/salwar and wear it to ........ hmmmm............. now where shall I wear it. 😉 I have to think hard. 😛

Now many of you may think this is retaliation. But in actual fact it is not. It is in me. IF someone says stealing is bad thing, something like this I will listen and follow to the par. But if they say,don't put your finger in the hot water because it is hot, I would purposely put my finger in to find out how hot it is . 😳 😃 Unless, they put God's fear in me, that will be a different case altogether.   ðŸ˜³
Kavitha Ravi thumbnail
Come on Caryn, if someone says do not put your finger there, its a live wire. Would you want to try? Even for the matter of hot water. listenma listen to the elders. I do not wear black to any auspious occasions. thats the rule in our house. Sorry if I am wrong.
Caryn thumbnail

No, you are not wrong Kavi. That is your belief.

But at the same time, I doubt I am wrong too. I cannot accept that in one way black colour is a no no because of superticion but in another way, the same says black is colour of amman. If you ask me, I am believer of God, so if black is alright for amman then it is alright for me. I am not a superticious person.  Do not even believe in Friday 13th.

Of course the sad part is, as a loving and dutiful daughter, I won't do anything to hurt my parents.

When I was young, my uncle drives a vespa. So he told me not to go near the scooter, because the exhaust is hot. Yet, I went and put my leg next to the exhaust just to see what will happen and sure enough my leg got burnt. 😳 I still have the scar. For I need to test before I can accept what is right and what is wrong.   So that is me Kavi. 😳   

Edited by Caryn - 16 years ago
Karthikka thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
I agree with Caryn. Black is a colour of mourning for Christians, not Hindus. The crow is black, yet do we not feed it as it is supposed to be Saniswaran? That black is an inauspicious colour was a belief imposed on our mentality by Christian missionaries.
Bonheur thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

[QUOTE=jasunap] bon, i would honestly request you tell us which indian traditional value you are talking about here.....
marriages fail because the people involved did not give their 100% to it.  when one spouse takes advantage of situations, or another takes advantage of opportunites, when one spouse contributes less into the marriage...these are reasons why marriages fail.  not the society or the culture..

/QUOTE]

Well, Jas. It's often said that there are more than two parties involved in most Indian marriages, i.e., when someone marries another, they also get an entire household of in-laws to reckon with. And, unlike Western society, where kids leave home by the time they are 16 or 18, Indians live with their families at least till they get married and continue getting moulded and influenced and sometimes threatened into thinking and behaving in certain ways.

This is not to deny your point that marriages usually fail because people are not sufficiently committed to making their marriage work. But sometimes even the most committed find themselves torn between spouse and parents. One of my brothers, for instance, found himself in such a situation -- torn between his wife and my mother. Left to lead his own life, he would have eventually worked out some of the differences with his wife but, with my mother inserting herself into the picture, the minor differences got magnified and other issues arose pitting mother and daughter-in-law against one another. The marriage eventually fell apart. Likewise, my sister's marriage might have lasted a little longer if not for my mother's prejudices against her son-in-law and his family and her resulting attitude and behaviour, which clearly had some impact on my sister.

Good discussion, folks. Like all generalisations, we can always find exceptions, so there is naturally a lot to debate here. 😛

jagdu thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
What about people who are divorced and have kids already? Does the spouse have a right to be nosey or spill ill will about the affairs of the other?
Should a remarried spouse go out and make the other miserable? In this case if it the male who is remarried? And on the other hand if it is female? I'm sure it's different. And there are lots of questions.
Aahaana thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Hi Guys, I am closing this thread as we are done with this topic.