Shanuindian thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago

Waiting in the wings: Shital Thakar

Shital turns to direction
Sunday, August 28, 2005 | Television

To direct a play for Aakanksha that will be staged in December

Sapana Patil

It is a known fact that actors enjoy dabbling in areas other than acting. Take the case of Akashdeep Saigal, aka Ansh of Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi, who has decided to make a film for children. Urvashi Dholakia turned producer recently and Amarr Upadhyay has taken to producing Marathi films. The latest to tow the line is actress Shital Thakkar, who has decided to deviate from acting for a while. She will take on her new role of director for a play called Kabeer Ka Rangeen Kurta, for the Mumbai-based NGO Aakanksha.

Shital plays the role of Purnima in Sony's Yeh Meri Life Hai. So how did this shift take place? "Krutika Desai (my co-star in Ye Meri...) has been working with this organisation for a year. This year she asked me if I could help with the children's play the NGO stages annually. Obviously this was for a good cause and I didn't want to refuse. So I began working on the project," she says.

Shital is formally trained in classical dancing but has no formal training in direction. "Krutika told me to take a look at the set up first. Luckily when I entered the scene, the script was ready. So I just had to take it a step further. I tried to implement what I have learnt from the directors in the past."

The entire experience has been very fulfilling for Shital, she tells us. "I have interacted with children from all age groups. Some of them could not even make it to the workshop because they had to do the household chores. But they are very hardworking and sincere. Some of the girls dance so well, that they gave me a complex," she laughs.

Shital acknowledges to have enjoyed her first stint with direction thoroughly. She states, "I had an inclination towards direction from the start. But I have always been busy acting. Now that I have taken the first step, I want to do direct something for television."

* The Hinglish play is called Kabeer Ka Rangeen Kurta. It is about a boy who hails from a small village and dreams of making it big. The play is a duration of one and a half hours. The play will have 70 children acting in it. It is scripted by Shaheen Mistry of Aakanksha and actress Krutika Desai. The play is co-directed by Krutika and Shital. It will be staged in December this year at St Andrews, Bandra. Shiamak Davar has choreographed the dances for the play.

* I have interacted with children from all age groups. Some of them could not even make it to the workshop because they had to do the household chores. Some of the girls dance so well, that they gave me a complex
– Shital Thakar

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Arsha85 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Thanks for sharing! πŸ˜› Edited by Kajolkidivani - 18 years ago
ThE_kHan07 thumbnail
thanks for sharing...so she's directing plays now eh? All the best! πŸ˜ƒ πŸ‘πŸΌ
desi gurl thumbnail
thanks for posting 😊

Sheetal's a lot smarter than Poornima πŸ˜† πŸ˜† She did the right thing by leaving the show
heart girl thumbnail

Originally posted by: tafarruz

thanks for sharing...so she's directing plays now eh? All the best! πŸ˜ƒ πŸ‘πŸΌ

i think that was poojas dream. poornima snachted everything from pooja ronit and then her dreamπŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†
dipsy thumbnail

So that's where she went ........ good going Shital.
surreal thumbnail
i always wondered what happened to her
thanx for posting πŸ˜›
Athena90 thumbnail
WOW!thanks for the info!! wish her all the best