Bitching doesn't bother me: Rani Mukherje

Enchanted1 thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago
It's the 11-year-itch maybe. Ever since 1996, she has done 35 films ..and just a year ago, was even acknowledged as Heroine No. 1. Then a somersault. She became associated only with the Yashraj banner and her cell phone numer became a national secret.

Yet, there's no denying that her very name sparks feelgood vibes among the audience..next Friday, she shows up in Ta Ra Rum Pum … no prizes for guessing the name of its producer.

Here are excerpts of a conversation with Rani Mukherji on fame and fortune and everything in between..by Khalid Mohamed

Ever thought of the No 1 tag?
It's a number that's given to you when your films are acknowledged as big hits. And it's taken away when they aren't. It's not to be taken too seriously..I've been given all sorts of tags from the Queen of Hearts and Queen Bee to the Khandala Girl.

Most stars pooh pooh awards. Do you?
No, I'd be a hypocrite to say that I don't love winning awards..when I didn't win the Best Newcomer Award (for Raja ki Aayegi Baraat), I felt awful. I was depressed for a few days but then I got over it.

Do you feel depressed when other actresses bitch you out for playing a woman over 40..as say in the last segment of Black?
No, no, I take that as a compliment. To carry off the role of a woman in various phases of her life ..from 14 and 24 to 40..isn't exactly easy ..it's tough to carry off.

I couldn't do The Namesake because its shoot was clashing with that of Karan's Kabhi Alvida Na KehnaBut didn't you nix Mira Nair's The Namesake.. because you'd have had to portay a mother of a grown-up man?
I couldn't do The Namesake because its shoot was clashing with that of Karan's Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna. I would have loved to add a Mira Nair film to my repertoire..and especially because the role was of a Bengali woman.

Really, there was a date clash..it wasn't as if I was making excuses. Today I really don't think I have to make up excuses.

Did you always want to become an actress?
I started off as an actress when I was just out of school. Cinema wasn't on my career agenda at all. If the movies hadn't happened, I would have been a jewellery or fashion designer..maybe I'd have been into interior designing.

I didn't feel good-looking or talented enough to be in the film industry. Whatever I've achieved is because of hard work and the support of my parents.

I've been through ups and downs, I've been bitched about behind my back which has stopped bothering me..thanks to my family and my friends..Karan (Johar), Aamir Khan, Anil and Sunita Kapoor, Sanjay (Leela Bhansali), Salman Khan and Shah Rukh Khan.

In a word, how would you describe Shah Rukh Khan?
Irreplaceable.

Aamir Khan?
Exceptional.
Have you felt uncomfortable about kissing scenes?
(Smiles) What! I've done two-and-a-half of those scenes..half with Saif Ali Khan in Hum Tum, one with Kamalji (Hassan) in Hey Ram and one with Abhishek in Yuva. There's nothing wrong with a kissing scene..it's natural..beautiful

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Fashionholic thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago
Is this an old interview? because she's done more kissing scenes than those mentioned!

i.e. With Amitabh in black