Computers, Science, Technology

False email / web ID may land u in jail

Poll

Should false email / Internet / web ID / Identity / Info b punishable?

Poll Choice
Login To Vote
tanveer.indian thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

http://infotech.indiatimes.com/False_web_identity_may_land_y ou_in_prison/articleshow/2427409.cms

NEW DELHI: If you have been furnishing fictitious information while registering yourself for an e-mail address with a website, you could be cooling your heels in a prison.

The government would soon make providing false information on the internet, including the residential or office address, for creating e-mail ids a punishable offence. The punishment could be a prison sentence of up to two years.

Many people provide false information on internet to get new or alternate email ids on the same website as at times the email service providers refuse to provide two ids to the same person. The new Act could catch such people unawares.

"A new section (section 66A) would be added in the proposed Information Technology Act 2006, which would make it a punishable offence to provide any false information about yourself," an official in the department of information technology (DIT) told ET.

The offence is punishable with imprisonment of up to two years and all the clauses applicable under the Indian penal code (IPC) for similar offences would be applicable, the official said.

The information about a false e-mail identity could be established with the help of the internet service providers and the IP addresses. It becomes easier to track a false e-mail address when a user has two or more e-mail IDs with different addresses.

It would, however, be up to the investigating agencies like the central bureau of investigation (CBI) or the crime investigation department (CID) to establish that a person is using false or misleading information on the internet, the official said.

The move is aimed towards giving a greater teeth to existing cyber laws. The new clause, in particular, would help investigative and security agencies put a tab on the communication by terrorists or other anti-national groups who use the internet as an easy tool for disguised communications, a security expert said.

The government is also planning to review the draft Information Technology (IT) Act 2006 in consultation with all stakeholders, including the industry and the user groups. The department is in the process of reviewing the act and has sought the feedback on the proposed changes from all stakeholders.

The decision followed the parliamentary panel's report that indicated some major flaws, particularly in the areas of cyber terrorism and child po*nography. The report also said that the draft act does not clearly define the term cyber terrorism.

The panel, constituted to look into the proposed changes in the IT Act 2000, had earlier this month pulled up the department of information technology (DIT) for flaws in the proposed amendments. DIT would also put the draft act for public comment once the review process is over.πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜ƒ

Regards,
Tanveer πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜ƒ

Edited by abide - 16 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

I dont think it should be an offense, lolss

As every1 on the net shuld b careful wht they right and u neve rknow who is getting hold of ur info which is dangerous, so sometimes dependin where u r writing, makin an false email isnt so wrong, esp with junk emails, n tht u dont want. Depends realy where u r doin this. 😳
tanveer.indian thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: anon

I dont think it should be an offense, lolss

As every1 on the net shuld b careful wht they right and u neve rknow who is getting hold of ur info which is dangerous, so sometimes dependin where u r writing, makin an false email isnt so wrong, esp with junk emails, n tht u dont want. Depends realy where u r doin this. 😳

Thanks a trillion for your vote and feedback/comments.πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜ƒ

Giving out the correct / right information on untrustworthy websites is (God forbid) fraught with dangerous consequences.πŸ˜•πŸ˜³

It could be (God forbid) misused.πŸ˜•πŸ˜³

Even websites like www.monster.com can't be trusted because its database of job applicants has been unfortunately hacked πŸ˜› and it seems like hackers have had access to the confidential personal details of all the job applicants.πŸ˜•πŸ˜³

It also seems like they've sold the original email addresses πŸ˜› of all the job applicants at a premium.πŸ˜•πŸ˜³

I gave out one of my original email IDs to a register myself to get a particular software because of which I'm unfortunately getting at least 10 junk emails per day from around the globe.πŸ˜•πŸ˜³

Unfortunately Microsoft or hotmail.com is the greatest sender πŸ˜› of spam or junk e-mails.πŸ˜•πŸ˜³

The number of junk emails which I'm likely to receive in the immediate future is unfortunately bound to increase further / progressively.πŸ˜•πŸ˜³

Even without this proposed new law, the government of India and its law enforcement agencies have the necessary technical expertise to track down the persons who sometimes send threatening emails using false IDs/info, within just 03 days through digital tracking.😊

Regards,
TanveerπŸ˜ŠπŸ˜ƒ

Edited by abide - 16 years ago
Originally posted by: abide

Thanks a trillion for your vote and feedback/comments.πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜ƒ

Giving out the correct / right information on untrustworthy websites is (God forbid) fraught with dangerous consequences.πŸ˜•πŸ˜³

It could be (God forbid) misused.πŸ˜•πŸ˜³

Even websites like www.monster.com can't be trusted because its database of job applicants has been unfortunately hacked πŸ˜› and it seems like hackers have had access to the confidential personal details of all the job applicants.πŸ˜•πŸ˜³

It also seems like they've sold the original email addresses πŸ˜› of all the job applicants at a premium.πŸ˜•πŸ˜³

I gave out one of my original email IDs to a register myself to get a particular software because of which I'm unfortunately getting at least 10 junk emails per day from around the globe.πŸ˜•πŸ˜³

Unfortunately Microsoft or hotmail.com is the greatest sender πŸ˜› of spam or junk e-mails.πŸ˜•πŸ˜³

The number of junk emails which I'm likely to receive in the immediate future is unfortunately bound to increase further / progressively.πŸ˜•πŸ˜³

Even without this proposed new law, the government of India and its law enforcement agencies have the necessary technical expertise to track down the persons who sometimes send threatening emails using false IDs/info, within just 03 days through digital tracking.😊

Regards,
TanveerπŸ˜ŠπŸ˜ƒ

Yes agreed, you can never be sure, after u have registered somewhere the security of your personal info.

Thats another killer, all the spam emails u get.😳 it just increases all the time. U register 4 one site, u get mails from things of stuff u neve rheard of before. Yeah you dont know which sites to actually trust anymore. 😳

And everything these days require u to sign up to access more info on what u r looking 4 there.

wow thats cool about digital tracking. Never knew that!