salman’s trial.....expected.....

rockstallion thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago
Randeep Singh Nandal
Friday, August 24, 2007 (Jodhpur)

Bollywood actor Salman Khan will go to jail, as a court in Jodhpur rejected his appeal against his conviction in the Chinkara poaching case.

Salman had appealed against a five-year jail term given to him by a lower court last year for poaching a Chinkara, an endangered species under the Wildlife Act near Jodhpur, in 1998.

The actor was not present in court on Friday. Instead his sister Alvira Khan appeared on his behalf and petitioned the court to defer the hearing.

However, the court rejected both the plea for deferring the hearing as well as Salman's original appeal against his conviction, with the courts closed over the weekend.

The actor will now have to surrender on Monday. However, the Bollywood star can appeal against conviction in a higher court in Rajasthan.

There was support from stepmother Helen, Salman's stepmother, who said families had to stick together at such moments.

But the big question is, where is he?

On Thursday, he was shooting in Hyderabad for Pokhiri, a remake of a Tamil hit but on Friday he has not been seen.

If Salman has to appeal against Friday's order in the Rajasthan High Court, he has to surrender first.

If he surrenders on Friday, he can move a bail application immediately, but he will have to spend Saturday and Sunday in jail as they are holidays.

Salman's lawyers have said they will file an appeal in the HC on Monday asking the court to give him three or four days to surrender.

So on Monday, they will file an appeal asking that he be given time to surrender, then after four, five days, will file an appeal against the conviction. This is to enable him to stay out of jail for as long as possible.

But there are holidays coming up on August 28 and 31, which means there could be more delays.

On Friday morning, Salman's lawyers probably foresaw such a verdict. His sister Alvira and his lawyers therefore tried to seek a deferment but failed.

If Salman doesn't surrender within a reasonable time period then non-bailable warrants will be put out against him.

Khan was convicted on April 10 last year for poaching of two blackbucks at Ujiyala Bhakhar near Ghoda Farm on September 28, 1998 during the shooting of Sooraj Barjatiya's film Hum Saath Saath Hain.

He was sentenced to five years of rigorous imprisonment and slapped with a fine of Rs 25,000.

After his conviction by a lower court last year, Salman had to stay in the Jodhpur jail for four days.

Other cases

In another poaching case in Bhawad in Rajasthan, Salman has been sentenced to a one-year prison term. He has filed an appeal against that decision too.

Salman is also accused the hit-and-run case of September 2002. He allegedly rammed his vehicle into a bakery on September 28, 2002 at Pali Hill road, Bandra killing one person and injuring four others.

The trial is on at the Metropolitan Magistrate's Court in Mumbai.

Salman's co-actor in Partner, Govinda, told NDTV that Salman was being targetted and that his conviction was not a good sign for the country.

''Nothing fails like success. Controversies are often created around young stars,'' he said. ''I am praying for Salman,'' he added.

Meanwhile, Mahipal Vishnoi, who led the campaign against Salman Khan, expressed joy at the verdict.

There was also jubilation in the Bishnoi community in Rajasthan for whom the Chinkara is sacred. (With PTI inputs)

😕😕

After SD's controversial case..............Salmans turn seemed next  😕

Salman on trials .....and judgements ?? fair or ........???

Is this kind of getting on the celebs nerves ??

Judiciary in action ...??  your comments ...

Edited by rockstallion - 16 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

rockstallion thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

I feel this topic should have been in ML....oops !! is more of a discussion than a debatable topic...😳

😕 Mods please move the topic to Members Lounge ..

Edited by rockstallion - 16 years ago
SolidSnake thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
I think this topic can exist here. After all this is debate mansion...

----

Breaking news: Sallu left for Jodhpur, going to surrender today.
sweetsang thumbnail

thats what i was talking to mum about...I mean just as SD's case silences down they pick on Salman...man..i really think they ..the pple filing the cases and stuff...want the press attention ..

mum said theer is case pending Sharikh also....
sareg thumbnail
when Sunjay Dutt got the punishment everyone was going hoarse crying why dont they do anything about real miscreants like Salman

now they are after Salman, people say they are doing this for publicity 😆

I guess we should give the celebrities license to kill 😉
Aanandaa thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: SolidSnake

I think this topic can exist here. After all this is debate mansion...

----

Breaking news: Sallu left for Jodhpur, going to surrender today.

Okieee, lets start the debate...And your point is.....

BTW, what's your siggy saying???Were you being sarcastic or something???     😎