Debate Mansion

Immoral to preach what one lacks?

raj5000 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

This thought came up after visiting my physician, who is major time overwieght and giving me lecture on being 2 pounds over.

Examples :

1. Investment suggestions by a person who himself if failure in investing.

2. Suggestions by less educated persons to people, to study more.

3. Relationship experts preaching on how to ensure a good relationship, while thier own personal life is in a mess.

Debate : Professionals preaching / lecturing pupils even if they lack to follow thier own principles, IMMORAL?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

raunaq thumbnail
raj, your boss has lately complained to me that you are not doing your work properly, you are busy dreaming of DM topics πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜† just kidding

i support you on this but partially, there are people who are being preached at by so called preachers who dont practise themselves such as people who lie and tell others not to lie or people who set forth certain rules but dont follow the rules themselves. i want to know where the conscience lies for such people πŸ˜• but you cannot gripe about the less educated people who ask you to study more. there are many factors to look at about such people. you need to assess why the less educated person is asking you to go forth, may be the less educated one was financially disadvantaged, thats another issue if the less educated never ventured for such act himself despite of having the chance. there are many factors to look at. may be they are penitent about their feats and therefore they dont want others to fall in the same loop, therefore they advice. in this case its not considered moral if he/she is preaching for your own goodness but if the person does detestable task that is avoidable by him yet he still does it and goes on being the lecturer then thats immoral.Edited by raunaq - 16 years ago
raj5000 thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: raunaq

raj, your boss has lately complained to me that you are not doing your work properly, you are busy dreaming of DM topics πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜† just kidding

i support you on this but partially, there are people who are being preached at by so called preachers who dont practise themselves such as people who lie and tell others not to lie or people who set forth certain rules but dont follow the rules themselves. i want to know where the conscience lies for such people πŸ˜• but you cannot gripe about the less educated people who ask you to study more. there are many factors to look at about such people. you need to assess why the less educated person is asking you to go forth, may be the less educated one was financially disadvantaged, thats another issue if the less educated never ventured for such act himself despite of having the chance. there are many factors to look at. may be they are penitent about their feats and therefore they dont want others to fall in the same loop, therefore they advice. in this case its not considered moral if he/she is preaching for your own goodness but if the person does detestable task that is avoidable by him yet he still does it and goes on being the lecturer then thats immoral.

Over all I agree and hear yaa, nice response as always Raunaq!

BTW - πŸ˜†πŸ˜† My car can complains more that not boss..escaped few wrecks lolss thinking while driving is not good.....for boss - justify my deed beyond expe...all good thereπŸ˜›

mermaid_QT thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: raj5000

This thought came up after visiting my physician, who is major time overwieght and giving me lecture on being 2 pounds over.

Examples :

1. Investment suggestions by a person who himself if failure in investing.

2. Suggestions by less educated persons to people, to study more.

3. Relationship experts preaching on how to ensure a good relationship, while thier own personal life is in a mess.

Debate : Professionals preaching / lecturing pupils even if they lack to follow thier own principles, IMMORAL?

I disagree.  It is the ATTITUDE and INTENTION that should be right.
Relationship expert may have suffered a relation-failure due to the other person being impossible!  The overweight doctor may have other aetological reasoning that you clearly may be unaware of.  Okay, investment advice?  I doubt those ppl fail anyway themselves.. dunno why and how they'd fail.
anyway, as long as the preacher does not CROSS the LINE.. and maintains good intention, they are as credible as a slim doctor and happily married relationship expert.
lbntl, if one can learn from their own mistakes and help others to learn what not to do, what is wrong??

NICE POST RAUNAQ.. πŸ‘ TFS
Edited by mermaid_QT - 16 years ago

This reminded me of an incident in Mahatma's life. When a lady told Gandhiji that her son eats too much sugar and requested him to correct the child. Gandhiji asked for 1-2 weeks time. Because he himself was addicted to 'gud' (jaggery). He controlled that and then adviced the child.

Another example from real life would be the things us parents do and don't permit kids to do them.

Now coming back to the question posed here I don't think it is immoral to correct a pupil. If the Prof. commited the same mistakes earlier then he would like his pupil not to follow that. That is not immoral.

raj5000 thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: mermaid_QT

I disagree.  It is the ATTITUDE and INTENTION that should be right.
Relationship expert may have suffered a relation-failure due to the other person being impossible!  The overweight doctor may have other aetological reasoning that you clearly may be unaware of.  Okay, investment advice?  I doubt those ppl fail anyway themselves.. dunno why and how they'd fail.
anyway, as long as the preacher does not CROSS the LINE.. and maintains good intention, they are as credible as a slim doctor and happily married relationship expert.
lbntl, if one can learn from their own mistakes and help others to learn what not to do, what is wrong??

NICE POST RAUNAQ.. πŸ‘ TFS

TFR (Thanks for reponse) ...

why should one expect or enforce his/her advise when one himself coudn't make things the way he/she is preaching? ok one point no one was there to advise but still, is not justifiable.. its better to just give zero advise.

Relationship - other person impossible, fair point, but then while advising make such disaclaimers. Still whatever be the reason preaching shouldn't be based on disclaimers.

Doctor - Explain the exceptions to patinet rather then making big statements.

Investors - Well, I know few who believed in thier gut feeling and failed, but what they advise is different,

Learn from one's mistake,  valid point, make that clear, accept the mistake and then preach. Still if one doesn't succeed in some task or action for XYZ reasons has not right force his thoughts. There are shouldn't be any excuses for failures but acceptance that one lacked or lacks doing the right thing.

raj5000 thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Maya_M

This reminded me of an incident in Mahatma's life. When a lady told Gandhiji that her son eats too much sugar and requested him to correct the child. Gandhiji asked for 1-2 weeks time. Because he himself was addicted to 'gud' (jaggery). He controlled that and then adviced the child.

Another example from real life would be the things us parents do and don't permit kids to do them.

Now coming back to the question posed here I don't think it is immoral to correct a pupil. If the Prof. commited the same mistakes earlier then he would like his pupil not to follow that. That is not immoral.

@bold similar to what QT said, my from diff angle now - yup right to advise on self mistakes..point is, as of today is he / she is still continuing not to follow thigns against what he/she preach, is definately immoral. For example -  watching more TV, took study hours from him/her. Preaches to children not to spend time on TV. Still he/she can make a difference doing something constuctive else then watching TV, unfortunately continues his/her devotion to TV and advises all to watch no or less TV is IMMORAL.

mermaid_QT thumbnail

TFR (Thanks for reponse) ...

why should one expect or enforce his/her advise when one himself coudn't make things the way he/she is preaching? ok one point no one was there to advise but still, is not justifiable.. its better to just give zero advise.

Relationship - other person impossible, fair point, but then while advising make such disaclaimers. Still whatever be the reason preaching shouldn't be based on disclaimers.

Doctor - Explain the exceptions to patinet rather then making big statements.

Investors - Well, I know few who believed in thier gut feeling and failed, but what they advise is different,

Learn from one's mistake,  valid point, make that clear, accept the mistake and then preach. Still if one doesn't succeed in some task or action for XYZ reasons has not right force his thoughts. There are shouldn't be any excuses for failures but acceptance that one lacked or lacks doing the right thing.

Raj, are you complaining about UNSOLICITATED advice ? 
Why would one go to the doctor / the shrink / financial advicer and not want their advice? πŸ˜†

@bold similar to what QT said, my from diff angle now - yup right to advise on self mistakes..point is, as of today is he / she is still continuing not to follow thigns against what he/she preach, is definately immoral. For example -  watching more TV, took study hours from him/her. Preaches to children not to spend time on TV. Still he/she can make a difference doing something constuctive else then watching TV, unfortunately continues his/her devotion to TV and advises all to watch no or less TV is IMMORAL.

There is nothing immoral if a parent drinks and advises his son not to. Same way nothing wrong if a Prof. spends his time watching TV and preaches his pupil not to. A fat doctor can advise the patient to control diet and lose weight.

In this argument I don't have an answer to WHY? I just think it is not immoral. It is just a good advise for someone's betterment. Someone who went to these people for advise.

It looks like unwarranted preaching when someone with no relation out of blue starts advising you on what and what not to do.

This content was originally posted by: mermaid_QT

Why would one go to the doctor / the shrink / financial advicer and not want their advice? πŸ˜†

Exactly πŸ˜•.