Posted: 18 years ago
Oscillating between genres
Chandigarh, July 22
Raj Kapoor thought her charms were endless; Mithun Chaktaborty thinks she is a legend. Placed comfortably between the two extremes, our quintessential performer Aruna Irani thinks less, acts more. Her days are packed with hectic schedules — formalising concept notes of teleserials, experimenting with techniques of presentation and inspiring younger actors with zeal. Though deep into tiresome projects, the latest being "Rabba Ishq Na Hove", a teleserial for Zee, Aruna looks every bit refreshed, as she looked today during a promotional visit to Chandigarh.

Actress Aruna Irani in Chandigarh on Friday to promote her latest Zee teleserial, "Rabba Ishq Na Hove". — Tribune photo by Manoj Mahajan
Blooming under her mentor's careActress Aruna Irani in Chandigarh on Friday to promote her latest Zee teleserial,

Blooming under her mentor's care

Sangeeta Ghosh feels confident in the company of her mentor Aruna Irani. She refers to Irani as her guide, her guru, her onscreen as well as off-screen mother. And Irani does not interrupt the flow of Ghosh's emotion. In fact, she facilitates it.

TV actress Sangeeta Ghosh in Chandigarh to promote her latest tele serial "Rabba Ishq Na Hove" on Friday. — A Tribune photograph

Princess Dollie in Rabba Ishq Na Hoye
   By: Chaitanya Padukone
   May 25, 2005

Karishma Randeva
Karishma Randeva is excited about working with Aroona Irani.

"She is someone I've always admired," says the chirpy actress. "I remember meeting Aroonaji when she dropped in to meet me on the sets of Kahaani Ghar Ghar Kii (she played the deglamourised Sonu in the show).

She wanted me to act in one of her serials, but since I was under contract with Balaji I had to decline. But I promised her that I would definitely work with her some day," she says.

So how come she agreed to play 'second fiddle' to Irani's blue-eyed girl Sangeeta? "I am cool with playing the second lead. I already play the title role in Princess Dollie Aur Uska Magic Bag and I won't be able to accept any full-length roles till that show is on.

But it's an interesting character and the twist in the tale is when my step-sister and I fall in love with the same guy," says Randeva.

But hadn't she recently dropped out of Tumhari Disha because she could not allocate dates? "That's true, but in Rabba Ishq… they needed barely six days in a month which I can spare," she justifies.

Now that her serial Princess Dollie has become more of a kiddy serial and her character has turned into a 'mini avatar of Harry Potter, does she miss being part of saas-bahu sagas?

Randeva says, "I would love to act in different kinds of serials and play a variety of characters. Which is why I dared to accept a vampish role in Kyun Hota Hai Pyaar. But yes, most of my fans are little kids and they love all the visual effects and my bag of magic tricks.

That is helping viewership for the serial to grow because these days kids handle the remote control in almost every home."

Aroona Irani
Aroona Irani, actress, director and producer

During shooting of your Punjabi films, did you happen to visit Ludhiana?

Unfortunately no! I visited many places near Ludhiana, but never came to this city. Now that I have got an opportunity to visit the city for promotion of my new serial 'Rabba Ishq na hove' on Zee Television. I feel the people here are warm and helpful.

What changes have you noticed in 50 years of your acting span ?

Obviously a number of changes have appeared in the five decades that I have been associated with films. It reflects the changes in society. The stories have changed, their treatment has undergone a sea change and whether the change is for better or worse, only time will tell.

Why have you dissociated yourself from the Hindi cinema?

After acting in 600 Hindi movies, I felt I should go in direction. So I started directing television serials. Luckily, all my three serials were runaway hits and gave me a lot of satisfaction. The competition between television channals has become intense and it forces everyone to make technically superior serials. My latest serial "Rabba Ishq Na Hove" is like a mini Yash chopra movie as it is extensively shot abroad.

Story & Concept of Rabba Ishq Na Hove

Rabba Ishq Na Hove is a passionate love story about Veera Malhotra who is an airhostess. Veera falls in love with Vivaan only to realize later on that Vivaan was playing a prank on her all the time. The love story depicts passion as never seen before in the history of television.

Veera decides to move on in her life, when she meets Aman. Aman completely charms her and Veera discovers True Love in her new relationship with Aman..

Shot Lavishly in the beautiful breath taking locales of Singapore and Dubai, Rabba Ishq Na Hove is the grand production of Aruna Irani, of the Tum Bin Jaoon Kahaan, Mehendi Tere Naam Ki fame..

Aditi Tandon Sangeeta Ghosh feels confident in the company of her mentor Aruna Irani. She refers to Irani as her guide, her guru, her onscreen as well as off-screen mother. And Irani does not interrupt the flow of Ghosh's emotion. In fact, she facilitates it. In Chandigarh today to promote their next serial "Rabba Ishq Na Hove", Sangeeta Ghosh and Aruna Irani consciously flaunted their proximity and let everyone know that they were here to stay and evolve together. While Irani prided in her find Ghosh whom she first spotted in the serial "Daraar", Ghosh loaded Irani with compliments. "We have teamed up well and have struck a winning combination. After the serials "Mehndi Tere Naam Ki" and "Des Mein Nikla Hoga Chand", we are again featuring together in "Rabba Ishq Na Hove". The latest serial is different from the previous collaborations. Although the theme is romantic, it is woven with practicality in mind. I play the female lead," says Ghosh who began her acting career as a child in the Hrishikesh Mukherjee direction "Hum Hindustani". Later she went on to work with filmmakers like Basu Bhattacharya and Lekh Tandon. Now one knows where her talent stems from. Ghosh throws more light on her life, "I have never taken a formal training in acting. But I feel there is nothing like training hands on. Thanks to Aruna ji and her team, I have moved from one reputed project to another and have managed to improve my acting skills." As Irani interrupts to tell how Yash Chopra recently complimented her for her discovery, Sangeeta Ghosh couldn't but feel proud. She added, "Films are a big temptation but there are many obligations at the television level. And I feel I still have to prepare myself before I take up any role in the films." About another teaming up with Varun Badola (the hero of "Des…"), Ghosh says, "The new serial has two male leads and Varun is one of them. It was a natural reaction for the production team to repeat the cast because we feel people like to see certain people pair up on screen. And we had such vibes from audiences. We knew they wanted us to bond again. Hence the repetition. I am sure it will be good for TRPs." With Irani and her production house guarding her cautiously, Ghosh has no reasons to wander around. She is not doing serials for any other production house. She tells "Association with Aruna Irani has been enriching. She has taught me the nuances of acting and we still share a great offscreen chemistry."

As for the serial, it will go on air this July 26 on Zee Network. While Ghosh plays the role of Veera, an airhostess who is confused about her love choices, Varun Badola and Nikhil Arya play her love interests. TNS

'Rabba Ishq... ' on its way...again!

This serial was perhaps the worst hit by the deluge that hit the city on 26 July -- the day it was supposed to go on air for the first time. So it was re-launched on 2 August...good for those who caught it twice!

What really made heads turn initially, was the rather 'hot' promo that hit our television sets early this month. Rabba..., in its first episode, scores in more ways than one…without even using its heat quotient!

Nikhil Arya, Sangeeta Ghosh and Varun Badola

This is one serial that spells 'CONTEMPORARY' to the T, a breath of fresh air, in an environment crowded with of conformists. This is a show that all working girls will perhaps identify with. Veera, an airhostess by profession, lives in a company owned flat, although her parents stay in the same city. Her passionate, almost violent desire to be independent and her no nonsense practicality, that makes her capable of differentiating between real life and fantasy make her a believable character.

Veera is illegitimate, and she hates her father's inability to stand up to his infidelity. She leaves no opportunities go by without reminding him about his lack of gall - she refuses to accept his blessings in private, challenging him to do so in public, knowing well that he won't be able to do so! This act perhaps defines Veera best. Kiran Kumar as the shame faced father, looks…well, visibly ashamed throughout the episode.

Aruna Irani, does what she looks best doing --- playing mom to Sangeeta. She plays a weakling, a woman very much in love with a man who doesn't have the gall to marry her. She is a silent onlooker to the friction that forms the basis of the father-daughter relationship. Karishma Randhawa, who plays the innocent Dollie in Star Plus' show, Hello Dollie, plays Sangeeta's younger sis. It's nice to see her doing something other than that teen fantasy show. We hope that she has something substantial to do here -- not that we are hoping for much.

Sadly, the one aspect of the first episode that really was a disappointment was Nikhil Arya

Varun and Sangeeta: will they work their magic again?

as Vivaan…Veera's passionate lover…who fails to turn up the heat! The actor, although not bad, needs a little fine tuning to match up to Sangeeta and later on in the series, Varun Badola. His performance is patchy and sometimes downright bad, specially when he says, "Tum kisi aur se shaadi kaise kar sakti ho?"

This Zee show definitely belongs to Sangeeta Ghosh, and, if the first episode is anything to go by, then she definitely rocks! But again, this comes from Aruna Irani's stable - the staple diet of a love story and related complications. It has been promoted as a 'bold, passionate love story,' but if it fails to sizzle as promised…then Rabba help them!

By ANANYA SENGUPTA

Posted on 3 August 2005
7:00 pm

Specials: Hair care

Tress Tales
Celebs share their hair secrets

Sangeeta Ghosh, TV actor
"I am a Bengali, so you can say that I am lucky to have healthy and long hair. Diet plays an important part in order to achieve a healthy head of hair. I eat fish and I think that's what keeps my hair healthy. Fish has a lot of vitamins to keep your hair healthy and also maintain its natural texture and colour. So, I would say that if you want healthy hair then you should start eating fish."
Pooja's lovely, and sangeeta: rock on girl! 👍🏼 👍🏼 👍🏼 Aroona Irani's been in the biz for 50 years!!

Sangeeta Ghosh

Sangeeta loses her jewels
Thursday, September 15, 2005 | Television

…and 'Rabba' crew has it tough in Dubai

Sapana Patil

Sangeeta Ghosh aka Veera of Zee TV's love saga Rabba Ishq Na Hove lost her bag containing jewellery on Tuesday in Dubai. The woebegone actress says, "I was shooting at the airport. After the shot, I realised my bag was missing. I feel sad because it contained loads of jewellery. It was expensive stuff."

Why was such expensive jewellery just lying around unattended during the shoot? "Most of it was part of my costume and some of it was personal. I have lodged a complaint with the lost and found department at Sharjah airport. Everyone is looking for it," explains Sangeeta.

What does she think happened? Sangeeta says she had not assigned any particular person to look after her belongings, like some other actors in Mumbai who have started to do so after losing valuables on the sets in the past. "The entire cast is here. We all take care of our belongings. We can't blame any one person in particular. I am sure it is misplaced. I found one bag but am not able to find the other," she adds.

The cast and crew of Rabba... flew to Dubai almost a fortnight ago. The plan was to shoot some sequences and also premiere the show there. But the trip appears to have been jinxed from the beginning. First, director Nandita Mehra realised her passport had been damaged in the July floods. She could not have it renewed in time for the trip and the cast had to leave without her. Then, on Monday, producer Aroona Irani's car rammed into another. Aroona was on the look out for shooting locales when her companion lost control of the car. Luckily, she escaped unhurt.

The crew intends to be back in Mumbai by 19 September. Here's hoping that no other accidents befall this bunch. Rabba inhe bacha ke rakhe…( God save them)

* I feel sad because it contained loads of jewellery. It was expensive stuff— Sangeeta

Nandita Mehra with actress Sangeeta Ghosh

Passport problems for Rabba Ishq…director
Wednesday, September 07, 2005 | Television

Aroona Irani will step in as director in absence of Nandita Mehra

shweta teotia

This will probably be the first time when the cast and crew of a television serial will have to leave for an overseas schedule without their director.

Nandita Mehra, the director of the show Rabba Ishq Na Hove, may not be able to accompany the cast due to the absence of her passport. What makes the situation dire is the fact that there is a premiere slated for September 11 in Dubai making her presence there absolutely necessary.

Was it carelessness or was there another reason for Nandita's carelessness? "It's not that I've been callous. I have been flying for a long time and I do understand the importance of a passport. It's just that my passport got damaged in the rains and I wasn't keeping well after that.

So it took me sometime to re-apply."While her chances of getting her passport on time are slim, Nandita refuses to be pessimistic. "I was in tears when I found out that I would be left behind. We were supposed to fly today morning. Luckily the schedule got postponed and I hope things will be alright."

As for the passport, she says, "I have been running around trying to use some influence to get it on time but so far there hasn't been any development. Even Aroonaji came with me to request the authorities personally. Let's see what happens now."In the absence of Nandita, Aroona Irani, the producer of the show will step in as director for a couple of episodes. That is till Nandita can reach Dubai. "I have requested Aroonaji to take over. Why should there be any unnecessary delays because of me."

Aruna Irani was unavailable for comment.