~ * * ~Meiyang Chang Fan club~ * * ~

angierockzzz thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

Meiyang Chang

Place: Dhanbad (Jharkhand)

Send a message to Meiyang Chang
Videos    

This Chinese boy with an Indian heart believes he is the best and can keep an audience entertained. Simple and easygoing, he has never trained in music, but believes he inherited his 'singing genes' from his father.
  • His hobbies are reading, acting in plays, sketching and making cartoons.

Judges' comments
    Anu: I love your voice, it is magical. You will make it to the top 5.

Aside: After being selected in the audition round, he celebrated by jumping into the swimming pool. At the insistence of other contestants, he repeated his act again!

• Articles on Meiyang Chang:

"Indian Idol is a turning point in Meiyang's life."

- Gaichen Chang, Meiyang's mother.

"I've never seen him being so driven for something," claimed Gaichen Chang, mother of Meiyang Chang. She runs a Beauty Parlour at Dhanbad. Meiyang's father is a dentist. The reason why Meiyang never thought twice before joining the college of dentistry. So, when did a career in music came into picture? Gaichen smiled, and told us that she never knew that Meiyang was serious about a music career, till Indian Idol happened. "You can say that Indian Idol is a turning point in Meiyang's life," said Giachen Chang. Meiyang had gone to Bangalore for MDS entrance. One fine day, he called from there and told us that he has cleared the audition for 'Indian Idol.' We were surprised. We had seen the show earlier, but never had a clue about how big it is. Public in Dhanbad is praying for Meiyang. He is a hero out there. Meiyang has always been multi-talented. He was a good painter in school. In college he used to participate in music competitions and has won many prizes. Surprisingly he never got any training in music. Gaichen thought that it was a passing phase for him. At Dhanbad, a music career is no career at all. And shifting to Mumbai was never an option. "But we'll support him in everything he does; we want him to make the best of what ever he wants to do." Meiyang has grown a surprisingly huge fan following through the show. It's not just because of his singing. But for his cute looks as well. It seems that he gets more girl votes than the guys. Geichang gave a wide smile now. Does he have a girl friend? Gaichen shook her head "No, as far as I know he doesn't have one yet." But then if the girls keep chasing him who knows?

What are his chances of winning? The contenders are quite strong, admitted Gaichen. Charu and Deepali are very talented. But Meiyang is also among the best in the show. Whatever the audiences decide, we'll take it sportingly. He should make the best of whatever god has given him.

Meiyang Chang
    Meiyang Chang's achingly innocent voice and humble demeanor make him sound like a young Kumar Sanu. I'm rooting for him to win Indian Idol, and not only because of his voice. Chang winning would throw a fag on the pyre of the idea of India as a nation-state. He would throw in the BJP's face the idea that the cow belt has a monopoly on who's a true Indian. He would do it in the most patriotic way possible, singing the songs all of northern India knows. Once you see Loins of Punjab Presents, you might find a certain resonance.

But until Chang lands in the finals, it's painful watching him go through the whole 'But you look Chinese!' routine every round. Here he's asked to speak the other tongue, and his response is brilliantly subversive: he claims the only words he knows are, 'I don't speak Chinese.' Watching Chang parry casual Indian racism is like watching Aishwarya play Sati-Savitri on screen. They're masters.

Meiyang Chang - Indian Idol ContestantJune 6th, 2007

Remember Sanjaya Malakar from American Idol. Out of the blue he had become house hold name in USA. Meiyang Chang is going do same in india?. I think he is already one of the top contestants in Indian Idol. This third generation chinese from India is a dentist by profession who is popular for his good looks and he also sings very well. Overall looks like he has got a pleasant personality. (Don't know somehow Indian idol site says "Contestant from China" though he himself had said that
    he is third generation Chinese in India)

Udit Narayan who is one of the Judges had said that Chang had sung the song even better than Udit himself after hearing the song from chang which earlier was sung by Udit Narayan in a movie. Can have a look at the Chang's Performance in the below Video

here is the link: https://bloggomatic.wordpress.com/2007/06/06/meiyang-chang-in dian-idol-contestant/

Meiyang Chang
    Astrological Sign: Libra
    Zodiac Year: Dog
    Industry: Science
    About Me
    I'm a
    Buddhist but I dont believe in clashes & wars due to religion. I like people who have a dry sense of humor,who are sarcastic,quick witted & like to flirt. I love food and I love my friends. If you cook something for me & I don't say a word about it, it means its really good. Coz I wont have my mouth free to praise it. Ive been accused of being insensitive, and my face is NOT an open book. The only time you can make out what Im going through is when Im angry, otherwise I can keep people guessing! Ive always been a person who communicates better in writing. And a blog gives me that outlet to express myself. Its not only about expression but also a medium for so many things going through my head which may be insignificant for others. Im always game for a little adventure. I love cartoons like Calvin & Hobbes and Tom & Jerry, and will continue to do so no matter how old I grow. I hate liars, hypocrites & people who believe that life is time-pass.My greatest fear? Drowning! Coz thats the closest Ive come to dying ever, more than once. I also believe that girls are the biggest mystery in the world and it is beyond the capacity of us mere mortals to solve this mystery

What did you dream when you ate a spider while sleeping?
    Do snakes dream? For that matter, do snakes eat spiders?

Interests
    Reading Friendship Learning new things Dancing (still learning how to) Blogging Yakking away to glory Theatre
    Favorite Movies
    Rang De Basanti Crash AI
    Saving Private Ryan Forrest Gump Lord of the Ring trilogy
    Favorite Music
    Lucky ali M.M. Kreem Ankahi Kailash Kher Rabbi
    Coldplay Strings Konkani folk song "Surangini" Ghulam Ali Silk Route Indian Ocean
    Favorite Books
    The Fountainhead Anne Frank's diary Harry potter The Da vinci code Great expectations Mein Kampf My land & my people -
    Dalai Lama Wuthering Heights

here is the link: https://www.blogger.com/profile/12567588167819429852

Patients' Loss is Indian Idol's Gain - Meiyang Chang

Watch the Doctor in Action, as Meiyang Chang a Dentist by profession gets popular for his Singing Talent!!

E-mail E-mail   Comments 14 Comments

< =send_article.asp method=post> </>
    Email this Article [Hide]
    From Email* < id=from size=40 name=from> *
      Seperate multiple addresses with commas(,)
    To Email* < id=to size=40 name=to> *
    < id=message name=message rows=4 cols=32></>
      function reloadCAPTCHA() { document.getElementById('CAPTCHA').src='CAPTCHA/CAPTCHA_ image.asp?'+Date(); }

< id=securityCode maxLength=12 size=12 name=securityCode autocomplete="off">
      < =submit value="Send Email Now!" name=Submit> < id=news_id = value=257 name=news_id>

All hearts are broken, all girls are 'Fida' watching the Dentist singing. Yes, no points for guessing, we are indeed talking about the Chinese Connection in Indian Idol, Meiyang Chang. With his pleasing smile, good looks and good nature, Chang is now known as the 'Most Popular Guy' amongst the contestants and crew. What's more, the audience loves him too and he is one of the favourites of the viewing public...It is the first time a dentist is on the show showing his singing skills, but one with a Chinese connection too. "I am an Indian" points out the fourth generation Chinese. Of course he is. Just listen to him belting out Hindi songs with perfect pronunciation. Even Javed  Akhtar is impressed.

Whatever he be, Indian or Chinese, the fact remains that some people back home are going to live with the pain of losing a good dentist. So can we say, "The patients' Loss is Indian Idol's Gain?"

Author: Srividya Rajesh
    Contact Author: PM Sree

...I look Chinese but my heart is Indian

Chinese dentist who makes finals in Indian Idol tells reporter SHEELA NARAYANAN:

HE speaks with a thick Indian accent and sings Hindi songs with passion and aplomb.

Click to see larger image
    (Top right) Meiyang Chang (extreme left) squatting with the rest of the Indian Idol hopefuls. Standing in the centre are judges Bollywood songwriter Javed Akhtar (in pink); singer Alisha Chinoy (in silver), and singer Udit Narayan (in red shirt). (Below right)) Meiyang performs to a rapt audience.

And fans of reality TV series Indian Idol have been showering him with votes to keep him in the top 20.

His fans have gone as far as putting a clip of his segment from the show on video sharing website YouTube.

But wait, don't be surprised.

This young man is Meiyang Chang, a 24-year-old Indian-born Chinese dentist who hails from Dhanbad, West Bengal, where a small community of Chinese migrants have long held root.

Meiyang has quickly become a hot favourite in the third season of Indian Idol, the local franchise of the global reality show.

As the only Chinese in the finals, he has surprised many Idol fans and garnered much support among netizens, especially female fans, who have dubbed him 'cute', including those here who catch the weekly show in Singapore on Sony Entertainment Television (StarHub Ch 91, 11.30pm to 1.30am).

Video clips of Meiyang's vocal performances are also widely circulated, and a big hit on YouTube.

And it's not just looks or the novelty factor. Enthusiastic fans have touted him as a potential top five finalist for his vocal prowess. Right now he is in the top 13.

Speaking to The New Paper recently from Mumbai, where he was rehearsing for the show, Meiyang admitted he was a little surprised by all the excitement surrounding him.

'I am really happy and very flattered by the attention,' he said in fluent English with a thick Indian accent.

A third-generation Indian-born Chinese, Meiyang's forefathers hail from the Hubei province in China.

Said the young man, who is a Buddhist: 'They came over mountains and through forests to India. But I can't speak the dialect very well or any Mandarin.

'I only know a few words here and there. I may look Chinese, but my heart is Indian.'

He added that his grandmother and his parents still speak to each other in their dialect.

Meiyang explained that he didn't have the opportunity to pick up his mother tongue as he was sent to boarding school at the age of 7.

Said the only child of a dentist father and a mother who owns a beauty salon: 'They did it because they wanted to give me a good education.

'Some compromises had to be made, which meant I had to be away from them.'

But life at boarding school was 'a very bad time', he revealed, as he was teased for looking different from the other boys.

As a result, he said he ended up being very shy and reserved despite his easy-going persona on television.

'I was the only Chinese boy there, so I was the butt of all the racist jokes. It left a deep impact on me,' he said.

He went on to follow in his father's footsteps by doing dental studies in Bangalore because 'dentistry is in my DNA'.

'My father and most of my cousins are dentists,' he added.

Two years ago, he graduated from dentistry college and started a practice in Bangalore, where he eventually auditioned for Indian Idol.

While he claims to be a bathroom singer, he believes he inherits his set of pipes from his father.

'My dad has always watched Indian Idol and he sings very well. I thought I would give it a try since I love music a lot,' he said.

Apart from wowing home audiences, Meiyang's singing prowess has drawn extravagant praise from Indian Idol 3 judges.

Judge Anu Malik, a popular Bollywood music director, told him on one episode: 'I love your voice. It is magical. You will make it to the top 5.'

Another judge, Udit Narayan, described his singing as 'fantastic.'

The blogosphere has also been buzzing madly about him. One blog called UltraBrown said: 'Meiyang Chang's achingly innocent voice and humble demeanor make him sound like a young Kumar Sanu (popular Bollywood playback singer).'

Fans on the Indian Idol forum sites have also praised his voice.

Ms Anju Daryanani, a 48-year-old businesswoman, who never misses an episode, said she was amazed that a Chinese boy could sing Hindi songs so well.

'I was eating pizza when I heard him sing. I was so surprised, the pizza fell out of my mouth,' she said.

But while Meiyang is blazing the trail for his community on Indian Idol, he isn't the first Indian-born Chinese contestant on an Indian reality television show.

There is Chou Chiang, 31, a Mumbai-based freelance photographer who was on Channel (V)'s reality show, Crush, a few years ago.

The show had lovelorn young men tracking down a long-lost 'crush'.

Recently, another Indian-born Chinese man from Kolkata, 20-year-old Anthony Yeh, won a reality show called Roadies, about a group of young people on a cross-country motorbike trip.

Both Crush and Roadies were not screened in Singapore.

When contacted, Mr Chou said Meiyang peaked interest outside India because of Indian Idol's popularity on cable television.

'In a way, his being there puts the community on the national map. The Chinese community here is very averse to popularity. They hate to be in the limelight,' he said.

Meiyang's popularity could also be due to his novelty factor on the show.

One that he willingly admits might be the reason why his star is still shining bright.

He said: 'But once the novelty wears off, then it's my singing they have to judge me on.'

I lookhinese but my heart is Indian

By Sheela Narayanan

Link of video medley on chang:

https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/660787

List of Fans:

angierockzzz: Anjali
    srk_lover : megha
    angel_111 :
    S a r a h: sarah
    A.S.P.I.R.E: shwetha
    Ananya_a : Ananya
    spsharmila: sharmila
    madhy: madhy
    Connie: Connie
    Adorable_Ankita: Ankita
    Kanchi: Kanchi
    S.Abbas : Shamila Abbas
    mansi101590: mansi
    pinky no1: pinky
    Meiyang Fan: Josam
    laddoo598: Tanny
    shahana_mahak: Shahana
    ihateu :
    tumhari? :
    dream_desire: Payal
    desaisonam07: sonam
    ummmmm:
    sus_karan : Sushmita
    inaanki : ankita
    prachi25: prachi
    buttercup : buttercup
    a_ilyas : Annum
    REX rox : Ankita
    kshreya2002 : Manideepa
    richmich :
    simplyvivacious : Vivacious Sarah
    .:blackoutz:.:
    ria_loves : Ria
    lrl_fan14 : Tia
    Anusha :Anusha          ;

Edited by angierockzzz - 16 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

prap thumbnail
    I like him too.. but at this point, i can't really say that i'm his fan!! it's not been that long... But i really do like his voice and the way he sings and his personality (judging from the little i've seen of him)
    Chatoyant. thumbnail
    Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
    I like him aswell, will definetly hope that he makes it into the Top 10 atleast!
    angierockzzz thumbnail

Originally posted by: tpam

yaa i too like him! 😃 !! bt yaar wait till the piano rounds! 😆 !! i knw he will definitely reach top 5 if things go well 👏 👏

I know.....but the way i look at it is...no matter what happens in the piano rounds...tht's not gonna change the fact tht i'm a fan of his voice...and being a fan of one contestant doesn't mean that you cannot like...any other contestant....😳😛

buttercup thumbnail
    Moving to Celebrity Fan Clubs

FC's not allowed in II.

I will keep a link of this in II section! 😳
    -DulceMaria- thumbnail
    Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
    i love him 😳 count me in 😃
    natalie.
    angierockzzz thumbnail

Originally posted by: buttercup

Moving to Celebrity Fan Clubs

FC's not allowed in II.

I will keep a link of this in II section! 😳

Okies.....thanks...sorry i didn't noe the rulez....😛

angierockzzz thumbnail
    A biggggggggggg hug to all memebers 🤗 and more are welcome...hope to see more wonderful performences frm meyiang this fri-sat 👏 👏 👍🏼Edited by angierockzzz - 16 years ago
    desaisonam07 thumbnail
    i lovee himm!!..so count me inn...his voice sounds so innocent and honest..its cute!..
    Mrs.SalmanKhan thumbnail
    yeh he'z gud count me in. . . where'z the fan list lol add me in it<33 😳