Meet the real Mrs Chhaya-SUNITA

rosewood104 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
Meet the real Mrs Chhaya
   By: Shaheen Parkar
   April 21, 2007

Shefali Shah is old news (and gets very annoyed by the reference). Actress Sunita Sengupta married Harsh Chhaya in 2003

Blissfully happy: Sunita Sengupta and Harsh Chhaya
Much to her annoyance, film and TV actress Shefali Shah is still referred to as Shefali Chhaya (she was earlier married to actor Harsh Chhaya). So much so, that she repeatedly tells people to 'Get my name right' (HiTLIST, March 7).

The real Mrs Chhaya, however, is Bengali actress Sunita Sengupta. Sunita does both films and television, and of late, has been doing a lot of commercials as well.

Four years together

After a brief gap, Sunita has returned to the small screen with Ajai Sinha's show Ghar… Ek Sapnaa on SaharaOne.

She plays the career-conscious Dr Arati along with Kiran Karmarkar, who essays the role of her brother Shekhar, an IT professional. Hubby Harsh also features in the daily show.

"My association with Ajaiji goes back a long way back. I had worked with him in his earlier show, Astivta. I featured in around 200 episodes as Anandi, who was Abhimanyu's (Varun Badola) sister," says Sunita.

She has also featured with Harsh in films like E Niwas' Dum and Sanjay Daima's Ramji Londonwale. The couple wed in 2003. "In May, we will celebrate our fourth wedding anniversary," says Sunita.

"We met during the pilot shoot of Shivam Nair's serial, which was tentatively titled Des Pardes. I was cast opposite Vivek Mushran, while Harsh played the role of my brother-in-law. The show never took off but we ended up together."

Dabbler

Prior to her marriage, Sunita (who began with Bengali television) would constantly travel back and forth between Mumbai and Kolkata for shoots.

"I am still doing Bengali films, and recently also shot for a Marathi film, Bipin Nadkarni's Evdasa Abhal. As I play a Bengali character in the film, language was not a problem."

Earlier, she featured in Shubha Mudgal's video Seekh Le, directed by Pradeep Sarcar. Between her numerous assignments, Sunita has also acted in Roland Joffe's City of Joy. Sunita begins shooting for Ghar… Ek Sapnaa next week.

cheers

resh