summaryof HBP (Spoiler Alert)

cdesai12 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
A quick summary of 'Half-Blood Prince'

Spoiler Alert: Contains plot revelations, deaths ( to read the spolier which is located at the end the article...you will  need to highlight and read as fonts are white...)

06:06 PM CDT on Saturday, July 16, 2005

By JEROME WEEKS / The Dallas Morning News

Spoiler Alert: What follows is the first quick synopsis of the events in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince to appear on the Web – including all major plot revelations and deaths.

Because Lord Voldemort is back and so many uncontrollable, evil things are happening, Cornelius Fudge has resigned as Minister of Magic and replaced by Rufus Scrimgeour, a vampire.

Draco Malfoy has become a Death Eater and arranges to smuggle a secret item into Hogwarts. Voldemort has sent him on a special, possibly suicidal mission, possibly to kill Harry. Draco's mother has Severus Snape swear an Unbreakable Vow to keep Draco from harm, if he can, and aid him on his mission.

Harry inherits the late Sirius Black's house – although Sirius' murderer and sister, Bellatrix, also has a claim to it. Harry becomes captain of his Quidditch team. Draco declares he may never finish school next year at Hogwarts because the Dark Lord will value his loyalty and service before then.

Professor Dumbledore takes Harry on a memory-trip vision to witness Voldemort's origins - with the Dark Lord's grandparents, who are Merope Gaunt, a witch, one of the last of a long, pure-blood magic family, and a Muggle named Tom Riddle. But like Harry, Voldemort soon becomes an orphan.

Harry gets into a Potions class at the last minute, taught by a new teacher, an old friend of Dumbledore's named Slughorn whom he's brought back to Hogwards. Harry is issued an old magic textbook with scribblings on it from the previous owner: the Half-Blood Prince.

A female student named Katie Bell unwraps a package while in Hogsmeade, the local village. She finds an old locket - and is nearly killed by it. Harry learns from another of his visits to the past that the Slytherin locket belonged to Merope Gaunt, Voldemort's grandmother. And he learns that Riddle/Voldemort has murdered people for that locket. he also learns that Riddle/Voldemort tried to become the teacher of the Defense against the Dark Arts class but was refused by Dumbledore, even though Dumbledore knew Riddle/Voldemort was after something else entirely.

Ron, Harry, Hermione and Ginny get into various who-kissed-whom, who's-cheated-on-whom arguments. Jealous, teenagery arguments. And like teenagers, everyone switches partners in a matter of weeks. Ron accidentally swallows a love potion.

In their memory-traveling, Harry and Dumblebore see Slughorn meet Voldemort when Slughorn first taught at Hogwarts – but Slughorn's memories have been deliberately "cleansed." Harry tries to get into Slughorn's good graces to find out more about the "horcrux" memory but fails.

Harry gets two house elves to spy on Draco. He's becoming paler, greyer – perhaps his mission is going badly. They see him regularly sneak into the Room of Requirement. Which Harry can't enter.

Hagrid's favorite giant spider, Aragog, dies. He holds a funeral for it, and Harry uses the occasion to get Slughorn drunk and get the "horcrux" memory he needs.

A few days before yet another Quidditch match, Harry heads into a bathroom to find Malfoy talking to Moaning Myrtle. They battle, Harry nearly kills Draco. Snape saves Draco and demands to know how Harry knew such a curse. Harry is given detention, which will prevent him from playing in – yes – the Quidditch match.

Harry learns that it was Snape who told Voldemort about the prophecy concerning Harry, and he accuses Dumbledore of bringing Snape to Hogwarts in the first place. But Dumbledore convinces Harry to accompany him to a cave where Voldemort has left a "horcrux" - essentially a piece of his soul. Dumbledore must drink a potion (that contains the locket) and it nearly kills him. Harry helps him back to Hogwarts - only to find Malfoy has let Death Eaters in.

If you do not wish to learn the ending, do not read any further.

Dumbledore immobilizes Harry (under his Invisibility Cloak) but is disarmed by Malfoy. Malfoy and the Death Eaters can't kill Dumbledore – but Snape can, blasting Dumbledore over the wall while Harry can only watch, helpless. It is Snape who is the Half-Blood Prince.

Snape and Harry battle, until Hagrid saves Harry and the Death Eaters are eventually driven away. Harry learns what was inside the locket all along - a mysterious message.

Harry, the survivors and an "extraordinary assortment" of people from the Order of the Phoenix, the Ministry of Magic and Hogwarts alumni gather as they burn Dumbledore's body and encase the remains in a white marble tomb.

form: http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/fea/entertainmen t/books/stories/071605dnoveharryspoilers.ad97b32a.html

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

jazmine thumbnail

Hallajuhah...Now that is a sort summary..now I dont need to read the rest of the book...I knew who the Half Blood Prince was since the day the book was released!!

Guys, please, down below is related to a spoiler, so dont read if u dont wanna know or anything like that...

I don't get it...I know this is the sixth book of HP that JKR is writing but...the concept of the story...its very confusing..I dont know if you all dont get it but...theres some things similiar which has happened in the other books...this is their sixth year at hogwarts right(HP, HG, RW, DM)? Whats the point of getting rid of Dumblemore, I mean in their sixth year? and who would be the new headmaster of Hogwarts? It can't be Severus Snape...

In this summary I read given by cdesai...it says that Draco won't complete his last year...I am no way reading the next one if it doesnt contain Draco😆...Every HP book I've read is to see what Draco does...after I read the first one . I know it sounds weird taking sides with "the bad guy" in the story but😛.

And the mysterious message in the locket...if Harry hasnt understood it in this Book, then he would in the next one... I know one thing, the next book maybe the last book...or it will create a leap ear in the eighth book if we are lucky that JKR has written it and give us more adventures of the whole "Harry Potter" Sequences...Its nearly the end of the hogwarts story😭...

Anyways...whoever's read this long piece of crap by me, I thank them for taking their Time!! If they dont apprieciate me from writing this long story then....you will see what I can do

Edited by jazmine - 18 years ago
natasha-remix thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: jazmine

Hallajuhah...Now that is a sort summary..now I dont need to read the rest of the book...I knew who the Half Blood Prince was since the day the book was released!!

Guys, please, down below is related to a spoiler, so dont read if u dont wanna know or anything like that...

I don't get it...I know this is the sixth book of HP that JKR is writing but...the concept of the story...its very confusing..I dont know if you all dont get it but...theres some things similiar which has happened in the other books...this is their sixth year at hogwarts right(HP, HG, RW, DM)? Whats the point of getting rid of Dumblemore, I mean in their sixth year? and who would be the new headmaster of Hogwarts? It can't be Severus Snape...

In this summary I read given by cdesai...it says that Draco won't complete his last year...I am no way reading the next one if it doesnt contain Draco😆...Every HP book I've read is to see what Draco does...after I read the first one . I know it sounds weird taking sides with "the bad guy" in the story but😛.

And the mysterious message in the locket...if Harry hasnt understood it in this Book, then he would in the next one... I know one thing, the next book maybe the last book...or it will create a leap ear in the eighth book if we are lucky that JKR has written it and give us more adventures of the whole "Harry Potter" Sequences...Its nearly the end of the hogwarts story😭...

Anyways...whoever's read this long piece of crap by me, I thank them for taking their Time!! If they dont apprieciate me from writing this long story then....you will see what I can do

😊