Views

Users

Frequent Posters

umi82990 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 17 years ago
Abhishek was the first choice for 'Guru': Mani Ratnam
Updated:  01-11-2007  By andhracafe
Mumbai, Jan 11 (IANS) Maverick filmmaker Mani Ratnam cannot seem to get enough of his 'Yuva' lead Abhishek Bachchan who is playing the title role in his latest venture 'Guru' which is releasing Friday.

Asked why he cast Abhishek in a role that required a huge historical and chronological journey, Ratnam told IANS: 'Abhishek was the first choice for 'Guru' and I am very happy about his work.

'I think he is growing remarkably as an actor. If you shift me back to the start and ask me who you will cast as 'Guru' I will go back to Abhishek.'

Though the film has some uncanny resemblances to the life of late industrialist Dhirubhai Ambani, Ratnam insists the plot is rooted in cinematic reality. 'Hopefully, it'll have some connect with real life,' said Ratnam.

This is also the second time Ratnam has worked with Aishwarya Rai.

'I was quite happy with what Aishwarya did in 'Irruvar'. I thought she was quite remarkable, given that it was her first film and in a language (Tamil) that she did not know. In 'Guru' she was speaking Hindi, so it must have been much easier for her.

Ratnam says Aishwarya has done the role with a lot of dignity and poise.

'She remained very close to the character and has done it with ease. In a film that is based on 'Guru' she stands tall and strong.'

Ratnam has finished the film in a record time.

Why the rush? Is it because he needed to get into Aamir Khan-Kareena Kapoor starrer 'Lajjo' right away?

'No rush at all! I'm just doing work that I am paid to do. It was planned as a single-schedule film and we finished our major work by June end. The Aamir-Kareena film has now been rescheduled to the second half of 2007.'

Looking back, does Ratnam see 'Yuva' as an experience that did not connect as much with the audience as he hoped it would?

He refuses to find excuses for the film's failure.

'There is always room to try something new. Be it in content or form or look. And when you try something new there is always a chance that that it may not connect fully with the audience. That is a risk that a filmmaker has to take.

'If you take the credit when it works, you have to take the blame when a film flops. But that should not stop you from growing and take a few more steps ahead. That's where 'Guru' has taken me.'

R. Madhavan, Mithun Chakrabarty and Vidya Balan will also be seen in the film with the lead pair.

umi82990 thumbnail

Will 'Guru' break the Aishwarya Rai – Abhishek Bachchan jinx?
11th Jan 2007  10.01 IST
By ApunKaChoice  

Till date, no film that has starred Aishwarya Rai and Abhishek Bachchan as a pair, has hit the bull's eye at the box-office.

Ash and Abhishek, who are rumoured to be seeing each other in real life, have starred as a pair in Dhai Akshar Prem Ke , Kuch Naa Kaho , Umrao Jaan – all the films bombed at the box-office.

Ash and Abhishek also starred together in the superhit flick Dhoom 2 but not as a pair.

And now this Friday releases Mani Ratnam 's Guru , which once again has Ash and Abhishek as a pair.

'Guru' is the story of a young man in a small village of Idhar in Gujarat, who goes from rags to riches due to his sheer determination and personal drive, despite being faced with many business barriers.

Abhishek plays the title of Guru Kant Desai in the film – the man who is a villager, becomes a visionary and finally a winner. Ash plays Sujatha – the wife of Guru in the film.

'Guru' seems to have all the right ingredients for its success at the box office, as it is directed by the celebrated Ratnam and also has a unique story.

Also don't forget that it was in Ratnam's Yuva that Abhishek's acting credentials were first appreciated.

'Guru' also stars Mithun Chakraborty , Madhavan and Vidya Balan .

Bollywood sex-kitten Mallika Sherawat plays a dancer in the film and also has a hot item number to her credit.

The music of the film has been scored by A R Rahman .

umi82990 thumbnail
February 19: Perhaps not the D-day for Abhishek and Aishwarya!
by Debasis Jana

If rumours are to be believed, the marriage between actors Abhishek Bachchan and Aishwarya Rai is taking place this year on February 19. But the reality is however something different. On the rumoured D-day, Abhishek actually will be in Bikaner for shooting of friend Goldie Behl's film 'Drona'. "Abhishek is going to be with us on February 19 in Bikaner . So he's surely not getting married on that day," said 'Drona' producer Shrishti Arya.
"Abhishek had given us the dates last year itself. If he had marriage on his mind he would have never given us the dates," Arya added.
And as per as Aishwarya Rai is concerned, on that very day she will be in Karjat for Ashutosh Gowariker's 'Jodha Akbar'. So how can a marriage take place without bringing the bride and groom together.

umi82990 thumbnail
'Guru': Cinderella story of a villager who makes it big
Updated:  01-11-2007  By andhracafe
New Delhi, Jan 10 (IANS) After 'Bunty Aur Babli', 'Bluffmaster' and 'Sarkar', will Abhishek Bachchan live up to the expectations of his fans in 'Guru', Mani Ratnam's long awaited film about the journey of an ordinary villager with an extraordinary dream that releases Friday?

While trade insiders debate the question, chances are that Abhishek will hit bull's eye with this film where he stars with Aishwarya Rai in a story loosely based on the life of business tycoon Dhirubhai Ambani, whose endeavours opened gates for new players in a market dominated by handful of privileged people.

Abhishek has good chances of succeeding as he has teamed up with a director of Ratnam's calibre. The actor was languishing before Ratnam's 'Yuva' happened to him and gave a fillip to his career.

Set in the 1950s and moving through the decades till the present, 'Guru' focuses on an ambitious villager Gurukant Desai (Abhishek) who dreams big and moves to Mumbai with his wife Sujata (Aishwarya Rai) and brother-in-law Shyam Saxena (R. Madhavan) to fulfil his dreams.

When he reaches Mumbai, his only assets are two shirts and Rs.15,000. Much to his dismay, he realises that the business world is a closed community ruled by a handful of rich and influential people who don't believe in giving opportunities to new players.

But he forces his way in with righteous anger and the desire to achieve his goals. He sometimes has to go against the law, which earns him foes but his fairness also wins him admirers like Meenu (Vidya Balan).

Nanaji (Mithun), who runs a newspaper Swatantra, is initially impressed by the aggressively ambitious Guru. However, when he learns that his means to make it big are not pure, he decides to stand up to fight Guru's unjust ways.

The film has all the right ingredients for its success at the box office, except perhaps Aishwarya who has disappointed fans in 'Umrao Jaan' and 'Dhoom 2'. Abhishek's chemistry with Aishwarya is not as appealing as rumours of their off screen romance.

The film also has Mallika Sherawat, who makes a special appearance in a dance number.

Ratnam's previous Hindi release, the gripping 'Yuva', won critical acclaim but lost out in the box office. The director might just make up the loss with 'Guru'.

umi82990 thumbnail
Bachchan, Shah Rukh 'feud' on popular American comedy show
Jan 11, 2007 - 9:06:04 AM
Then a couple of clips of Bachchan and Khan were shown where Bachchan looking patrician throws a showl around himself and Khan is singing a song. 'Normally I would go with the distinguished older gentleman but where is that dancing? Decision? Shah Rukh Khan,' Colbert said and then brought the house down with this punch line, 'Congratulations, you are truly the Dilip Kumar to Amitabh's Raj Kapoor.'

psawyer thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Originally posted by: umi82990

February 19: Perhaps not the D-day for Abhishek and Aishwarya!
by Debasis Jana

If rumours are to be believed, the marriage between actors Abhishek Bachchan and Aishwarya Rai is taking place this year on February 19. But the reality is however something different. On the rumoured D-day, Abhishek actually will be in Bikaner for shooting of friend Goldie Behl's film 'Drona'. "Abhishek is going to be with us on February 19 in Bikaner . So he's surely not getting married on that day," said 'Drona' producer Shrishti Arya.
"Abhishek had given us the dates last year itself. If he had marriage on his mind he would have never given us the dates," Arya added.
And as per as Aishwarya Rai is concerned, on that very day she will be in Karjat for Ashutosh Gowariker's 'Jodha Akbar'. So how can a marriage take place without bringing the bride and groom together.

well well, and the plot thickens...😕😆😆
virgoqueen thumbnail

Edited by virgoqueen - 17 years ago
virgoqueen thumbnail

umi82990 thumbnail
WOW!! I really love the pictures Laxs! They were mind-blowing!! Made me love Big B even more!!

And virgoqueen, your pictures of Abhi were awesome!!
virgoqueen thumbnail
To hell with niceties....
   By: Subhash K Jha
   January 12, 2007

Amitabh Bachchan and Abhishek Bachchan
Guru releases today. Here Amitabh Bachchan talks about the film, about Abhishek, and an album of Tagore's songs. Read on...   

You've lent your voice to an album of Tagore songs in Hindi, recently.
Yes, I've enjoyed doing it. Indrajit Dasgupta, who has sung the verses, met me with his wife. The unique quality of the concept, the sincerity of the people involved in it and yes, of course, Tagore and Bengal, were the factors that made me accept this proposal.

Kolkata and Bengali culture is a universal phenomena and the attachments are therefore obvious. My interest is also more personal. I am after all Bengal's jamai babu. I need to look at Bengal a little more compassionately, else there can be serious domestic repercussions!!

Doing voice-overs has become almost a parallel profession for you....
And it's interesting, enjoyable and sometimes constructive too. Producers sometimes need commentary for their films. Documentaries take my voice, for they feel a celebrity is heard better and when there is a cause which is national or of universal importance, it becomes mandatory.

Public interest campaigns for health and conduct, or the recent  India Poised visual comment, have all been personally and creatively rewarding episodes for me and I shall continue to do them as long as people want me to.

You finally saw Guru yesterday. Your comments?
Yes, I saw Guru last night and I've asked to see it again today and I shall want to see it a 100 times over. It is Mani's best. And I speak as a viewer, not as a father. I have held myself back on many an occasion from commenting on my son's work, but this time I shall not. To hell with niceties and restraint. Abhishek is incredible! I have been choked with emotion ever since I have emerged from the theatre and still am.

This is a role of a lifetime for him and he has given a performance of a lifetime. It's a role any actor worth his salt would die for and it's a performance that any actor worth his salt will envy.

This is the truth, because it comes from within. For someone so young to have performed the way he has, is a revelation. It is the culmination of his strife to prove himself in the face of continuing odds and innuendos.

And it is ironic, so ironic, that this is what Guru is all about. The determination, the will and the strength of a common man to succeed in the face of unending obstacles and his courage of conviction, to emerge victorious.

You've never been like this before!
My father wrote in his biography 'When a father loses to his son, it is his greatest victory!' I've lost to my son! And I'm the happiest father alive!  As for working with Mani, I called him last night after the showing and told him, 'Now that you have made my son's life, could you make mine as well, please?'

What do you foresee  2007 for yourself?
I don't wish to foresee anything for myself. I have already foreseen what I want to see, last night !!