Blossoms and blessings of Padwa

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 5 years ago
So after following the show from day 1 I have finally decided that a breakdown was in order for this episode. why you ask? because finally something- not a lot but something landed. but sadly it was not the drama or the plot. BUT finally some progress was made with Raghu and Dhanak and the scene landed in Dhanak's eyes without Raghu having to emotionally overcompensate and bleed tears from his eyes to bear the weight of their marriage and create angst. 
The RaNak scenes today were of no dramatic plot but more consequential in the grander scheme than any scenes they've had before maybe minus their marriage and sejal's almost marriage and they were kind of perfect. Starting from the first scene were Dhanak was feeling insecure- her banter with Raghu, her responding to him saying- its just me here and the comfort she feels in being figuratively exposed in front of him. The gajra scene and the everyday vachan gift scene seemed heartfelt (although hella confusing but we'll get to that later) on both parts and they both seemed like equally smitten young lovers rather than gopi vahu bhai just drooling after his wife for a change. I even really loved Dhanak's little complaint about the gajra not having roses. It added a lot of genuinity to the scene that was completely lacking in the holi hug. And having her stare lovingly at him whilst he was putting the gajra in her hair (without raghu staring back) finally felt like something more genuine than Dhanak 'fixing' raghu will be at stake if they were to part. The last competition scene was good because it highlighted that this relationship is takkar ka, noone is feeble nor infallible in the relationship. All in all, finally some progress.   

Now for the list of things that as of this episode have completely seized to make any sense at all.

1) The Timeline: Aga bai! Dhanak ko goli lagne se gudipadwa tak kitna waqt beeth gaya? I thought its been like 5 days, accha chalo stretch my imagination- a week. iss ek week mein dhanak ki gun wound is all healed up? wah bhai kaunsi aisi dressing ki thi raghu ne bhai? hume bhi toh koi bataye! 

Aur isi ek week mein raghu ne aisi konsi promise rakh li ki dhanak maam aaj itna praise kar rahe hain? 

Aur isi ek week mein aisa kaun sa business shuru kar diya k dhanak k liye kamse kam 3000 rupees ka saman le aaya gudipadwa mein pehne ke liye- upor se bolta hain jeb mein kadki chal raha hain? arre gopi vahu tere dimaag mein kadki chal rahi hain bhau. 
Yeh paisa kya ek din ki pav bhaji ki kamayi hain? 😲 aisa kaunsa pav bhaji khila raha hain logo ko k business is churning profits so quickly and vigorously! itna quick munafa hain toh apni law cases chor k main bhi thele mein bet jaati hoon! ðŸ˜ƒ

2) Raghu's Redemption: Baas kya? bolne se hi redemption hogaya? Dhanak didnt even need him to actually do anything to restore her faith after screaming so much about paanch lakh? When he tried to do something (even if it was a pathetic idea) Dhanak became Robinhood pandey and saved him by committing a crime herself ðŸ˜². this serial is like watching gopi vahu fall in love with herself! raghu and dhanak are both the gopi vahus of the show...or maybe dhanak is simar ðŸ¤“ 

3) Maya's tawri plans- if anyone has worse plans than raghu then its maya. firstly, how did she know neelima mavshi's plan to make raghu-dhanak compete? If she didnt then why'd she put oil on the stairs? to try kill raghu? and lets say that she poured the oil after knowing about the competition, then how'd she manage to do it in broad daylight with so many onlookers? and how'd she know which side to oil? what if Raghu and Dhanak changed directions? And again lets assume for argument's sake that she was successful despite all the loopholes, Raghu didnt save her and Dhanak broke her neck and died or becomes apahich. Why would that ever result in Raghu marrying her?!? ðŸ˜• if Dhanak doesnt die then Raghu will simply look after her forever and never remarry. If she dies, well...did maya not learn anything from the bablu bhai incident? if Dhanak were to die infront of Raghu like that, he'd kill her if he knew of her involvement and then kill himself. Alternately, he'd kill himself and Maayi would then murder Maaya in desperate rage. Either ways, Dhanak's death at this point does not end with a happily ever after for this chick. Which poses the question- what is her role in all of this? Why do we have her pull these elaborate plans that end in failure? Just to create some romance between Raghu and Dhanak? Can the writers not find any organic manner to create chemistry here?

4) Maayi's goal: what does she want? does she want dhanak out of her home? putting her in a place where she has to decide between IPS and her husband- if she were to choose the former, Dhanak would hunt the gang down in 5 days cos she know everything about how they work. Not to mention that Raghu would become ttly crazy. He's already attempted suicide 2x. You'd think his mother would tread carefully. Break the rishta slowly with some agenda than try to pull the plug like this. It seems insanely foolish. So I actually dont think she wants Dhanak out of the picture. I think she wants Dhanak's career to end. BUT if Dhanak chooses Raghu, her career ends, how would that benefit Maayi? If this happens, Raghu will never leave his biwi ki pallu- Maya ki game toh khallas, the saath vachans still stand, Dhanak's IPS training still stands- she can shoot like Arjun, fight like Bheem and plan like Krishna and if she wants, she can still be a police informant and do her Robinhood Pandey-giri. How does any of this help? On another note, is she playing bluff with Maya? I thought she genuinely loves the girl, but by her own admission- she knows she wont be able to break Raghu and Dhanak and thus wants to break Dhanak and IPS up. Then what will she answer to Maya if Dhanak decides to be Raghu's wife?

5) This may be my biggest confusion cos I think a lot of the driving forces behind my confusions have to do with the lack of acknowledgement the characters show towards raghu and Dhanak's marital status. So, am I missing some critical knowledge where the status of Raghu-Dhanak's sex-life has now become public knowledge? 

As the audience, we know, that raghu bhai k pyaar ki nadiyan main toh sukha para hua hain. dhanak wont put out till he can step up (for a 90 days ainvayi testing period...uske baad ka contract clause abhi raghu ko padna nahi aata, dheere dheere seekh jayega our in-house illiterate gopi vahu 2, uske saath saath hum bhi jan jayenge). as far as i can remember, other than us, i thought only raghu and dhanak know that they havent been intimate with each other. they sleep in the same room, i'm presuming on the same bed, they share the same space and cupboard and seem cosy enough to each other in public. so bhai yeh public knowledge kabse ban gaya? now you may be thinking, why is this a part of my  list.

Because indeed many people's reactions and resulting actions in the show seems EXTREMELY illogical to some very basic things, if you account for the fact that raghu and dhanak are basically husband and wife with all the assumed consequences that come with that. 

a) Maayi: If one person was aghast at Nilu Mavshi's aashirwad (which is actually quite a common aashirwad amongst old timey ppl in marathi families), it was definitely not dhanak. She was just a bit awkward. Maayi on the other hand was like- 'ok ok! stop talking! Raghu stop talking!' why? did you not calculate that this may be a very possible scenario? 

b) Maya: 'Meri Raghu k diye huye gajra pehen rahi hain', 'Saare aam romance kar rahi hain'. seriously girl? thats your biggest issue here?  a gajra and some pda? you'd rather they took it inside? theyve been shacked up in a bedroom for weeks and for all you know doing the horizontal tango. why in the world are you worried about gajra and pda?

c) Police: Pehli baat toh yeh, thoda credit dedo baba! Maanti hoon mumbai police ka badnaam galiyon mein bohut naam hain. But usually saare aam illegal kaam, woh bhi bina dehej k toh nahi karte. And it is highly illegal to blackmail an adult girl into leaving her legal husband (especially problematic if the marriage is consummated because then it stands on both legal and religious grounds) or even forcing testaments of a husband's crime from a wife. Very very sensitive issue. How are you showing the police doing exactly that? Yahan pe koi game chal rahi hain kya? There are rules and procedures, and even an ex-wife of a convict would not be allowed into IPS than the convict himself would! If you are offering such deals, you are doing something again- illegal. Matlab kuch bhi! 

Secondly, she's been married to this dude for months. if she were to leave him and join IPS kalko iss ki dusri shaadi ki zimedari kya yeh commissioner uthayega? Hum Paris toh pouche nahi k people will be blaze about Dhanak leaving her criminal pati, lower middle class mumbai ki ek chawl mein hain. there are many connotations to being married to a criminal. iska bhar kya woh commissioner uthayega? aise hathkande proposals ek professional scenario mein kaun rakhta hain? for all he knows, Dhanak could be pregnant right now- toh kya bolega? baccha main palunga? ya abort kardo toh IPS ban sakhte hon? the level of nonsense with this particular track is on another level. 
I agree! The gajra scene with Dhanak staring at Raghu lovingly was new and felt genuine for once with anything Dhanak displays towards Raghu.

I was wondering about Maya's plan too. I think she might be a taantrik and that's how she knew which side of the ladder to put the oil on for Dhanak and that there would be a competition at all... LOL.

I don't think Maya has considered all those prospects, if she had, she would stop trying to separate RaNak. The main reason for her delusion is 1) Her desire for Raghu but most importantly 2) Maayi's encoragement. If Dhanak is out of the picture Maayi always makes it seem like to Maya that she will have a chance because you know Raghu will always listen to Maayi. But she wants Raghu so bad she forgets all logic like you said why would he marry his wife's murderer?

Also, Dhanak's gunshot wound was apparently a scratch and didn't need much caring for.

About RaNak's sex life. Don't think it exists as of now. I say that only because if it did, they would've made it clear to the audience - it would've been addressed because you know it's ITV and that's the biggest step in marriage according to them.

Don't get me started on the police officers. They're more like babysitters. If they found out that Dhanak was involved with a criminal family, they should've kicked her out of the training whatever the hell she does straightaway. Why was there a condition being placed?

So many loopholes that may never be filled...

*sigh*

P.s. This episode breakdown idea is amazing. You should definitely do more. It's already a delight to read and this way we can get talking about the episodes more often.
Glad you enjoyed it! Can't promise every episode but will try to do more. 
Btw, with the sex life comment I meant that we as the audience know they dont have one but the characters around them dont right? So its weird that they act shocked at such small bits of pda. 
Yaar police babysitting karta toh bhi chalta. Yaha they are just totally doing illegal things, that too without bribe! Kuch toh realities dikhao. 
Great write-up!
Logic has been missing since the beginning but the lack of it is becoming much more aggravating in the recent episodes. I have seen gunshot wounds heals in like 3 days on ITV. 
Useless Police is not new - remember when the IPS trainer came for the reception and drank poison -- that guy did nothing. Imagine this is Dhanak's dream - to become useless like her role models. ðŸ˜†ðŸ˜†
PDA - My guess - Maya and Dhanak sleep with Mai in that room and Raghu with his friends on the roof. 😉 There was no scene where they showed Mai and Maya's alternative sleeping arrangements.   

Maya is like the Parekh family - useless. I think of her as a filler to give other people some rest. This show has no proper minor characters or side stories even with so many people hogging the screen time. If cvs developed a couple of side stories, they wouldn't have to waste 2 episodes per week on festival celebrations and guest performers - last week holi and this week gudi-padva. Navratri coming next week.

I was surprised to see the sudden appearance of romance on Dhanak's side but the latest spoiler explains it. CVs are trying to make Dhanak's decision logical even though it may be out of character. ðŸ˜†ðŸ˜†

I am getting tired of Raghu. I want the roguish, wanna-be-don back who was so adorable at the beginning of the show.   
Ever since his aggression during the marriage i didnt think I'd miss the rogue, but i do. The outraged feminist in me kind of forgot that this is how criminal characters are. He's supposed to be aggressive street smart but a determined lover. I kinda want that now. This bahu is tiresome. Where is the smart dude who knew something was wrong with sejals fiance at a glance? All buddhi foor! Damn i miss his aggression. 
Also they for sure share a room. Even if we dont know where maayi and maya go now, there has been plenty of late night scenes between raghu and dhanak in the room. That'd be improbable if maayi and maya were there. Can you imagine dhanak studying sitting next to a talli maayi? How they negotiated that with maayi and maya we dont know. But the room is actually raghu's room. And in chawl culture new couples usually get the room so it makes sense-ish.
And oh damn! I ttly forgot that. Suicide is illegal and the police dude just faffed about! ðŸ˜† i guess dhanak finally realized that she'd be more impactful as a don! 
You are right about the sudden romance. They always do this sudden burst of emotions thing out of nowhere. You know this show would bring in a lot more trp if they'd focus more on building the love story through raghu and dhanak's interactions than on guest stars. The fast turn over of the storylines would be awesome if they actually meant something to Dhanak. Oh well.
Edited by tejaswiniwenham - 5 years ago
So true.

I thought the day where Dhanak will have had to make a choice between her dreams and Raghu would be when Dhanak actually had feelings for him. Otherwise there's only one choice for her.

It would've been more impactful if they focussed on their progression as a couple and then all the choices drama. Because then Dhanak has something to lose.

About the sleeping situation - we'll have to wait until it's clarified in the show but I think they sleep in the same room.