FoodSmuggler thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 5 years ago
The first episode was not bad considering how it's basically just a lengthy introduction to all the characters in the story. I liked the concept of the show and full disclosure, it is what got me to watch the show. As a brown girl, I've found the concept of arranged marriages worrisome and intriguing at the same time. The age old concept of parents chosing their child's spouse is something that is deep-rooted in our culture and it's essentially not a evil but still, makes you worry about the kind of person you'll end up sharing your life with. In an age where sharing our wifi password with someone requires a thorough background check (Is it just me who does that?) how complicated would it be to decide if the person you've met a couple of times, is the right person to marry? Mishti and I have essentially had the same conversations with ourselves about marriages and hence it was naturally of me to have ended up here. I just realised I spent a whole paragraph basically ranting about my inner monologues. I'll share some of the things that I connected with while watching the episode without giving away any spoilers because I know it hasn't aired yet on the television screens. I know no one likes spoilers
                      Coming to the show. The first episode was eventful. We were introduced to Kuhu and Mishti first. Two girls, having been brought up in the same household yet they are polar opposites. I mean all of us knew this was coming. They're sort of sisterly though they make it a point to remind you otherwise. Kuhu is the life of the party, the "IT" girl if you will( please don't though, reminds me of a certain clown) while Mishti is the silent, calmer one. Apart from the writers throwing Kuhu in my face, like literally throwing her in my face, I liked the dynamics of their relationship. My only wish is for them to tone her down a notch. It's borderline irritating. Unless that's how she is supposed to be, in that case the actress playing her nailed it. I do hope she grows on me with time.
          Next we are acquainted with the Rajvansh Fam. A family ruled by Rupal Patel's character. She is basically like an authoritarian parent to everyone in the family (In my opinion, she's the female version of Amitabh Bachchan from Mohabbatein). I'm sure she's one of those people who always want things to go as per their whims and fancies. Like it's their way or the highway except there's no highway and only their way. Am I making sense? She scares me, honest to god. Like she could ask me for my food and I'd just hand it over to her no questions asked. And that's why I understand why the people who live with her react the way they do when she's around. Like Akshay Kumar said ever so wisely, don't angry her. 
                   Coming to Abir. The dude is laid back and fun. At least that's what I gathered from the 29 mins I invested into the episode. He seems to have a penchant for photography along with causing my heart to beat erratically. Not spoiling anything but watchout for the lines he says when first almost meeting Mishti. My ovaries exploded. 
           From the little I could piece together from the show, it looks like all is not all hunky dory between the mother and son. And I understand, his mom is a control freak who scares me to bits, so that means I know which team I'm on.
     Jokes aside, what I really liked about the episode is that both Abir and Mishti share the same baggage, the same pain. Having been disowned by family. Although I vaguely remember Mishti having her mother by her side while her dad was jailed for god knows what. As for Abir, it seems like his father left him when a kid. Though they both have their fair share of emotional traumas to deal with, they put up a happy front to mask it and since it takes one to know one, I'm guessing they'll be able to heal one another considering how they both have felt the pain the other feels. I'd love to see this aspect of their relationship to be explored. 
                 Aside from these characters, there are a bunchful of people in the story who I don't think had that kind of impact on me so I'll refrain from talking about them more. Also this is a long post as is and doesn't need to be any longer. I apologise for this being all over the place and lacking any sense. 
Edited by SourWolf - 5 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Shaavi thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: SourWolf

Next we are acquainted with the Rajvansh Fam. A family ruled by Rupal Patel's character. She is basically like an authoritarian parent to everyone in the family (In my opinion, she's the female version of Amitabh Bachchan from Mohabbatein). I'm sure she's one of those people who always want things to go as per their whims and fancies. Like it's their way or the highway except there's no highway and only their way. Am I making sense? She scares me, honest to god. Like she could ask me for my food and I'd just hand it over to her no questions asked. And that's why I understand why the people who live with her react the way they do when she's around. Like Akshay Kumar said ever so wisely, don't angry her. 

The analysis of the first episode was wonderful. I too liked the episode and the introductions. 👍🏼 

@blue. I agree she is an authoritarian, but she is not really one of those people who says my way or highway and there is no highway. She is one of those people for whom the family tradition and image matters more than anything. The rules and regulation laid down by the dead are more important to her than the choices of the living. She is all about the collective, the Rajvansh family and what that signifies. She wants to maintain the symbol of the family with iron fist. You know the aan, Baan, shaan, etc. of the family matters more than the choice of individual members. 

For ex, tradition dictates that the bahu of the family wears her pallu in front of her her elders. She will enforce this without taking the bahu's feelings into account. The bahu may not want to wear saree or any of those symbols of her place, she might want to wear a salwar. But that doesn't matter to her. All it matters is that the family traditions are upheld. She expects everyone to follow the same beliefs that was followed from the known time. She doesn't like anyone opposing the traditions and beliefs. And she will do everything to keep the Rajvansh family in that mould, the same as it was from the past, no matter what it takes.

FoodSmuggler thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: Shaavi

The analysis of the first episode was wonderful. I too liked the episode and the introductions.  👍🏼 

@blue. I agree she is an authoritarian, but she is not really one of those people who says my way or highway and there is no highway. She is one of those people for whom the family tradition and image matters more than anything. The rules and regulation laid down by the dead are more important to her than the choices of the living. She is all about the collective, the Rajvansh family and what that signifies. She wants to maintain the symbol of the family with iron fist. You know the aan, Baan, shaan, etc. of the family matters more than the choice of individual members. 

For ex, tradition dictates that the bahu of the family wears her pallu in front of her her elders. She will enforce this without taking the bahu's feelings into account. The bahu may not want to wear saree or any of those symbols of her place, she might want to wear a salwar. But that doesn't matter to her. All it matters is that the family traditions are upheld. She expects everyone to follow the same beliefs that was followed from the known time. She doesn't like anyone opposing the traditions and beliefs. And she will do everything to keep the Rajvansh family in that mould, the same as it was from the past, no matter what it takes.

I agree that she's more concerned with the image she uphelds of the family among thr general public rather than considering the actual feelings of the housemates when faced with a decision. Or at least that's what I could fathom from the way her character was introduced to us. And it is exactly why I feel she's someone who will go to any lengths to ensure that her decision is implemented no matter what. In her head, she is doing this not for herself but for her family's reputation and hence whatever the price, she'll pay.
Quoting your example, given such a situation, it is definitely something she wouldn't think twice about. Traditions and values are of utmost importance to her and that's why she'll make the bahu abide by them, no questions asked. In the end, there is only her way. 
I might be majorly wrong about this though considering how my gullible heart was of the opinion that Barb had somehow made it in the upside down. I guess all I'm saying is maybe she isn't as scary as she seems, only time will tell. 
TC_FA thumbnail
IPL 2023 Match Winner Thumbnail IPL 2023 Participants 2 Thumbnail + 8
Looking forward to benba and mishti's interactionEdited by TC_FA - 5 years ago
Shaavi thumbnail
Originally posted by: SourWolf

I agree that she's more concerned with the image she uphelds of the family among thr general public rather than considering the actual feelings of the housemates when faced with a decision. Or at least that's what I could fathom from the way her character was introduced to us. And it is exactly why I feel she's someone who will go to any lengths to ensure that her decision is implemented no matter what. In her head, she is doing this not for herself but for her family's reputation and hence whatever the price, she'll pay.
Quoting your example, given such a situation, it is definitely something she wouldn't think twice about. Traditions and values are of utmost importance to her and that's why she'll make the bahu abide by them, no questions asked. In the end, there is only her way. 
I might be majorly wrong about this though considering how my gullible heart was of the opinion that Barb had somehow made it in the upside down. I guess all I'm saying is maybe she isn't as scary as she seems, only time will tell. 

She is scary no doubt, because she holds the helm of the family. 😊. I am sorry if I was not very clear in what I tried to say. For her every thing a person does is about family. The honor of the ancestors is more important than the dreams and desires of the living members. 

@bold, what I meant to say was that what she tries to enforce is not "her way", it is the way the Rajvansh family is supposed to behave. There is no individuality when you look at the collective. For her it is all about the family and what they represent in this society. She has made hard choices and expects everyone to make similar compromises so that no one can make even a single negative remark. She believes it is the "family way" and for her there is no "her way". Everything that she is doing is for the wellness of the family. She doesn't do things because they make her happy, she does it because she believes that they are right for the family name. That that is how a person belonging to Rajvansh family is supposed to behave.

From what I have read online and the interviews that I have watched, Kunat(Ritvick Arora) is supposed to be the peace keeper of the family. In one of the interviews Rhea Sharma said that she will be the "choti bahu" of the family. I feel that the story is about the growth of everyone in the family, not just the leads. It is about everyone understanding that feelings and choices do matter. I also feel that she will mellow down and relax as the story progresses.
404_NotFound thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 7
@Shaavi

Abir is elder to Kunal so how come Choti bahu ?
Shaavi thumbnail
Originally posted by: yyy

@Shaavi

Abir is elder to Kunal so how come Choti bahu ?

Kunal is yet to marry. 😃 Until then she will be the choti bahu of the family. And the current story is to focus on that. The tug between Abir's mom and Mishti with opposing beliefs.