Life of Indians in the US - Page 5

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

BirdieNumNum thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
Posted: 5 years ago

Originally posted by: Redmi

How is it? Is it worth it leaving India and struggling for H1Bs and greencards there? 

yes if you have good education from a good college in India. You can get admission into a great grad school in the US, and most companies will sponsor you.

yes again if you have lousy education in India. That's because lousy education means you didnt have the brains to get anywhere good on your own steam and you didnt have the bribe money to pay capitation fee. With that kind of crappy background, you'll be working Ambience Mall or one of those places as a sales girl. In the US, you might do the same lousy job but the dollar will go a longer way.

yes too if you are pretty. You could get married to a rich sucker in the US who you could run around on your lil finger. The rich guy in India however will play around even after he's married.

yes if you' find value in experiencing a new way of life, learn some things and then go back...

So yes, yes, yes and yes.

oh also, you just might live longer in the US. None of that pollution that can kill you in India.

btw i love my India.😆

serendipity_10 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
If you were born in India, I'm honestly not sure if it's worth it.. you'll pretty much be on a visa for life. While all other people born pretty much anywhere else in the world will get permanent status, get security and truly settle down. If you're someone who likes your job and thinks it is worth the uncertainty of visa then the US is great. However stability is not an option. 
Unless you marry a non-Indian born ofcourse ðŸ˜‰
Sakhile thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Resettling in any other country requires a lot of adjustments. Your reasons for leaving your home country plays a big role in how happy you will be.  How close you are to your family and friends also plays a huge role in whether you will be happy or not. 
Most people leave home for economic reasons. You must however be realistic. You will not achieve financial security overnight or even in a few years. You must be prepared to work very hard for 10, 15, 20, 30 and more  years to be able to have the big mansion, big business,  big cars, and all the luxuries that you are shown in Bollywood movies and in Indian television soapies. You must be prepared for many hardships from culture shock and serious discrimination to not having friens, a place to stay, food. Also be prepared for the demands that will come from back home for money and other things. Take into account the cost of living in the new countey. Where you can buy roti for a few rupees in India,  you may have to pay in dollars for bread etc.

Also remeber that you will not be home for many weddings, births, deaths, festival family events. These will pull at your heart strings and give reason for loneliness.  When things go wrong back home guilt may assail you.

Before leaving home consider all issues.  Be practical and don't live in your dreams or believe every good luck story. Few will tell you the horrors of their struggles.  

Lastly follow the legal route, do not enter a country illegally or on a visitor visa and then stay and work illegally.  Please don't marry for a green card or citizenship,  it's as bad as being a gold digger. Theperson you marry deserves more than that. 
radix thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3

I moved to the UK from the USA last year. Immigration rules made tough after Trump's presidency. My EAD card delayed for more than six months. One of our friend who completed MS and got lottery for H1B has been asked his parking ticket receipt from his University years as RFE.  The cost of living in the US depends on location. Education and Health care are expensive. Easy transportation. Less pollution. One main thing I don't like about the USA is the gun culture.

My personal experience. I lived only in California, and It is diverse. First, we were in Northern California; most of the neighbours were Indians. I didn't get a chance to get involved with the big desi community because we had a small group of friends (neighbours, classmates and former colleagues from India) whom we always hang out and go trips together. A lot of Indian restaurants and shops there as well as other ethnic cuisines. TBH sometimes I didn't feel like I left India because there is a lot of Indians in the Bay area mostly we hear Bollywood song from our neighbour's apartment. Then we moved to Southern California. It was a great neighbourhood and people, mainly whites and Latinos. I attended a short course at a University; I was the only Indian and new immigrant in the class, classmates and teachers were so welcoming and understanding especially with my accent and super fast talking. It was a great experience. Got a lot of good friends from uni, tech-meetups and neighbours. Still in touch and some of them visited us in the UK.

Never experienced racism there. But a few unfortunate events. One time our campus building evacuated due to a bomb threat. Then next month, there was a mass shooting in an apartment complex near our uni. During  Californian fire we got fire alert, I still remember nervously packing necessary documents and spare clothes in a backpack and waiting for further instructions. Luckily fire got contained before reaching there, but still could feel the heat and see the smoke,  It was unsettling.

lunza thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Depends on how badly you want the "US life" . 
I know people who will keep doing one MS after the other through some light online/weekend courses (to extend their OPT, till their H1B gets picked, so they usually keep some credits pending as long as possible) , because they want to stay in the US, no matter what. 
I am NOT criticizing them, because they know what they want. 

The visa uncertainty does rob some peace of mind. The indecision over whether to settle in US or go back after "X" number of years robs the rest. 

The visa issues arent in one's hands, but I have found that the most relaxed people are those who know for sure IF they want to settle in US or NOT and if they want to back home - in HOW MANY years and after saving how much of money as cash savings and property investment. I know couples who came to US after getting married, had kids after five years, and went back to India after another five years (though their visa status and job was stable). All of them saved, bought their own apartment in the center of expensive Indian cities and were clear about going back by the time the kids started school. 

The US life in bigger cities is different from smaller towns. If you are social, but want the desi-social experience, you will get that easily in Cali or Texas... but if your job takes you to the mid-west, it is a very different life - difficult to adapt if you are someone looking for another "mini-India" in the US. Another way of looking at it is you would actually experience the feeling of being in another country, might like the quiet life, will be motivated to interact with people of different ethnicities instead of just sticking to just desis at work. The saving potential is also better and you have better chances of getting into a workplace that is not overridden by desi consultancies and shitty politics by Indian managers (at least not yet). 

If you want to be at the center of latest innovation and trends at work, and are damn good at what you do - go for Cali, Seattle etc. 
If you want to save more, are decent at your work and don't want a repeat of the desi office atmosphere with onsite/offshore politics, then , if you are somehow lucky to get an offer in a smaller town (well, really lucky, in today's climate with so many ppl not taking H1Bs) ,  I would say, grab it with both hands. 

Regarding children, and fears over them losing touch with their roots, it honestly depends on the way you "condition" them from the beginning. I have nieces and nephews who are more aware of rituals in festivals, visit and volunteer in temple events more fervently than I do. This is especially true of the kids of the couples who came in the late 90s and early 2000s and formed large and strong community of desi friends. Their kids know more about mythology and bhajans and can probably read and write in more Indian languages than my nieces and nephews in India. They are also more particular about avoiding meat because well, thats how they were raised. After a point, their parents don't have to "force" them. But yes, there is a definitely an underlying sense of competitiveness in some parents wrt, their kids excelling in everything - academics, going into advanced math courses, playing an instrument, being trained in dance etc. 

But OTOH, I also have couple of nieces and nephews whose parents havent bothered with any of that - no temple involvement, no bharatanatyam classes, no growing up within large desi communities, nothing.. So, they are a bit unaware and detached from desi stuff. The parents don't mind. The kids are nice, respectful, focused at school, and the parents are more than happy with it. 
Edited by lunza - 5 years ago
dabang4life thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
I have been living here since 2001. Been a US citizen for years now. Things definitely been different past 3 years since the Russian agent has taken over.. so it may not be an ideal time to move up here.

But if you are still planning to move here.. you should have plan A and B. You are going to have to work hard just like in India.. the difference is you just pay most of it to taxes. Also different ppl and culture to adjust with!!