Frequent Posters

ErisedWitch45 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 5 years ago

Originally posted by: eufara_naghm

It's interesting dear😳

Plzzz continue soon. Will love to read it😊

By the way we chose the same prompt😆
I'd love if u read mine as well😉, it's quite fun to read the same theme on different people and plot ðŸ˜†

Here it is Link

It was nice meeting you though I think I saw you in some forums😳

Thanks for the kind words.! :)
I read (and liked) your take on it. It's quite interesting. WIll be following up with it soon.
ErisedWitch45 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Viswasruti

Very interesting narrative dear. You simply carried me with you to witness those events with your unique way of storytelling. Best wishes to you.🤗

Thank you so much for the encouraging feedback. I love your writing style so it's really great to see your comment here :)
ErisedWitch45 thumbnail

Originally posted by: AnyaRSingh

Ahh 

lovely!!

I love the whole air of mystery behind Manish and him taking Naira away like that

One of my favorite genres of books is mob romance i just love emancipated proclamation, the mobsters girl, bound by honor etc...
this is taking my two fav things and putting it together

so excited looking forward to more...

Thanks so much Anya. I hope the future updates can be to your liking! :)
I am looking forward to reading the next update of Fallen  (I really liked your writing style esp the flow of the narrative)!
ErisedWitch45 thumbnail
~* Entry for Round 2/Milestone 1 *~ [Prompt 3]

Chapter 1 - First Time.

~2005~

In the small town of Rishikesh, was an orphanage, wherein resided a young girl of 6, Tina. The orphanage matron had found her as a 5-month-old infant. As she grew up, Tina saw some of the children being taken away by families. The matron said that these blessed children had found homes. Tina, too, dreamt that one-day, someone might deem her worthy to take her to a place that would be her home.

And one day, it happened. A man came by. She hid behind the matron's skirt and studied him.

"Hello," he greeted Tina.

"Hello Sir." She answered in a rehearsed voice that the matron had taught her.

The matron informed her, "Mr. Goenka will take you to his home. Say goodbye to your friends and bring your bag."

An ecstatic Tina ran out to tell the other kids that she was, finally, going home. When she returned with a small backpack that held all of her earthly possessions she saw the man handover a suitcase to the matron.

"Hope the compensation is enough," the man spoke to the matron who nodded, peering inside the open suitcase. Tina was unable to see what was in the bag.

"What I've done is not official, Mr. Goenka," the matron replied, "I am sending her with you without any paperwork, or due diligence. This could cost me my job and reputation."

"This," the man pointed at the bag, "should more than suffice for any inconvenience."

"This is a lot for someone like her..." the matron eyed him with curiosity. "What makes her so special that you yourself had to come? You could've sent anyone-."

He interrupted; "I've been searching her for a long time. I had to make sure nothing went wrong. Not this time."

The matron's curiosity was cut short when she saw Tina. Calling Tina inside, she said, "Be good and don't give Mr. Goenka any trouble."

The man addressed Tina, "Let's go, Naira."

"It's Tina," she corrected him. The matron had bestowed this name.

The man laughed and it worried her. "There's so much that you don't know." Tina and the matron scrunched their eyebrows.

"There's time for that," he added, "For now, let's go."

The matron gestured her to follow Mr. Goenka's retreating back. Tina gulped and followed him.

In the span of a day, Tina had done many things that were a first for her. For the first time in her life, she sat in a car that took her from Rishikesh, to the nearby city of Dehradoon. For the first time, she boarded an airplane that flew from Dehradoon to Mumbai, where Mr. Goenka lived.

Despite of being scared when the flight was taking off, Tina kept a brave face. She didn't want Mr. Goenka to think that she was a scared little cat. He hadn't spoken another word to her. Sometimes, he would look at her, shake his head, and smile. Tina wondered if it was a good sign. 

Once he addressed her as Naira. She corrected him, "It's Tina." Why did he keep calling her Naira?

On landing in Mumbai, they'd gone to Mr. Goenka's house. His house was something straight out of a fairytale that a girl in the orphanage had read to her once. It was huge and white with a big lawn, which had swings. She saw 2 children- a girl and boy, playing. That made Tina smile.

At the threshold of the house, an old lady, was standing with a golden plate adorned with a lit lamp and flowers.

"Welcome home, Manish," the lady spoke. Mr. Goenka bent down to touch her feet. Tina's attention wavered to the two kids who had stopped playing and were walking toward the mansion to see who the new comer was.

"I hope your project was a success," she spoke as Manish Goenka followed her into the huge drawing room. Tina's eyes took in the dcor. Everything was big and shiny.

"Yes, mother," Manish addressed the lady. Manish gently pushed Tina forward. His mother's eyes tailed Tina who felt conscious.

Tina muttered, "Good evening, Ma'am."

The lady eyed her, "Who is this?"

"The project," Manish answered. "This is why I was away for so long. The search that I began 5 years ago has come to fruition, mother. This," he gestured at Tina, "is Naira."

The lady's face contorted in confusion. Manish spoke, "The last of Singhanias."

The reply changed the lady's face from puzzlement to anger, "You are still stuck in the past! This obsession of yours has cost us a lot."

"It's over now," Manish replied. "Once and for all."

"What will you do with her?" the lady questioned.

Tina couldn't fathom what they were talking about only that they were talking about her.

Is this what the children in the orphanage were so excited about? Till now, no one had even greeted her. She started to miss Rishikesh.

Taking his time, Manish replied to his mother, "I'll think of something. I've nothing but time." 

~2005-Present~

As days turned to weeks, weeks to months and months to years, Tina, who had now been renamed Naira, began to understand what was really happening. The dream of a 6-year-old to find a place to called home' was just that, a dream.

Manish's mother was Suhasini Goenka, the matriarch of the powerful Goenka family of Mumbai. She had 2 sons- the elder and head of the business, Manish and the younger, a reliable and loyal shadow of his brother, Akhilesh.

Naira learnt over the years that the Goenkas had a front where they displayed themselves as hoteliers but beneath all the faade the reality was they were into organized crimes like extortion, smuggling and even drug trafficking.

To Naira the opulence of their lifestyle, their huge mansions, their designer clothes couldn't hide the fact that underneath it all these people were evil.

Suhasini was a deeply religious woman. The irony was she would engage in something as holy as worshipping God whereas in the same house, her sons would be signing off on some man's death order.

Manish, the man who had bought her from the orphanage was the head of the syndicate. When he came to Rishikesh, Naira had deluded herself into thinking that her life would be better now. Years later, she realized that she was in a prison, she couldn't do what she wanted, she couldn't leave. She was trapped in their house.

Naira didn't know what Manish wanted from her. He just let her be. Neither did he interact with her, nor did he harm her. Naira knew that he must have some plans for her. Maybe it had taken a backseat but sooner or later, he would come for her.

The person who scared her more than Manish was his younger brother, Akhilesh. Akhilesh was the consigliore, the biggest support of the syndicate and very loyal to Manish.

Once late at night, while wandering the hallway, 8-year-old sleepless Naira heard screams from Akhilesh's study. Out of curiosity, she pressed her ear to the closed door. She heard a loud wail and then footsteps. Hiding underneath a table nearby, she waited in the dark. 2 men left carrying a limp body of a 3rd person, followed by Akhilesh. When no one else exited, she took a peek inside.

The floor tiles were smeared with the unmistakable color of blood. Naira realized that the limp body being carried was that of a dead man. Her insides twisted and before she could stop herself, she puked out a bile liquid, which burned her throat. Gathering her nerves, she ran to her room, jumped on the bed and shut her eyes, hoping the morning light would diminish the nightmare that she had witnessed. She was shaking with fright and couldn't sleep a wink that night.

Over the course of years, Naira was careful and avoided ever witnessing another such episode. She had understood how to be invisible in the house, to not stand out in anyone's sight.

Naira was sent to the same school where Manish's children studied. The two kids- the girl and boy she had seen on her first day here, were Manish's children from his first and deceased wife, Soumya. The elder was a girl, Keerti (three years older than Naira) and the younger, a boy Kartik (a year older than her).

There were many stories surrounding the death of Soumya. She was the love of Manish's life. Born in another mafia family, Soumya was a perfect fit as a Goenka daughter-in-law. The couple was happy but how can happiness built on graves of others last? Soumya was shot dead by a rival gang, when Keerti was 3 and Kartik, 1. The death of Soumya had driven Manish insane. He was so hell-bent on revenge that he completely sidelined work and his children till Suhasini intervened.

Suhasini arranged Manish's marriage to Soumya's cousin, Suwarna. It was an alliance only on paper. Their wedding was a duty, bereft of love and both of them were aware of it. Suwarna bore Manish a son, Shubham. When 6-year-old Naira had set foot in the house, Shubam was a babe in his mother's arms.

Naira's relationship with Suwarna was non-existent. They never spoke to one another. Naira didn't mind. The adult Goenkas scared her. There was something unsettling about them. She tried to avoid all of them as much as she could and was successful in her endeavor.

Her only solace in the madness was her growing friendship with Keerti- a mousy girl with a heart of gold. Naira had once saved Keerti from being bullied by two boys in school and ever since, Keerti was grateful to her. A friendship stemmed but Naira knew her limits. Keerti was a Goenka and she, their prisoner.

Keerti's lack of confidence and a weak attitude made Manish realize that she could never take the reins of the empire from him and so he started molding his 2nd child, Kartik. Kartik would one day step in to fill Manish's shoes.

The 3 of them (Keerti-Kartik-Naira) played together as kids. As time progressed, Kartik's interaction with Naira reduced since he'd spend his time learning the know-hows from Manish. Hence to Naira, Kartik was now just the brother of her friend, Keerti. Their adventures of childhood were a distant memory.

It was not only the time spent apart that distanced them. After getting involved with Manish and Akhilesh, Kartik's demeanor had also changed. Gone was the innocence of a child. His eyes, which once shone brightly, had lost it's sparkle. An overbearing shadow was perpetually cast on his face.

When she was 15, Naira once decided to talk to Kartik. He was getting more and more involved in the business and had missed a few days of school.

She went to his room and found him standing near the window, facing the lawn with his back to her.

"Hi," she greeted softly.

"Did you want something?" he asked grimly.

"No. I..." she hesitated, "I just came to... check on you. Is everything fine?"

He didn't respond. His back was still turned to her.

She continued, "You have missed school. You don't spend time with me-," she paused and added, "and Keerti. With me and Keerti. She misses her brother." And I miss my friend. She thought but didn't say.

Kartik's shoulder slumped, "Remember the games we used to play when we were kids? That game of police and thief. I would always be the police, the good guy who'd save the day."

Naira wanted Kartik to turn around so that she could see his face.

He continued, "We had plastic guns. It was so easy to pull the trigger of a fake gun and play dead."

He inhaled sharply, "It's so easy when the gun is fake..."

Naira slowly strode to him. Gently placing her palm on his shoulder, she whispered. "Kartik?"

Kartik's slumped shoulder straightened and he cleared his voice, "You should go Naira." He hadn't spared her one look.

"Talk to me." She pleaded, "I want to help."

He scoffed, "You can't. You wouldn't understand."

She didn't back down. "Let me try-." Before she could talk further, he had swiveled around. His eyes were red. "You can't do anything!" He bellowed. "These hands," he lifted his shaky palms, "...they are tainted."

She furrowed her brows trying to understand. Kartik balled his open palms and shut his eyes. "Leave Naira." He ordered, turning his back to her.

"I want to help-," she began when he interrupted in a stoical voice, "I don't need your help. You're not my friend. You're nothing. A nobody."

His words hurt her. "You don't mean that," she put up a weak defense.

"Leave Naira," he repeated his order.

She exhaled through her mouth, "Kartik, I-."

"Get out!" He yelled and it startled her.

Hot tears pricked her eyes. Without saying anything she left his room. The next few days, she thought that once he calmed down, he'd talk to her but it never happened. Kartik got more and more invested in the business and a void grew between them. Their childhood companionship was forgotten.

Naira thought it would be difficult to live under the same roof as Kartik and purposefully avoid him. Turned out it wasn't that hard. Kartik spent most of his time outdoors with Manish and Akhilesh and when he was home, he'd be holed up in Manish's study.

Sometimes when they came face to face, they'd avert their eyes and walk away like strangers. At first Naira had to act that she was indifferent to him. It wasn't easy for her. Keerti and Kartik were her only friends, her solace in this world. Later, however, it became more and more easier till being indifferent to him came as second nature to her.

To an outsider, they'd look like strangers. No one would assume that once they had been friends. That once she even had a crush on him. He was gentle and kind to her. Spending most of her time with him, had made a teenage Naira develop feelings that were beyond friendship. She was sure he reciprocated too. When their eyes would meet or hands would brush, a whole new range of emotions would burn in her. Sometimes, in his company, she would be shy; even blush. And he acted the same around her. But then they were young... two teens. Years later, only a faint remnant of the feelings remained.

[Chapter 1 word count- 2413]

Edited by ErisedWitch45 - 5 years ago
ErisedWitch45 thumbnail

Chapter 2 - Last Christmas

Naira didn't know her birthday. The orphanage matron had found her on a May night. Making a mental calculation, the matron had assumed her to be 5 months old. Her birth month was recorded as December 1998. The accuracy of  her birthday didn't matter since she didn't celebrate. How could her birth bring joy to anyone when her own parents had abandoned her?

Every December, she would wonder where she came from, who her parents were. Why did they leave her? Why did she end up alone?

During the 1st year of Naira's stay in Goenka house, 9-year-old Keerti was shocked that Naira didn't know her birthday. For Keerti, who had lavish birthday parties, the idea of not celebrating it was unimaginable. Every Christmas, the Goenkas threw a massive party. So Keerti decided that the party would also be Naira's birthday.

Of course the only people who knew were Keerti-Kartik and Naira. A piece of the Christmas cake became her birthday cake. Keerti lit a candle that Naira blew out as the siblings sang "happy birthday." They stealthily got away from the party, unseen by the elders, to celebrate in Naira's bedroom. Suhasini forbade them to enter the staff's residence so no one would look for them there.

For many years this small secret celebration went on. But on her 14th birthday, only Keerti showed up. Kartik couldn't sneak away from the party since Manish kept him close. He was being introduced to all the guests. Since then the trio was reduced to the duo of Keerti and Naira. Initially the absence of Kartik bothered her but after that day, when he screamed at her and thereafter avoided her, she became accustomed to his absence.

This year, Naira would turn 20. She had finished school 2 years back. Keerti, now 23, was pursuing a Masters in economics. Naira wanted to go to college too. But she couldn't muster the courage to ask anyone. Whom would she even consult? The Goenka adults and Kartik were apathetic to her. Keerti never had the guts to ask anything for herself, let alone for Naira. So Naira spent her time coaching 15-year-old Shubham for his school exams.

2 days before Christmas (and her secret birthday), Naira was called in Manish's study. He had sought her after forgetting' about her existence for almost 14 years. Naira racked her brain thinking why he had summoned her. Was she in trouble?

Bracing herself for the worst, Naira went to his study. He gestured her to take a place across the table. Naira sank into the chair, her heartbeat rising with each passing second.

"Are you scared?" Manish questioned.

She didn't respond. Her eyes were lowered and she kept her gaze on the floor.

"When I found you in Rishikesh, I couldn't believe my luck," Manish reminisced, "I had been searching you for years."

"Why?" She asked the one question that she had been wondering for ages.

Manish chuckled, "It's a long story. I will tell you one day... soon."

She wanted to prod him but she knew better. In the Goenka house, one would get what one deserved at the right time- not before, not after.

"How old are you now?" he asked.

"20," she answered timidly.

"How time flies... You were only 6 when I bought you. And now look at you," he commented, "All grown up."

The comment made Naira uneasy. "Did you want something?" she asked, still not meeting his gaze.

Manish declared, "This Christmas will be your last one in Goenka House." [3000 words]

Naira immediately looked up to face him. "What?" From her experience, she was very wary when someone used "last in their sentences.

Her panicked face amused Manish. "I am sending you to college. Outside India."

She furrowed her brows. Did she hear him correctly?

"What?" she repeated.

"Isn't that what you want? To go to college? It's what you told Shubham while tutoring him," Manish replied.

Naira had rambled to Shubham about wanting to attend college. Shubham did what Keerti couldn't- informed his father. And now Manish was letting her leave?

"Is this..." she hesitated. "Is this for real?

He nodded, "A client of mine will come from Bucharest for the Christmas party. He'll take you when he returns. It'll be taken care of."

It sounded surreal. Tears clouded her eyes and she sniffled, "Mr. Goenka... I... I don't know what...to say," he spoke in fragments. "Thank you."

There was sincerity in Manish's voice. He really was sending her away, setting her free. In that moment of sheer happiness, she didn't bother to ask why he was sending her abroad, or with that particular client. These questions seemed trivial. Her freedom was in her grasp.

She was processing this news when he bombarded her with another, "Come to the party." In all these years, she was never invited to the Christmas soiree. "Wear something nice," he added.

Naira could only nod enthusiastically. She was too shaken to speak. Taking his leave, she rushed to Keerti's room. She had to share the news with someone. It was the best thing that had happened to her in ages.

Overjoyed, Naira barged into Keerti's room without knocking only to find Kartik.

"Where..." Naira panted trying to catch her breath.

Kartik understood the question. "Keerti just left."

"Okay." She muttered, turning to exit.

"What happened?" Kartik's sudden question made her swivel around.

For the first time in 5 years they were in a room, alone.

"You seem flustered," he added.

Also for the first time in 5 years Kartik spoke directly to her.

"Nothing," she lied.

The disbelief in his eyes was apparent though he silently exited the room.

If things were fine, she'd have told him even before telling Keerti. But things weren't. Naira shut the negative thoughts. Today was a happy day. She wouldn't let old memories spoil it.

------------

Naira spent the next 2 days in a daze. She was invited to the exclusive party and more importantly, was going away for college. She kept pinching herself to ensure that it wasn't a dream.

For the Christmas party, Keerti had lent Naira a sleek black gown. She paired it with golden heels. Once she was ready, she took a peek at the mirror. Naira couldn't recognize the reflection of the girl who was staring back at her. She looked and felt like a princess.

Manish had told her to make an effort, to look nice and she had. A hopeful yet nervous Naira trailed behind Keerti to the ballroom where the party was held.

A huge Christmas tree was set up at the centre. Female servers, dressed in skimpy santa outfits, were serving hors d'oeuvres and champagne. All the guests looked like a million bucks.

Keerti went to socialize with the guests and Naira found a quiet corner. She scanned the room searching Manish. He was supposed to introduce her to a guest, who'd be her benefactor.

She spotted Manish with Kartik surrounded by guests. They were drinking and chatting. Naira waited patiently for him to take notice. After sometime, Manish, Akhilesh, Kartik and a guest left the ballroom. Naira debated if she should follow Manish. Maybe he forgot about her. She didn't have to wait for long. A staff informed that Manish wanted her to come to his study.

Taking a deep breath, she entered the study. Manish sat on his chair; Akhilesh stood by his side. A man, whom Naira had never seen before, was on the couch. Kartik, who stood near the door, was shocked on seeing her.

"What are you doing here?" Kartik asked, visibly displeased.

"I called her," Manish responded. "Come here Naira. Meet Mr.Andrei Vasile."

Naira avoided Kartik's lingering gaze and walked to the Romanian. The man stood up and towered over her.

"Hello Mr.Vasile," Naira greeted him.

The man eyed her from head to toe and smiled, "Call me Andrei." He had a heavy accent. There was something unsettling about the way he stared at her. Naira nervously took a step back.

Manish spoke, "Andrie will take you to Bucharest. He is a big hotelier. You'll be his guest."

"Thank you," Naira said, her glance wavering between Manish and Andrie, whose eyes had never left her face. There was this tug in her belly. Something about the way he eyed her, was making her uncomfortable. She tried to set the feeling aside.

Manish asked to make a drink for them and Naira dashed to the liquor cabinet in the other room, grateful to be at a distance from Andrie.

Naira set 4 glasses on the counter. She was uncorking a bottle of whiskey when she heard footsteps. Her heart started drumming thinking that it was Andrie who had followed her. Relief washed over her when she saw Kartik.

"What did my father say to you?" he asked, pointedly.

"About what?" she questioned, confused.

"About Mr. Vasile."

Naira poured the whiskey in the glasses. "Nothing important," she lied.

When Naira turned around with a tray of glasses, Kartik had covered the distance and stood in front of her. The tray was the only thing separating them.

His eyes bore into hers, "Whatever it is," he clenched his teeth, "It's not happening."

He snatched the tray from her and before she could respond he ordered, "Go to your room."

He immediately exited the room with the tray. Naira stood still in the dimly lit room. As Kartik walked away so did her freedom. She was in a fix. She knew from experience that she should never disobey a Goenka. Yet she couldn't let her one chance of freedom be snatched away.

Gathering her nerves, she made a swift decision and followed Kartik back to Manish's study. Kartik had just set the tray on the table when he saw Naira enter. He was furious but it didn't matter. If tonight went well, Naira would be out of this hellhole and then none of these people would matter.

The 4 men picked up one glass each from the tray. Manish made a toast, they clinked their glasses and took a swig.

"Naira," Manish called her. He took a sip before speaking, "Andrei has agreed. Tomorrow when he leaves he will-." Manish paused and coughed, "he will take you-." He coughed again. This time more violently.

Akhilesh poured him a glass of water. With shaky fingers, Manish took the glass and gulped down the water. The next moment, he retched it out along with blood.

"Father!" Kartik exclaimed and rushed to Manish's side. Akhilesh and Kartik supported Manish, who had begun to shake violently, retching out more blood.

"Call the doctor!" Kartik yelled at Naira who stood shell-shocked. "Naira!" Kartik shouted and his voice brought her to the present.

Naira rushed to the telephone and dialed the doctor's number. The phone was still ringing when Naira heard a loud thud. Manish had fallen from Kartik and Akhilesh's grip. He laid on the floor, his white shirt drenched in blood. His eyes were open but he didn't make a movement.

"Hello," boomed the doctor's voice in Naira's ears. The receiver fell from her hand and her jaw dropped open.

In the mid of the carpeted office floor, lay the lifeless body of Manish Goenka.

[Chapter 2 word count = 1871]

[Total word count = 4284]

foxi thumbnail
loving it, so different and interesting
ErisedWitch45 thumbnail

Originally posted by: foxi

loving it, so different and interesting

Thanks so much!
Glad you're liking it :)
ErisedWitch45 thumbnail

~Based on Prompt 3~

Chapter 3 - New King

The funeral of mob boss Manish Goenka was attended by all: criminals, businesspersons, politicians and police alike. For the next few days, many guests came to pay their respect to the late Goenka and to welcome the new head-Kartik.

Manish was grooming Kartik to take his place one day. No one could've imagined that this day would be upon them so soon. Suhasini deemed Kartik ready to take the throne and so he did. Akhilesh, the consigliore to Manish, was now advisor to Kartik.

The news of a young Kartik taking over meant that the rival gangs saw this as an opportunity to encroach on Goenkas' turf. Hence even in a time of tragedy, there was no peace in the house.

On New Year's Eve, Akhilesh called Naira to his office. His summon stunned her.

"Bhaisaab's passing," Akhilesh addressed his late brother, "is a big loss. He was my guide, my guru."

Akhilesh's voice had become hoarse which shocked Naira. Was he, a man feared by all, getting emotional in front of her?

Akhilesh cleared his voice, "He was poisoned."

This information astonished her.

He elaborated. "The poison was in the glass of whiskey... that you poured."

Cold sweat broke out on her forehead. Was he implying that she poisoned Manish?

"I..." she protested weakly, "I didn't do anything. I just uncorked a bottle and poured it. You all drank the same whiskey. Nothing happened to you." As she spoke, her voice strengthened since she was telling the truth.

"You could've added the poison in Bhaisaab's glass." His voice was menacing, meant to intimidate her.

As Naira had nothing to hide, she replied calmly. "I didn't know which glass Mr. Goenka would pick. I didn't even serve-." She paused abruptly, recalling the events of that night. She was in the liquor room, she had uncorked and poured 4 glasses but she never took the tray. Kartik had come in, interrupted her and then snatched the tray from her.

"What is it?" Akhilesh prodded.

She bit her lower lip, "After I poured the drink, Kartik took the tray from me."

Akhilesh furrowed his eyebrows to focus. "Yes... I remember. Kartik brought the glasses. Between you and Bhaisaab, Kartik was the only one who had access to the glass..."

"What are you saying?" Her question was rhetoric. Akhilesh's implication was clear.

Naira shook her head, "Kartik would never hurt-."

"Never hurt someone? Let alone his father?" Akhilesh mocked her naivety. "The Kartik you knew 5 years ago is not the same man who sits on Bhaisaab's chair."

Naira knew Kartik had changed. But could he kill his own father?

"Why would he?" she asked the most logical question her disturbed mind could conjure.

"For all this," Akhilesh spread his arms, "The power, the throne."

"It doesn't add up. Everything would any way go to him. He's the heir," she reasoned.

"Not the only one," Akhilesh muttered, "There is Shubham."

"Shubham's just a child."

"Shubham is 15- the same age Kartik was when he held his first gun," Akhilesh replied. "Power is a drug. You don't know how addicted you're, till someone threatens to take it away. Everyone knows that differences were brewing between Bhaisaab and Kartik, that Bhaisaab had second thoughts..."

Naira processed Akhilesh's words. If there was conflict between Manish and Kartik, with Shubham in the picture, could Kartik really... She let the thought trail off. Kartik was her friend. He wasn't the same person and she barely recognized him now but could he stoop so low?

"Why are you telling me all this?" she abruptly asked. Akhilesh had never spoken to her till date. Yet here he was revealing internal politics and conspiracies to her- a stranger.

"Because," he sighed, "I need to know who was behind Bhaisaab's attack. I need to find the truth and you are the only one who witnessed it."

"What do you want me to do?" Naira asked, befuddled, "Go to the police?"

Akhilesh shook his head, "They won't believe you without evidence but you can help me gather proof. Be my eyes and ears."

Naira scoffed, "What?" When his expressions remained solemn, she asked, "Are you serious?"

"I can't act against Kartik. If he gets a whiff that I suspect him; it'll be a full-fledged war. We can't afford that." He explained.

The image that Naira had of a cold-blooded killer was dissipating. In front of her was a man who was shaken by the loss of his brother.

"I am sorry for your loss. But I can't get involved in all this. I am leaving Mumbai. Mr. Goenka had made arrangements for me to go to-."

"Bucharest?" Akhilesh interrupted her, "Yeah, about that. Kartik cancelled it and sent Mr. Vasile away."

"What!" this time there was a rise in her tone.

"Oh! You think Kartik cares about you? About your life?" Akhilesh mocked her, "One of his first decisions after coming in power was to cancel all deals with Vasile. So if you think, Bhaisaab's passing will have no effect on your life, you are mistaken."

Naira had always kept a lid on her emotions. Goenka house did not take kindly to a display of sentiments especially by someone as trivial as her. But what Akhilesh said, hit a nerve. The one thing she had been pining for years was to leave and now at the brink of freedom, she was being pulled back!

Anger rose through her and without giving Akhilesh a response she dashed out of the office to find this new king.

---------

Despite of living under the same roof, one couldn't just meet the boss when one wanted to. Kartik's bodyguards made this abundantly clear to Naira. She waited outside his office, her fury rising with each second. He had visitors all round the day. He came out once to escort a guest but didn't spare a glance at her. It was clear just how irrelevant she was.

She had waited 14 years for something to happen to her- for Manish to punish her.

To wait everyday and think that this is the day when he comes for me. To live a decade in fear is suffocating.

Her imprisonment was ending but at the last moment, Kartik intervened. She wanted answers. She wanted her freedom.

---------

Despite of every bone in her body telling her not to, she sneaked into Kartik's bedroom since waiting at the office was futile.

Naira waited in the dark room for hours when at 2am, Kartik entered. He bolted the door without switching on the lights and crashed into the bed.

Naira, who was hidden by the darkness, turned on the light.

A startled Kartik jumped up from the bed with a handgun pointed at the intruder.

"Naira!" he exclaimed, lowering his hand, "What were you thinking? Sneaking up on me like that? I could've shot you."

"Why are you doing this?" she asked, pointedly.

He furrowed his eyebrows in confusion.

"Why are you not letting me go?"

His creased eyebrows relaxed and he sighed. "I've had a long day. Close the door on your way out."

He was about to get in the bed when she exclaimed, "I waited the whole day to speak to you. You owe me some answers."

Kartik slowly turned to look at her. His face didn't show any emotion.

Gathering her nerves, she reiterated, "Why are you doing this? Answer me!"

Kartik took a few steps till he was in front of her. "I don't owe you anything." He grumbled slowly, letting each word sink in.

Naira gulped, trying to keep a brave face. He was close, so close that she could feel his breath on her face. "You have to-," she tried to speak when he cut her in, "I don't have to do anything. Not for you. Not anyone else."

Up close she realized his eyes were red- either he was tired or angry. Maybe it wasn't the right time to speak to him. But then it never would be.

She firmly stared in his eyes. "You've to. Your father told me that I could leave. You can't go back on his words. The least you can do is honor him."

Kartik suddenly grabbed her arm, pulling her close, "How dare you!" he practically breathed on her face. "You all think I am weak? Since my father is no more you can manipulate and threaten me?"

Naira could infer that he wasn't referring to her. So the rumors of Kartik's position as the leader being challenged were true.

"Who am I to threaten you?" she countered, twisting her arm in his grip, "I am a nobody. Remember? That's why you can do what you wish. One moment you can free me, the next, ensnare me again." She wanted to sound strong but her voice was shaking. She could feel tears stinging her eyes.

Please!  I can't cry now. Not in front of him.

Kartik stared at her and as abruptly as he had grabbed her arm, he let go. "Get out." He hissed and walked to his bed.

Naira's eyes clouded with tears. What was she expecting? That he'd listen to her, take pity on her? Time and again he had made it clear that she was nothing. Why would she matter to him?

Naira left the room, humiliated. That night, she didn't sleep. It was January 1, a new year but to Naira it was just another day. Her life would always remain the same if she didn't do anything.

A resolve started steeling in her heart. She had two options- remain in this cage or fight back. Kartik may have been her friend once but now, he was the obstacle standing between her and freedom. She needed to take him out. On her own, it would be a futile mission. Luckily she had assistance.

The next morning Naira met Akhilesh.

"I am in," she announced with determination, "what can I do to bring Kartik Goenka down?"

[Chapter 3 word count = 1661]

[Total word count = 5945]

ErisedWitch45 thumbnail

Chapter 4 - Death Wish

The plan was logical- Akhilesh would get Naira in closed rooms, give codes and keys to lockers. All she had to do was get proof that Kartik was involved in Manish's murder. Poisoning a mob boss's drink wasn't an easy task. One couldn't casually bring it in a household that was so heavily guarded.

Naira was the perfect mole. She lived in the Goenka house and had either full or partial access to all the rooms. She was a regular face so no one would doubt her. Her work was to get whatever Akhilesh wanted and then replace it carefully so that no one would suspect.

Hence for a month, Naira snooped around. Only whatever Akhilesh made her collect had nothing to do with poison or murder. He made her snitch pen-drives, diaries and files. Naira read some of the papers but they were filled with incomprehensible jargons and numbers.

After a month she was tired of the charade. She risked her life everyday yet she wasn't getting anywhere. She took up her frustration to Akhilesh who sternly asked her to stick to the plan.

Frustrated that all her efforts were in vain, she decided to take matters in her own hand. She was a witness in Manish's murder. She could testify to the events that had transpired that night. Why was she wasting her time on a futile task when she should've gone to the police directly?

No, it was stupid plan. Her testimony would in no way implicate Kartik Goenka. She never saw him add anything to the glass. When she had re-entered the room, the glasses were already on the table and Manish was picking his up.

Moreover she couldn't just walk out of the gates of the house to go anywhere. The landlines were restricted to calling a few numbers and she was never given a cellphone. Her contact with the outside world was only through TV and newspapers. During her school days, she was taken straight to the school and then brought back home.

With each passing day, her patience was running thin... until an opportunity presented itself.

On a February morning she was tutoring Shubham for his exams. While he was busy solving a math problem, Naira stealthily took his cellphone and went to the washroom. It was password protected but she didn't have to unlock the phone to make an emergency call. She dialed 100, waiting for someone to pick up.

The call was received. "How may I help you?"

"Ehh..." Naira stuttered. She hadn't thought this through. "I... eh... I wanted to report a..."

"Yes?" the voice encouraged her.

"I wanted to... I am a witness to a..."

"Ma'am, are you in any danger?"

"Uh... I... I don't know..."

"Is there someone around you?"

"No."

"Can you tell me your address?"

Naira hung up. She should've put more thought in to what she was going to say. She hoped that no cops show up at the Goenka House. Could they trace her location?

She stealthily replaced Shubham's iphone, grateful that he hadn't noticed.

---------

Later that night, Naira twisted and turned in the bed but couldn't sleep. On one hand she wondered if she had missed an opportunity by prematurely disconnecting the call to the police? On the other hand she knew that it wouldn't lead to anything. Even if the police showed up what would have happened? It's not like she knew anything. It was just conjecture.

Suddenly, her bedroom door creaked and she heard it being bolted. Startled, she sat up on the bed.

"Who is it?" she called out to the darkness.

She got up from the bed and picked a vase kept on the nightstand. Arming it as a weapon in her right hand, her left hand fumbled in the darkness for the switch. She flicked the light on.

Kartik was standing in her room.

He looked grim. He took a few steps to her till he was face to face with her. "Are you stupid or do you have a death wish?" he questioned in a deep voice.

Naira observed his face. He looked dull and tired. His eyes were puffy and the area underneath was dark. It seemed like he hadn't rested in a long time.

"Tell me." His voice made her avert her eyes from his face.

He was angry, "Why did you call the police today?"

A chill ran down her spine and she looked at him, horrified.

"How..." she stuttered, fear evident in her voice, "how did you..." she let the question trail off. Shubham had hardly taken notice that Naira nicked his phone. There was no one else in the room. How could Kartik know unless...

"You've tapped in Shubham's phone?" she asked, mortified, "Are you listening in on his conversations? Reading his texts?"

Kartik's lack of response cemented her belief. Was Akhilesh telling the truth? That Kartik was paranoid of Shubham taking over? Is that why he was spying on his little brother?

This made her think whom else he was spying on? Did he know that she had been sneaking around his office?

Naira gulped and tried to maintain a brave face.

"What are you hiding?" he asked, his voice a whisper.

She shook her head. "Nothing." She lied with as much conviction as she could.

He observed her intently. Then he lifted his hand and placed his thumb on her forehead, running it down to her cheeks. Naira raised her eyes, completely taken aback. What was he doing?

His thumb lightly grazed her cheek and it stirred something in her- feelings that she had buried deep in her heart, feelings that were confusing and had made themselves visible at a very inappropriate time.

His thumb lingered on her skin for some moments. Almost as if waking up from a dream, he abruptly lowered his hand. The sudden break of contact unsettled her, for some reason.

When he spoke, he averted his eyes, "You're lucky I was the one who intercepted the call. If someone else had found out you'd be in trouble."

Naira could sense concern in his tone but she brushed it off. There was no way he'd care for her after condemning her to a prison.

His words gave her another breather that he didn't know about her deal with Akhilesh.

"If there is something," the softness had returned to his voice, "you can tell me."

Tell you what? That I suspect you killed your father?

She shook her head and lied again, "There is nothing."

"Then why did you call the police?"

"It was a misdial..." she fumbled for an excuse.

"Naira, I heard the entire conversation. It wasn't a misdial," he commented, "What are you up to?"

"Why are you here?" she countered him, raising her voice, "At this time of the night? If you want to punish me for calling the police then get on with it. Or else leave."

"You think I came here to punish you? That I would harm you?" he replied, like he was hurt. "Maybe you don't know me at all." Saying so he exited the room leaving behind a very confused Naira.

The interaction with Kartik and his unusual behavior put Naira in deep thought. He knew that she called the cops- something that could have cost her life yet he didn't do anything to her.

And the way he touched her face... The remnant of his touch still lingered on her skin... the memory of it was fresh and refused to fade way, even after days.

What did this mean?

---------

Kartik wasn't the only Goenka who surprised her that month. One afternoon Keerti initiated a conversation about Kartik.

"Have you seen Kartik lately?" Keerti asked.

The question caught Naira off-guard. "Er..." she stammered. Did Keerti know of Kartik's visit to her room? "Umm... why do you ask?"

"I am worried about him," Keerti sighed. Naira too sighed in relief, brushing aside the image of Kartik standing close to her, trailing his thumb on her skin.

Keerti went on, "He's not eating properly. He doesn't sleep well. All day he is either holed up in the office or outside. I think father's passing has affected him very deeply."

Her description confused Naira. Yes, there was a visible change in Kartik but Akhilesh's words rang in her head that Kartik had a hand in Manish's murder.

"I wish I could help him. You know how he is," Keerti said. "He doesn't let anyone in. He is hiding the pain. It's not healthy. I fear he'll... he'll lose it one day."

Naira sympathized with Keerti. Kartik did have a way of shutting people out. Like he had shut her out 5 years back. One day they were friends, the next, strangers.

"Will you talk to him?" Keerti's request stupefied Naira. "Me?" she asked in disbelief.

Keerti nodded, "I remember how close you two were."

"That was years ago," Naira exclaimed, "In case you haven't noticed, we're not on speaking terms."

"But we've to do something!" Keerti started pacing in the room, "Grandma and Uncle are least bothered about his mental or physical health. It's on us Naira. Please... help me"

Naira shrugged her shoulder. Keerti's fears were valid but her solution was a disaster. If Naira went to Kartik, he'd probably throw her out of his room. Though... her mind recalled the incident from the other night. She had contacted the police, yet he didn't even so much as reprimand her... And then he said that she didn't know him well if she thought he could hurt her... Did it mean something?

"Naira!" Keerti's voice jolted her from her thoughts, "The rival families consider him as a weak leader and are instigating other against him... and then there is this new cop who is after him-."

"New cop?" Naira's ears perked up.

Keerti nodded, "Yeah... some Aditya Bansal. He is not interested in being amicable with us."

Which meant this new cop was honest and couldn't be corrupted by the Goenka's power or money, unlike the hordes of officers who were in their pockets. This meant that Aditya could be of help to Naira. If she approached him, maybe he'd be interested in what she had to say.

This gave her an idea. "I think you're right," Naira told Keerti, "We should help Kartik."

"Really?" The look of happiness on Keerti's face made Naira feel bad. Keerti was her only friend and now Naira was lying to her but she had to.

Naira nodded, "I think... we should take Kartik out... like a day off. A change of scenery can help him. You, him, Shubham and I. It'll be like old days. And then we can talk to him."

"That's a great idea!" Keerti acknowledged.

"So... can you make it happen? Can we go out?" Naira asked carefully.

Keerti nodded enthusiastically, "I'll definitely try."

Naira smiled. Once she was out of the Goenka prison, she could sneak off to meet this cop- Aditya and then... if everything went well, Kartik Goenka would be behind bars and she would be free.

[Chapter 4 word count = 1851]

[Total word count = 7796]

ErisedWitch45 thumbnail

Chapter 5.A. - Getaway

Turned out when it came to her brother, Keerti did know how to put her foot down. She took Naira's plan of going out, to fruition. Two weeks later, the four of them- Keerti, Kartik, Shubham and Naira, in 1 car, and their bodyguards in another, set off.

Keerti decided to spend the weekend in one of their farmhouses at Alibaug- 3 hours drive from Mumbai.

The moment they drove out of the mansion, Naira was filled with joy. Outings like this were a rarity for her.

Kartik was driving with Keerti in the front passenger seat and Shubham and Naira in the rear seat. The congested roads of the city gave way to wide-open highway. Kartik accelerated on the freeway.

Naira rolled down the window and titled her head to feel the wind on her face. She closed her eyes, letting the warm sun and the cool wind wash over her. When she turned to face inside, she caught Kartik glancing at her in the rear view mirror. He immediately averted his eyes and Naira felt something stir inside her. She brushed aside the strange feeling though her eyes kept travelling to the mirror, to see if he'd look at her again.  And sometimes, he did. [8000 words]

---------

3 hours later, they reached the farmhouse. It was huge and surrounded by sprawling lawns. The area was relatively secluded. The guards set up perimeter around the house.

The inside was even more opulent with a huge patio, a pool, and a fireplace. How satisfying it would be if she could lie on the couch and read a book as the fire burnt...

She jolted herself out from the reverie. She wasn't here to relax. She was on a mission- of contacting the cop. Her plan hinged on finding a phone. She couldn't use any of the landlines or mobiles since she knew Kartik had tapped in. She needed to find a way to go into the town. She'd have to figure something out.

Later Keerti took charge of dinner and the others sat around the kitchen island. Naira could see that even Keerti was in high spirits. Keerti initiated many conversations, mostly about their childhood so that Kartik would open up. He smiled, sometimes chuckled when Keerti took them down memory lane.

After dinner, Shubham settled in front of the tv and Kartik sat outside, on the patio. Keerti handed Naira two plates of dessert and gestured her to talk to Kartik.

When Naira protested, Keerti reminded her, "You promised you'll help me. Go and get him to talk."

Naira huffed and carried the plates outside. When he saw her approach, Kartik took the plates from her and set them on a table.

They both stood in awkward silence for sometime. Naira walked to the edge of the patio, to look up at the night sky. "It's a beautiful night." She commented feebly. It was better than standing silently.

Kartik stood next to her leaning on a pillar, "It is." Silence settled between them again.

Naira spoke first, "So... how are you doing?"

From her peripheral vision, Naira saw him shrug. She turned to face him, "Keerti is worried about you."

"I know," he nodded, running a hand through his hair, "This is why she brought us here. To get away."

"Did you need to get away?" she asked in rhetoric. The answer was visible on his face. The perpetual stress that had cast a gloom on his face was fading within a day.

"Naira," he swiveled to face her. "I'm sorry."

Her eyebrows raised in surprise. She wasn't expecting an apology.

"For cutting you out of my life," he explained, "That day, all those years back, you were trying to help and I... I hurt you."

Naira opened her mouth to speak but no words came out. An apology?

"I shouldn't have said those things. I didn't mean it," he looked down at his shoes. "And I never made amends after that. I just pushed you out..." This time he held her gaze. "I'm sorry."

Naira was massively puzzled. Was this new leader of a crime syndicate really asking her forgiveness? Was this the same person who had a hand in his father's murder? Who was spying on his brother?

"Kartik," she finally spoke after a long pause, "You don't have to apologize. It's water under the bridge." She lied. The way he broke off their friendship had hurt her. This acknowledgement and apology from him provided some comfort.

Kartik moved toward her till he was at a hand's distance from her. A fluttery feeling took hold in her stomach at the proximity. He took her right hand in his and held it very lightly. "Thanks for coming here. This means a lot."

Naira could feel her heart beat rapidly. She looked anywhere but at him because she knew his gaze was fixed on her. She nodded as he lightly squeezed her hand.

"Goodnight," he bade her and walked inside.

For a long time, Naira stood outside, replaying the recent events. Kartik apologized to her, thanked her for coming, took her hand in his...

What scared her more than his gestures was the way her body was reacting to him, the way her heart would start beating fast and a familiar fluttery feeling resurfaced.

This wasn't going the way she had planned.

[Chapter 5.A. word count = 893]

[Total word count = 8689]