Chandragupta Maurya

Chandra gupta Maurya family

myviewprem thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 5 years ago
In every Chandragupta Maurya show they show Chandra was son of an ex King murdered and his mom is prisoner of Dhananand 

But in reality Chandra gupta was found as baby in cow shed by his adopted parents Dharma and Mura

He never had a own family and could never find who his family or parents were 

His adopted father was a peackock heardsmen and hence name Maurya means Peakock (in modern times its called Mor)

In jain texts his fathers name is Sarvatha Siddhi but thats not his real father 

Since he converted to jainism in his later years they just named his father as that 

Edited by myviewprem - 5 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

harshu27 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Hi prem so gd to c u aftr ages on d forum... dt too frm a ja forum... πŸ˜Šhope to c u regularly on dis forum😊
CGM was a very private person when it came to his family.
πŸ˜†
myviewprem thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: harshu27

Hi prem so gd to c u aftr ages on d forum... dt too frm a ja forum... πŸ˜Šhope to c u regularly on dis forum😊

Thanks harshu good to see u 

i am on DEM and this forum 

Edited by myviewprem - 5 years ago
myviewprem thumbnail
CGM mom(foster mom) was beheaded by Dhananand
sanghita0000 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Okay , but there are so many stories that i think even writers are confused...πŸ˜†
sashashyam thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Let me add my two pennyworth  to this thread of my young friend Prem's. I was not planning to  write anything about this murky subject at all, but habit triumphs over one's inclinations. πŸ˜‰

Now it seems  to me,  going by the various theories  I was already familiar with, like the Buddhist one about Chandragupta belonging to the Sakya clan of the Lord Buddha, and the material sure to be collated and  presented in this  forum by  the superbly meticulous Abhay (history_geek)  - or at least I hope so, and if not I shall miss him sorely -  that there  is no shortage of versions of Chandragupta's origins,  and all the related issues like Mura's identity and the like. It is like a supermarket - you look around and you take your pick. It could be true or it could be untrue.  Nothing and no one can conclusively prove that your choice is the latter.

The version  shown here has a lot going for it, especially the Piplivan connection.  So let us not fret and fume about historical accuracy, for no one knows what that  is for this pre-Mauryan period, or indeed for  a lot else. 

And let us not indulge in obiter dicta about this or  that which might or might not have happened in Chandragupta's life, for all the world  as if we had been around then and had actually seen it.πŸ˜‰

Instead, let us relax and try and enjoy what we can from what we are shown. There is much to amuse one here, and I shall try and do a  dramatis personae, to lighten everyone's mood if for nothing else!

Shyamala Aunty

Edited by sashashyam - 5 years ago
myviewprem thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: sashashyam

Let me add my two pennyworth  to this thread of my young friend Prem's. I was not planning to  write anything about this murky subject at all, but habit triumphs over one's inclinations. πŸ˜‰

Now it seems  to me,  going by the various theories  I was already familiar with, like the Buddhist one about Chandragupta belonging to the Sakya clan of the Lord Buddha, and the material sure to be collated and  presented in this  forum by  the superbly meticulous Abhay (history_geek)  - or at least I hope so, and if not I shall miss him sorely -  that there  is no shortage of versions of Chandragupta's origins,  and all the related issues like Mura's identity and the like. It is like a supermarket - you look around and you take your pick. It could be true or it could be untrue.  Nothing and no one can conclusively prove that your choice is the latter.

The version  shown here has a lot going for it, especially the Piplivan connection.  So let us not fret and fume about historical accuracy, for no one knows what that  is for this pre-Mauryan period, or indeed for  a lot else. 

And let us not indulge in obiter dicta about this or  that which might or might not have happened in Chandragupta's life, for all the world  as if we had be around then and had actually seen it.πŸ˜‰

Instead, let us relax and try and enjoy what we can from what we are shown. There is much to amuse one here, and I shall try and do a  dramatis personae, to lighten everyone's mood if for nothing else!

Shyamala Aunty

Aunty

Good to see you on this forum

What i wrote is what many book say

Buddist book says hes sakya clan from piplivaan but there is no proof 

Some say hes sudra some kshatriya etc 

sashashyam thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
It is good to be back with you too, my dear Prem.

But you see, though many books might be supporting what you said, and there might be no proof for the theory that Chandragupta Maurya belonged to the Sakya clan of the Lord Buddha, neither means much. 

See, with the total destruction of the Nalanda Universtiy by Bakhtiyar Khilji, and the similar destruction of Takshashila Vishwavidyalaya, most of what could have been decisive evidence for all these matters that interest us now, was destroyed. 

So now, folks are being forced to work on a very thin slice of historical evidence. One cannot  make any categoric decisions one  way or the other in this basis, and I frankly have no intention of joining in all these speculations, for that is all they can be.

As for Chandragupta Maurya, who was clearly a very great warrior, being a Kshatriya or not, that is a matter that cannot be decided on the basis of the currently available evidence.  And how does it matter, anyway? He was a great warrior and a great emperor, and that is it.

I am in two minds now as to whether to do my  dramatis personae  post at all. It takes me a lot of effort, with my painful, rheumatic fingers,  and it seems that there is hardly anyone around to read it.  It just does not seem worth the effort. 

The  Porus   forum was the same, tiny and apathetic, as are the current forums for Karnsangini  and  Radhakrishn. 

Finally, I do not understand this great urge in production houses to repeatedly make shows about Chandragupta Maurya, which are bound to be affected by the law of diminishing returns. Why does no one think of making a serial on Skandagupta, who fought off the Huns, who were far, far more destructive than Alexander could ever have been? 

Shyamala Aunty

This content was originally posted by: myviewprem

Aunty

Good to see you on this forum

What i wrote is what many book say

Buddist book says hes sakya clan from piplivaan but there is no proof 

Some say hes sudra some kshatriya etc 

And let us not indulge in obiter dicta about this or  that which might or might not have happened in Chandragupta Maurya's life, for all the world  as if we had be around then and had actually seen it.πŸ˜‰

Shyamala Aunty

Edited by sashashyam - 5 years ago

It is good to be back with you too, my dear Prem.

But you see, though many books might be supporting what you said, and there might be no proof for the theory that Chandragupta Maurya belonged to the Sakya clan of the Lord Buddha, neither means much. 

See, with the total destruction of the Nalanda Universtiy by Bakhtiyar Khilji, and the similar destruction of Takshashila Vishwavidyalaya, most of what could have been decisive evidence for all these matters that interest us now, was destroyed. 

So now, folks are being forced to work on a very thin slice of historical evidence. One cannot  make any categoric decisions one  way or the other in this basis, and I frankly have no intention of joining in all these speculations, for that is all they can be.

As for Chandragupta Maurya, who was clearly a very great warrior, being a Kshatriya or not, that is a matter that cannot be decided on the basis of the currently available evidence.  And how does it matter, anyway? He was a great warrior and a great emperor, and that is it.

I am in two minds now as to whether to do my  dramatis personae  post at all. It takes me a lot of effort, with my painful, rheumatic fingers,  and it seems that there is hardly anyone around to read it.  It just does not seem worth the effort. 

The  Porus   forum was the same, tiny and apathetic, as are the current forums for Karnsangini  and  Radhakrishn. 

Finally, I do not understand this great urge in production houses to repeatedly make shows about Chandragupta Maurya, which are bound to be affected by the law of diminishing returns. Why does no one think of making a serial on Skandagupta, who fought off the Huns, who were far, far more destructive than Alexander could ever have been? 

Shyamala Aunty

[/QUOTE ay

Maybe because no show has shown his story properly.
Old CGM was shut down abruptly, Chandra nandini can't be called his story at all and this one is gonna mess it up even more. Why make shows on him when you can't even research about him properly. chakravartin ashok established darling cornelia as vamp because of which story of cgm suffers Everytime.

nn