KarnSangini

"SUTA" caste was not a LOW caste!!

bhas1066 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 5 years ago
Hi friends,

One thing I noticed in the episodes so far is the wrong dramatization of "suta"  as similar to a "shudra" ------- when Drona says to karna that shudras are meant for servitude ------ the show ridicules karna on this basis rather dramatically!

This is a huge misrepresentation-----SUTA was not a low caste!!

Suta is a person born of a Brahmin mother and Kshatriya father.
King Yayati married Devyani who is a brahmin and their son was Yadu who founded the Yadava dynasty where Krishna was born. So technically Krishna is also a Suta. 

So what is the reality of the caste SUTA???

The people of suta caste were responsible for telling religious stories at a  Yagna. After the Yagna was over, they were called to give discourses on religious texts and stories. They were also the Royal Herald or Bard. An example is Sootji or Ugrasharva who is the narrator of Satyanarayana Puja and also the Mahabharata in Naimisharanya forest.
Because Karna father Adhiratha also held the role of a royal charioteer, it is wrongly interpreted as the main duty of Suta caste. Karna father was the nephew of Jarasandha. But Sutas could also become Kshatriya's like Keechak or Advisors to king like Sanjaya and Vidur.They lived within the palace and we're not prohibited from learning weaponary or academic knowledge.

Edited by bhas1066 - 5 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

SweetRogue thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
For anyone who wishes to verify, this is the citation of the Laws of Manu. Refer point no. 11:-
http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/manu/manu10.htm

For the post:-
Pretty accurate. But this is nothing new. Since almost every TV  adaptation of Mahabharata has portrayed that suta=shudra which isn't true. Even some great works of literature on Mahbharata have added to this misconception. 
riti4u thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 7
I think they broadly classified castes in four categories. Sutas that you are referring is mixed caste described in Manusmriti. However the puranas had it differently categorized.They were mainly based on work these people would do .. like sutas would mostly drive chariots and tell stories as you said..

Agni_Jytsona thumbnail
Love Couple India Season 2 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 9
thanks for the information ðŸ¤—
adithyan thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Then why is Karn insulted repeatedly ?
SweetRogue thumbnail
Originally posted by: riti4u

I think they broadly classified castes in four categories. Sutas that you are referring is mixed caste described in Manusmriti. However the puranas had it differently categorized.They were mainly based on work these people would do .. like sutas would mostly drive chariots and tell stories as you said..

But there wasn't any prohibition for them for learning the use of weaponry as far as I know. Kichaka too, is supposed to be a Suta and he is so powerful in the mastsya kingdom that even the King Virat cannot punish him for his misbehavior. 
Priya_Vrisha thumbnail
Dear friends,

Suta's people who belongs to class of charioteer were considered to be low caste humans. They have no respect in society. Infact all mix caste were disrespected in society

This is statement of yudhistira where he confessed that mix caste (like suta) were dirty and deserve no respect in society

"Yudhishthira said, 'There are men who belong to the mixed castes, and who are of very impure birth. Though presenting the features of respectability, they are in reality disrespectable. In consequence of these external aspects we may not be able to know the truth about their birth.

Reference - Shanti Parv, 13

I have seen regular insult of karna where all called him lowest born human.

1] Bhima's View

And, O worst of mortals, surely thou art not worthy to sway the kingdom of Anga, even as a dog doth not deserve the butter placed before the sacrificial fire.' Karna, thus addressed, with slightly quivering lips fetched a deep sigh, looked at the God of the day in the skies.

2] Shalya's view

Filled with wrath, I can split the very Earth, scatter the mountains, and dry up the oceans, with my own energy, O king. Knowing me, O monarch, to be so capable, of afflicting the foe, why dost thou appoint me to the office of driver in battle for such a low-born person as Adhiratha's son?

Agriculture and tending of cattle and gift are the occupations of the Vaishyas according to the scriptures. Shudras have been ordained to be the servants of the brahmanas, the kshatriyas, and the vaishyas. Similarly, the Sutas are the servants of kshatriyas, and not latter the servants of the former.

3] Bhishma's view

Thou art alone in holding as true the opinion, O bull of the Bharata race, only three persons, viz., Karna, a low-born Suta's son cursed by Rama, Sakuni, the son of Suvala, and thy mean and sinful brother Dussasana.'

4] Kunti's view

Endued with every virtue, thou art the first of all my relations. Let not the epithet Suta's son attach to thee

As per Bhima, All suta cast society was equal to Dog

When Duryodhana asked shalya to be charioteer of Karna then Shalya insulted Karna. As per shalya, Karna (suta) was lowest born person. As per Shalya, Suta were like sudra means same both were servent of kshtriyas

As per Bhishma, Suta were lowest born people

Kunti also accepted being 'Suta-Putra' was humiliating and insulting

riti4u thumbnail
Originally posted by: SweetRogue

But there wasn't any prohibition for them for learning the use of weaponry as far as I know. Kichaka too, is supposed to be a Suta and he is so powerful in the mastsya kingdom that even the King Virat cannot punish him for his misbehavior. 

They had prohibition in learning use of brahmastra...if we could simplify it wud be higher education in weaponry..  and also just now I was reading online..that Sutaputra is inferior to Suta .and yes as you pointed keechak was only exception being a Suta may be coz he was queen's brother..
riti4u thumbnail
@Priya_Vrisha - very well pointed out mixed castes were looked down upon then..
SweetRogue thumbnail
Originally posted by: adithyan

Then why is Karn insulted repeatedly ?

The insults that I can remember are.

1. Drona's refusal to accept Karna as his student:-
Well, in Vyasa's Mahabharata, Karna was indeed Drona's student up to a certain point. It is only when Karna asks for the Bramhastra and Drona refuses (Drona does use caste as an excuse here. He tells Karna that only a learned Brahmin or Kshatriya can get Bramhastra) he leaves in search of a Guru who will teach him Bramhastra. It depends on personal perspective if this can be percieved as an insult. 
Here is the citation from Debroy's translation, volume 1, page 331:-Other princes also came to Drona, supreme among Bramhanas, to learn the use of arms -the Vrishnis, the Andhakas, Kings from many countries and Radheya, the son of the suta. 

2. The arms exhibition:-
I've already posted the comprehensive citation of the events of the Rangabhoomi or arms exhibition in the Mahabharata thread created by AmritaT. In brief, I would say that the only one who insults Karna in the Rangabhoomi event is Bheema. 

3. Draupadi's rejection (quite an inflammatory topic):-
   The BORI Critical edition of Mahabharata considers this as an interpolations as this incident is quite contradictory to further verses and is  not found in many manuscripts of Mahabharata. Also, when Arjuna asks for permission, Drishtadyumna clearly states that the only condition is the shooting of the target, it does not matter if a Brahmin does it or a Shudra. 

I am not fit to comment on any further insults as I have only finished reading the first volume of Debroy's translation, which consists of the Adi parva of Mahabharata.