In you I see my Hero

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 5 years ago
First of all it has been a long time since I wrote in this forum. It was because I have not been impressed by many to compel me to write.

Karan my most favorite hero in the Mahabharat , lot has been written of him but this is the first time I have come across a take on his personal life. Not sure if Uruvi is a figment of imagination or has some semblance of truth but I liked her characterization so far.

She is bold ,brave, outspoken and seems to know what she wants something every young women aspire to be and this along with Karna the tragic hero seems to have a magic potion of a good story. 
This has inspired me to write again.

I do not know the actress or the actors who play their roles in this show. But as far as I can tell the actress portrays her role well and so does the tragic hero.

Some of the things I liked so far not necessarily in any order.
  • Uruvi the princess who knows what she wants and what she does not. A princess who is an adept charioteer a wonderful connection to the son of a charioteer it would seem
  • Arjun who is her friend and who seems to love her 
  • Karna the hero who is tragic because of his circumstances but holds tall due to his convictions. Loved the lines he used at the competition , our lineage does not make us who we are but our actions so true to this day.
  • A princess who sees her hero in this mysterious man , she seems to see beyond what is portrayed at the man behind the mask.
Closing with a quote
" great heroes need great sorrows and burdens,or half their greatness go unnoticed. It is all part of a fairy tale.
Peter S Beagle , The last Unicorn

Looking forward to watching this fairy tale of a show and hearing thoughts from others.
Welcome to the forum😊
Nice thoughts on show..so far I am liking this show..I have read karna's wife.. and Karn is my favorite πŸ˜³ so looking forward to how they showcase this love saga..😊
Thanks for the welcome. Looking forward to more discussions
Hello and welcome! This is beautifully written! I believe we haven't discussed Uruvi enough but she is a very likable heroine so far. She is strong, capable and feminine. She is brave and beautiful but she isn't arrogant or insolent. She is playful and charming instead. She is also intelligent and aware.
As you said, her best quality is that she knows what she wants and doesn't deceive herself or anyone else. She is completely clear about all the equations in her life. I also like how she is allowed to enjoy luxury, jewellery, femininity without being dumbed down or demonized for it. Every television show has clear cut distinctions for women, even the epic heroines. You are either this or that, you can't be multiple things at once. I like that Uruvi has more than one dimension! She probably is a figment of imagination but it is a lovely imagination indeed!
Thanks for the warm welcome and the lovely response

Originally posted by Fairy_KimBokJoo

Hello and welcome! This is beautifully written! I believe we haven't discussed Uruvi enough but she is a very likable heroine so far. She is strong, capable and feminine. She is brave and beautiful but she isn't arrogant or insolent. She is playful and charming instead. She is also intelligent and aware.
As you said, her best quality is that she knows what she wants and doesn't deceive herself or anyone else. She is completely clear about all the equations in her life. I also like how she is allowed to enjoy luxury, jewellery, femininity without being dumbed down or demonized for it. Every television show has clear cut distinctions for women, even the epic heroines. You are either this or that, you can't be multiple things at once. I like that Uruvi has more than one dimension! She probably is a figment of imagination but it is a lovely imagination indeed!
Hello and welcome to our forum! πŸ€—
Loved reading your thoughts. Hope you will continue. 

The fact that Uruvi knows exactly what she wants is really an aspiring trait to possess as you mentioned. This is what will play into her decision to marry Karn against all the social stigma because she will be clear about what she wants in her life. 

P.S. really like that quote. πŸ˜Š
Edited by ..KarnaKriti.. - 5 years ago
First of all, I am glad you have been gingered up sufficiently to make you post here. This forum needs articulate writers, seeing that  the number of active members seems to be still  quite small. I hope it  increases, and that the TRPs are good,  for 7 pm is not a good timing for a show to  attract a large audience,  which for TV serials is largely feminine. So please hang in here and don't go away!

Next, I am really flattered that you remember me from an earlier forum, and that  you seem to have liked my posts. Where was it? Have you changed your Id in the last couple of years? I am 70,  and my grey cells must be disappearing fast, but if we had been in touch in the past I should have remembered your id.

Now for your comments. I too have always adored Karna, as the most fascinating character in the Mahabharata. And a tragic, doomed characte always has extra appeal! Your closing quotation is perfect for him.

I have not read any of the full translations of the Mahabharata, though I live in Pune, the home of the Bhandarkar Oriental Research Institute,  which has published a highly regarded translation. So, when I read  many very  nasty things about Karna in a couple of threads here - before they were closed by the mods -  all of which were attributed to  full translations by respected sources, I was shocked. I had never seen any such things in any of the brief versions,  by reputed scholars, that I had read.  And I decided not to bother about them, at least for the time being. In case you run into those threads,  I would advise you to do the  same, for your peace of mind!

As for Uruvi, I feel that she does not yet know what she wants. It is more of, as Fairy has noted on another thread, a schoolgirl crush on Karna. Arjun is too familiar a part of her life for her to fall in love with him; love needs a dose of mystery, of things to be discovered, of uncertainty, of hope and fear. With Arjun, there would none of  these! Karna  fulfils all these requirements, and is besides very different from any of the men she has known so far, an added plus!

What she does know is what she will stand up for, her principles. As when she argues with Bhishma against discrimination on the basis of caste. 

Incidentally, the extent of easy intercourse that Uruvi is shown having with Arjun would hardly have been permitted to an high born young woman in those days,  and in fact till the last century. It is decidedly  odd. 

They have not yet filled in Uruvi's connection with Hastinapur either, and  why Kunti says that she is a child of the Hastinapur palace. 

I could write  a page in support of Kunti, who is generally bashed here, but that shall be for another time. My fingers are hurting already - I suffer  from rheumatoid arthritis, and that often makes typing very difficult. 

Anyhow, the show is promising right now, though many such serials belie their early promise all too soon. I wish that this one proves to be the exception that proves the rule!

Shyamala Aunty

Originally posted by gemini54

First of all it has been a long time since I wrote in this forum. It was because I have not been impressed by many to compel me to write.

Karan my most favorite hero in the Mahabharat , lot has been written of him but this is the first time I have come across a take on his personal life. Not sure if Uruvi is a figment of imagination or has some semblance of truth but I liked her characterization so far.

She is bold ,brave, outspoken and seems to know what she wants something every young women aspire to be and this along with Karna the tragic hero seems to have a magic potion of a good story. 

I do not know the actress or the actors who play their roles in this show. But as far as I can tell the actress portrays her role well and so does the tragic hero.

• Uruvi the princess who knows what she wants and what she does not. A princess who is an adept charioteer a wonderful connection to the son of a charioteer it would seem
  • Karna the hero who is tragic because of his circumstances but holds tall due to his convictions. Loved the lines he used at the competition , our lineage does not make us who we are but our actions so true to this day.
  • A princess who sees her hero in this mysterious man , she seems to see beyond what is portrayed at the man behind the mask.
Closing with a quote
" great heroes need great sorrows and burdens,or half their greatness go unnoticed. It is all part of a fairy tale.

Looking forward to watching this fairy tale of a show and hearing thoughts from others.
Edited by sashashyam - 5 years ago
😊Thanks a lot aunty. I don't know much about Trp but do know another show which I was watching got botched and shut down abruptly because of Trp

QUOTE=sashashyam]
First of all, I am glad you have been gingered up sufficiently to make you post here. This forum needs articulate writers, seeing that  the number of active members seems to be still  quite small. I hope it  increases, and that the TRPs are good,  for 7 pm is not a good timing for a show to  attract a large audience,  which for TV serials is largely feminine. So please hang in here and don't goWe away!

Next, I am really flattered that you remember me from an earlier forum, and that  you seem to have liked my posts. Where was it? Have you changed your Id in the last couple of years? I am 70,  and my grey cells must be disappearing fast, but if we had been in touch in the past I should have remembered your id.

😊 No I did not change my ID we met at another forum chandra Nandhini though I did not write for it or watch it after a few episodes had the fortune of reading your fantastic writing and thoughts and am your fanπŸ˜ƒ

Now for your comments. I too have always adored Karna, as the most fascinating character in the Mahabharata. And a tragic, doomed characte always has extra appeal! Your closing quotation is perfect for him.

Thanks he is my favorite too.

I have not read any of the full translations of the Mahabharata, though I live in Pune, the home of the Bhandarkar Oriental Research Institute,  which has published a highly regarded translation. So, when I read  many very  nasty things about Karna in a couple of threads here - before they were closed by the mods -  all of which were attributed to  full translations by respected sources, I was shocked. I had never seen any such things in any of the brief versions,  by reputed scholars, that I had read.  And I decided not to bother about them, at least for the time being. In case you run into those threads,  I would advise you to do the  same, for your peace of mind!

😲 Thanks for the warning .

As for Uruvi, I feel that she does not yet know what she wants. It is more of, as Fairy has noted on another thread, a schoolgirl crush on Karna. Arjun is too familiar a part of her life for her to fall in love with him; love needs a dose of mystery, of things to be discovered, of uncertainty, of hope and fear. With Arjun, there would none of  these! Karna  fulfils all these requirements, and is besides very different from any of the men she has known so far, an added plus!

What she does know is what she will stand up for, her principles. As when she argues with Bhishma against discrimination on the basis of caste. 

Incidentally, the extent of easy intercourse that Uruvi is shown having with Arjun would hardly have been permitted to an high born young woman in those days,  and in fact till the last century. It is decidedly  odd. 

They have not yet filled in Uruvi's connection with Hastinapur either, and  why Kunti says that she is a child of the Hastinapur palace. 

πŸ˜› Yes you are absolutely right about it. They have superimposed the modern girl with a character of yore but I am going to chalk it to creative liberty and glorification of their heroine and ignore it for now until it becomes gratingly irritating.

I could write  a page in support of Kunti, who is generally bashed here, but that shall be for another time. My fingers are hurting already - I suffer  from rheumatoid arthritis, and that often makes typing very difficult. 

😭So sorry to hear about your RA hope you feel better and continue to write your wonderful pieces.

Btw my name is Sabita and I live in the US

Anyhow, the show is promising right now, though many such serials belie their early promise all too soon. I wish that this one proves to be the exception that proves the rule!

Shyamala Aunty

Originally posted by gemini54

Closing with a quote

[/QUOTE]