Poll Question :

Have you faced any harrasment?#MeToo

Poll Choice
Yes
No
Login To Vote
Posted: 5 years ago
Originally posted by Luna46

Yawn!!! Stop crying over your miserable lives and take some action against those perverts if you really care. Otherwise this rona dhona is just futile.

Yawn!!! Then don't come on threads & whine about how miserable people & their lives are because it shows yours must be he most miserable since you possess this perverse thinking!! Talking is cathartic & owning up to these experiences makes you feel empowered. BYE.
Originally posted by Basilisk

What the heck?!?! It's better to not have such friends then! I'm so appalled! People you expect to be your support system dish out such shit to you...it's just disgusting to hear that.

Yep. She likened molestation to physical attractiveness & the funniest bit was she was very unattractive herself. She's a complete psycho. Too manny stories about her. I dropped her like a hot potato after this though it took time.
This is really sad and I hope you guys are all okay. One of the most horrifying experiences I felt was in a flight. I was travelling alone for the first time. I got a aisle seat next to an older person, almost of my dad's age. That kind of made me trust him and when he started talking to me I reciprocated. He told me he was a Scientist and I started asking him questions about his research field. Eventually he asked me for my mobile number. I was uncomfortable about sharing my number and I lied to him saying I don't have whatsapp. He then criticized my parents for being too controlling. I was going to my Maasi's place in Bombay. He asked if anyone would be waiting for me at the airport. I told him my Uncle was, and he told me I should ditch my family one day and that he will show me around. I politely declined. 
Then it got worse. I was complaining that my seat was not reclining enough and he just reached across me to help me push the button. His forearm was pressed against my chest. I froze. Then afterwards, he offered to share a blanket together. I denied again. And then he went to sleep. But his hand kept pressing his hand against my thigh. I kept inching away and his hand continued. Eventually I stood up and started reading because I couldn't take it. An air hostess came and asked me if I am okay and made me sit down and thankfully he kept his hand to himself for the remaining 5 minutes of the flight.

I was 17 when this happened. I didnt respond because I didn't know if I was imagining things or he really had bad intentions. Even today, I don't know because when I told my mom and my grandma this they told me I probably imagined it and mistook the nice uncle's intentions to be something else. Even now, I can't respond when people harass me on public transport because I don't even know what is harrassment anymore. I was made to believe the fault lay in my thinking, not in the actions of that guy.

I really feel a sense of catharsis typing this post. Because after the response from my family I haven't told anyone about this. I feel a lot of shame associated with it but I also feel guilty because I don't know if I am justified in feeling shame. Am I doing it to play the victim card when I know people have gone through much worse? I don't know anymore. I am sorry if I talked way too much I am legit trembling a bit. I am sorry if I come off as overdramatic! 
Yes ...Twice in my life :(  
#Me too
My warmest hugs and salute to everyone who have shared their experiences here. To me punishment is really secondary cos even the worst punishment cannot bring back the person u were before. The most impt thing is to speak up and let it go from the heart. So hats off to everyone who have shared their experiences thus far. Whether your perpetrator gets punishment here or in hell, I can't gurantee, what's more impt is that u guys are much stronger now that you are able to prevent similar happenings in future(I hope so).

I think I'm extremely fortunate that I was born and bred in a country like Singapore. Not that harassment doesn't happen here, but they much much lesser in comparison(strict rules) and even more less in my community. I have been blessed with decent men in my whole family, so I guess I never will know what it is to feel like being sexually harassed.
Yup.  
One time by my math tuition teacher.  Didn't go back to him after that one single episode.   Told my mom about it and quit immediately.  

Was almost kissed by some mawali on the road (he held my face with his hands and was just about to kiss) but I screamed so loudly that he ran away.  

When I was working in Delhi, there was this attorney in my office who would talk about his sex life and sex positions with his wife.  I would feel very awkward and wouldn't understand what to do.  At that time I was very young, still in college, and didn't realize that this was abuse too.   It was only much later I realized what the guy was upto.  He never touched me or suggest anything otherwise, but it was this constant talk about him and his wife getting on.  

Gazillion times...mostly on the roads and in public transport.  After a couple of years, I became a pro and prided myself in being able to successfully evade these gropers on the roads

I started walking on the opposite side of the road where I could see the incoming traffic.  That way I would minimize someone creeping up from behind me.

You know when a woman looks at a man, she can tell what he is gonna do.  I could easily figure out which of the guys who is coming towards me is gonna misbehave.   Earlier, when I would come across such folks, I would cross over to the other side of the road, but the guy would cross too.  My technique  (yeah I know, had to come up with strategies!  🥱)   finally was to wait until the last minute and just as we are almost face to face, I would immediately cross the road.   Worked most of the times.

Its common when you travel in public transport. Ive had people groping my butt many times. By the time you realise what happened that person is gone. Makes me so angry that I couldnt do anything about it.
It is so disheartening to read all these stories. Eve teasing and inappropriate touches while walking on roads are such a common thing in India that every single woman probably faces it atleast once in her lifetime.

As I read through pages, various such incidences (minor though, thankfully) right from my childhood flashed through my mind, and I thought I would share them here because I may not do it ever again. They are things of the past.

As a 8-9 year old kid I was traveling on a train with my family, and there was that middle aged man on adjacent sit who started touching my clothes and my body inappropriately. I only remember feeling uncomfortable at his gestures and expressing my displeasure to him.

In my neighborhood there were 5-6 families close to each other, with kids of same age, boys as well as girls. We used to play together often. There was a boy among them, just a couple of years older to me, who once or twice tried to rub his body against mine or fall upon me, pretending as if it was an accident while we were playing badminton. It was shocking considering we used to address him as 'bhaiyya'. I stopped playing with him after that especially when no elders were around and always made sure I kept an eye on him while he played with my younger sister and her friend.

I went to a small town engineering college in late 90s, we girls were significantly minority community in the college and teasing by fellow male students was a very very common thing on campus. Also, that was the time when I used to travel alone a lot, between hostel and home. While inappropriate touches by fellow passengers are common, I remember one particular incident where a boy of same age as mine tried to touch my hand and shoulders from behind, and I made him get down from the bus immediately by narrating the incident to the bus conductor. I even remember using safety pin as a tool a couple of times 😆

But I have to say I have a really pleasant experience of workplace. In the last many years that I have been working, I haven't experienced any single incidence of subtle/serious harassment myself or with my female colleagues. Either I am extremely lucky in that aspect or the corporate world is comparatively a much safer place for women.
Originally posted by Twisterfry

This is really sad and I hope you guys are all okay. One of the most horrifying experiences I felt was in a flight. I was travelling alone for the first time. I got a aisle seat next to an older person, almost of my dad's age. That kind of made me trust him and when he started talking to me I reciprocated. He told me he was a Scientist and I started asking him questions about his research field. Eventually he asked me for my mobile number. I was uncomfortable about sharing my number and I lied to him saying I don't have whatsapp. He then criticized my parents for being too controlling. I was going to my Maasi's place in Bombay. He asked if anyone would be waiting for me at the airport. I told him my Uncle was, and he told me I should ditch my family one day and that he will show me around. I politely declined. 
Then it got worse. I was complaining that my seat was not reclining enough and he just reached across me to help me push the button. His forearm was pressed against my chest. I froze. Then afterwards, he offered to share a blanket together. I denied again. And then he went to sleep. But his hand kept pressing his hand against my thigh. I kept inching away and his hand continued. Eventually I stood up and started reading because I couldn't take it. An air hostess came and asked me if I am okay and made me sit down and thankfully he kept his hand to himself for the remaining 5 minutes of the flight.

I was 17 when this happened. I didnt respond because I didn't know if I was imagining things or he really had bad intentions. Even today, I don't know because when I told my mom and my grandma this they told me I probably imagined it and mistook the nice uncle's intentions to be something else. Even now, I can't respond when people harass me on public transport because I don't even know what is harrassment anymore. I was made to believe the fault lay in my thinking, not in the actions of that guy.

I really feel a sense of catharsis typing this post. Because after the response from my family I haven't told anyone about this. I feel a lot of shame associated with it but I also feel guilty because I don't know if I am justified in feeling shame. Am I doing it to play the victim card when I know people have gone through much worse? I don't know anymore. I am sorry if I talked way too much I am legit trembling a bit. I am sorry if I come off as overdramatic! 

I am so sorry this happened with you. Your incident made me remember something that I thought had forgotten. It was really a minor incident, but I kind of understand your confusion over whether he was really a creep, or you just imagined all of it. I remember when I was around 7 or 8 I was travelling with my Dad in a train which had a group of young, college going boys. Some of them came up to my Dad and chatted with him. I was sitting in front of my Dad's lap, and one of them was sitting right across me. He and my Dad were talking about some travelling spots when suddenly I felt his hands on my hands in a very discreet manner. I was looking down and not involved in the conversation but his touch made me look up and the look I saw in his eyes terrifies me even now as I recall it. I swear on my most beloved things that it wasn't a normal look. His face had a very weird smile on it. He kept looking at me and positioned his hands on my hands in a way in which my Dad wouldn't be able to see and continued staring with that particular look on his face. I remember feeling so odd and confused because as a 6 or 7 year old I still wasn't really taught about these things and I couldn't understand why I felt so odd at a mere touch from this stranger - something I had never felt before when others touched me. In that moment I just looked at him, gave him a smile in return for his weird smile as his fingers were interlaced with mine, and crept up into my Dad's lap to stay avoid being touched again. I have never told this incident to anyone as I am aware that it is a minor one and nothing really happened. In fact as I said I had forgotten about it till I read your post, but I am still as confused as I was that day as a little girl as to whether he really was a creep, or he was just a overly friendly person. But it is also true that I felt very very odd even when I knew nothing with regards to a good touch or a bad touch. 
My freind did from an old man... Old mens are the worse!