Tujhse Hai Raabta

Why Indian television don't create sensible shows

Demigoddess thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 5 years ago
Hello everyone,
I just love the concept of this show, and the way this show is moving forward. The pace, the controlled acting and the script etc.
But still I see not many people are active on the forum, discussing it. Where was other serials where stories are dragged for month and a single suspense revelation take place min 1week to take place are loved. 
I believe Indians just love saas bahu ka natak, they love when the Male main lead roam around in a towel displaying his body.
And then Indians complain how serials made outside India are so fast paced and sensible and how Indian television serials are not worth watch.
It's not that producers don't want to make serials like tujhse hai raabta but I think it's more like they are helpless, it's all about trp and these serials often fail to get the desired trp to run them.
I only hope that this wonderful serial do not end up meeting the same faith like many sensible serial had met in the past.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

altgr thumbnail
Thanks for this post. I totally agree. This is such a good show with some great actors. I am just loving the show. Not sure about this new track, I hope it's handled well too. Don't know why there are not many people coming in this forum. Even show's TRP dropped in 2nd week after taking a very good start. People should support good shows.
velvetscarf thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 3
I am liking this show as well.
Mainly watched because my mother told me here's a good story and I started watching when I could. There is far too much rubbish going on currently.

Mahi_Devil thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
I agree with you, but the responsibility also lies with the show creators to at least not insult the intelligence of the audience. I agree they prolong shows because they fetch money, but that's how the indian show system has been built. It is hard to move away from its original concept. Tujhse hai raabta has a good set of actors, better than average ones in other serials, but they are largely unknown. I don't know what are the ratings of THR have been till date but I hope the shows sustains and finds its audience.
Furthermore, I believe that fast paced or well acted shows will find their audience because we have an example of Pakistani shows which successfully aired on Zindagi. They found their audience among those who watch shows like nagin (nothing against them). So i think if shows are based on a bigger concept with good production values, they can in fact sustain, but they would have to be of limited episodes or seasons.
nuomi.riceball thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Saas bahu saazis tracks aur kahani are more acceptable to the indian's audience because the audience mostly consisted of not working saas bahu who has all the time in the world to watch daily soap. It is because they can relate with it and it becomes their escapism.
Nush_Rat thumbnail
Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 7
I think more than the audience, the creators are at fault here.

I had read some articles about a few shows that were on air in the 90's & were hugely popular like Kora Kagaz, Haasratein & all. Sorry I can't remember all of the names right now.

I read Haasratein was based on EMA but was dealt with sensitivity that people liked it also. But in 2018 we get shows like Silsila & Bepannah where EMA is termed as PAAK & everything.

I guess once all the K-series hit the TV & ran for years, makers took it as standards that their shows also  have to run for years. Yes, it's their occupation & a lot of things work behind the camera. But if that's so, why are Pakistani shows & Asian shows are finite? And these shows are actually much better in content & intriguing & hugely popular.

Nowadays, people who have access to internet, are turning to Digital & this only makes sense. Those who still sit with family, I feel they just switch channels & watch whatever they find worth their time. And unfortunately, all the saas-bahu series comes on prime time, so get better TRP & after a certain time, sensible shows also introduce these cheap tracks & lose their loyal viewers.

Any show, no matter what their plot is, reach their saturation point after a certain time. And that's the time when they should go off-air so the viewers can cherish its' memories. I think 150 episodes or maximum 200 episodes are enough to build up a story & give it a proper ending. But in most cases makers stretch their stories & make a shit of their own creation.

Another thing I find prevalent in ITV is that nowadays makers don't really care about their own stories. Its never possible to make every viewer happy. Some prefer happy ending no matter how unrealistic that is while some prefer realistic ending. A writer should stay true to his own vision. But here writers just throw a random situation & instead of developing it, give it a crappy ending.

I don't think audiences are so biased or idiotic that they won't be able to enjoy a good show if it's dealt with sensitivity.

nuomi.riceball thumbnail
The creators and the writers especially can have a very good content and story but eventually for the show to continue going it will be up to the rating and how much the show is making money. I mean if it has good contents but it's not popular still it will go off air. 
The reason why there are so many saas bahu series that is very successful in television industry is because it has made a place in the hearts of the viewers who tunes in night after night and bringing the big bucks to the television industry. And eventually they are running the business not about the passion that keeps the show going. 

With the K-ekta series that are running for a very long time. I think it happens everywhere in television industry everywhere not just India. As long as they are giving the big bucks, bringing the advertisement, holding up with the trp they will continue to be renewed. Like for example in the american television series like Grey's anatomy is running its season 15 now. That's because they are bringing ABC and Disney USD 3 billion dollars every year. If they are not bringing the ratings and the money to the channels and the producers they will not be renewed every year.
paulomi_taAnu thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
I agree with this! I watch a show when it has a different concept but unfortunately all those shows end very soon as the channel pull them off due to no TRP! I hate Indian TRP system because it doesn't even spare the supposedly finite shows.
There were shows like Meri awaaz hi pehchaan hai, Ajeeb dastaan hai yeh with fantastic story and cast. The former being a finite show was pulled off prematurely because it fared no desired TRP to the channel.

Experiences like this make me wonder what Indian channels and audience expect from television. I just wish Tujhse hai raabta does not become a victim to these tactics and be a little fortunate in terms of TRP so that the story can be explored well!
Nush_Rat thumbnail
Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 7
Originally posted by: rogna

The creators and the writers especially can have a very good content and story but eventually for the show to continue going it will be up to the rating and how much the show is making money. I mean if it has good contents but it's not popular still it will go off air.

The reason why there are so many saas bahu series that is very successful in television industry is because it has made a place in the hearts of the viewers who tunes in night after night and bringing the big bucks to the television industry. And eventually they are running the business not about the passion that keeps the show going. 

With the K-ekta series that are running for a very long time. I think it happens everywhere in television industry everywhere not just India. As long as they are giving the big bucks, bringing the advertisement, holding up with the trp they will continue to be renewed. Like for example in the american television series like Grey's anatomy is running its season 15 now. That's because they are bringing ABC and Disney USD 3 billion dollars every year. If they are not bringing the ratings and the money to the channels and the producers they will not be renewed every year.

@Bold True indeed.

But I think time is changing & most of the makers are not capable enough to change themselves with time.

Definitely, it's business & they have to thrive. But in recent times I have seen some shows actually got recognition due to their different plot & actually started losing viewership when they introduced saas-bahu saga.

I myself am a big fan of Grey's Anatomy & frankly, it's the only show that I find worth prolonging because they had never set a benchmark or anything. They started with a young doctor who had a troubled childhood & kept developing the story. As a viewer we were happy to see her journey first as a GF, then a wife, now as a mother & also how amazingly professional she is. The best part I find is that it has an ensemble cast - each of whom brings a different aspect to the storyline.

And Shoda Rhimes has been accused by the FD countless times for not giving them exactly what they wanted. But she has always been firm on what she wants to show - which is shit happens.

If we actually look at ITV, if the creator wants & has belief on his/her vision he/she can pull it off. Some stories are focused on a single plot. So they better end it on a happy note. Some stories are multidimensional - so those can go on forever.

Ekta being the queen of ITV, at present only YHM & KB/KKB is selling. That too because they started with something different & earned a loyal FD. Otherwise all her recent shows have tanked.

If people were still into saas-bahu, no way KZK 2's TRP would be less compared to expectation.

So it's on makers that they accept this change & instead of making a khichdi, focus on the story.

And yes, there are shows which are good but can't attract viewers. It's not unusual in American shows also. So, they can definitely make season based shows which is now trending in digital. By that way good shows would definitely come back.

More than blaming it all on audiences that they are stuck in saas-bahu, creators should accept that it's them who can't write anything out of saas-bahu.
nuomi.riceball thumbnail
Yes, I do agree with you. What I am trying to say is at the end of the day it will be up to the TRP whether the channel will be interested enough to maintain and renew the show. It doens't matter to anything else whether it has good script, interesting concept or dynamic cast ensemble. It is up to the TRP whether it is ITV or anywhere else in the world. Eventually it is up to the viewers to maintain or not to maintain.