KarnSangini

What JK Rowling has to say / What Vyasa might have said

HearMeRoar thumbnail
Posted: 5 years ago

Weeks after Harry Potter fans were told a new Draco Malfoy story would appear online, JK Rowling has finally delivered the goods: and with it, her own thoughts about Harry's Hogwarts enemy.

The revelations come in the longest new piece of writing by Rowlingto appear on the Potter publishing website, Pottermore, in months. Rowling admits that although she pities Draco, she finds the fact that female fans adore the villainous character troubling.

Rowling writes: "I have often had cause to remark on how unnerved I have been by the number of girls who fell for this particular fictional character."

She goes on to praise Tom Felton, who plays Draco in the eight Harry Potter films, and has attracted a wide fan base: "Although I do not discount the appeal of Tom Felton, who plays Draco brilliantly in the films and, ironically, is about the nicest person you could meet."

Rowling explains that although "girls are very apt to romanticise" the "dark glamour of the anti-hero", she writes that she has had to tell fans, "rather severely, that Draco was not concealing a heart of gold under all that sneering and prejudice and that no, he and Harry were not destined to end up best friends."

Draco's wand, however, with a core of unicorn, hints to the potential for good. "This was symbolic", Rowling writes, of some "unextinguished good at the heart of Draco" - although she stresses the risk of "re-kindling unhealthy fantasies".

Friendship and even relationships between Draco and Harry have long been currency in the world of Harry Potter fanfiction and 'shipping', the practice of imagining relationships between fictional characters online.

On Facebook, Draco Malfoy has a number of dedicated fan pages, includingDraco Malfoy Lovers, which has 1421 members.