Silsila Badalte Rishton Ka

What does Nandini want?? - Page 5

Jiggy7 thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 5 years ago
First, please don't curse at random posters on the internet. Second, don't make assumptions about whether or not I know the definition of patriarchy; after all, we are two strangers making a point. By the way, if you want to have a discussion about patriarchal systems. Wonderful. Let me begin with where my studies of patriarchy began--with Gerda Lerner's The Creation of Patriarchy. If you would like to have this discussion, let's do so constructively on another post.
In THIS post, I stand by my point: I do not see the hand of patriarchy behind Nandani's decision to boink her best friend's husband๐Ÿ˜† I see Nandani as a full woman, just like a man, capable of good and bad deeds; she does not get a pass for engaging in an EMA because supposedly she is a woman who has historically faced untoward behaviors such as not getting to express herself in her home and developing low self esteem as a result๐Ÿ˜ญ Once again, what does this have to do with patriarchy, systems that subjugate women and privilege men? It just sounds like she had parents who wanted quiet children. By the way, girls only express themselves at home? They don't talk in school? Not with each other? Why privilege parent's attitudes while ignoring other outlets? Because it suits the nice little argument about that darn patriarchy. It's the patriarchy that made Nandu do it! I't's because she has low self-esteem!  
It's not because she's a selfish, self-centered user with no moral compass; it's because the patriarchal system in place will not WELCOME HER DECISION to be a cheater๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†
Listen, did  you consider what the example you gave in your post? You claim under Indian law (actually it's very much English law) defines a wife as a husband's property; as such he must consent to his wife sleeping with another. Patriarchal indeed; But did you ever stop to consider the root of such a law? It's rooted in the law of coverture, darling. It meant that a wife is entitled to the protection of her husband. She was granted at lease one third of their property upon his death. In his lifetime, he was responsible for every mistake she made. He was responsible for her debts. If she slandered someone he was sued. You get the drift. There is something other than "patriarchy" at play
Now back to your innane example. Yes, the husband has to consent to his wife having sex with another man. But tell me something: under which Indian law is Nandani going to be charged with  adultery? Is it not just Kunal who can be charged with a crime for sleeping with another woman who is not his wife? But here we have two married people, one man and one woman, who have had sex outside of marriage, YET only the man can face criminal prosecution. 
Please tell me, how do you define this?

And actually another very interested question has formed from your example. You state a husband must give his consent for his wife to have sex with another man. I assume Rajdeep didn't consent right? So clearly, there are examples of what could occur and what does occur. But I am curious: who would be legally and financially responsible if Nandani gets pregnant with Kunal's child? Kunal or Rajdeep? In fact, it's Rajdeep. She's still married. His name goes on the birth certificate. 
Tell me, how do you define this?

Yup adultery law favours woman to counter their subjugation in society.. Both have committed same crime but only Kunal will be punishable under law..
And you presented an interesting scenario.. Rajdeep responsible for KN's child??? ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†
Bhagwan kisi bache ko itna bura bhavisya na de.. Hormonal immoral parents added with an abusive father figure.. ๐Ÿ˜ญ

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Pani.Puri thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail

@Rosh4rose & others who have written thesis here - I respect your opinion. Firstly there is no need to bring history, geography, patriarchy, monarchy etc etc. into picture bcz it has nothing to do here.

Secondly, every coin has 2 sides. Like in some cases of domestic violence women's are actully the victim but in some cases women's are not the victim , instead they are the one who have filed false domestic violence case to torture husband and her in-laws (we all must be aware of this). Same is the case of EMA where its not everytime men at fault. Women's are no less. They also indulge in EMA but its just that law punishes only men.. Although ppl shame both of them by talking about  them, and not only the men. EMA is basically sexual reltaionship occuring out of marriage and in such reltaionship both parties have given their consent for sex. 

Yes Kunal is no doubt at fault but that doesnt minimises the fault or blame on Nandini. As I said earlier she neither felt guilty nor she even made an attempt to talk to Kunal and insist him to tell the truth to his wife Mauli , nor did she made an attempt to tell herself to Mauli that she indulged in EMA with her hubby & I am feeling guilty for it. So if Kunal is at fult then so is Nandini. So stop making her look like victim and Kunal as villain when both the parties were villain.

Yes Kunal promised or whatever to never leave Mauli or stop loving her and still fell for Nandini so he is at fault. But that doesnt mean that all fault is of Kunal. Nandini could have told Mauli the truth afterwrds but she dint do that instaed she went ahead to meet Kunal. Nandini could have outrightly rejected Kunal's every call and meeting him but she never did that. Kunal dint wanted Nandini to leave city or something like that, right??? So Nandini  without telling anyone could have left the town at such a time when Kunal is busy so that he wont stop her etc etc.. There are thousnd ways to let your friend be happy in her marriage and she could have done any 1 way but she dint do anything so ppl should really stop putting all blame on kunal BCZ BOTH KUNAL & NANDINI ARE EQUALLY AT FAULT 

Sudharies thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Micro Phobia Contest Participant 0 Thumbnail + 8
This content was originally posted by: Sabyata

One humble request --
Please don't quote  too many posts
it is hard to read n scroll

I totally second this, 
Guys don't quote more than two or three posts together. 
People like me come more to read the discussions more than for following the show. So don't make it hard for us ๐Ÿ˜†
Kiransgirl:
Yous seem to have a very shallow understanding of patriarchy. 

NOBODY is justifying Nandini's actions. What she did is deplorable. However, her patriarchal upbringing definitely plays a part in the decisions she makes.

She was brought up in a way where she was conditioned to consider men as superior. She continued to behave in that fashion with her husband Rajdeep, trying to please him however she could.

She believes that validation from a man is everything. Therefore, she was floored when a man, Kunal, gave her attention. If that isn't patriarchy, then what is?

That, however, does NOT mean that her actions are excusable. Please try to get the idea. 
g.sreedurga thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: evenjleena28

It appears that few people are misunderstanding my point - patriarchy is not something that makes anyone cheat, but here and in particular nandini's case her upbringing is responsible for this disaster. We all know she has cheated, who is disputing that?

That's the whole debate!! We agree Nandini suffered from patriarchy. But how's patriarchy responsible for EMA? It might still be slightly responsible for developing liking towards Kunal. But having EMA? How's that related to patriarchy? She crossed all the limits. She crossed the limit where patriarchy or abuse victim were legitimate explanations to the character!

To say her family wanted a quiet child is illogical. That upbringing made her what she was, allowing a man to take charge. First it was daddy dearest, then Rajdeep, and now finally kunal. Dad didn't speak to her unless he wanted something - how will that make anyone confident about themselves? Yes we all get to speak at school, but how many of those kids excel? Here Nandini went to school and followed Mauli again a strong person. Does anyone know what she wants? Many will say kunal which at this point is sure looking like that then why be upset if Mauli found out? She got what she wanted so why not be happy and party?

I don't think Nandini is confident and that's because of her upbringing to a great extent. Nothing to argue there. I agree. It's high time she learns from Mauli.

Her husband dictated her married life, who helped her? Mauli. Then kunal baddgered her until she gave in. A strong, independent woman, who is not bound by a male privileged mindset will slap him and move on like Mauli did to Rajdeep but what did Nandini do? She took his hand and came back. How can you not see that? 

How? She didn't want to hold his hand and came only because of Kunal? It wasn't her voluntary decision? In this scenario, It's not about the confidence of woman. It's about her character. Go to some backward village and regressive people who hide behind their husbands, let some married man propose them and see how they'll react. But she was happy instead. Nandini got enlightened by baba that she was loving Kunal. That's the thing that sowed her feelings and she crossed all her limits.

You guys keep saying she is enjoying sex, hugs, and coy looks? Why shouldn't she? As far as she is concerned kunal has it figured it out. We know he is an idiot but to her he is not. She is of course responsible for her actions but her actions manifest from her childhood which was highly regressive. I don't know her education level but I doubt she has a degree, she latches on to people. 

Why shouldn't she? Because that's illegitimate. Immoral. Betrayal. Kunal figured it out? That's enough? What about Mauli? Nandini was unaware of her? No, she 'choose' to ignore her for her so called jazbaat. And regressive? No woman with regressive mindset would ever do this to any other woman, leave alone her best friend. The reaction she gave when she realized her so called love, crying on the floor that thinking like this is a sin - that's how a typical woman will react. It's in sync with what you told. But from the moment she voluntarily jumped into affair, the reason can be anything but regressive mindset. Don't bring education into this. Having a character isn't a part of education. Even my great grandmother who was confined to kitchen only knows that having sex with married man is the worst thing one can do.

Normal person when caught in an affair will worry but here she says I cannot live without either!!!!! Does that sound normal to anyone? Would a strong woman say that?

Why are we confusing between strong and weak woman, charactered and characterless woman? She's saying she needs both. Is Mauli a doll or what? That's Nandini's selfishness and characterlessness. Not just a strong woman, even a weak woman with character wouldn't say that ever! Pushing her behind oppressed woman veil for everything she does just because she keeps an innocent face and sheds tears is so not done! No oppressed woman with minimum morals would ever, ever do this!

It's easy to say it has got nothing to do with her background, finding cure is useless unless disease is figured out. Someone says that the law talks about woman being man's property - that's a joke right? And if it's an old English law, well Britain has certainly changed their stance, guess no one gave India the memo.

At the end of the day we are not going to agree, which is fine. I usually don't engage with people who call others name, but I guess this is an exception. It's pitiful that to support once stance, means demeaning other and calling names to a fictional character- I have better things to do than engage with pseudo strong women. I will not engage anymore when a fictional character is called names - regardless of what she has done or not. My mistake that I thought that I will have an intelligent debate instead of this tripe.
How can you not engage with your own self?

SASSZS thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Probably had enough of sleeping with Rajdeep so she went after Kunal. Cheap s**t who loves to have sex but pretend not to like it when Rajdeep asks for it.
kiransgirl thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: krystal_watz

Kiransgirl:

Yous seem to have a very shallow understanding of patriarchy. 

NOBODY is justifying Nandini's actions. What she did is deplorable. However, her patriarchal upbringing definitely plays a part in the decisions she makes.

She was brought up in a way where she was conditioned to consider men as superior. She continued to behave in that fashion with her husband Rajdeep, trying to please him however she could.

She believes that validation from a man is everything. Therefore, she was floored when a man, Kunal, gave her attention. If that isn't patriarchy, then what is?

That, however, does NOT mean that her actions are excusable. Please try to get the idea. 

madam, it is unwise to tell a perfect stranger they have a shallow understanding of patriarchy. My point stands. In fact, I am responding to posters who have in fact offered a justification for Nandani's heinous deeds as a result of patriarchy. It is not. 
 Your quote: "She believes that validation from a man is everything. Therefore, she was floored when a man, Kunal, gave her attention. If that isn't patriarchy, then what is?" This is NOT the definition of patriarchy.๐Ÿ˜•
It may be as one of the posters claimed low self esteem; however, why do you attribute this to patriarchy? Are there no other reasons you can think of for a woman to have low self-esteem? 
People need to stop making excuses and take responsibility for their actions.
I am an educator๐Ÿ˜Š so let me help you craft a thoughtful argument: you are in better shape if perhaps you consider that Nandani's actions are a result of the domestic abuse she suffered. While I don't agree nor do I believe it. I will point you in a better direction but please, stop justifying an EMA as a result of patriarchy. Yes, I know you claim you are not doing this; actually that's pretty SHALLOW,๐Ÿ˜‰ the post reeks of justification

Edited by kiransgirl - 5 years ago