Members Lounge

It's raining drops of colours: Holi Celebration

Life_Is_Dutiful thumbnail
Posted: 6 years ago

Holi is one of the most loved festivals of India. It was originally known as'Holika'. It also used to be called'Vasant Mahotsava' and 'Karma Mahotsava' because of the arrival of the spring season.  A detailed description of the festival is found in early religious works like Jaimini's Purvamimamsa-Sutras and Kathaka-Grhya-Sutras.  It is said that Holi existed several centuries before Christ. However, the meaning of the festival is believed to have changed over the years. Earlier it was a special rite performed by married women for the happiness and well-being of their families. The full moon (Raka) was also worshipped on this day.

Origin of the festival 

In eastern parts of India like West Bengal and Odisha, Holi is celebrated as the birthday of Shri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu. However, there are various legends associated with the festival.

The Legend of Demon King Hiranyakashyap and his devotee son Prahlad

There was a powerful demon king called Hiranyakashyap who had become indestructible due to a boon given by Lord Brahma Hiranyakashyap considered himself a God and demanded everyone to worship him. His son, Prahlad was a staunch devotee of Lord Vishnu and refused to worship him. As a result, Hiranyakashyap asked his sister Holika to burn Prahlad to death. Holika had received a boon that made her immune to fire. She sat on a pyre with Prahlad on her lap, hoping that her nephew will be burnt to death. Instead Prahlad's devotion to Vishnu saved him and Holika was burnt to death. Thus the'Holika Dahan' is a reminder of Triumph of Good over Evil and Self Destruction due to Misuse of boon.

Radha-Krishna's Raasleela

Another legend states that Lord Krishna popularized the tradition of Holi. Krishna once asked his mother Yashoda why is he so dark and Radha so fair. His mother, tired of his desperation, asks him to color Radha's face with whichever color he liked. This playful coloring of Radha's face has been commemorated as Holi. This festival also celebrates the immortal love of Radha and Krishna.

The Return of God of Love

Lord Indra approaches Kamadev, the God of Love to  break Lord Shiva's meditation and make him fall in love with Goddess Parvati. Kamadeva shoots a flower arrow to awaken him. Shiva becomes furious and opens his third eye, thereby burning Kamadev to death. Kamadev's wife Rati starts meditating for 40 days. Lord Shiva forgives Kamadev and restores him. This return of Kamadev is celebrated on the 40th day after Vasant Panchami as Holi. The Kamadev legend and its significance has variant forms in South India.

On the eve of Holi, in the evening, people light a bonfire signifying the Holika Dahan. People gather around the fire and sing and dance.

On the day of Holi, people apply colors on each other and celebrate the festival with fun and frolic.

After the day of play with colors, people clean up and in the evening, visit their friends and relatives and greet them by exchanging sweets.

We, the Crazy Creatives, wish you all a very Happy Holi. 

Edited by -Tulips- - 6 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

melodyofflowers thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7

Every color has it's own significance. They influence our moods and also reveal our personality.

On the occasion of Holi, we, the C r a z y C r e a t i v e s have framed a simple color quiz for all of you! Answer all the questions and let us know what color are you.     

1. How do you feel when you go out?
 A/ I feel pure and fresh 
B/ My mind feels calm
C/ I feel more excited and enthusiastic
D/ I sometimes feel sad and lonely 

2. How do you feel when you do new things?
A/ I feel good sometimes I feel bored
B/ I feel relaxed
C/ I feel great and happy
D/ I feel doing something new is a stress buster so I do them with great interest

3. How do you treat others?
 A/ I talk to them nicely and calmly 
B/ I try to attract people
C/ I try to make people happy
D/ I am mostly aloof

4. How do you keep your bedroom?
A/ I am a cleanliness freak so my bedroom is always clean and fresh
B/ I am creative so my bedroom is also creative
C/ I decorate my bedroom with beautiful things 
D/ I keep my room simple and tidy

5. What do you do in the playground?
A/ I mostly play by myself
B/ I play with everyone
C/ I play games with huge excitement
D/ I play games that are not too hard

6. What will you do when you overhear a person talking ill about you?
A/ I will ignore the person  
B/ I will remember this but still be kind to that person
C/ I will directly talk to the person 
D/ I will be upset

7. How do you live your life?
A/ I live a happy and satisfying life with no hard feelings for anyone
B/ I try not to hurt others and bring joy in others lives  
C/ I do exciting things that will make my life more interesting
D/ I live a simple life. 

8. What do you do after doing mistakes?
A/ I apologize to people
B/ I never make mistakes
C/ I try to correct my mistakes
D/ I find it hard to say sorry

If your maximum answers are A then your Color is White

If your maximum answers are B then your Color is Pink

If your maximum answers are C then your Color is Orange

If your maximum answers are D then your Color is Brown

Edited by -RD- - 6 years ago
-RD- thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5

Holi is synonymous with masti and music and it's no surprise that Music plays a key role when it comes to depicting this festival which has always been a popular and well celebrated one in Bollywood films. Keeping in sync with this, I bring  to you my Holi favourites from over the years, let me know how many of these have or will feature in your playlist and if not which songs have made it to yours over the years? 

Range Barse

This one is a cult classic and no Holi playlist is complete without this one featuring the baritone of the superstar Amitabh Bachchan from the movie Silsila.

Holi Aayi Re Kanhai

A classic from Mother India capturing the spirit of Holi truly in the voice of Shamshaad Begum.

Aaj na chodenge

Laced with Rajesh Khanna's iconic typical moves, this one is from the blockbuster flick Kati Patang.

Jogiji Haan

This one is from the Rajshri bastion (Nadiya Ke Paar) and like most of their offerings beautifully captures the spirit and essence of Holi.

Balam Pichkari

A modern hip swaying classic featuring Ranbir Kapoor and Deepika capturing the fun side of Holi totally from the movie Yeh Jawani Hai Deewani.

Holi Khelein Raghubeera

Again in the voice Amitabh Bacchan (there is some serious connect between Amitabh Bacchan's voice and a hit Holi song ) this one from the movie Baghban features the gorgeous Hema Malini as well , catchy with some good lyrics a perfect hit for any family Holi event.

Holi Ke Din

One of the most popular songs of Holi from the cult film Sholay capturing the spirit of the festival completely.

Edited by -RD- - 6 years ago
pillowtalk thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Happy Holi cc team... I wish you people a colourful and bright holi... Tulips ji awesome news... I never knew these many reasons behind celebrating holi lol... All I know is about holika dahan I guess :-)... Aditi your post is amazing... my color is pink hehehehehe ... I love this color too much ... RD buddy your holi collection is beautiful... Though I know only Ballam pichakari and Holi re raghubeera I'm going to check on other songs too... can't miss the fun in holi songs :-) ... As always a very colorful and decorative thread... Thank you CC team :-)
x.titli.x thumbnail
Happy Holi to all🤗
Brillant write ups and colourful tags! 

I will try the test but I'm scared of the result😆
Hakuna_Matata11 thumbnail
Wishing all a very happy holi.
MsChanadlerBong thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Happy Holi to everyone! 
Amazing thread! Its so colorful and looks so beautiful. 
Strikhedonia thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Happy Holi everyone!😃
Colourful thread!😳 Very pretty!😛
ZestyZeniaZetas thumbnail
Happy Holi to all members and their families..fantastic colorful thread❤️
Zoya2 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Happy Holi to Everyone