Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Padfoot_Prongs thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 4 years ago

Originally posted by: 23Diya

Happy festivals Mannu!

I watched Super 30 and Mission Mangal. And I watched Pirates of the Caribbean series for the first time (except the 4th one "on stranger tides"). And I'm still trying to find the first few scenes of Daniel Radcliffe's film The Woman in Black.

How's your festive season going?

very Hectic actually. I am not even getting time for shopping.

Padfoot_Prongs thumbnail

Neither do I. But I have decided I need to get better at History and Political science, and thus I was hoping for gaining some knowledge in Indian history from his perspective (I have heard first hand telling of something makes it more interesting). But frankly, I'm starting to wonder if this was such a great idea. The man can't seem to get over the topic of vegetarianism. And you can guess, as a Bengali, just how interesting that topic seems. πŸ˜† I mean, I would have understood if had written a single page...or even a single chapter on the topic of why he became a vegetarian. But nooo...he has to go on and on for chapters about how and why he became a vegetarian. It almost seems as if he is trying to tell himself that it was a good idea. 

Currently I'm on chapter 21 and hardly a chapter without the talk of vegetarianism. I don't know if Bengalis can read it without wanting to tear their hairs out!😑

And now I'm going on about it. Gandhi's rubbing off on me. 

Tell me about Drishti Pradip.

0for history, I always go back to NCERTs specially before 1857 history. Old NCERT books are full of information and build a good base to understand are history afterwards, specially when you dont read it for exams. All that anglo-french wars and anglo- maratha wars. The history. We also had world history in our syllabus. Now that was so damn interesting, knowing about world wars and everything. After 1857, I like Bipin Chandra book. His post Independence history book is also an interesting read. 

I am just rambling. I lice reading history specially when exams are not involved.

23Diya thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Feynmann

You've watched POTC after so long!! I am a fan of the series till 3rd one...I just love Sparrow and Elizabeth!

Yes, I know...just like it was with HP. I read the series 9 years after it was first published.☺️

First one was the best though! After that, they started to drag certain scenes too much which affected the overall quality when compared with the Curse of the Black Pearl. Of course, that didn't make me like it any less. 

I haven't watched the 4th one so can't speak about it, but the 5th wasn't nearly as good as the first few. And the villain was annoying at best. 

And now they are talking about changing Jack Sparrow. I don't know if the film will have anything worth watching if they replace Johnny Depp.

23Diya thumbnail

I will tell you about Dristi Pradip once I complete reading it. I am not at all a Gandhi fan- so your reviews don't even surprise me.

Maybe I'll drop it anyway. I'll try one more chapter I think. 

Is Dristi Pradip a fiction or nonfiction?

23Diya thumbnail

I just loved Super 30! Its one of the best rather the best Bollywood movie I've watched recently. It deals with a very important topic of the society where riches get all the benefits and poor remains deprived, irrespective of their talents. And Gumnami is one movie everyone should watch. First watch it, then we will discuss. And the songs are icing on the cake- INA anthem and Dhano Dhanyo are special mentions apart from Subhasji song by Sonu Nigam.

I might try for a show after Lakshmi Puja. I'll have only one day in hand after tomorrow but well...let's see if I can manage. I have only my father to drag along here.

23Diya thumbnail

Originally posted by: Padfoot_Prongs

very Hectic actually. I am not even getting time for shopping.

Don't worry, you're not alone. I was supposed to wear something new ecah day of Navaratri and I did my Navaratri shopping on Dussehra day. Now, I'm the centre of many jokes in the family. πŸ˜†

23Diya thumbnail

0for history, I always go back to NCERTs specially before 1857 history. Old NCERT books are full of information and build a good base to understand are history afterwards, specially when you dont read it for exams. All that anglo-french wars and anglo- maratha wars. The history. We also had world history in our syllabus. Now that was so damn interesting, knowing about world wars and everything. After 1857, I like Bipin Chandra book. His post Independence history book is also an interesting read. 

I am just rambling. I lice reading history specially when exams are not involved.

I did download a couple of NCERT books but then I remembered how boring I found those back in school because of the way it presented the history. I'd like something that starts with one topic and ends it before jumping on to the next. NCERTs are not like that. They present history like a timeline. It is good for reviewing what I already know but doesn't exactly give me in depth knowledge about anything in particular. Just as an example, if the book's talking about the 15th century, it would name all the dynasties that ruled in that era with only a little titbit about each. I would like a book that speaks of each of them in some length. I don't care if I have to read more than one book to cover that era, as long as the books as interesting and easy to understand.

History has never been my best front, and NCERT just makes it more confusing for me. I'd love to have some other suggestions, if you have?

Padfoot_Prongs thumbnail

I did download a couple of NCERT books but then I remembered how boring I found those back in school because of the way it presented the history. I'd like something that starts with one topic and ends it before jumping on to the next. NCERTs are not like that. They present history like a timeline. It is good for reviewing what I already know but doesn't exactly give me in depth knowledge about anything in particular. Just as an example, if the book's talking about the 15th century, it would name all the dynasties that ruled in that era with only a little titbit about each. I would like a book that speaks of each of them in some length. I don't care if I have to read more than one book to cover that era, as long as the books as interesting and easy to understand.

History has never been my best front, and NCERT just makes it more confusing for me. I'd love to have some other suggestions, if you have?

which timeline do you want to read? We have three timelines- Ancient from Indus civilization to Prithvi raj Chauhan. It has all Budha period, Chankya, Ashoka, Gupta dynasty Harshwardhan etc. 

Medival history after Chahan's defeat and Slave dynasty making root to 1857. 

Modern history- from 1857 to 1947. 

Then we have post Independence history. For last two we have Bipin Chandra books. Nice reads. 

For Ancient we have AL Bhasham book. I have not read this one. But it is highly recommended.

23Diya thumbnail

which timeline do you want to read? We have three timelines- Ancient from Indus civilization to Prithvi raj Chauhan. It has all Budha period, Chankya, Ashoka, Gupta dynasty Harshwardhan etc. 

Medival history after Chahan's defeat and Slave dynasty making root to 1857. 

Modern history- from 1857 to 1947. 

Then we have post Independence history. For last two we have Bipin Chandra books. Nice reads. 

For Ancient we have AL Bhasham book. I have not read this one. But it is highly recommended.

I was planning to start with modern history since that's the part I'm most familiar with. Then I'll move on to ancient and I can carry on from there in chronological order. That is, if I can keep my mind to it this time. 

I'll start with Bipin Chandra's books as you suggested, once I'm done with my pending books. Thanks for the recommendations!

23Diya thumbnail

Oh wow, then it must be super enjoyable festive year for you. There are absolutely no comparisons of celebrating Durga Puja in Kolkata with other places. Even I've celebrated the Puja this year in Kolkata after 2 long years. Which puja pandals did you visit? I've visited Bagbazar Sarbojonin, Shobhazar Rajbari, Kumortuli Sarbojonin and Jagat Mukherjee Park in North Kolkata, and Ekdalia Evergreen, Singhi Park, Deshapriya Park are mandatory puja pandals I visit when in Kolkata.But this year my favorites are Babubagan and Jodhpur Park puja pandals and the idol there is just too good.

An excellent year for me. I visited quite some pandals. From your list, I recognise only one-Kumortuli. I think the rest are from South Kolkata, right? I don't really remember all the names, really...a downside of never having lived in Kolkata, the names of the places are all unfamiliar and difficult to remember. But I can definitely say that I immensely enjoyed all the pandals I visited.

Oh, I remember Mohammed Ali Park and the Shonar thakur.