Mythological Masti
Mythological Masti

A Letter from Panchali - My Pancha Pandavas

PandavPranayini Senior Member
PandavPranayini
PandavPranayini

Posted: 18 January 2018 at 12:10am | IP Logged

Hello all!
This an OS (Letter) I have written from Draupadi's pov. It's a bit controversial, but this is what I believe and this is my perception.

Pranaam! I'm Draupadi. The one born from the sacred fire. I'm called Agnijyotsna and Yagyaseni. I'm called a Pativrata, a dedicated wife. 
I'm Bhagwan Krishna's sakhi, Ardhangini of the Pancha Pandavas, Rajkumari of Panchala and Samragyi of the Bharatavarsha. I'm known for a life full of struggles and tears. Though it's not fully the truth, cause my sufferings started with the attempted Vastraharan in true sense. My wedding may seem unnatural and weird, but it's not a forced one. I would never sacrifice my self respect. The wedding never happened without my consent. I loved the five, I wanted a life with the five and I married the five, was it my fault? My Sakha wouldn't have agreed to any loveless wedding, especially of his Sakhi. Do you think he would? The Pandavas knew that I'm going to be their common wife before the Swayamwara itself, before I saw them or they saw me. They came for me, yes, They, for Me. People are immersed in Kalimaya and believing in the interpolations which disrespect my Satitva, my love and my feelings. My Dharmanath Yudhishthira never said that I'm partial to my Dhananjaya Arjuna. I did not fell first in our way to Swarga because of any sin, but for my Saubhagya.

Some may try to justify that being partial to Arjuna is no mistake and all, it's just a human tendency. But for me, there is no matter of justifying something I never did. Five of them are equal to me, like five senses of my body, like five tattvas of my heart, like five elements of the nature. They are my pancha pranas, can not be compared with each other. They are born for me, for my boon from Bhagwan Shiva to be fulfilled. He told me, that having all the qualities I wished is impossible for a human being, thus I'll have five husbands. But I'll still be chaste and pure, cause Pandavas may have five bodies, but they had one soul. People of Kaliyuga think that loving five equally is impossible for a human. Why? What is love? It's an ocean. In my heart, I had that ocean of pure love, never ending, for my Pancha Pandavas. What you call impossible, it has been possible in my case. I loved them equally. That is why I'm called a Pativrata. Not because I followed them in every step, not because I had true love only for Arjuna, but because I loved them five equally and truly. Don't call my love fake, don't call my feelings lies, don't make my wedding an injustice. Don't separate me from my other four husbands for your satisfaction, Don't insult my Dharmanath mercilessly, Don't degrade my Nath Bhima's love for me calling it names, Don't hurt my Dhananjaya by claiming him as the only husband of mine, Don't ignore the Madriputras, my Naths Nakula and Sahadeva by overlooking their importance. Don't hate my Maa Kunti for the thing that meant to happen. Don't judge my Sakha, the paramatma himself, by doubting my love's truth. 

There is one instance in our lives, called Draupadi - Satyabhama samvada by you all. It is diluted along with the time. It is an instance where the mother of the universe herself, Maa Satyabhama, Sakhi of mine, asks me about my dedication towards my husbands. It is a leela of my Sakha and Sakhi, to prove my feelings towards all the five through my words. But, the interpretations and interpolations twisted and diluted the tale. Though some of it is there, some of it is vanished and some extra additions can be seen. There are many instances in the epic to prove my love, but all of them high or less diluted. Try to look at the things with logical perspective, then one can understand and grasp the essence. 

I'm considered a widow with husbands. Why? Is there any logic in it? What joy do I have by being called that? My husbands didn't stop the tragedy, they physically and psychologically sat numb. But did their feelings and love for me dead? Didn't they hurt watching it? Didn't they pain with their helplessness? After they realised the mistake, they have fought a Mahabharata itself for my humiliation. Were they corpses while fighting the war? 

My love for them stood strong throughout the tests of time, and it will, forever. It cannot be faded as long as I exist. The truth is Panchali belongs to the Pancha Pandavas. Agnija belongs to those devaputras, who filled her hairline with the vermilion, and her heart with the vermilion-coloured beautiful feeling called love. This is my truth. The truth of my life. The eternal truth of my existence

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

Vanshikrishnasw123..Acciona23..ajeebhotumViswasrutiKrishnaPriyaa

KrishnaPriyaa IF-Sizzlerz
KrishnaPriyaa
KrishnaPriyaa

Posted: 18 January 2018 at 9:10pm | IP Logged
Reserved
Don't even ask me :P 

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

PandavPranayini

PandavPranayini
PandavPranayini

Posted: 19 January 2018 at 7:35am | IP Logged
Originally posted by KrishnaPriyaa

Reserved

Huh! Stern Smile

KrishnaPriyaa

KrishnaPriyaa
KrishnaPriyaa

Posted: 22 January 2018 at 6:40pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by KalyaniPanchali

Originally posted by KrishnaPriyaa

Reserved

Huh! Stern Smile
Sakhi baby, this is a re-review :P 

PandavPranayini

Viswasruti IF-Sizzlerz
Viswasruti
Viswasruti

Posted: 02 February 2018 at 9:09am | IP Logged
A well-written essay on the psychological turmoil of Draupadi , one of the strongest characters of Mahabharatha.Smile

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

VanshikrishnaPandavPranayini

lexy_rix IF-Rockerz
lexy_rix
lexy_rix

Posted: 17 February 2018 at 1:10am | IP Logged

I admit that when I first got familiar with the story of the Mahabharata, I was heavily pro-Pandava because Krishna was on their side. But, processing the events of Sabha Parva and thereafter, I am heavily pro-Panchali.

When it comes to actions of the Pandavas in the dice hall, I am COMPLETELY pro-Panchali. And nothing can change the fact that they all failed her when she needed them the most. And therefore, I have absolutely no issues in pulling up the Pandavas for their role in Draupadi's humiliation.

First of all, why is it so difficult for some folks to accept that the Pandavas did mess up big time in the dice hall? There is this theory that goes like the Pandavas were letting power get to their heads in the aftermath of the Rajsuya yagya. Hence Krishna promptly left their side during the dice game at the pretext of fighting Shalva. This theory may not necessarily be true. But, on this forum (and perhaps elsewhere), there will be a ton of opposition to this theory - How can the Pandavas (being of divine births and anshas of Gods) become arrogant in power? Not possible for anshas of Gods to behave like that. But, an ansha of God is not expected to stake his wife, and anshas of Gods are not expected to mutely witness their wife's humiliation. Both of which DID happen. So, let us not pretend as if the Pandavas were completely clean in their conduct. Pretending to be good while committing adharma - that is something just not acceptable in my eyes.

Also if Panchali could call upon Krishna to save her in the dice hall, why didn't the Pandavas do so when they were being subjected to unfair play and turned into slaves?

Let us not forget that justice for Panchali was NOT the only reason for the war.

Looking at the bigger picture, the Kurukshetra War was Krishna's way of paying back the Kauravas for every bit of wrongdoing they had subjected the Pandavas - Bhima's poisoning, lakshagrah, Dhritarashtra's inaction, Duryodhana's ego, and finally, Panchali's humiliation, which was the last straw when it came to all of the wrongdoing.

And before anyone wants to hail the Pandavas as the great avengers of Panchali, there was also an ulterior motive behind the Pandavas themselves agreeing to fight the war (and this ulterior motive had NOTHING to do with Panchali). The war was ALSO fought for the Pandavas to get back their kingdom and rights. Why did they send the peace proposal being happy with accepting 5 villages if it meant keeping war aside? They agreed to fight only AFTER Duryodhana rejected this proposal.

Suppose Duryodhana had agreed to the proposal resulting in the Pandavas being given the 5 villages (and the war not happening), what would've happened to Panchali?

1. First of all, before we go to the dice game, what about Panchali's division? I find it extremely hard to accept that Panchali's division is underlined as ultimately her own doing -

"The celestial Sri, having undergone severe ascetic penances, hath, for the sake of the Pandavas, had her birth as thy daughter, in the course of thy grand sacrifice. That handsome goddess, waited upon by all the celestials, as a consequence of her own acts becomes the (common) wife of five husbands.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/m01/m01200.htm

Why does the Draupadi's division get excused on account of backstories (making Draupadi herself responsible for it)? How can anyone ignore the fact that she WAS indeed objectified by both Arjuna and Kunti, and Yudhishthira chose to agree with his mother's decision on this occasion?

Even if she (from her own end) had an unspoken wish to marry all five Pandavas, surely it could've been done in a much more dignified manner than "alms" and "enjoy ye all". I mean, nothing wrong in polyandry. But, Jatila being wedded to the saptarishis or Pracheti being married to ten brothers did those polyandrous marriages also take place by "alms" and "divide"? That is exactly what makes the circumstances behind Draupadi's division so improper.

2. Yes, the Pandavas may have avenged her humiliation but does that change the fact that she WAS subjected to so much humiliation in the first place because of them? There is a reason why the staking, insults, and vastraharan are still remembered as the most shameful incidents even though the Kurukshetra War happened later on. Using real world analogies, just because Osama bin Laden was killed by the US, does it mean 9/11 never happened? Similarly, just because Draupadi's humiliation was avenged, does it mean her insults are meant to be forgotten, and are we supposed to assume that she was never insulted in the first place? Sorry but the inaction of the Pandavas in the dice hall can NEVER be forgotten - Kurukshetra or no Kurukshetra.

3. Even if one wants to overlook the events of the dice hall ('cos hey, she was avenged after all), what about all those occasions when she was insulted otherwise and Yudhishthira chose not to punish her offenders? I am precisely talking about Jayadratha and Keechaka here. Jayadratha being pardoned ultimately resulted in Abhimanyu's death. And with regards to Keechaka, Yudhishthira had the gall to tell her to ignore and not to do drama.

"The wives of heroes bear affliction for the sake of their husbands, and undergoing toil in ministering unto their lords, they at last attain to region where their husbands may go. Thy Gandharva husbands, effulgent as the sun, do not, I imagine, consider this as an occasion for manifesting their wrath, inasmuch as they do not rush to thy aid. O Sairindhri, thou art ignorant of the timeliness of things, and it is for this that thou weepest as an actress, besides interrupting the play of dice in Matsya's court. Retire, O Sairindhri; the Gandharvas will do what is agreeable to thee. And they will surely display thy woe and take the life of him that hath wronged thee.' Hearing these words the Sairindhri replied, 'They of whom I am the wedded wife are, I ween, extremely kind. And as the eldest of them all is addicted to dice, they are liable to be oppressed by all.'"

http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/m04/m04016.htm

But hey, Bhima killed Keechaka so let us just overlook Yudhishthira's actions here, isn't it?

4. Coming to the staking itself, Panchali was the common wife of the Pandavas. Did Yudhisthira seriously think he had the maximum rights on her just because he was the eldest husband? Shouldn't he have bothered to consult his brothers before staking her considering she was their wife too? For starters, we all know how Bhima reacted to Draupadi's staking. Additionally, towards the end of the war, what was Yudhishthira thinking when he told Duryodhana that if he defeats any one Pandava in a one-on-one duel, he will be the winner and the king? Krishna actually gave Yudhishthira a piece of his mind for such senseless risking of the Pandava cause, and even compared it to the staking of the fortunes of the Pandavas as it happened on that fateful day in the dice hall all those years back.

5. No matter how pro-Pandava one might be, let us accept that avenging Panchali's humiliation happened only because of her own efforts. She NEVER let the Pandavas forget what happened to her in the dice hall, she questioned them, and she did not relent till she got justice. And this was Panchali who had to go through such a testing trial. I mean, if Yudhishthira had the gall to stake a fierce and fiery woman like Panchali, just imagine if some ordinary woman had been his wife and had been staked in Panchali's place. Basically, Panchali getting justice for herself was COMPLETELY her own doing and nothing else. And it happened all because of the fire within her.

What I'm saying is - Let us not regard the Pandavas as the "husbands of the year" just because of what they did on the battlefield. They should not have made her go through hell to begin with - first, through the staking, and secondly, through mutely witnessing the dragging, insults, and vastraharan. Therefore, she expected the Pandavas to get justice for her mainly because they had their own part to play in her plight, and she saw to it that she got justice.

It WASN'T a case of "I love my husbands so I know they will fight for me". It was basically a case of "My husbands failed me when I needed them the most. They are responsible for my plight. So they owe me justice and I WILL ensure that my husbands NEVER forgive the ones who humiliated me".

Therefore, if anyone bothers to defend the Pandavas in the dice hall or on other occasions when they did not support her, they are basically implying that Draupadi should've quietly tolerated all the injustice and humiliation meted out to her without protesting or speaking out. Seriously, is this how we know Panchali?

And crediting the Pandavas for their actions in the Kurukshetra War only means that Panchali's own fight to get justice becomes secondary and subordinate. Which can never be the case. According to me, Panchali's fight to get justice was much greater than the Pandavas fighting on the battlefield in Kurukshetra. Because her fight was purely her own. And, as I said, the Pandavas had their own reasons to fight the war (other than Panchali's humiliation).

Besides, Duryodhana getting killed by Bhima also ensured that the Pandavas got their kingdom back. So, the war was not just about avenging Panchali to begin with.

I do NOT blame Draupadi for being partial to Arjuna (if indeed so). Anyone else in her position would've done the same. He won her in the swayamwar, and he gets exiled during her year with Yudhishthira. Isn't it natural for her to miss him the most? And he was also away during the Pandava exile as he was away in Indralok. If Yudhishthira perceives THAT as being partial to Arjuna, how can it be her fault? It is a matter of HIS perception alone. Also why does Yudhishthira EXPECT her to treat all five equally? He was the one who staked her and did not bother to act when she needed help. So, Yudhishthira has no right to pass any judgement on this account.

Edited by lexy_rix - 17 February 2018 at 1:21am

ltelidevaraViswasruti

PandavPranayini
PandavPranayini

Posted: 17 February 2018 at 4:12am | IP Logged
Originally posted by lexy_rix

I admit that when I first got familiar with the story of the Mahabharata, I was heavily pro-Pandava because Krishna was on their side. But, processing the events of Sabha Parva and thereafter, I am heavily pro-Panchali.

I'm not neither of them, but a strong devotee of Krishna before anything else. Smile

When it comes to actions of the Pandavas in the dice hall, I am COMPLETELY pro-Panchali. And nothing can change the fact that they all failed her when she needed them the most. And therefore, I have absolutely no issues in pulling up the Pandavas for their role in Draupadi's humiliation.

I never said that they were right. They were absolutely wrong. 

First of all, why is it so difficult for some folks to accept that the Pandavas did mess up big time in the dice hall? There is this theory that goes like the Pandavas were letting power get to their heads in the aftermath of the Rajsuya yagya. Hence Krishna promptly left their side during the dice game at the pretext of fighting Shalva. This theory may not necessarily be true. But, on this forum (and perhaps elsewhere), there will be a ton of opposition to this theory - How can the Pandavas (being of divine births and anshas of Gods) become arrogant in power? Not possible for anshas of Gods to behave like that. But, an ansha of God is not expected to stake his wife, and anshas of Gods are not expected to mutely witness their wife's humiliation. Both of which DID happen. So, let us not pretend as if the Pandavas were completely clean in their conduct. Pretending to be good while committing adharma - that is something just not acceptable in my eyes.

Every human is an amsha of God, as per BhagavadGita. That doesn't stop anyone from committing gravest of sins. Even if Pandavas are direct amshas, they were just an atom of the divinity, and thus were flawed. I heard of the theory, and not sure about it. But they staked their wife and became a mute witness to her humiliation. They were wrong. They committed a mistake/fault/sin/crime. 

Also if Panchali could call upon Krishna to save her in the dice hall, why didn't the Pandavas do so when they were being subjected to unfair play and turned into slaves?

Another mistake, the main one.

Let us not forget that justice for Panchali was NOT the only reason for the war.

Looking at the bigger picture, the Kurukshetra War was Krishna's way of paying back the Kauravas for every bit of wrongdoing they had subjected the Pandavas - Bhima's poisoning, lakshagrah, Dhritarashtra's inaction, Duryodhana's ego, and finally, Panchali's humiliation, which was the last straw when it came to all of the wrongdoing.

And before anyone wants to hail the Pandavas as the great avengers of Panchali, there was also an ulterior motive behind the Pandavas themselves agreeing to fight the war (and this ulterior motive had NOTHING to do with Panchali). The war was ALSO fought for the Pandavas to get back their kingdom and rights. Why did they send the peace proposal being happy with accepting 5 villages if it meant keeping war aside? They agreed to fight only AFTER Duryodhana rejected this proposal.

Suppose Duryodhana had agreed to the proposal resulting in the Pandavas being given the 5 villages (and the war not happening), what would've happened to Panchali?

See, regarding the peace proposal, the Pandavas themselves had contradicting opinions. While I agree that there is another motive, remember that Dharma raja had no inclination towards Kingdom and rights. He was okay with living in forest all his life rather than the huge bloodshed like Mahabharata. But Krishna willed it, and it happened. Krishna knew Suyodhana would refuse beforehand. Thus only he never hesitated to go as an envoy and suggest peace. We can't say that they should have never thought of peace. Cause they knew how terrible the war will be. To avenge Panchali, why punish the entire aryavarta? But Krishna's motive was different. He must annihilate the adharma though Kurukshetra. Thus the war happened. And Panchali was avenged thereafter. 

1. First of all, before we go to the dice game, what about Panchali's division? I find it extremely hard to accept that Panchali's division is underlined as ultimately her own doing -

"The celestial Sri, having undergone severe ascetic penances, hath, for the sake of the Pandavas, had her birth as thy daughter, in the course of thy grand sacrifice. That handsome goddess, waited upon by all the celestials, as a consequence of her own acts becomes the (common) wife of five husbands.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/m01/m01200.htm

Why does the Draupadi's division get excused on account of backstories (making Draupadi herself responsible for it)? How can anyone ignore the fact that she WAS indeed objectified by both Arjuna and Kunti, and Yudhishthira chose to agree with his mother's decision on this occasion?

Even if she (from her own end) had an unspoken wish to marry all five Pandavas, surely it could've been done in a much more dignified manner than "alms" and "enjoy ye all". I mean, nothing wrong in polyandry. But, Jatila being wedded to the saptarishis or Pracheti being married to ten brothers did those polyandrous marriages also take place by "alms" and "divide"? That is exactly what makes the circumstances behind Draupadi's division so improper.

She hasn't been objectified. In her division, it was not hers fault, neither Pandavas' nor Kunti's. It is the butchering that the epic received from the time it's been written down. It underwent many changes and distortions and this is one of it. "Alms" and "Enjoy ye all" is all rubbish. It happened with the consent of both her and the five, and Krishna approved it. More than a back story justification, their attraction and love was enough. 

2. Yes, the Pandavas may have avenged her humiliation but does that change the fact that she WAS subjected to so much humiliation in the first place because of them? There is a reason why the staking, insults, and vastraharan are still remembered as the most shameful incidents even though the Kurukshetra War happened later on. Using real world analogies, just because Osama bin Laden was killed by the US, does it mean 9/11 never happened? Similarly, just because Draupadi's humiliation was avenged, does it mean her insults are meant to be forgotten, and are we supposed to assume that she was never insulted in the first place? Sorry but the inaction of the Pandavas in the dice hall can NEVER be forgotten - Kurukshetra or no Kurukshetra.

I agree with you. But we have to understand why Draupadi forgave them and not Kauravas. She didn't forgive them because she was a "Pativrata naari", but because they truly repented their sin/mistake. They performed penance. They didn't forgive themselves, but Panchali did. Her humiliation, Pandavas are blameworthy. But why Krishna supported them and why didn't Panchali divorce them (as in StarB) and go away to Panchala? That is because they performed their prayashchitt. And you may ask, what's the use of it? Does that mean can anyone perform crimes, murders and rapes and do prayashchitt, sin washes away? NO, absolute not. Why Pandavas are forgiven because they repented with true pashchatthap in their hearts and true prema towards Panchali. Not that everyone can rectify that way. One can only do it when their feelings are pure.

3. Even if one wants to overlook the events of the dice hall ('cos hey, she was avenged after all), what about all those occasions when she was insulted otherwise and Yudhishthira chose not to punish her offenders? I am precisely talking about Jayadratha and Keechaka here. Jayadratha being pardoned ultimately resulted in Abhimanyu's death. And with regards to Keechaka, Yudhishthira had the gall to tell her to ignore and not to do drama.

"The wives of heroes bear affliction for the sake of their husbands, and undergoing toil in ministering unto their lords, they at last attain to region where their husbands may go. Thy Gandharva husbands, effulgent as the sun, do not, I imagine, consider this as an occasion for manifesting their wrath, inasmuch as they do not rush to thy aid. O Sairindhri, thou art ignorant of the timeliness of things, and it is for this that thou weepest as an actress, besides interrupting the play of dice in Matsya's court. Retire, O Sairindhri; the Gandharvas will do what is agreeable to thee. And they will surely display thy woe and take the life of him that hath wronged thee.' Hearing these words the Sairindhri replied, 'They of whom I am the wedded wife are, I ween, extremely kind. And as the eldest of them all is addicted to dice, they are liable to be oppressed by all.'"

http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/m04/m04016.htm

But hey, Bhima killed Keechaka so let us just overlook Yudhishthira's actions here, isn't it?

These out of character dialogues for Dharma raja makes me cringe. Dead

The Dharmaraja who I see from my spiritual perspective, was never like this. I formed my own conclusions and perspectives after a LOT of research and analysing. The epic is heavily distorted. He never ever insulted Draupadi except in the dyut sabha where he sits passive. That is where even I get angry. But no, he never insulted her like this. He only told her to go in, which distorters dramatised. He even promises her that they will punish her wrongdoers, but you leave the court. Because he feared that her identity will be revealed. And why? What if revealed? And now I would like to remind you that he had another wife, named Devika. He only wanted to complete the agyaat without any obstacles and yet he made sure that Kichaka is punished. He never told Panchali to tolerate.

4. Coming to the staking itself, Panchali was the common wife of the Pandavas. Did Yudhisthira seriously think he had the maximum rights on her just because he was the eldest husband? Shouldn't he have bothered to consult his brothers before staking her considering she was their wife too? For starters, we all know how Bhima reacted to Draupadi's staking. Additionally, towards the end of the war, what was Yudhishthira thinking when he told Duryodhana that if he defeats any one Pandava in a one-on-one duel, he will be the winner and the king? Krishna actually gave Yudhishthira a piece of his mind for such senseless risking of the Pandava cause, and even compared it to the staking of the fortunes of the Pandavas as it happened on that fateful day in the dice hall all those years back.

He never thought all that when he staked her. Both his staking himself and staking her are impulsive decisions. But even then, the four dared not to object so it's their mistake as well. Bhima only scolded him. I didn't study much about the second incident in many versions. So I better not comment in it cause my knowledge is poor there. 

5. No matter how pro-Pandava one might be, let us accept that avenging Panchali's humiliation happened only because of her own efforts. She NEVER let the Pandavas forget what happened to her in the dice hall, she questioned them, and she did not relent till she got justice. And this was Panchali who had to go through such a testing trial. I mean, if Yudhishthira had the gall to stake a fierce and fiery woman like Panchali, just imagine if some ordinary woman had been his wife and had been staked in Panchali's place. Basically, Panchali getting justice for herself was COMPLETELY her own doing and nothing else. And it happened all because of the fire within her.

There is no pro-panchali and pro-pandava for me. They are not two teams. They have always been one except that fateful day. Meanwhile I agree that it was Pancake who made it happen and we know Bhima was eager to avenge her but you know? Even Bhima was reluctant to let such a huge destruction happen. At that time, only Krishna, Panchali and Sahadeva were hell bent on fighting. Many think Sahadeva had no say in the epic. But he's the only Pandava who wanted to fight the war even when Bhima was hesitating.

What I'm saying is - Let us not regard the Pandavas as the "husbands of the year" just because of what they did on the battlefield. They should not have made her go through hell to begin with - first, through the staking, and secondly, through mutely witnessing the dragging, insults, and vastraharan. Therefore, she expected the Pandavas to get justice for her mainly because they had their own part to play in her plight, and she saw to it that she got justice.

It WASN'T a case of "I love my husbands so I know they will fight for me". It was basically a case of "My husbands failed me when I needed them the most. They are responsible for my plight. So they owe me justice and I WILL ensure that my husbands NEVER forgive the ones who humiliated me".

Therefore, if anyone bothers to defend the Pandavas in the dice hall or on other occasions when they did not support her, they are basically implying that Draupadi should've quietly tolerated all the injustice and humiliation meted out to her without protesting or speaking out. Seriously, is this how we know Panchali?

I only defend them emotionally, but never morally and ethically. No, she should not have been. She protested. She proved herself. Her devotion towards the Lord and Lord fulfilled his responsibility. There is one thing I imply that both Kauravas and Pandavas were at wrong. Right? But Kauravas didn't repent, Pandavas did. Krishna is impartial. He gave equal chances to both, but one chose him and the other chose his army. Pandavas realised their fault, and surrendered to God. That is why they are respected today, despite the fact that they committed a fault. They showed us that even great people make horrible mistakes, yet they can purify themselves through penance and surrender towards God. Only with TRUE REPENTANCE. 

And crediting the Pandavas for their actions in the Kurukshetra War only means that Panchali's own fight to get justice becomes secondary and subordinate. Which can never be the case. According to me, Panchali's fight to get justice was much greater than the Pandavas fighting on the battlefield in Kurukshetra. Because her fight was purely her own. And, as I said, the Pandavas had their own reasons to fight the war (other than Panchali's humiliation).

Besides, Duryodhana getting killed by Bhima also ensured that the Pandavas got their kingdom back. So, the war was not just about avenging Panchali to begin with.

And then? Dharmaraja, who was grief stricken and guilt ridden, wants to sacrifice the same? Wow. If Panchali was non existent here, they wouldn't have fought at all. Yes, Panchali's is not subordinate but is equal according to me. Cause it takes a lot of courage for Pandavas to fight their own relatives even If they wronged them. And Panchali's courage and strength, her war is equal to the war fought by all her loved ones for her (Inc. Her father, brother, sons). She was the shakti and inspiration of Pandavas, without whom they wouldn't have had raised a weapon. 

I do NOT blame Draupadi for being partial to Arjuna (if indeed so). Anyone else in her position would've done the same. He won her in the swayamwar, and he gets exiled during her year with Yudhishthira. Isn't it natural for her to miss him the most? And he was also away during the Pandava exile as he was away in Indralok. If Yudhishthira perceives THAT as being partial to Arjuna, how can it be her fault? It is a matter of HIS perception alone. Also why does Yudhishthira EXPECT her to treat all five equally? He was the one who staked her and did not bother to act when she needed help. So, Yudhishthira has no right to pass any judgement on this account.

I believe none of this. Yudhisthira didn't expect or told anything as such. She has so special place for anyone. Her affection was equal. You don't blame her, but that notion itself is an insult to her love in spite of how you see It.

ViswasrutiKrishnaPriyaa

KrishnaPriyaa
KrishnaPriyaa

Posted: 17 February 2018 at 4:31am | IP Logged
Divi, I disagree with most of what you say, and Panchu has already pointed out all that I would say too. Let me add one point. 
The avenging of Draupadi did NOT happen because of her OWN EFFORT, but because of her Bhakti to Krishna, AND because she was on the side of Dharma. Her faith in Krishna protected her, her faith, devotion on Krishna got her what she deserved. Gave her what she had to be given. Established her back. The Gita speaks of Surrender. It is something Panchali does in the Dyut Sabha, which all her husbands do during vanvaas, which Arjuna does during and after the Kurukshetra War. Draupadi has already surrendered, which is why, despite her insult, she simply prays to Krishna for everything. Krishna helps her out each time. 
The Mahabharata is not just a rational epic, but it is a Divine one. The Divine aspect gets lost these days. A spiritual perspective is very much needed to see the true glories of the epic. Yes. The Pandavas definitely made mistakes. But they also repented truly. If they had not, then Krishna would NEVER be on their side. Krishna is verily the Lord, the One who Creates All. He is impartial (which is why He cannot possibly be partial to only one Pandava or only one wife). He will choose only the side of Dharma. The Pandavas, without prayaschit, could never have attained Krishna. So despite the blunders they did create, they repented truly, and thus, Dharma stayed on their side. There is, as Panchu says, no pro-Panchali and Pro-Pandavas separately. They are ONE team, not a division of teams. 

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

VanshikrishnaPandavPranayiniViswasruti

Go to top