Porus

Trying not to jump the gun.

Meself thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 6 years ago
As the title makes it clear, I am not trying to jump the gun here. But I just caught the individual promo for Olympias. Did they just show that she was raped by Philip II Macedon? Like in all seriousness did they actually show that?

Philip had loved Olympias; but had grown to resent her given her power hungry nature. Just please don't screw this. Also just because she was a devout of the orgiastic cult of Orphism doesn't mean she danced and slept snakes. In orgiastic Orphism snakes are sacred and the followers kept snakes in their residence to show their alligience to Dyonisus. Just stop showing Plutarch's cheap fantasy. Just stop. ðŸ˜†

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

EtherealRati thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Yes ...accoding to promos...olympias got raped by philips. Ek mard ne mera guroor cheena hain means rape only. I was shocked seeing the promo as i have never heard before that alexander came in the world as a result of rape. So was it not like that...olympias and philips loved each other ?...jitna i have read...he won her in war and he also doubted that alexander was his own son. I kind of believed the promo as no love story is being mentioned. Can you please share some links which tell that they were in love when alexander took birth ?...i would like to increase my knowledge about it...i would be happy if that rape dint happen for real with olympia...regarding olympia surrounded with snakes...i have scene historical pictures of olympia being surrounded with snakes too. 
darkwarrior200 thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Yes if u see the third promo of Olympias that was released the rape is properly shown also. I have no idea if he really loved her or not because l haven't read books on these facts but i have browsed through the net and a few friends told me that Philip was a brute. I read on the net (not wiki) that He was weary and put off by Olympias after he saw her surrounded by snakes as she slept. Doubted if Alexander was his biological son. But this remains a well known fact that Alexander was not the first choice as King by Philip. Infact he wasn't even an option.
Olympias and Philip did have another child, Cleopatra.
Meself thumbnail
As far as written evidences are concerned then there are quite a few papers. You can always begin by Plutarch's paper but remember he criticised her heavily for being follower of the Prohibited cult. Then there are other articles and paper available. You could always check them out. 

Olympias was the daughter of Neoptolemus I of Epirus. When Philip won over Epirus, she was given in marriage to him. Other version states that both Philip and Olympias were initiated into orgiastic cult together and this is how they fell in love. She was his queen consort and he had loved her until he came face to face with her true self. She was an extremely jealous and power hungry woman. This is what drove a wedge between the two. 

When Philip married Eurydice she went into a self exile taking both Alexander and Cleopatra with her. It is here she began her manipulation of Alexander. She imbibed in Alexander's young impressionable mind that he was not the son of Philip but Zeus himself who had chosen him to rule the world. Alexander's ambition was fuelled by this statement of his mother. He actually took himself to be a demi-god and began ruthlessly planning for his conquest. Olympias didn't allow a healthy relationship to develop between Philip and Alexander. And then it ended badly when she got Philip assassinated in 336 B.C. and established Alexander as the King of Macedonia. 

The reason why she is shown with snakes is that she was a devout of the orgiastic sub-sect of Orphism. Greek Polytheism later got another sect called Orphism. It was dedicated to Dyonisus who was the son of Zeus and Semele. He is the god of mystery and is sometime identified with Zagreus the son of Hades. Anyway, there are many sub sects in Orphism, one such sect is orgiastic sect. In this snakes are sacred and symbol of power. The devouts of orgiastic cult kept snakes with them as a show of their submission to Dyonisus. This is one reason why Olympias is shown with snakes. But I can't really believe Plutarch's suggestions that says she slept and danced dirty with snakes. Bhai that isn't possible logically.😆
Edited by Meself - 6 years ago
Melkor thumbnail
Pitaji Plutarch's theories always sounded so illogical🤪Keeping snakes as pets is one thing but sleeping with them really???
Orphism or not how can someone sleep with venomous snakes and not get bitten?😆
I guess the modern filmmakers chose to depict Plutarch's version coz Olympias playing with snakes is more dramatic than just keeping them.
Even in the movie Alexander,Angelina's Olympias was shown to be playing with snakes.

About the rape scene I have my reservations.This was probably shown to totally blackwash Philly and prove some justification to Olly's actions.Historically Philly and Olly had a problematic marriage but whatever happened between them was consensual since they did have a daughter after Alexander.

Shaina_b thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
We are talking about a time when there was no concept of marital rape!!!!

If anyone here has watched Game of Thrones, she will know!!!!

We know for sure their marriage was a stormy one!!!!

In fact possibly she killed him!!!!

I don't think this is as much distortion of history as they are doing in case of Porus' parents!!!!

Just because we know nothing of them, Siddharth Tewary has gotten the right to improvise, he had to do a Gul Khan in historical setting!!!!😡

canapoem thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Wow thank you for such an informative discussion.

Meself thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Shaina_b

We are talking about a time when there was no concept of marital rape!!!!

If anyone here has watched Game of Thrones, she will know!!!!

We know for sure their marriage was a stormy one!!!!

In fact possibly she killed him!!!!

I don't think this is as much distortion of history as they are doing in case of Porus' parents!!!!

Just because we know nothing of them, Siddharth Tewary has gotten the right to improvise, he had to do a Gul Khan in historical setting!!!!😡

Ah the reference to the blasted GoT. ðŸ˜† See putri this is why I maintain it to be a overhyped stuff.

Well concept of marital rape existed both among the Greeks and us Indians. A man couldn't force himself on a woman even if she was a prostitute. This went down during the medieval ages badly when women were stripped off all their rights. Among the Greeks such women who were victims of rape were kept in shelters guarded with symbols of Medusa while the trial was on. 

Besides the rocky marriage was of Olympia's own making. Had she not been that mad about power she probably would have had a happy marriage. I mean it ended with she getting Philip murdered, it is enough a proof of what kind of a woman she was.
Shaina_b thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
This content was originally posted by: Meself

Ah the reference to the blasted GoT. ðŸ˜† See putri this is why I maintain it to be a overhyped stuff.

Well concept of marital rape existed both among the Greeks and us Indians. A man couldn't force himself on a woman even if she was a prostitute. This went down during the medieval ages badly when women were stripped off all their rights. Among the Greeks such women who were victims of rape were kept in shelters guarded with symbols of Medusa while the trial was on. 

Besides the rocky marriage was of Olympia's own making. Had she not been that mad about power she probably would have had a happy marriage. I mean it ended with she getting Philip murdered, it is enough a proof of what kind of a woman she was.

But still it is not criminalized in India!!!!

And explain how it is good to be ambitious if you are a man and bad to be ambitious if you are a woman??

And Phillip married again, he very well deserved what he got!!!!