My issues with Marathi serials

DanceUntilWeDie thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 6 years ago
After watching Marathi TV shows for years,  I do have murder of complaints about them.  This will be a long post and I'd like your comments on them too.  Maybe we might agree on something 😉
Here we go

1. The portrayal of female protagonist
Women run the TV world.  Hence the stories are catered to them.  But what irks me is that the TV heroine is always supposed to be a GOOD GIRL.  Who defines the image of that? 

The recent examples 
Saraswati 
Manasi from kkk
Radhika from mnb 
Gauri 

All the girls in the past
Sweet. Polite,  wearing traditional clothes,  all know the household chores.  Never disrespect anyone despite being insulted,  taunted,  disrespected by ANYONE and EVERYONE. 
   2. VAMPS
Speak English (although bad) 
Wear western clothes 
Don't do much household chores 
Have western names like
Kiara,  Shanaya,  Monica,  Sara. 
They go to work,  love their jobs,  are ambitious and hence evil. 

More on it later 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

vidya0906 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Hey good post ILC 👍🏼  (Are you Jhanavi btw? 🤔)
I have watched a limited number of Marathi serials and yeah, in most of them the FL is always the goody goody type.  But that's the norm in all the shows...not only Marathi but Hindi, and even international shows too...Have watched a few Turkish serials in that too its the same.  And the vamps and villians are always smarter and one step ahead of the good ones 😕

But Ragini in Rudram is different   And I am watching a Star Plus show, Rishton Ka Chakravyuh...The FL Anami in that is simply the opp of all that you have listed above, but still we love her 😛

Keep posting 👍🏼

Janhavi here. 
About female lead,  
Now slowly things maybe changing,  but STILL most of them prefer a Maherchi Saadi. 
Their  heroines NEVER  behave like humans.  
Kadhi chookat nahi. 

kamalsh56 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Good topic!
As Vidya said, this is not just in Marathi but in all language serials and maybe in most films too that the heroine is goody goody and the vamp is the other extreme.
Could it be related to ingrained social norms? 
If grandparents, parents, husbands were asked who their grandaughter/daughter/wife/sister should emulate between Radhika and Shanaya, isn't it likely they will opt for Radhika? People do get involved in serials as it enters their drawing room and becomes a part of their life. I have heard colleagues discussing serials as if it is some life and death matter. When someone is hooked to a serial, the characters become a part of their family.
So is it any wonder that MNB is at the top of the chart and Rudram has limited appeal outside IF discussion. Ragini is one of the most down to earth portrayals but her's is such a grey character that will anyone want to emulate her?
Even Guru has a fancy for some fun with Shanaya but then he ultimately wants the stability of a family with Radhika.
That's my POV.
Edited by kamalsh56 - 6 years ago
pri_b thumbnail
Hey ..thank you so much for opening this thread...
Had stopped posting on forums since a long time,,,
Anyways,.agree with u Completely,,
I used to watch KDP passionately for Shiv and Gauri..but the moment the scene shifted to Varanasi ..it hit rock bottom for me..they have completely butchered their chemistry,,, all we get to see is a crying Gauri (straight out of Kekta Mata factory)..and honestly mala ashya regressive characters nahi awdat baghayla ..its is not just her character post marriage but also her bhaiyani look that was a major put off for me that ..I have stopped watching this show..
 As for MNB,,will say that ..Radhika's character has shown a lot of growth over the months..there's so much positivity..m sure the day she comes to know that guru is two timing her..its doom's day for him...
I enjoy watching Naktu though,,prajakta's character is so full of life and so happy ,,(I watch repeats of this show)..mala khup awadta naktula baghayla..would love to see more of such protagonists ..where the heroine is always chirpy ,,tila baghun mala utsahi watta..such is the positive effect of that character ...
Special mention to the newcomer abhijit amkar here..looking at the current crop of gauthi looking heros (with the exception of shiv)..he is a thandi Hawa Ka jhauka for me..very good looking..would love to see him do more ZM shows...
Sorry for the long post,,,
*Resham* thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
The logic behind the FL being so goody goody and villains necessity is that unless u show the evil side u can't recognise the goodness around u. The shows r getting typical everywhere not restricting to any medium . Also there has to be hidden truths, I will not let anything happen to u types, will not tell anything to anyone including Ur husband is the trend. 
Rudram by far is close to reality and a wind of good change but it will be an exception as the channels popular will only deal with the typical trends even if they start a different topic. 

People watch SAAS bahu sagas, love hate relationship to the core that rakes trp charts for the channels. 
kamalsh56 thumbnail
@pri_b
My view on your observations:
1) Agree that Amma's negativity and Gauri's silence were getting on the nerves and very irritating and bringing the serial down.
2) Don't agree on the butchering of "chemistry" of Shauri because it is but natural that after marriage the romance will be  more mature and not like it was earlier. I think what they are showing is quite natural.
3) Don't agree on Radhika's positivity. In fact it is highly regressive that she and their son have been abused by Guru and he has "lived in" with another woman and she continues to believe in him. In spite of her well wishers warning her that he continues to be two timing her, she still has hopes of winning him over. I will call this serial truly progressive if Radhika becomes a top businesswoman AND files for divorce when she finds out about Guru's games. But has anyone any doubts how this will end?
4) Nakti was nice in initial episodes with the effervescence of Prajakta. But once they started getting people like Bharat Jadhav as a match, things started deteriorating and became repetative.
I fail to understand Radhika.  
She clearly knows her Hubby is a cheater. 
Red-handed pakadlay tyala. 
Tynae  tila  chhalnyat kahi  kami kela  nahi. 
He CLEARLY DOESN'T want her. 
So WHY on earth is she forcing herself in his life.  She should have left him and started her new life long back. 

But my biggest problem is her blaming ONLY SHANAYA 
it' takez two to tango. 

Guru is equally responsible for the mess in her life. 

That is my problem villain Gurunath pan ahe. 

My other problem is the unrealistic expectations from the heroine's  character 

She can even tolerate a cheater hubby,  torturous In-laws and step mom, or sister and still believe in the goodness of the heart. 

Positive attitude asava  Pan  evdha  nahi
 kids tyala  stupidity mhantat

Fool her once shame on them 
Fool her twice,  shame on HER! 

She cooks,  prays,  does pooja,  does all household chores 

Only then she's a good girl.. 

Even Anajali is asked by her father in law. 
aaho SUNBAI  Amcha RanaLa  kay  khayla  detay  ki nahi! 

Ti  kay  gharatli  Cook  ahe. 
Is Rana  a little boy? 

Wife does not equal a household maid! 

She has her life.  
Once a heroine gets married in the show,  immediately the roles change! 
Kitchenchi chi responsibilty tila maap olandun  miletch! 

Arey kiti  regressive!
When will they show a couple sharing the responsibility? 

Why can't we have a heroine  who says NO I don't know how to cook? 
Only meghana  and radha of eldg are the two girls I remember who were open about it. 
And Aditya ( Love ) and Ghana  were quite cool about it. 
Need more of Aditya! #WillAlwaysLoveAdiMeg
Edited by ilovecrepes - 6 years ago
kamalsh56 thumbnail
@ILC, you have hit the nail on the head. In all this jhamela Shanaya alone is being blamed. Guru is a worse crook. He wants to have fun outside as well as get the stability of a cosy family.