India-Forums

Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat
Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

Recently Seen Movies - 10 (Page 114)

Tani91 IF-Sizzlerz
Tani91
Tani91

Posted: 25 February 2018 at 12:09pm | IP Logged
Love Per Square Foot - really adorable and charming romcom. I watched it while browsing Netflix and it seemed cute. Vicky and Angira were cute together and the story was sweet but too many subplots like the Hindu vs Christian thing, the house scam and the boss lady etc it was too much . 8/10 nice time pass movie.

Edited by Tani91 - 25 February 2018 at 1:12pm

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Kaoridz-Swetha-

Himalaya10 Senior Member
Himalaya10
Himalaya10

Posted: 25 February 2018 at 7:08pm | IP Logged
movie review---Three billboards outside Ebbing , Missouri

Review has spoilers

A woman approaches the businessman who has the rights to three Billboards outside Ebbing in the state of Missouri in US . She pays real money to have them painted with words provocative to Sheriff Willoughby ( Woody Harrelson ) . The words ask him to take action on the case of the rape and murder of her daughter , because nothing has been happening in the case after some investigation which reached a dead end . One of the billboards says 'raped while dying' .

The sheriff is outraged , his deputy is outraged , and indeed the whole town is outraged . That's because the sheriff is respected locally and also because he is dying due to cancer . But that is not going to deter Mildred Hayes ( Frances McDormand ) . When the local priest tries to coerce her into removing the billboards , he gets blasted off by a tirade by her about churchmen screwing altar boys . The leftists' opponent ( the church ) thus gets a lambasting , and God is brushed aside as nonexistent .

Earlier when deputy Dixon ( Sam Rockwell ) of the police station tries to get Mildred remove the billboards , he is shown his place by Mildred with taunts of being a black hating racist . From this point one has to assume that the rapists of her daughter must be white , even though they are not yet found ( and are not ever found in the movie ) . For it is obvious from the movie's tone that it is going to be politically correct and that demands a white rapist . Sure enough , a white suspect is found but he is not the daughter's rapist . Never mind , Mildred and deputy Dixon then set out to kill him instead because the deputy has overheard him boasting about a rape when drunk .

Participation in this killing is part of the redemption of Deputy Dixon ; redemption for being a black hating racist . We have to presume that he is racist due to verbal accusations flung on him mostly by Mildred . But scenes of him actually practising this racism are not really shown . That would have tarnished his image beyond redemption . But his violence is shown in a scene where he throws the guy who owns the billboards from the first floor after he has heard news that Sheriff Willoughby committed suicide by shooting himself by a gun .

At first we definitely sympathise with Mildred while seeing the movie . The lady is feisty and has tough words for anyone who tries to strike a verbal duel with her , or even anyone who doesn't . The dialogues in the movie are sharp and laced with dark humour that keeps in splits even in grim situations . But later her persona goes out of control by burning down the police station with petrol bombs after it has closed down in evening . She does not know that Dixon is there , but he escapes only to help her later even though he has got burns on his face due to the attack .

The director could have chosen to have a conventional ending by showing the man overheard boasting about rape as the real culprit . But the real culprit is never found , and the movie is thus about the effects of the rape on a very active mother and how she manages to shake up things in her town when she does not get justice .

There is some violence in the movie and foul language ; cuss words are regularly used . There is no denying that the proceedings are gripping . Background music and photography are decent , but it is in acting and dialogue delivery that the movie scores .

Verdict---Good .

Three stars out of five .

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Angel-likeDevil-Swetha-

return_to_hades IF-Sizzlerz
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 26 February 2018 at 10:31am | IP Logged
Newton
To be honest, I'm a bit underwhelmed by the movie. I think the movie was so hyped up and built up that I had unrealistic sky-high expectations. 

Newton is a well-made movie. It displays a lot of restraint for a Bollywood flick. A tight screenplay, an intriguing storyline, some well-etched characters and plenty of subtle humor. It sheds light on a pervasive problem in India without getting too preachy. 

Rajkumar Rao is delightful as Newton, the hilariously uptight and rigid government official. His honesty is refreshing but it also makes a great case for the necessity of pragmatism. Pankaj Tripathi captures the screen as Aatma Singh the reluctant army man tasked with guarding Newton. 

Although one character that stuck with me is the underappreciated Malko, played by Anjali Patil. She's such a subtle character. She sees Newton and Aatma Singh head locked in a battle of ideologies. Each man sticking to his sense of principles and duty. But sadly each of them is completely oblivious to the needs of the common man they claim to be serving. 

On the whole, this is a good film. It really made me think about democracy in India. Despite best intents, we are failing to serve our rural and tribal community. Yet the film is a bit overrated in my opinion. The downfall to me is the quality of humor. It needed some more sharpness. It should have been more in your face. Some moments are too straightforward that they dilute the effect of the satire. 

Sharknado 5

A film about tornadoes full of sharks has finally jumped the shark!

Sharknado 1 and 2 became cult classics as an homage to bad sci-fi flicks of the fifties and sixties. Despite the ridiculous nature, the flicks had a sharpness and didn't take itself seriously. 

But the cult fame has messed with the brains of the makers. Now they are concocting too many ridiculous plotlines to run the franchise. 

Its terrible. 

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

Himalaya10Angel-likeDevil-Swetha-

BiraSaysWhaddup IF-Sizzlerz
BiraSaysWhaddup
BiraSaysWhaddup

Posted: 27 February 2018 at 3:31am | IP Logged
Padmaavat

Barring the Ekta Kapoor melodrama ending, I liked Bajirao Mastani. For, all its creative liberties, Bhansali delivered something. The dance sequences were stunning. Padmaavat though is just dull and boring. The opening scene where Deepika jumps around in the forest, is so stupid. The war scenes, if I can call them that, are plain lazy. The music is dull, the visuals are tiring third time around. Deepika, Shahid and Aditi just look lost. 

And the Malik Kafur character is so badly written and played, he looks like he belongs to the world of Karan Johar.

I can see why Ranveer is being praised though. This time he has no script nor a character like Bajirao. Allaudin is a caricature at best and probably would have been unintentionally hilarious with any other actor. But he takes that and owns every scene. Ranveer is literally the only reason to watch this film.

Aiyaary 

They tried, they tried really hard to make a smart film. But this film needed a better editor so bad. Nearly an hour of its never ending run time could have been chopped and it would have made no difference to the plot. In fact it would have been more interesting, if everything was not being force fed to us. 

Naseerudin Shah and Anupam Kher are both a delight and make me miss the non-gimmicky Neeraj Pandey of a Wednesday or to an extent Special 26. Siddharth is boring. Manoj Bajpayee is typecasted.

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

Himalaya10-Betty--allizwell-Angel-likeDevil-Swetha-

BiraSaysWhaddup IF-Sizzlerz
BiraSaysWhaddup
BiraSaysWhaddup

Posted: 27 February 2018 at 3:39am | IP Logged
Tiger Zinda Hai

Boy, this film is  a delight ROFL
Salman can't find any worthy opponents in India, so he went and defeated the cinema equivalent of ISIS alone ROFLROFL

It is just brilliant. It's the epitome of so bad it is awesome. Like with Katrina's scenes, you get an attempt at doing well shot and good action. But then next second you have Salman LOL

Burn victim Salman Khan walks into a hospital taken over by ISIS. He is burnt, yet he walks in straight and stares the boss in the eye, cuz Salman Bhai LOL

The leader of this in-universe ISIS  decides to play a bond like villain

Salman Khan uses his shirt to cover his mouth so he doesn't die of poisonous gas ROFL

Salman Khan is so nice, he will fight wolves with his bare hands so he doesn't kill them, infact he pets them. ROFL

And then the great Salman Khan adopts this kid who was a suicide bomber, because Salman is humanity. Humanity is Salman ROFL

Though there are some real surprises in the film. The characterization of the head of this fake ISIS is very very well done for a Bollywood film, let alone a Salman film. Katrina's action sequences, particularly Noor are also very well shot for typical Bollywood nonsense.

In a way, it really was the next step in the evolution of Salman Khan films

The following 11 member(s) liked the above post:

tvsucksHimalaya10Elvis12MrsChandlerBing-Betty-aish.-allizwell-Angel-likeDevil.Mishh007.NestleToulouse-Swetha-

ilovecrepes IF-Sizzlerz
ilovecrepes
ilovecrepes

Posted: 27 February 2018 at 12:54pm | IP Logged
Sadma
A painful fantasy as R Balki called it. 

I'm still in sadma zone. 

Beautifully painful, just like Lootera
Angel-likeDevil IF-Stunnerz
Angel-likeDevil
Angel-likeDevil

Posted: 28 February 2018 at 1:16pm | IP Logged
Only Yesterday

Just finished watching it, the ending was so emotional, as the lovely ending song begins and 10 year-old Taeko along with her classmates appear in the train and keep following, supporting Taeko.. 

I'm personally very obsessed with my school days, class fellows, childhood and lol.. this movie took me by surprise, I have never watched a movie like this.. (the  theme of a grown up woman still being haunted by memories of school, school friends, childhood)

So many range of things in this movie - all that one can relate to, it was lovely to watch. You see this movie in Japanese culture, but at the back of your mind, the reel of your own films of your childhood start playing :) I cannot put into words what this movie did to me.

MUSIC in this movie was excellent and a surprise factor... the very first minute had my full attention because of the music, it was really beautiful

And another musical piece during Taeko's journey in the farmlands.. and many other songs, some that were typical of the 60s-70s.. one of the best soundtracks ever:)

The procedure involving production of dye from safflower was nicely presented.. the way anime present their culture or traditional crafts is always inspiring. Speaking of which, I love how the characters constantly talk about city-life and countryside, and even speak of occupation, think of future, of agriculture and make life choices.. Safflower is also beautiful, this movie is educational too!

Lovely direction.. some scenes were so good, simple and beautiful, words fall short. My favorite scene is that scene "rainy or cloudy or sunny? which one do you like?" ..and then the boy turns around, runs and throws a ball up in the air, and then Taeko turns, runs and flies and swims and the scene shifts to adult Taeko is repeating those lines and giggling on her bed :D 

Image result for only yesterday gif

Loved the animation, especially of the inanimate... also, the first time I saw lightning in an anime movie that was strikingly beautiful.. 

I loved Toshio's voice actor.. one of the most liveliest voices in an anime! The voice chemistry between both Toshio and Taeko was good :p 

Sometimes when Toshio and Taeko were talking, it felt like I was watching NHK world, where a couple are showing about the countryside and commenting on life in the countryside.. 

The trains in which Taeko travelled were also impressive O_O ..as well as that cable-car-type ride, which is only as wide as a seat without anything to hold onto but the pole connecting to the cable or something - looked unique/scary/wonderful! 

This movie has everything - childhood, school, parents, siblings, grandparents, traditional crafts, urban-rural divide issue, love, weight of our past, music that we associate with certain phases of life, everything!

Speaking of which, I loved that little conversation between Taeko-Toshio about how 'encouraging' music was back when they were kids.. 

I'm not able to write much because of sleepiness, but loved this movie so much. Want to watch it again.. 

Will end this rambling with this beautiful song

Edited by Angel-likeDevil - 28 February 2018 at 1:26pm

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

Himalaya10Hazardous--L--

..Rosepie.. IF-Rockerz
..Rosepie..
..Rosepie..

Shakti Astitva Ke Ehsaas Kii Banner Contest Winner

Posted: 01 March 2018 at 2:21am | IP Logged
Veeray ki wedding 
I enjoyed it's songs special Mind blowing 

Go to top