Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 6 years ago
Newton
To be honest, I'm a bit underwhelmed by the movie. I think the movie was so hyped up and built up that I had unrealistic sky-high expectations. 

Newton is a well-made movie. It displays a lot of restraint for a Bollywood flick. A tight screenplay, an intriguing storyline, some well-etched characters and plenty of subtle humor. It sheds light on a pervasive problem in India without getting too preachy. 

Rajkumar Rao is delightful as Newton, the hilariously uptight and rigid government official. His honesty is refreshing but it also makes a great case for the necessity of pragmatism. Pankaj Tripathi captures the screen as Aatma Singh the reluctant army man tasked with guarding Newton. 

Although one character that stuck with me is the underappreciated Malko, played by Anjali Patil. She's such a subtle character. She sees Newton and Aatma Singh head locked in a battle of ideologies. Each man sticking to his sense of principles and duty. But sadly each of them is completely oblivious to the needs of the common man they claim to be serving. 

On the whole, this is a good film. It really made me think about democracy in India. Despite best intents, we are failing to serve our rural and tribal community. Yet the film is a bit overrated in my opinion. The downfall to me is the quality of humor. It needed some more sharpness. It should have been more in your face. Some moments are too straightforward that they dilute the effect of the satire. 

Sharknado 5

A film about tornadoes full of sharks has finally jumped the shark!

Sharknado 1 and 2 became cult classics as an homage to bad sci-fi flicks of the fifties and sixties. Despite the ridiculous nature, the flicks had a sharpness and didn't take itself seriously. 

But the cult fame has messed with the brains of the makers. Now they are concocting too many ridiculous plotlines to run the franchise. 

Its terrible. 
MostlyHarmIess thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Padmaavat

Barring the Ekta Kapoor melodrama ending, I liked Bajirao Mastani. For, all its creative liberties, Bhansali delivered something. The dance sequences were stunning. Padmaavat though is just dull and boring. The opening scene where Deepika jumps around in the forest, is so stupid. The war scenes, if I can call them that, are plain lazy. The music is dull, the visuals are tiring third time around. Deepika, Shahid and Aditi just look lost. 

And the Malik Kafur character is so badly written and played, he looks like he belongs to the world of Karan Johar.

I can see why Ranveer is being praised though. This time he has no script nor a character like Bajirao. Allaudin is a caricature at best and probably would have been unintentionally hilarious with any other actor. But he takes that and owns every scene. Ranveer is literally the only reason to watch this film.

Aiyaary 

They tried, they tried really hard to make a smart film. But this film needed a better editor so bad. Nearly an hour of its never ending run time could have been chopped and it would have made no difference to the plot. In fact it would have been more interesting, if everything was not being force fed to us. 

Naseerudin Shah and Anupam Kher are both a delight and make me miss the non-gimmicky Neeraj Pandey of a Wednesday or to an extent Special 26. Siddharth is boring. Manoj Bajpayee is typecasted.

MostlyHarmIess thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Tiger Zinda Hai

Boy, this film is  a delight ðŸ¤£
Salman can't find any worthy opponents in India, so he went and defeated the cinema equivalent of ISIS alone ðŸ¤£ðŸ¤£

It is just brilliant. It's the epitome of so bad it is awesome. Like with Katrina's scenes, you get an attempt at doing well shot and good action. But then next second you have Salman ðŸ˜†

Burn victim Salman Khan walks into a hospital taken over by ISIS. He is burnt, yet he walks in straight and stares the boss in the eye, cuz Salman Bhai ðŸ˜†

The leader of this in-universe ISIS  decides to play a bond like villain

Salman Khan uses his shirt to cover his mouth so he doesn't die of poisonous gas ðŸ¤£

Salman Khan is so nice, he will fight wolves with his bare hands so he doesn't kill them, infact he pets them. ðŸ¤£

And then the great Salman Khan adopts this kid who was a suicide bomber, because Salman is humanity. Humanity is Salman ðŸ¤£

Though there are some real surprises in the film. The characterization of the head of this fake ISIS is very very well done for a Bollywood film, let alone a Salman film. Katrina's action sequences, particularly Noor are also very well shot for typical Bollywood nonsense.

In a way, it really was the next step in the evolution of Salman Khan films
DanceUntilWeDie thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Sadma
A painful fantasy as R Balki called it. 

I'm still in sadma zone. 

Beautifully painful, just like Lootera
Angel-likeDevil thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Only Yesterday

Just finished watching it, the ending was so emotional, as the lovely ending song begins and 10 year-old Taeko along with her classmates appear in the train and keep following, supporting Taeko.. 

I'm personally very obsessed with my school days, class fellows, childhood and lol.. this movie took me by surprise, I have never watched a movie like this.. (the  theme of a grown up woman still being haunted by memories of school, school friends, childhood)

So many range of things in this movie - all that one can relate to, it was lovely to watch. You see this movie in Japanese culture, but at the back of your mind, the reel of your own films of your childhood start playing :) I cannot put into words what this movie did to me.

MUSIC in this movie was excellent and a surprise factor... the very first minute had my full attention because of the music, it was really beautiful

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogy5JVextNA[/YOUTUBE]

And another musical piece during Taeko's journey in the farmlands.. and many other songs, some that were typical of the 60s-70s.. one of the best soundtracks ever:)

The procedure involving production of dye from safflower was nicely presented.. the way anime present their culture or traditional crafts is always inspiring. Speaking of which, I love how the characters constantly talk about city-life and countryside, and even speak of occupation, think of future, of agriculture and make life choices.. Safflower is also beautiful, this movie is educational too!

Lovely direction.. some scenes were so good, simple and beautiful, words fall short. My favorite scene is that scene "rainy or cloudy or sunny? which one do you like?" ..and then the boy turns around, runs and throws a ball up in the air, and then Taeko turns, runs and flies and swims and the scene shifts to adult Taeko is repeating those lines and giggling on her bed :D 

Image result for only yesterday gif

Loved the animation, especially of the inanimate... also, the first time I saw lightning in an anime movie that was strikingly beautiful.. 

I loved Toshio's voice actor.. one of the most liveliest voices in an anime! The voice chemistry between both Toshio and Taeko was good :p 

Sometimes when Toshio and Taeko were talking, it felt like I was watching NHK world, where a couple are showing about the countryside and commenting on life in the countryside.. 

The trains in which Taeko travelled were also impressive O_O ..as well as that cable-car-type ride, which is only as wide as a seat without anything to hold onto but the pole connecting to the cable or something - looked unique/scary/wonderful! 

This movie has everything - childhood, school, parents, siblings, grandparents, traditional crafts, urban-rural divide issue, love, weight of our past, music that we associate with certain phases of life, everything!

Speaking of which, I loved that little conversation between Taeko-Toshio about how 'encouraging' music was back when they were kids.. 

I'm not able to write much because of sleepiness, but loved this movie so much. Want to watch it again.. 

Will end this rambling with this beautiful song

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu7Dw4NJmY4[/YOUTUBE]
Edited by Angel-likeDevil - 6 years ago
agreatwcr thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 8 Thumbnail + 6
Veeray ki wedding 
I enjoyed it's songs special Mind blowing 
The Tale of Princess Kaguya

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOMKTdxJlm8[/YOUTUBE]

^^a beautiful song from the movie. When this scene begins in the movie, and as you watch it, you feel so nostalgic and some warm feelings, which only shows the director's skill. 

What can I say about this movie... I think I watched one hour of the film for a long long time.. right from the moment the movie began, kept replaying so much because I was awe-struck by the beauty of the animation, beauty captured in the story.. IDK what animation or what they did, but this movie is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen

Right from the first scene, every scene in this movie is beautiful - both in story, animation, presentation, feel, music, everything.. 

Loved the mother, she's such a beautiful character.. The way she's understanding and comforts Kaguya despite not understanding her complex situation. The father too.. reminded of our own parents who have an idea of happiness that they form because of societal conditioning and act only out of a trust that their idea will truly bring us happiness. They're so innocent, both mother and father.. they both love her so much..  

Societal conditioning in city-life is strongly juxtaposed against carefree raw beauty of country side in this movie.. won't go into that sad dimension of our lives but I didn't know that other cultures also had 'coming-off-age' ceremonies like in India.

But I love how this anime or characters don't blame the society and rather through Kaguya says that all people, birds, bugs, beasts, plants, flowers - they all see happiness and grief in all different shades and that, Earth isn't impure.. 

My most favorite scene is the scene where baby Kaguya takes her first steps as her father cheers on, and she walks towards him, he is so overjoyed in tears.. one of the most emotional scenes ever. 

A lot of scenes were beautiful... this entire movie, every scene was beautiful. I can say much, but words really make no sense, especially my incoherent ones :p ..this movie should be experienced, it is a fairytale.. and will end this post with this piece of music played in the end when Buddha, fairies, moon people descend to Earth to take Princess away with them, this scene was beautifully sad, the music made for a great movie watching experience, felt magical, real, sad, happy - 

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtFCNu9x1IQ[/YOUTUBE]

L.. yaar, arigatooo ðŸ˜ƒ 

S_H_Y thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Originally posted by: Angel-likeDevil

The Tale of Princess Kaguya

L.. yaar, arigatooo ðŸ˜ƒ 

So given a chance would you be at homie Buddha place where no suffering exist or you would like to earth to feel pain and trouble ?
Originally posted by: --L--

So given a chance would you be at homie Buddha place where no suffering exist or you would like to earth to feel pain and trouble ?

:D had to think for a while about this.. hmm.. 

Earth... but I am curious about moon too. So, IDK to be honest. 

A place without suffering seems unreal, unattainable.. I believe as long as I am alive, no matter where I am, I will suffer, because it's a flavor of life that somehow I feel I must taste. But not complaining, although I may cry over it :)

Plus, don't want to sound masochistic, but I have been through pain, both physical and emotional/whatever - and they are transcending.  

And, my parents are here, again, don't want to sound melodramatic but, I die for the little moments of love I have with them, and sometimes feel like literally dying because of some other moments I have with them.

The extremes of feelings that I got so far in life, is beautiful.. not that I want to suffer or enjoy suffering, but when they come to me, surely, suffering/torture did something more than I can put in words. Hard to explain... my feelings about God play bigger role in this entire thing.

However, after writing all this and thinking further, IDK about a life with no suffering, so much so, I almost feel like it's unreal - so I am curious. Can't desire it or reject it..

In conclusion - anywhere I guess, but I am attached to Earth but also curious about moon.. :p

Sorry if it is confusing.

You say ðŸ˜ƒ
There's a scene in the movie L, Kaguya explains how a lady on the moon would to sing that "birds, bugs, beasts" song, and would cry.. although she had completely forgotten about Earth. And Kaguya was moved by her singing.. 
Sometimes in life, we feel down without any reason, absolutely no reasons that our conscious mind can perceive of, so, people on Moon must have some sort of suffering of their own.. maybe of varying degrees or kinds..