Viraj SS:Refrain|Ch 12+Epilogue,Pg 21| A/N-Pg 22

Syahi thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 8 years ago

Banner credits:-Koeli_Appy-

All his life he had yearned for family. Now, he had it.
All his life he wanted to be loved. His parents loved him more than life itself.
True, he had lost his first love but he had received much more.
Life was pretty close to perfect.
Yet he was scared of losing that perfection.
He was scared of becoming stagnant.
He was scared that he was too old to start afresh and too young to retire.
'What next?' he asked himself.
"Now," said a voice, "We learn refrain. We see the beauty in repetition and then we refrain from repeating. We do things new and return to the old."
Viraj had no idea what that voice meant, which he found strange considering he was thirty.
What that voice meant, he wanted to know.
What that voice meant he would learn soon.

-***-

I'm carrying over from this.
Part 1-7: Scroll down.
Part 8 onwards:Pg 13

Edited by Syahi - 8 years ago

DO NOT COPY THIS POST AS THIS IS EXCLUSIVE TO INDIA FORUMS

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Syahi thumbnail

-1-

"Kabir has been so stubborn right from his childhood! I remember, when he was ten, he had a fight because his friend said chicken is better than paneer! " Vasundhara told a very amused Gangwal family. Kabir blushed while Nisha pulled his cheek playfully.

It was Anhad's house-warming party.  For nearly a year after Vasundhara and Anhad's marriage they had stayed in a rented house. Anhad's house was being renovated. Viraj had personally seen to the garden. The garden he thought to be paradise.

It was in this garden that Viraj was currently seated, cross legged. He looked around admiring the fairy lights draped on the house and how the lights reflected off the flowers.

"W-w-what are you doing outside?"

Viraj sighed. Trying to escape the realisation that I'm a social misfit. "I could ask you the same thing."

"I'm here because you're here." Anhad smiled.

Viraj chuckled. "I like you, you know" Then shrugging, "I make the Gangwals uncomfortable" The Gangwals make me uncomfortable.

"Don't change the topic. You're jealous of Kabir, aren't you?" Anhad pressed on.

"No." Yes. Ma has no stories of my childhood. No one has any stories of my childhood.

Anhad tilted his head in rebuke.

Viraj looked away. "I see her so happy with them and I think... has she missed me as much as I've missed her? All I remember of my life is waiting for her."

"Beta... W-we w-were trying to hold on, they, to let go. It's natural."

"She almost did, didn't she?"

"You know w-w-why."Anhad chided.

I thought everything will fall into place when I finally meet her. But I can't connect. There are times when I want to argue with her. But I'm scared of arguing. I can't... There are times when I want to lay my head in her lap and cry or just sleep, or just listen to her lullaby... but I'm embarrassed. It doesn't feel natural. I want her to scold me like a mother but when she does I'm hurt.

"Don't you feel left out?" Viraj asked, deciding to keep his insecurities to himself.

"I have no expectations from her."

"I meant, with regard to Kabir."

"I have no expectations from him either." Anhad chuckled. "He's smart you know. Finds his space like w-w-water..."

Unlike me.

"Hey Dad!" Kabir suddenly plopped down next to Anhad. "Hey bade bhaiyya." He said, a little less cheerfully.

Viraj smiled politely. "You guys have fun. I'll be leaving.. Long day at work."

"I'll drop you."Kabir immediately stood up.

Viraj couldn't find a polite way to refuse when-"I'll drop him." Anhad intervened.

"Ok, dad. Bye. Good night."

"Good night Kabir."

Anhad insisted on tucking Viraj in and playing him a tune on his baansuri. Reluctantly, Viraj agreed. When Viraj had finally slept, Anhad sighed to himself. As much as they tried, Viraj would always be a man with a lonely childhood. Successful, loved, resilient. Yet his childhood would remain so...

As if to confirm this sad conclusion, Anhad found a few words scribbled on a stick-it pad.

"It is no circle
No retrieval of what has been lost
No compensation for all that it cost

It is no circle."

A/N- Light blue :Viraj's thoughts.
Darker blue: Viraj's words

Edited by -Saraswati- - 8 years ago
Syahi thumbnail

-2-

Viraj went to Anhad's place early morning, next day. He was welcomed by birds chirping and Anhad's baansuri. 
Viraj breathed in the fragrance of his favourite garden. He shut his eyes to enjoy the peace.

As the sun climbed up the horizon, Vasundhara stepped out. Her eyes fell on Viraj. He was watering the plants with such concentration that her presence went unnoticed, until-
"Good morning beta!"

Viraj smiled at her. " 'Morning, Ma. You're up early."

"I didn't sleep well."

"Why's that?" I did. You should have asked Kanha Uncle to play to you.

"I was wondering what you wrote in those postcards."

Viraj froze.

"Postcards? Nisha..." He took a deep breath so he wouldn't explode.

"Yes, but how I found out is irrelevant."

"No, it is very relevant. NISHA!"

A groggy Nisha came down. "Yes, Sir?"

Sir? Not comfortable with bhaiya or jethji, are we?
"Exactly when did I make you the sole proprietor of my life?"

"What?" Then Nisha's eyes fell on Vasundhara who had her eyes squeezed shut in helplessness.
"She's your mother. She deserves to know."

"I decide what anyone deserves to know about me."

"What's the matter?" Kabir walked in, confused.

"Your wife is unable to resist her urge to advertise my life's troubles."

"What now?" Kabir groaned.

"So you don't think I have a right to know what you've been like all these years." Vasundhara said, the steel in her eyes layered by tears.

"I think you should ask me directly if you want to know anything. It may have escaped your notice, but Nisha, of all the people doesn't understand me at all.  I'd rather that you don't base your ideas of me on her opinions."

Anhad then entered, his baansuri still in hand.
"Whether you like it or not, you have chosen to give up on him. I don't know what makes you think you'll understand him." He said coldly.

Vasundhara looked at him in disbelief. For a few moments, an eerie quiet enveloped the room. All were shocked at Anhad's brutal allegation.

"I didn't say that." Viraj quietly said.

Vasundhara looked gratified. "Beta, I'm sorry. I'll say it as many times as needed. I'm not giving up. I thought..."

You thought I didn't mind Nisha. Sadly, I do. I mind anyone who claims to know or understand me. No one does. They should stop trying to own me. Nisha moved on. She should stop bothering with my life now. Nothing to do with her. 
I'm just sick of being assumed about."Do you really have the patience?"

"Try me." Vasundhara pulled him into a bear hug-The "Ma" kind of hug. Viraj was stiff, unsure. Yet, when she held on for a while despite his slight attempts to move away... he stopped feeling thirty.
"Talk to me. I'll listen." Vasundhara lightly kissed his forehead.

"So, Kabir w-w-what's your plan? Are you joining in for the fusion act?" Anhad asked calmly, shocking everyone again. Viraj narrowed his eyes at Anhad as he realised how perfectly timed the allegation had been.

"I'm not interested." Kabir replied, nonchalantly, irking Viraj.
"Maybe you can start paying your own rent. Not interested." Anhad said wrily.

"What happened to 'no expectations'?" Viraj asked in a low voice.

"I changed my mind." Anhad winked. "Sorry." He whispered, even as Vasundhara pursed her lips.

I trust you Kanha uncle. Never lie to me. Because I'll believe you.

Anhad squeezed Viraj's shoulder lightly before proceeding for breakfast.

I trust the liar's honesty,
I still believe, because he knows I do
Trust his lies and truths, he knew.
I trust the liar's honesty.

Syahi thumbnail
-3-

On another of his early morning visits to his parent's home, Viraj entered to hear Anhad's flute notes intermingling with the landline's ring. He rushed in to attend the call so it wouldn't wake anyone up or disturb Anhad.

"Hello?"

"Guruji?" A mellifluent yet thick voice enquired. There was a very slight American tinge to her speech.

What?!

"Wrong number." Viraj disconnected the call. He sprawled out on the sofa, allowing Anhad's melody to percolate into his being.
Five minutes on, the landline rang again.

"Wrong number!" Viraj snapped before the caller could speak.
"No. No. This is Anhad Anand's number right?" 

"You said Guruji..." Viraj began sheepishly. You are calling at the wrong time disturbing his riyaaz and my dose of his music.

"He is my Guruji! I mean, not technically... But yeah, he's taught me a lot and that's what I call him. Anyway can you take a message?"

"Yes?"

"Tell him his Tabla-vaadak will be there day after." Tabla? You're joking... A girl... Wow! How?

"You there?" The voice asked unsurely.

"Yes, yes. Sure. May I know who's calling?"

There was a snort. Not a giggle, a snort. "Finally. Aasavari here, I'm assuming you must be his son."

"Yes. Wait. I'm the other son." Kabir is the technical son...

"How do you know which one I think you are?" She asked. 

"I... Uhhh..."

"Viraj Singh Rathore?" She offered, the smile in her voice obvious.

You know me! "Yes. I'll pass on the message."

That evening, as Viraj was driving Vasundhara home, she asked- "How come you're comfortable with Anhad?"

Viraj shrugged. Maybe because he understands without being patronizing. I'm sure he won't mind if I tell him that he doesn't understand. He just... Let's me be sometimes.

"Why don't you move in with us?" Vasundhara asked.

Move in? With you, I can. With Nisha and Kabir... Not possible. Awkward.

"Ma, I... Need my space. I like it this way. Spending the mornings there, having some solitude at night... This is perfect."

"I'd like to spend more time with you. " Vasundhara sighed. 

"Shouldn't you be spending evenings and nights with Kanha uncle?" Viraj remarked, smirking.

"Viraj! I'm your mother." Vasundhara chided.

"I'm thirty. I know where babies come from." Viraj was still not smiling fully, unsure if Vasundhara would put up with such jokes.

"Yes, Viraj." Vasundhara said sweetly. "You're thirty. I think you should start making babies now, since you obviously know how..." Vasundhara cocked an eyebrow at him. 

"You're home." Viraj pointed out. As Vasundhara, stepped out she said, "I wonder when you will be."

My existence matters.
A stranger's mere acknowledgement
A mother's indignant astonishment

My existence matters.

Syahi thumbnail

-4-

When Anhad took Viraj along to pick Aasavari from the airport, Viraj didn't know what to expect. When he saw her, he wondered why he was taken aback.

Aasavari was dark. Her cream spaghetti straps contrasted against her smooth skin. Standing tall at 5 feet nine inches, her simple jeans and top embraced her boldly feminine figure. Yet, she wouldn't fit the stereotypical female definition. She definitely didn't look petite. She carried her luggage with such ease that no male would have the confidence to insist when she refused his assistance. Her wildly bushy hair looked like it would break free of the band constraining it any moment.

Viraj chuckled, wondering what her hair would look like, then.

Hold on, now I get it. I expected her to be in a sari or at least Indian... Tabla-vaadak... Guruji... oh. She doesn't make any sense...

"Hi Viraj!" She greeted in a tone befitting a long lost friend and gave him a warm hug.

"Hi Miss Aa-" "Miss?! No Miss-Shizz please. Call me Ri." She beamed.

"OK." He smiled back. Ri. Aren't you being a little too familiar?

Soon he would find out why and he probably wouldn't like it.

That evening, Viraj joined his family on Anhad's request. Afterall, they did have a guest.

At dinner, Viraj remembered how Aasavari had immediately recognised him. "So... how did you recognise me?" He asked quietly while Nisha and Kabir bickered about Kabir's dance dreams.

"Well, Guruji... and the internet." She answered between mouthfuls.

"Oh." Kanha Uncle told her about me. What about me?

"So, should I be worried about what he told you?" He urged her on.

"Well, he told me how you've grown up to be a very very strong man and how you still have the innocence you did as a kid. About how amazingly you've been managing alone. All those years apart and yet...Man, he loves you! He actually quit his job after your butler died,you know. Came running!" She said obviously impressed by Anhad's unadulterated love for his son.

So, it wasn't Nisha who told him I'm Viraj. He knew. All along. He pretended. All along. Why hide? Manipulate... that too so well. He knew all those years. No contact. Nothing. He could have found me... when I was paralysed... Now, it's like he's my guardian angel. How convenient. How stupid of me.

Viraj lifted his eyes to Anhad who was seated at the head of the table, conversing with Vasundhara. On catching his eye, Anhad beamed at him. Not paradise.

"Good night everyone. Have a good time" Viraj abruptly got up to leave.

Anhad got up to walk him out. "Don't bother. I'm good." As good as I can be. Maybe I don't deserve honest people. I should grow up. This is what the world is. "Thanks." For the experience.

Sores give way to calluses

Unfeeling, comfortable nearly

Those I cherish dearly

Give  fresh sores, give way to calluses.

Syahi thumbnail

-5-

The next morning, Viraj resolved to stay in bed until it was time for Lakshya. His body clock had tuned itself to Anhad's riyaaz timings. When he awoke at the said hour, he stay put urging himself to go back to sleep. In fact, he did manage to fall into a disturbed stupor.

Anhad played a morning raga with a serene smile playing on his lips. Wait, that's not a smile, he's just controlling his notes. I thought he was looking at me. Kanha Uncle! I'm here!

Viraj took a step forward.

He kicking his foot upon the bed, waking himself up. He realised that the tune wasn't a part of his dream. He could here Bhairav being played. On peeping out, he saw Anhad outside in the Lakshya grounds seated cross-legged playing the Raga. He rushed down.

"What?" he demanded.

"You're late. I thought you needed a wake up call so I came here instead." Anhad answered preparing to blow into the baansuri again.

"I have an alarm clock. Thank you very much."

"I have no idea w-w-what's going on underneath that perfect mop of yours but you're angry. I intend to find out w-w-why."

Because you're a liar. "Your intentions are irrelevant. After the huge amount of information you've decided to hide... I couldn't care less about your intentions."

Anhad finally placed his flute down. But I liked the tune. So attuned to my state of mind. Awakening, thought provoking.

"In college they asked me to pronounce V-v-v-viv-v-vidhh Bharti. How funny! Hilarious."

What?!

"You w-w-anted the whole story. Now-ww you have to listen."

Obediently Viraj sat cross legged next to him. I'm curious. That's all.That. Is. All.

"Your parents didn't find it funny. Pitied me, I think. Maybe not. But they w-w-were good to me. Unlike those guys who thought it w-w-was funny to close the holes in my baansuri... Stuttering again, huh?.."

Of course my parents were not like that. Why are you telling me this?

"Then you w-w-were born. It w-w-was as if.. as if there w-w-as no problem w-w-ith me. Didn't ev-ven notice. You actually looked upto me. At least I felt special. Good boy. I w-w-anted to... be your... Dad. You w-w-were the only person who'd listen to my baansuri. W-when I made a tune I thought of a little kid... Dhara w-w-was my inspiration... you... evvverything."

That much? I was that important...

"And then... you w-w-were gone.They packed me off to the US. Music w-w-wouldn't come to me the same w-w-way...I started drinking. Heav-v-ily.

Then, many years later... I saw you. On T-v-v-V.  Handsome young man. Happy. Not like me. I thought..."

"What?"

"I thought you'd look for me."

I forgot. Hold on, you were supposed to look for me.

"You forgot me probably. You had been my inspiration for music. The only w-w-one who'd actually w-want to listen and it w-w-was as if..." Anhad snapped his fingers." I realised that I had been considering my self-worth on the basis of a kid's assessment. W-w-what would I say if I met you? That I w-w-wanted to be your father? I'd lov-v-e to be your father."

That is so selfish.

"Still, I thought of meeting you after your accident. Guess w-w-what, I didn't have enough money. I drank it all off. I called. Shyam Singh said you didn't need me. I believ-vved him, easily. Tried to kill myself."

He didn't know. "How convenient. Pass on the blame." Viraj remarked.Hold on. Kill yourself?! No!

Anhad blinked. "I went to rehab. I think, when you w-w-were undergoing physiotherapy... You know the rest."

"Why did you have to hide all this?"

"You didn't ev-v-en recognise me. I thought I could make a fresh start. I wanted you to be proud of me."

"You thought I was that shallow?" You don't trust me.

"You didn't remember me. I tried to remind you. I didn't know w-w-w-what you w-w-were. You w-w-were suicidal. W-w-hy w-would you w-w-want a man fresh out of rehab around... as your guardian..."

"Father, you mean." We're more similar than I thought.

Anhad struggled to keep his eyes from overflowing. " I didn't mean to lie to you... I just... I.. you're my son... I..."

"Do you know why I still call you Kanha Uncle?"

Anhad shook his head.

"Because...that.." He pointed at Anhad's baansuri and then continued, " and because no one else calls you that. You're only my Kanha Uncle...Why tell me everything now, though?"

"Because I w-w-want to be your Kanha Uncle."

He's scarred, too,beautiful though

He too has his story, his own struggles, lows

Sees 'em reflect in me, that is how he knows

He scarred, too, beautiful though.

Syahi thumbnail

-6-

The next day, Viraj was welcomed by Anhad's flute accompanied by Aasavari's tabla beats. For the first time, Kabir, Nisha and Vasundhara were awake, too, albeit reluctantly.

For about an hour Viraj didn't bother with them. He sat back enjoying his daily dose of music. However, when the impromptu jugalbandi crossed an hour, he looked up to see restless faces.

"What Ma?"

"It's just..." Vasundhara looked away.

"We could sleep through a flute melody, not percussion." Kabir completed sheepishly.

You slept through bliss. How are we even related?

"I'll speak to him."

"Kanha Uncle..."

"Yes, beta?"

"Maybe, you guys can practice at my place... you know I'll be out all day, there'll be no one to disturb you... I'll bring you back in the evening..." Sorry, that's the most diplomatic I can be.

Anhad gave him a knowing smile while his eyes flitted to Vasundhara. She blushed in embarrassment.

"Okay."

That evening when Viraj went to pick them up from his house, Aasavari narrowed her eyes at him.

"You play the drums?!" She charged, more than questioned.

"Yes. So?" Oh, right we're both percussionists... except I'm not, I'm a shooter.

"So, you didn't tell me!" Again she charged.

"There isn't much that I have told you." Or that you have told me.

"I'll tell you what, let's go out some time, just the two of us." She offered with a grin.

"Let's take Kabir and Nisha too." I did not just say that. Sh**.

"I thought w-w-we w-w-were going home?" Anhad reminded, an eyebrow raised.

When they got home Kabir seemed genuinely grateful to Viraj for making arrangements. After all, Kabir, too, needed his space. It was especially difficult to dance with reverberating music unsuited to one's routine. Politely, Kabir left the last bit of Paneer for Viraj. Viraj smirked.

Maybe I wasn't an idiot for inviting you along.

I, too, have a place

Holding it together, perhaps, the keystone

Added late, yet important alone

I, too, have a place.

Syahi thumbnail

-7-

The next day,  Viraj entered Anhad's house to hera his solo baansuri. Perhaps, Aasavari had realised that her tabla would disturb the inhabitants. Sure enough, he saw Aasavari in the garden watering the plants quietly. Somehow, she seemed to fit in. For a change, she was clad in an ill-fitted white kurta and patiala.

Lovely. Won't you say something?

As though in reply, she put her finger to her lips. Then she tapped her ear. This is the time to listen, she seemed to say.

Viraj smiled at her and proceeded to Anhad and Vasundhara's room . Vasundhara was still asleep. Stray strands of hair kissed her face. She looked tired.

You haven't changed that much. He tucked the strands behind her ear lightly. Then, delving into his pocket he produced a bundle of postcards. Carefully, he placed it half tucked under her pillow.

That day, the cook didn't turn up. Hence Nisha and Aasavari took on the task of preparing breakfast. Fiasco, would be a mild word for what ensued. Let's just say Anhad's household had labelled spice-boxes then on.

Vasundhara didn't turn up for nearly an hour. When Nisha offered to go check, Viraj stopped her.

"I'll go."

There she was seated on her bedside, clutching a few postcards. Tears stained her face even as fresh pearls dropped down.

"This is why I didn't share it with you." Viraj wiped her tears gently.

"You write so well." She said, with what sounding like a hybrid of a laugh and a sob.

"I had this amazing teacher when I was in Upper KG. She taught me how to write to my father. Made me feel better then and later. A certain Vasundhara..."

She let out a half-sob again.

"I thought this was your way, that I was getting through to you."

"I thought you'd forget me as you grew up."

"I thought you'd already forgotten. At times I wondered if I had imagined you... the way traces were erased. I thought you were a dream. "

Vasundhara looked away.

"Turns out you're true." Viraj added with a smile.

Vasundhara linked her arm with his, "My little boy has grown up so."

"Your little boy... and your other little boy need breakfast. Will you come help us?" Viraj asked with a grin.

Breakfast was a lavish affair that day. Vasundhara made a point to include everyone's favourite dishes. Also, it turned out that Nisha and Aasavari were much better at assisting than they had been at preparing the dishes themselves.

"I thought  you would have been more choosy in your food Viraj! Chaat? Really? I thought you'd be like... Continental, French...etc., etc... ," Aasavari said incredulously.

Ah, you don't know me.

"Actually, when Viraj was 4, Sasurji's foreign visitors were dining with us once. One of them asked him what cuisine he liked best. First, Viraj asked what cuisine meant. When explained, he answered, What Ma makes.' Always been a simple kid." Vasundhara narrated. Anhad, Kabir, Nisha and Aasavari giggled trying to imagine a little Viraj.

You remember that.Viraj blinked a few times.  "It's still true, by the way."

In the evening, when Viraj was returning from work with Vasundhara, she teased, "How come you're all going out with Aasavari but you've never taken me anywhere?"

"Hold on, Aasavari and Anhad must be at my place right?! I forgot to.."

"Anhad had called his driver. They're home. Look at you, all worried!" She giggled.

Viraj raised an eyebrow at her. "Let's deal with that complaint,Ma."

"What? I was joking."

"I'm not."

"I'd thought of keeping this a surprise, but, well... here you go."

Viraj had brought her to an empty, newly constructed building. He produced a small booklet and handed it to her. You're going to like it.

She flipped through the booklet. It carried plans for exhibits of Rifles on the ground floor, a simulated shooting arcade on the second and a mini-auditorium on the third.

"What is this beta?"

"Investment, actually, we have sponsors too, but I've put in some as well... We'll open it for visitors. The laymen. That way, we'll earn from the tickets, people will get to know about shooting and maybe, just maybe, we'll get more kids interested too!"

"What's the auditorium for?"

"For inviting national and international shooters for lec-dems."

"And how long have you been planning this?" Vasundhara asked, her eyes twinkling.

" Ever since I decided that I'm going to live." Since I dropped the idea of suicide, since I found Anhad, since I found you.

A little boy dreams
Today  of a toy, then the moon
Could someday be true, later or soon
A little boy dreams.

Syahi thumbnail
Updated. This is a sequel(sort of), of my 3S issues.
Vrushika321 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Interesting start.
Eager to read more