Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

SoreThumb thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 8 years ago
Originally posted by: rogerrocks

Oh i totally know what you mean..He is just so effortlessly natural & nonchalant onscreen, its a shame he has been away for so long..The reviews of Roy were quite disturbing tbh..Ranbir never really got such scathing reviews post Wake Up Sid..He was always praised for his performance so to think that he looked like a zombie was very disturbing πŸ˜†   I cant wait to watch this Ranbir onscreen..When he wants to, he can be really good..So yeah, hoping for the best πŸ˜†

Roy was a disaster and ranbir sleep walked through the movie.. I dunno what he was thinking while shooting for the movie..maybe the fact that both jacky and rampal are wooden added to his laziness but thats no excuse..it was almost after  one and half years that a movie with him in a substantial role was releasing..and he acts like a zombie..such a disappointment esp when one knows he has potential
I am just so glad that he has worked hard for BV and is getting praised.
I would love for the movie to work but that seems a hard task, but at least he scored and anushka too
rogerrocks thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Originally posted by: SoreThumb

Roy was a disaster and ranbir sleep walked through the movie.. I dunno what he was thinking while shooting for the movie..maybe the fact that both jacky and rampal are wooden added to his laziness but thats no excuse..it was almost after  one and half years that a movie with him in a substantial role was releasing..and he acts like a zombie..such a disappointment esp when one knows he has potential
I am just so glad that he has worked hard for BV and is getting praised.
I would love for the movie to work but that seems a hard task, but at least he scored and anushka too

He looked like he was forced to shoot at gun point πŸ˜†  Cos Ranbir is the kinda guy who can rise above a flawed script and/ a wooden co-star..Case in point is Rockstar πŸ˜†  So i was really surprised that he looked & acted like a zombie..Even in a film like Barfi where PC was bloody brilliant ( and IMO she had the more challenging role), i couldn't take my eyes off Ranbir..He is that good..Am just hoping i see that Ranbir in BV..I really want BV to do well but worst case scenario, if the film doesn't score, i really hope his performance is praised..The least we can expect πŸ˜†
Scorpio_Velvet thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: princessunara

Just asking. What does a pov kinda like this might mean? He doesn't go around ass licking right? 

Nana Patekar @NanaPatekarHere    

Such A Great Movie #BombayVelvet ..Excellent Work Dear @karanjohar ,,,@AnushkaSharma,,,#RanbirKapoor And @TheVivaanShah ..

ps: I am just fishing..

Yea, but he's also an art house kinda guy. Bound to like such movies. Will have to wait and see how general audience accept it. 
hedwig_fawkes thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

He looked like he was forced to shoot at gun point πŸ˜†  Cos Ranbir is the kinda guy who can rise above a flawed script and/ a wooden co-star..Case in point is Rockstar πŸ˜†  So i was really surprised that he looked & acted like a zombie..Even in a film like Barfi where PC was bloody brilliant ( and IMO she had the more challenging role), i couldn't take my eyes off Ranbir..He is that good..Am just hoping i see that Ranbir in BV..I really want BV to do well but worst case scenario, if the film doesn't score, i really hope his performance is praised..The least we can expect πŸ˜†

I think Ranbir is also really influenced by his director. He has a personal connect with Imtiaz and Anurag pushed him a lot in this role (getting him drunk and all). He will deliver if his director cares. Like I thought he was awful in AA because clearly Sid Anand dgaf.
Edited by hedwig_fawkes - 8 years ago
SoreThumb thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail

[

@ bold: Which is why it was disappointing to see him like a zombie in Roy..the story was twisted and complicated but at least on paper he has a workable character 

@red: fingers crossed
rogerrocks thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Originally posted by: hedwig_fawkes

I think Ranbir is also really influenced by his director. He has a personal connect with Imtiaz and Anurag pushed him a lot in this role (getting him drunk and all). He will deliver if his director cares. Like I thought he was awful in AA because clearly Sid Anand dgaf.

Which is quite surprising..Cos i always thought Ranbir is not the kinda guy who relies on his director..Meaning he can perform well either ways..Unlike say a Kareena who needs a good director to extract the best from her..Guess not..Besharam & Roy cleared my misconception πŸ˜†

P.S. More than anything, i still feel Ranbir does well if he relates to the character & is convinced by the script..
Edited by rogerrocks - 8 years ago
Scorpio_Velvet thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: hedwig_fawkes

I remember him saying he sleepwalks through the role if he feels things are not going well. That's one thing he'd like to change about himself. Said it during Masand's roundtable with Aamir, Irfan and Nawaz in 2012. I was wondering which film he was talking about. Guess it was AA. Haven't seen it yet.πŸ˜ƒ

Edited by Scorpio_Velvet - 8 years ago
MostlyHarmIess thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Acting being praised
Weren't Ranbir and Anushka's souls dead or something? πŸ˜²
dietcoke1 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Salilacharya @Salilacharya  

Good things come in long and bug packages #bombayvelvet takes u into a forgotten world and u teliah very moment

Intriguing at times .. Tad long at times but u do fall in the love with world the detailing #bombayvelvet

Yes #ranbirkapoor is brilliant #karanjohar #satydeep all woven in wonderfully #bombayvelvet ..

Just wish the film had been tighter , i quite enjoyed the over indulgence hindi phillum style #bombayvelvet

ohh and how can i forget @AnushkaSharma controlled tender and vulnerable at times .. works well for #bombayvelvet

mann how freakkin good does #ranbirkapoor look in #bombayvelvet .. just superrr and @karanjohar points out fabulously .. luv his laugh #ace

And yes i dnt say it often enough @CastingChhabra gets the #cast pat .. Every single acene actor is worth his salt #bombayvelvet

MissMalini @MissMalini  

Full review coming soon but for my Twitter peeps #bombayvelvet gets 4 **** from @TeamMissMalini! So good to see entertaining period drama :)

MissMalini @MissMalini  

Also @RanbirKapoorFC you will get double your money watching #ranbirkapoor in #bombayvelvet #Godfathervibe. I really liked it @_prithwish_!

MissMalini @MissMalini  

A little happy, a little heartbroken after watching #bombayvelvet... good job @anuragkashyap72! @AnushkaSharma @foxstarhindi @karanjohar --- i guess she means theres a sad ending

Nana Patekar @NanaPatekarHere  

Such A Great Movie #bombayvelvet ..Excellent Work Dear @karanjohar ,,,@AnushkaSharma ,,,#ranbirkapoor And @TheVivaanShah ..

Siddhartha Basu @babubasu  

#bombayvelvet, grand passion of @anuragkashyap72, is magnificently mounted film noir, a romantic thriller with a global feel & v desi heart

Avinash Lohana @AvinashLohana  

#bombayvelvet a gritty love story crafted in an intoxicating long lost era, the money invested can b seen seen on screen @anuragkashyap72

Urvi Parikh @filmykiida  

@filmykiida Ranbir is perfect as Johnny Balraj. Anushka the jazz singer is cute. Dhadam Dhadam scene is my favorite.

maanvi gagroo @maanvigagroo  

Big round of applause and cheers to the man with a vision @anuragkashyap72 #bombayvelvet is your must watch this weekend!

maanvi gagroo @maanvigagroo  

@AnushkaSharma is delightful and @karanjohar has simply nailed kaizad khambatta. What a rock solid ensemble!

dietcoke1 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Bombay Velvet movie review: Relive the bygone 'Bombay' amid Ranbir-Anushka's enigmatic romance

IndiaTvNews

What is the story?

Street fighter Johnny Balraj (Ranbir Kapoor) dreams of becoming a big shot, to achieve this ambition Kaizaad Khambatta (Karan Johar) helps him. Rosie (Anushka Sharma) is a jazz singer who is wooed by Johnny. Soon Johnny realises that he is just a trump card for Khambatta, and other big entrepreneurs are using him for their big projects in the city. So what will Johnny do now? Watch Bombay Velvet to know it all.

What works for the movie?

Anurag Kashyap undoubtedly is one of the finest directors Bollywood has and the manner in which he shifts gears swiftly; no doubt he is conquering Indian cinema.

Through Bombay Velvet, he transports you to the bygone era of 1950's and 60's that is encapsulated with great finesse.

It's a gripping tale, courtesy to the detailing in costume, set design, makeup, the body language, the language and of course, the jazz. It's not just a love story neither is just about the lust for power and supremacy. It's about Mumbai, (then called Bombay) that saw itself transforming into a metropolitan marred by greedy collusion between governments and corporate.

Stars - Ranbir Kapoor, Anushka Sharma, Karan Johar, Kay Kay Menon

Director- Anurag Kashyap

Music- Amit Trivedi

The greed here has overpowered the vision while people's needs are used as an excuse to grab land or to build structures. Kashyap, known for giving intricate details about whatever he gets his hand on once again excels in it.

Not for a second, you will realise that it's Sri Lanka where most of the film is outlined and shot. It's sheer art and is intoxicating.

What makes the lightings and the other settings more erotic is the chemistry between Ranbir and Anushka.

The couple comes as a breath of fresh air in the flick. Their love is passionate while their hatred too intense.

Ranbir Kapoor shows traits of his great grand father Raj Kapoor, but that is just for them who wants to make any resemblance out of him. Ranbir is just himself. He accelerates the character of Balraj with his extraordinary act that would be cherished by the audience for sure.

Anushka Sharma as a jazz singer is lovable. She is every man's dream lady and she indeed manages to prove that beautifully.

The surprise package of the star cast of Bombay Velvet is Karan Johar. As Khambatha, Johar makes an extraordinary acting debut. More than his dialogues, it's his expression that leaves us awe-struck.

Satyadeep Mishra as Balraj's friend too leaves a mark.

What spoils the mood?

It's sad that the entire aura of classified sets and brilliant performances are brought down by its weak narration, while the screenplay and dialogues are too cliche. Anurag in his Gang of Wasseypur narrated the story that travelled post India's Independence to the current timeline without creating any stereotypes in the movie. Here, his characters and even sequences are more inspired from the 70's film arena. Also there are many loose threads, which remain untied till the end.

Final Verdict-

Depsite these few flaws, Bombay Velvet can be watched for Ranbir-Anushka's sizzling chemistry amidst drastically transforming Bombay into Mumbai. Also be ready for Karan Johar's surprise act.