Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

BOMBAY VELVET BO collections and REVIEWS

Meherbaan thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 8 years ago

We were lucky enough to see a preview of Bombay Velvet last night. I went in skeptical because when you have such a large canvas, it's easy to fall in love with it and forget the story. While I've always been a fan of Anurag Kashyap, I didn't particularly like the lengthy, self-obsessed GoW. So I had even more reason to believe that Bombay Velvet would be a big, expensive, arty drag. I'm glad I was comprehensively wrong. We thoroughly enjoyed it.

The attention to detail is near-obsessive (the trams and buildings are all fine but look out for match-sticks, cigarettes and a many more, smaller, things). The production design is mental. I thought this would come at the cost of the story but thankfully they've kept things tight. No meaningless diversions and just enough focus on the story and characters in and around Bombay Velvet - the exclusive gentleman's club circa 1969. And all the characters have done a fantastic job.

I was so sure the movie would drag, but it's got just the right pace, the right moodiness, the right pauses. Full marks for editing, although I'm sure people will still crib about pacing. Also, our idiot "Interval" culture will needlessly break the movie in two halves. At the preview, we had a very brief interval (piss-break!) and I thought we could have gone for one straight, uninterrupted screening.

I thought it was a Bombay movie, a noir, crime thriller. My wife thought it was a love story and come to think of it, I agree with her because this is about Ranbir-Anushka. The lead pair is in almost every frame and they totally own the movie. I'd go out on a limb and say that Anushka was much better here than the completely underwhelming NH10. I was always a fan of Ranbir Kapoor and this would easily be one of his best performances.

I think this is the largest movie Anurag Kashyap has made and I think he's pulled it off. Everyone's put a lot of heart and soul in this movie and I really hope it succeeds. Watch out for the VT-BMC building shot at the start. Watch out for the music, the costumes, the cameos, the tram...Actually f**k it, there's too much to look out for and I doubt you'll do justice in just one screening. The movie has 16 Assistant Directors and they don't even mention that in this 'making-of Bombay Velvet' video. There's really a lot to see and much more to like in this brilliant movie.

https://www.facebook.com/anupam.gupta/posts/10155563869280323

Edited by Meherbaan - 8 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Meherbaan thumbnail

The ass licking from the industry has already started ๐Ÿ˜†
kunal kohli @kunalkohli  1 t.1 time siden

Just saw #BombayVelvet @karanjohar is BRILLIANT. Ranbir as always unmissable. Take a bow @anuragkashyap72. Labour of love & hard work.

kunal kohli @kunalkohli  1 t.1 time siden

Anoushka Sharma,KK Mennon, fantastic.The art direction. Every little detail has been looked into. Excellent recreation of the 60's

Ryan M. Stephen @ryanmstephen  1 t.1 time siden

Oooh! #BombayVelvet is such a delicious noir! Transports you to another era in Bombay! Stunningly shot! Loved it!

@karanjohar is the cold, menacing, new villain to watch out for! So stylish & suave! He reminds me of the fabulous Pran! He's spectacular!

Ranbir Kapoor reminds you of heroes of yore. Chip of the old block @chintskap ! Ranbir's brilliant! What a performance! #BombayVelvet

Sonam Nair @chink_ster  57 min.57 minutter siden

Johnny Balraj is the sexiest character in Indian cinema. Doesn't hurt that the genius Ranbir Kapoor plays him! #BombayVelvet

Sonam Nair @chink_ster  54 min.54 minutter siden

Stumped by @karanjohar's deadly performance. Such nuance and depth, I actually got goosebumps in one scene! Loved his look too#BombayVelvet

Shaan @mesopystic  1 t.1 time siden

#BombayVelvet is a modern classic. Its in the history books @anuragkashyap72. Ranbir Kapoor makes you breath Johnny Balraj. Outstanding.

Shaan @mesopystic  1 t.1 time siden

Every department is phenomenal. The writing, the acting, the technical finesse. What composition! What music! What KJo!! #BombayVelvet

Kalki Koechlin @kalkikanmani  8 t.8 timer siden

#BombayVelvet years later will b named a classic, next week it'll b the film that puts @anuragkashyap72 in the list of most wanted directors

Kalki Koechlin @kalkikanmani  7 t.7 timer siden

#BombayVelvet RK steals the show, among brill actors, @AnushkaSharma sings her heart out, the Jazz is wacky, the world so stylish, go cinema

Monica Dogra @Shaair  17 t.17 timer siden

Just a heads up #BombayVelvet is amazing. @anuragkashyap72 you managed to take me to a million different emotional spaces throughout. '

Monica Dogra @Shaair  17 t.17 timer siden

Might I add, that performances by @ANUSHKASHARMAA & #RanbirKapoor were incredibly fresh, deep, and layered. I'd never say, if I didn't mean!

Masaba Gupta @MasabaG  

Saw Bombay Velvet last night.Indian cinema has not seen a film with such grandeur,flawless performances & smooth direction EVER. Cntd...

Meherbaan thumbnail
Mihir has watched it, he wrote this!
Mihir Fadnavis @mihirfadnavis  15 t.15 timer siden

I can now talk about Bombay Velvet. The Dhadaam Dhadaam' scene on the big screen is worth the trip to the theatre.

Meherbaan thumbnail
Raghuvendra Singh @raghuvendras  14 t.14 timer siden

#BombayVelvet is not just a film,it's masterclass of cinema.It's one of the best films ever made in hindi cinema.Salute to @anuragkashyap72

#RanbirKapoor is at his best in #BombayVelvet. Never seen before. @anuragkashyap72 has taken him on another level. He is just too good.

After #Nh10 @AnushkaSharma has given another memorable performance in #BombayVelvet @karanjohar surprises wid his acting talent.you are fab!

One can't forget @satyadeepmisra and @TheVivaanShah's amazing performances.These are jaan of #BombayVelvet.Don't miss this film at any cost!

Anurag Kashyap, his team at @FuhSePhantom & @foxstarhindi take a bow. You guys have created a history with #BombayVelvet. Congratulations!

Meherbaan thumbnail
Archita Kashyap @architakashyap  17 t.17 timer siden

#BombayVelvet Brilliant watch, beautiful times & performances etched in memory forever- kudos Ranbir Kapoor, Karan Johar & entire cast!

Archita Kashyap @architakashyap  17 t.17 timer siden

#BombayVelvet Watch it to know how many dreams, hopes & common people were buried by greed & avarice to build this overpopulated gilded city

briahna thumbnail
oh nooo i wanted scorpio velvet to do the honors! bad meherbaan...bad bad bad.
๐Ÿ˜›
Meherbaan thumbnail

tejaswini @TejuKolhapure  

Only Kashyap can think out of the box . Very tastefully done film ,a first for Indian cinema ! #BombayVelvet

Anupam Gupta @b50  

Hope Bombay Velvet works though. I can already see anticipate some cribs. But doesn't matter. The movie is awesome.

Anupam Gupta @b50  

I thought Anurag Kashyap wouldn't be able to pull this off but totally glad to be proven wrong. Bombay Velvet is up there among his bests.

Anupam Gupta @b50  

Great to see Bombay Velvet maintain a seriously high standard on product design and attention to period detail. Well done @FuhSePhantom

Anupam Gupta @b50  

(Corrected) Totally enjoyed Bombay Velvet. Stunning looks, just beautiful, tight story. Ranbir-Anushka totally own the movie.

Anupam Gupta @b50  

I'll get booed for saying this but what the heck: Anushka (Bombay Velvet) > Anushka (NH10)

Anupam Gupta @b50  14 t.14 timer siden

Quite liked how all the Bombay Velvet characters (Sid Basu, Manish Chaudhuri,KK) fit the overall story. Good to see Vivan Shah again!

Anupam Gupta @b50  11 t.11 timer siden

Byomkesh and Bombay Velvet have taken production design to another level. The bar is pretty high now. Looking for who raises it next.

briahna thumbnail
Originally posted by: Meherbaan

Mihir has watched it, he wrote this!

Mihir Fadnavis @mihirfadnavis  15 t.15 timer siden

I can now talk about Bombay Velvet. The Dhadaam Dhadaam' scene on the big screen is worth the trip to the theatre.

been saying this all along...watchout for dhadaam dhadaam..๐Ÿ˜›
Meherbaan thumbnail
Originally posted by: briahna

oh nooo i wanted scorpio velvet to do the honors! bad meherbaan...bad bad bad.

๐Ÿ˜›

Scorpio doesn't mind at all, doesn't matter who creates it, we both are excited for bombay velvet and will make sure all reviews are posted ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
Whenever there is any film screening, they all praise it to sky whether the film is good or bad.