Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

spashta-wakta thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 8 years ago
Here are 4 puzzles of varying degrees of difficulty:

1.1: There are 4 people who are to cross a bridge. The bridge can hold a max of 2 persons at a time and since it is night, they need to carry a lamp with them to cross. They have just 1 lamp between them and they individually take 1, 2, 7 & 10 mins to cross the bridge alone.
    What's the least amount of time they need to cross the bridge? (Hint: It's not 21 mins!)

1.2: Two ladders form a rough X in a narrow alley. They are 11 
and 13 feet long and cross 4 feet off the ground. 
How wide is the alley ?                    
|\/|_
|/\|4
-----

1.3 Can you tell ?
Dad wants 1-cent, 2-cent, 3-cent, 5-cent and 10-cent stamps. He wants
4 each of two sorts and 3 each of the others, but I forget which. He
gave me some dimes (10-cent coins) which are just enough to buy them.
Can you tell how many stamps of each type he wants ?

1.4 The Dating Game
Sally and Sue want to date Sam. The 3 live on the same street, with
house numbers from 1 to 99. Sally asks Sam, "Is your house number a
perfect square ?". He answers. Then she asks, "Is it > 50 ?". He
answers again. Sally thinks she now knows where Sam lives and visits
that house, only to find she is wrong. This is because Sam answered
only the 2nd question truthfully.
Unaware of this conversation, Sue asked Sam, "Is your house number a
perfect cube ?". He answers. Then she asks, "Is it > 25 ?". He
answers. Sue thinks she knows where Sam lives and visits that house,
only to find she is wrong. Again, this is because Sam answered only
the 2nd question truthfully.
Sam's house number is less than Sally's or Sue's, and the sum of their
house numbers is a perfect square multiplied by 2. 
What are their house numbers ?
Pooriya thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Omg, so many good posts in last 1-1.5 day.!! keep it up everyone πŸ‘πŸΌ
Mikhkil, Dilip da, anni, neela : I share your love for Kishore da equally.. yep RD & KK was 'bhannat' combo..! Thanx Mishkil for letting us know about songs played DD at the time of KK's death. did not know about it..

Dilip da, though MB is my fav actress, I'm definitely not a blind fan πŸ˜Š So I do agree with you when you say she looks a bit tired ( to play with words, I would rather say, not fresh : P) But I would prefer watching her with SJ than let's say Sai T or Sonalee K etc.. Also, I'm hoping the age factor would disappear when we get to see her acting πŸ˜Š

Mishkil, Nachiket, SW: Yes, there are so many 'middle-aged' actresses in Marathi now. Though, Varsha U, Mrinal K etc. are even older. +1 for Amruta looks more glamorous than MB point..!! (however, I'm not her fan)

SW: Even I liked Spruha in her daily soap roles till now. ( I haven't watched her in any movie yet and did not like her much in Naandi ) but frankly, I'm not sure if she can do a role of rural girl as convincingly as MB did in Agnihotra or Jogwa.. I think Spruha has got intellectual and classy looks.. which makes it difficult for me to imagine her in such roles..  Yet, that's why it'll be interesting to watch her in a 'gaavthi' role for once!

-Zoey- thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Wow,puzzles after a long time.Thanks SW.
I think I solved 1.1 and 1.3,have to try other two at leisure but I am not going to post answers straight away,giving chance to others.πŸ˜‰
anni80 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: spashta-wakta

Here are 4 puzzles of varying degrees of difficulty:

1.1: There are 4 people who are to cross a bridge. The bridge can hold a max of 2 persons at a time and since it is night, they need to carry a lamp with them to cross. They have just 1 lamp between them and they individually take 1, 2, 7 & 10 mins to cross the bridge alone.
    What's the least amount of time they need to cross the bridge? (Hint: It's not 21 mins!)

1.2: Two ladders form a rough X in a narrow alley. They are 11 
and 13 feet long and cross 4 feet off the ground. 
How wide is the alley ?                    
|\/|_
|/\|4
-----

1.3 Can you tell ?
Dad wants 1-cent, 2-cent, 3-cent, 5-cent and 10-cent stamps. He wants
4 each of two sorts and 3 each of the others, but I forget which. He
gave me some dimes (10-cent coins) which are just enough to buy them.
Can you tell how many stamps of each type he wants ?

1.4 The Dating Game
Sally and Sue want to date Sam. The 3 live on the same street, with
house numbers from 1 to 99. Sally asks Sam, "Is your house number a
perfect square ?". He answers. Then she asks, "Is it > 50 ?". He
answers again. Sally thinks she now knows where Sam lives and visits
that house, only to find she is wrong. This is because Sam answered
only the 2nd question truthfully.
Unaware of this conversation, Sue asked Sam, "Is your house number a
perfect cube ?". He answers. Then she asks, "Is it > 25 ?". He
answers. Sue thinks she knows where Sam lives and visits that house,
only to find she is wrong. Again, this is because Sam answered only
the 2nd question truthfully.
Sam's house number is less than Sally's or Sue's, and the sum of their
house numbers is a perfect square multiplied by 2. 
What are their house numbers ?

thanks SW for providing food to my brain as tomorrow i will b travelling... train madhe time pass tevadhach..

If i succeed in solving any one of them i will pm u...

anni80 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: dlip

@Bold -

Neela, Anni; ata vishay nighalach aahe tar maze hi 2-cents ... about similar 'cultural shock' to me!

Ekda Hyderbad sathi mazi pahate 6-chi flight hoti. Airport la mi sadharan pane 5AM paochalo. Security chek karun boarding gate javal yeun basalo. Samor chya seat war ek 20-22 varshachi mulagi '50 Shades of Grey' waachat hoti. 

Pahate 5 wajta, 50 -shades of gray? Maze ajoba pahate uthun 'vishnu-sahsranaam' mhanayache, maze wadil 5 la uthun, dev-puja karun office-sathi train pakdayala dhavache, mi sudha kadhi ekdacha wimanat jaun bastoy ani 'zop' continue kartoy yachi waat baghat hoto!

Ani '50-shades' ase 'ughad-pane' wachayache? Aamhi collge madhe astana 'Chandrakant Kakodkar' sudha gharat kuni nastana (chorun) wachayacho. Ani 'library' madhun 'Kakodkara-che pustak anayache mhanje kon 'tension'. Kuni pahile tar? Ashya weli librariry-madhun bindhast-pane pustak magun  ananaraa maza mitra mala khup daring-baaj (aatachya bhashet - Dabung) watatayacha. Amha mulanchi hi awastha ... tar (mazya mate)... ase puastak library-madhun ananari kuni mulagi bahuda astit-tva-tach nasavi (tya kali)!

'Kaalay tasmai na maha' hech khare (jata-jata ... amchya ghari-sudha '50 shades' kon gheun ale? tar aamchi kanya!. Ha, ata tine te pustak ase 'public' madhe wachalay ka te matra mala mahit nahiye)

PS- Jya 'tarun' forum-friends na 'Chandrakant kakodkar kon he mahit nastil tar tyanchya-sathi mahiti - 
Chandrakant kakodkar he 70 madhale ek 'mills and boon' type 'marathi novels' paadnare lekhak hote. Tyanchya novels (tya-welchya manane) barya-paik 'descriptive' asat ...(about romance I meanπŸ˜‰). Ani tya 'openly wachane mhanje ...  You can ask your parents or Grand parents, who was 'Chandrakant Kakodkar' and observe the reaction/ response!

Now, if I look back and think; those 'descriptions' were like 'Varan-Bhat'... rather 'dal ani tandul' in today's perspective

Dilip da i was about to fall from chair when u said 50 shades of grey on airport in the morning... πŸ˜²

yess i know chandrakant kakodkar... I hv read many kadambaries of Suresh Vaidya and of course SuShi during my school and college days as my sister and cousin bro were members of the library... there were many like yogini joglekar, somebody having name vaijayanti... i forgot her surname... may be kale... ck was there, for horror narayan dharap was there...

If i am not mistaken some baba kadam was also there... right???

But i loved Suresh Vaidya's and SuShi's novels the most...

@BOLD πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£ so true...
dlip thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
SW, good to get puzzles after many days. πŸ‘πŸΌ

BTW, this reminded me one PJ on WhatsApp-

SANTA in IIT exam:

Que. solve Sin x = 6n

SANTA cancelled "n" from both sides and proved Six=6...

at the end he added a note: Don't ask such silly Que. Please maintain IIT exam standards..
mishkil88 thumbnail
SW : answer to 1.1 is 17 and 1.4 is 55,64,81 under certain assumptions.
Nachiketj thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
Today is the birthday of our forum friend- Mishkil. Please wish him on this special thread created for his special day πŸ˜Š

.Neela. thumbnail
Originally posted by: spashta-wakta

Misc comments:

1. CHYD featured just 2 persons on Monday (Rima, Ashwini Bhave) and for a change, they didn't make fun of their names or misidentify them. The class of comedy seemed better too. Hope Nilesh Sable has taken criticism constructively.

@Red: Is that sarcasm at its best??!!!πŸ˜•πŸ˜• πŸ˜†

I so did not like that FULL 15 mins of BS!!!!!!!!!!😑😑  I mean W*H was that?? Why were there songs made on both of them?  SW, perhaps you were surfing other sports channel when the BS was onπŸ˜•

Only Shreya's was the best πŸ‘ Rima was trying hard to show that she was being entertained and Nilesh...he better get rid of that transgender act on the show.  The only relief there was Sagar Karande was not in that role. And the same questions to both...why??  Rima has acted in so many stage shows over the years, there could have been some brainy questions there.  But again this is a drastically downgraded version of Comedy Nights with Kapil.  

This is still my most favorite interview of Ashwini BHave & U know who...!!!😳  They look so good in this interview. 

I am willing to ignore all of Avadhoot Gupte CRAPPY remix creations for this interview and some other good ones in the KTG seasons.
.Neela. thumbnail
For all the Spruha fans on the forum :  Interview Dr. Anand Nadkarni on 19th October 2014 at Acharya Atre Rangmandir, Kalyan - perhaps this was telecast on some channel.  Such a down to earth person she is - indeed a multi  faceted personality β­οΈ