Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Pooriya thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 8 years ago
Originally posted by: -Zoey-

Hehe Vidya, what can I do reg puzzles? SW had said he will ask every week, Sonali, Anni were also about to ask some but the enthusiasm faded away so early. I like to answer or try to solve it only. 😉

I didn't imagine people really enjoyed solving 😉 so I stopped.. But as there seems to be real big interest in puzzles, here are two which are relatively easier. I'll try to improve the level gradually :D

1. You want to send a valuable object to a friend securely. You have a box which can be fitted with multiple locks, and you have several locks and their corresponding keys. However, your friend does not have any keys to your locks, and if you send a key in an unlocked box, the key could be copied en route. How can you and your friend send the object securely?

2. Four switches can be turned on or off. One is the lightswitch for the incandescent overhead light in the next room, which is initially off, but you don't know which. The other three switches do nothing. From the room with the switches in it, you can't see whether the light in the next room is turned on or off. You may flip the switches as often and as many times as you like, but once you enter the next room to check on the light, you must be able to say which switch controls the light without flipping the switches any further. (And you can't open the door without entering, either!) How can you determine which switch controls the light?

chalo, chalo solve karo 😃

and request SW, to start his thread of puzzles again!!
Edited by Pooriya - 8 years ago
DanceUntilWeDie thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Kartiki g is one of those faces I feel like slapping when I see
dlip thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: Live2eat

Kartiki g is one of those faces I feel like slapping when I see

Why the above name reminds me Vinod Kambali?

IMO, family background and culture does play a major role in upbringing of any individual. 

Elders/ parents in the  family teach (and ensure) to any individual that let the success not go in to his/her head and let failure not frustrate beyond repairs. 
-Zoey- thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: Pooriya

I didn't imagine people really enjoyed solving 😉 so I stopped.. But as there seems to be real big interest in puzzles, here are two which are relatively easier. I'll try to improve the level gradually :D

Hey Sonali,thanks!And you are calling them relatively easier 😕 ...waise answer pata ho to every puzzle is easy.😆
Btw,I couldn't crack first one,nothing is striking there except 'multiple locks' term is very imp.Let's see what others say else give some hint pls.

I could partly solve second one.😭...I think two times entry in next room should be allowed.
Logic...If we turn on incandescent light for some time,it feels hot when we touch it.
Suppose switches are 1,2,3,4.Now turn on 1 &2 simultaneously for some time and then turn off.
Now turn on 3rd switch and go and check in next room.
If light is ON,you are lucky.If it is OFF,have to check it by touching it.If light is not HOT then 4th switch controls light.BUT If it is HOT either 1 or 2 controls it.
Now we want another entry in that room so that we can check out of 1 and 2 which one controls light.

Basantii thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
@Mishkil and Anni
http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4375464&TPN=14
mishkil88 thumbnail
Originally posted by: Basantii

@Mishkil and Anni

http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4375464&TPN=14

Ok Basanti - so u r also from Thane !. Nice to know that.
Basantii thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Salil Kulkarni is 42 and Arya is 20. Another Rajesh Khanna- Dimple?
Another but similar story, Shaheed Kapoor also marrying a Delhiite 20 yr old..

They have all gone full on MAD.

@ Mishkil, Thane is in the blood ! ❤️
Edited by Basantii - 8 years ago
spashta-wakta thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Back from my mini-vacation! I was right and wrong about net access - it was not there at all on two days and on the remaining days, the speed wasn't so good. The travel took a good amount of time too.
As usual, let me reply to/ comment on a few things on the previous pages:
1. Yes, I have been forgetting to post puzzles. Thanks to Pooriya for jump-starting them. Here's a relatively easy one:
    There men wearing hats (X,Y,Z) are standing in a linear queue. The hats have been randomly picked from a set of 2 Black & 3 White hats and placed on their heads, so nobody knows the colour of the hat he is wearing. But since they are standing in a line, Z can see what X & Y are wearing and Y an see what X is wearing. However, X can't see what Y or Z are wearing.
    Each is asked to guess the colour of the hat he is wearing.
Z: Don't know.
Y: Don't know.
X: Then I know.
    What's the colour of the hat X is wearing?

2. The SK-AA news is just a rumour. It became news because SK's marriage is broken and he produced an album 'diwA lAgU de re' featuring only Aarya. She was also invited to sing in ABK 1000 (1000th program of 'AyushyAwar bolU kAhI'). Both of them are acutely aware of these rumours and they have thankfully not affected their professional relationship (she calls him 'Salildada'). BTW, SK is an excellent writer and a very witty, intelligent person (IIRC, he ranked in the merit list(s) with a prize in Marathi and is a medical doctor) though I found him very biased as a judge on SRGMP and 'Gaurav Maharashtracha'. Here's a nice article he wrote, quite possibly in response to the rumours about him & AA:
http://m.loksatta.com/lokrang-news/murmurs-1069435/

3. Great to have Neela back! Good to see new and old friends joining this forum. 

4. I will try to upload photos from our trips to relatively untravelled locations & post the albums.
mishkil88 thumbnail
SW: Thanks for confirming it's just a rumour. The answer is X is wearing black because all (both) white hats must have been infront of his eyes on the heads of Y & Z.
spashta-wakta thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: mishkil88

The answer is X is wearing black because all (both) white hats must have been infront of his eyes on the heads of Y & Z.

You have got the order wrong. They are standing in the order with X in front.
X
Y
Z
So Z can see what X & Y are wearing. Y can see only what X is wearing & X can not see anything.
When asked what colour hat he was wearing:
Z: Don't know.
Y: Don't know.
X: Then I know. 
3 W hats & 2 B hats. What's X wearing? Explain the reasoning.