My thoughts on the show from beginning till now...

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 8 years ago
Hi everyone!!
I haven't been very active on the forum lately, unfortunately :( Don't get much time, but I'm very consistent in watching the show and haven't missed an episode. 
These are my thoughts of Dil Ki Baatein since it has started, till now. It has been a good approximately 2 months, and here are my thoughts by far :)

Initially, before the show started, I assumed it would be a show where a middle class family live together happily, find out that their wife/mom has cancer and does everything possible to save her. She is what keeps the family tied together, and without her the family is absolutely nothing. I thought that they couldn't imagine life without her, and did everything possible to to save her. Eventually, she dies, and the story moves forward presenting how the family struggles without her and the hardships they face. On a brief note, this is what I thought.

When the show aired in March, I thought it started off incredibly. They were on point. The dilemma was shown in the first episode, they didn't take like 20 episodes to let us know that Anu has cancer. They showed it all in the first episode. By the first episode, as an audience, we were shown roughly as to how the characters were and the setting and all those things. The beginning was great. The Jodhpur track definitely had some downs in it, but had some pretty awesome scenes. 

By April, Anu is shown to be in a very serious condition and it was nearly impossible for her to live. These episodes were fantastic. Huge shout-out to everyone during this time of the show, very touching.
Eventually, Anu dies. Very sad, got tears into my eyes definitely. Even still, I did not like how they showed the death of Anu. I mean, she pretty much killed herself. I thought her death would be something due to the fact that her condition worsens drastically and her body cannot function and so she dies. In my opinion, even if someone has many duties and responsibilities, and is only thinking of the well-being of their family, is it really okay to sacrifice their life for it? There's always another option.

So this is where things take a turn into the unrealistic road...
For a decent time, Disha refuses to believe that Ram is the murderer of Anu. Her relationship with Mr. Kapoor was very cold, and to be totally honest, that's the way I like it. 
Then that dumbhead Karan spills out false information, leading the kids to the total wrong direction believing that Ram is the murderer of Anu.
Kids are forced to leave the house.. Now, for god's sake, Karan seems to be living alone. Could he not have taken the responsibility of the children? Being a good friend to Ram, and a sensible adult, the hostel track and roaming around on the streets could've been totally avoided if Karan or any other neighbor take care of Disha and Aaru till Ram can come back.

Hostel track was absolutely ridiculous. Disha was influenced by her classmate, and so she did it. This show does not show a positive thinking on friendship, now does it. 
As expected, that ended very soon, and praise the lords that it did. Imagine if they made it more unrealistic and stretched it along more? Oh god.

Finally, Disha and Aaru move in with the Kapoors, left with no choice. Pankaj Dheer is a phenomenal actor. He really reminds me of my own grandfather. I love this guy. Anyhow, even if Disha believes that Ram is the murderer, at least Aaru doesn't. A bit of hope doesn't hurt. 
A definite improvement seen in Mr. Kapoor's behavior with the both kids. At least he is trying to bond with them. 
When Ram came to visit the kids, holy. That was heart wrenching. All the flashbacks came running through Disha's mind. 
Anyway, Ram is sent to jail and he'd rather stay in jail than live with his children hating him. Aww :(
This guy who lives in the same cell as him, he's a horrible influence. What the hell is wrong with the policemen too?! Drinking in jail? Gross. 
I really hope Ram doesn't develop habits such as drinking or anything like that with the guy who is living with him. God no.

The Ayaan track seems to be fairly good. I don't know his age, but I don't think any type of love connection with form between Ayaan and Disha. At least any time soon. He's definitely going to become one of the lead characters though. 
I'm really curious as to what will happen in tomorrow's episode when Ayaan comes to know about who Ram really is. Will he continue being a lawyer for Ram? Will he talk to Disha about this? Will he talk to Mr. Kapoor about this? Wonder what will happen. 

I thought that this would just be about a single father raising his two kids by himself and all the struggles that they face that so many families face around the world- but it is not recognized. Is this what families really face? Maybe if Disha could listen to what Ram has to say? Gotta say, she's not willing to listen to anyone. 

In a way, it's nice that this show is running 5 times a week. Have some entertainment on Friday now :)

Do leave your comments and thoughts, would love to read them!!
Sanjana :)
Edited by SanjanaS. - 8 years ago
Sanjana,

The story is moving this week, thank God! It kind of got stuck a bit. We have the stubborn Ram who doesn't want legal representation and wants to be pronounced guilty and the persistent Mr Lawyer who is determined to make ram sign the legal consent to represent him because he believes ram is innocent.

Looks like today, Ayaan will come to know the connection between the Kapoor grandkids Disha and Aarav and Ram. Will be interesting to see how ayaan will react...on one side is his belief that ram is innocent and on the other hand, he has promised Mr Kapoor to get him custody of the children. And knowing that ram's wife was Anu whom he was close to as a kid...wonder how this will affect Mr Lawyer's perception that ram is innocent.

Also on the cards. ...how and in what circumstance is ram going to sign the legal consent to be represented in court. There has to be a reason for him to shift from wanting to be convicted to agreeing to let Mr Lawyer fight for his freedom. Perhaps Ayaan will get Aarav to meet Ram...something has to trigger a court case.

5 days a week from this week sounds good. I don't think this show is going to be heavy on the usual masala which comes with its twists and turns. It's going to be one of those shows which just depicts a story without the masala juice. That's why even some melodrama like the children getting kicked out without even Karan taking them in and the hostel track, we couldn't digest.

The story here, is of a man who loved his wife very very much, what decision he had to make for that love and what the repercussions were to him and his family. I don't think it was ever meant to be a story of a single dad and the struggles he and his family face. They had clearly mentioned that it was about a man who hits rock bottom after he had to face what he had to do and who rises from there with the support of his daughter (and son too). Let them keep it simple and moving at a good pace, and finite series please!
Edited by SuganthiS - 8 years ago
Hi,

This is the first time I am posting in this forum but I have consistently watched it from the first episode. Found your post quite thought provoking.

I strictly avoid reading any spoilers for this show, and so I find the story not going in a predictable direction. The only thing that I had read about the show was that, it is going to be a story based on father-daughter relationship.. So I had assumed that after Anu's death, it will be all about Ram and Disha coping with the loss together. But it took totally unexpected turns!!

I agree that the way Anu's death was shown was not very correct.. Even ethically its not a correct thing to kill yourself. Even though she was suffering a lot due to her illness, isn't it very difficult for anyone to accept death this way? Specially for a mother who has such young kids, and who very well knows that her family is going to be totally shattered and broken after her.. Wish they couldn't have shown it this way, but guess it was required to set a stage for future drama.

Ram's character is totally confusing for me. (Hope I am not hurting any fans) He comes across a very weak person, driven by emotions, sometimes foolish emotions. His actions are impulsive most of the times. Under the same influence of emotions he succumbed to Anu's wish.. Commo'n man, its a murder even if it was as per her own consent. How come you didn't think what will happen to your kids if it comes out and you are caught? And then his friend's logic of hiding and he listening to him was totally weird. Overall the character has failed to impress me till now

Nonetheless, I am looking forward to see how the future story takes place.. How Ayaan will handle the conflict, how Ram will convince the world- especially Disha- that it was his and Anu's decision, which direction will Ram and Disha's relationship grow, hope it is handled in a sensible and delicate manner that it deserves!
Originally posted by russhmeSS

Hi,

This is the first time I am posting in this forum but I have consistently watched it from the first episode. Found your post quite thought provoking.

I strictly avoid reading any spoilers for this show, and so I find the story not going in a predictable direction. The only thing that I had read about the show was that, it is going to be a story based on father-daughter relationship.. So I had assumed that after Anu's death, it will be all about Ram and Disha coping with the loss together. But it took totally unexpected turns!!

I also thought that the story will also be about the family coping with the loss together, but this was totally different. Eventually it was clear that nothing would take place, like I thought. 

I agree that the way Anu's death was shown was not very correct.. Even ethically its not a correct thing to kill yourself. Even though she was suffering a lot due to her illness, isn't it very difficult for anyone to accept death this way? Specially for a mother who has such young kids, and who very well knows that her family is going to be totally shattered and broken after her.. Wish they couldn't have shown it this way, but guess it was required to set a stage for future drama.

I did not expect Anu's death to take place like this either. They could have shown her death in a much better way, but this was very hard to believe. Aarav is also still around 7, he cannot live without Anu. There was a slight hope for her to live a little longer, but the way Anu died has brought in a lot of complications (Ram going to jail, Disha despising him and living with Kapoors), and it could have been easily avoided if Anu could've stayed in a bit longer. But of course, facing real facts, deep down I knew that there will be decent amount of unrealistic things shown.

Ram's character is totally confusing for me. (Hope I am not hurting any fans) He comes across a very weak person, driven by emotions, sometimes foolish emotions. His actions are impulsive most of the times. Under the same influence of emotions he succumbed to Anu's wish.. Commo'n man, its a murder even if it was as per her own consent. How come you didn't think what will happen to your kids if it comes out and you are caught? And then his friend's logic of hiding and he listening to him was totally weird. Overall the character has failed to impress me till now  

His personality by far is very confusing, I agree. In a way, I can sort of understand why he's like this. First off, it's been quite some time since Anu's death has taken place. What's still bugging me is why Ram even finally agreed to let Anu die. He obviously didn't give the whole thing full thought. I refuse to believe he murdered her, because he backed out. All he did was push the bed closer to the life support switch, which definitely made it easier for Anu to kill herself- but he didn't do it. He wasn't even a witness during this time. He's given out false information to Karan also, blurting out that he killed Anu. He could've explained what exactly happened because now even Disha or Aarav don't know what exactly happened. But he could've been more strong and he shouldn't have left Anu so quickly. There was still hope for her to stay alive, even if it was a little, there was still hope. 

Nonetheless, I am looking forward to see how the future story takes place.. How Ayaan will handle the conflict, how Ram will convince the world- especially Disha- that it was his and Anu's decision, which direction will Ram and Disha's relationship grow, hope it is handled in a sensible and delicate manner that it deserves!

I agree. Looking forward to what Ayaan will do, and what's going to happen next. 
Edited by SanjanaS. - 8 years ago
Originally posted by SuganthiS

Sanjana,

The story is moving this week, thank God! It kind of got stuck a bit. We have the stubborn Ram who doesn't want legal representation and wants to be pronounced guilty and the persistent Mr Lawyer who is determined to make ram sign the legal consent to represent him because he believes ram is innocent.

Looks like today, Ayaan will come to know the connection between the Kapoor grandkids Disha and Aarav and Ram. Will be interesting to see how ayaan will react...on one side is his belief that ram is innocent and on the other hand, he has promised Mr Kapoor to get him custody of the children. And knowing that ram's wife was Anu whom he was close to as a kid...wonder how this will affect Mr Lawyer's perception that ram is innocent.

Also on the cards. ...how and in what circumstance is ram going to sign the legal consent to be represented in court. There has to be a reason for him to shift from wanting to be convicted to agreeing to let Mr Lawyer fight for his freedom. Perhaps Ayaan will get Aarav to meet Ram...something has to trigger a court case.

5 days a week from this week sounds good. I don't think this show is going to be heavy on the usual masala which comes with its twists and turns. It's going to be one of those shows which just depicts a story without the masala juice. That's why even some melodrama like the children getting kicked out without even Karan taking them in and the hostel track, we couldn't digest.

The story here, is of a man who loved his wife very very much, what decision he had to make for that love and what the repercussions were to him and his family. I don't think it was ever meant to be a story of a single dad and the struggles he and his family face. They had clearly mentioned that it was about a man who hits rock bottom after he had to face what he had to do and who rises from there with the support of his daughter (and son too). Let them keep it simple and moving at a good pace, and finite series please!
This would be a lot better if they just kept it simple. I knew that Ram would totally hit rock bottom, but I had no clue that everyone would think of him as the 'murderer' and he'd go to jail. I thought this was going to be a simple story, but even so, it's going pretty good. It's at a very unpredictable stage, and anything can happen here. Curious to what will happen now. 
Originally posted by SanjanaS.

His personality by far is very confusing, I agree. In a way, I can sort of understand why he's like this. First off, it's been quite some time since Anu's death has taken place. What's still bugging me is why Ram even finally agreed to let Anu die. He obviously didn't give the whole thing full thought. I refuse to believe he murdered her, because he backed out. All he did was push the bed closer to the life support switch, which definitely made it easier for Anu to kill herself- but he didn't do it. He wasn't even a witness during this time. He's given out false information to Karan also, blurting out that he killed Anu. He could've explained what exactly happened because now even Disha or Aarav don't know what exactly happened. But he could've been more strong and he shouldn't have left Anu so quickly. There was still hope for her to stay alive, even if it was a little, there was still hope. 

Sanjana, I didn't exactly mean to say ram murdered Anu. He didn't, but committing suicide is a crime, and so is helping committing suicide or letting someone to commit suicide. I agree with you that Ram didn't give a full thought to the whole thing. And since he had not done that himself, it was quite illogical why he tried to run away from the situation. He could have stayed firm on his stand that he didn't kill Anu.. Don't know how he listened to the stupid advise of his friend 😕

Ram's character acts impulsively since the starting itself. Like during Jodhpur trip, trying to get the Piano without realizing that it can be an offense, sponsoring dinner for everyone present in the hotel when he didn't have enough money to pay the expenses, in all situations he first acts and then thinks about the consequences. 

Edited by russhmeSS - 8 years ago
Great post Sanjana. 👍🏼

This serial.. some parts are silly, some illogical, some cute, some beautiful. It gives so many different emotions, so I am liking this show.

I am just waiting for Ram and the kids to get back together! :)
Originally posted by -Stubborn-

Great post Sanjana. 👍🏼

This serial.. some parts are silly, some illogical, some cute, some beautiful. It gives so many different emotions, so I am liking this show.

I am just waiting for Ram and the kids to get back together! :)
Yes, I agree. So many emotions build up together makes this show fairly good. I also feel that this is what makes the show unique from others..