Posted: 8 years ago

Gabbar Is Back, Bombay Velvet Or Bajrangi Bhaijaan - Which Will Be 2015s 1st 100 Cr Club Movie?

May 14th, 2015 by Koimoi.com Team
  Shares : 19Comments ( 0 )

Bollywood seems to have been in a deep sleep for the first five months of the year. In spite of having decent films in the first quarter, no film has been able to make a remarkable business or touch the golden 100 crore figure. The only time, the Indian box office rattled was when Hollywood's franchise film Fast And The Furious 7 hit theaters and made it to the 100 crore mark in India. Unfortunately, in spite of receiving a lot of praises from the audiences, Akshay Kumar'sBaby which seemed like the biggie of the first quarter, fell short of a few crores as it wrapped up with a lifetime business of 94 crores at the domestic box office.

A still from movies Gabbar Is Back', Bombay Velvet' and Bajrangi Bhaijaan'

It is quite clear that the first half of the year has been quite disappointing compared to 2014 which had two films making it to the 100 crores in its first five months itself, namely Jai Ho and2 States. While Akshay Kumar is a big star and having two releases in the first half, both of them could not become money spinners. Gabbar Is Back started off strong but with the weekly business dropping, it does not seem like the film will breach 100 crores.

Looks like the mantle of making the Bollywood business boom lies on the upcoming movies now. As Ranbir Kapoor starrer Bombay Velvet releases this week, there are high expectations from the film considering it has managed to create a good hype. We can expect the film to open big and enjoy a good weekend but for it to make it to the 100 crore club, it will have to appease mass audiences which is difficult for an Anurag Kashyap film considering his niche tastes.

The recent release, Deepika Padukone starrer Piku enjoyed a good first weekend and the film has strongly thanks to its content. It has survived on a good positive word of mouth but will certainly not be a great business venture.

Basically, it boils down to one thing, no Khan film yet and so no 100 crore business. It may happen that we will have to wait for Salman Khan's Bajrangi Bhaaijaan to hit the theaters in July, to bounce back for a good business. June has Welcome Back minus Akshay whose predecessor Welcome had stormed the box office and there is Dil Dhadakne Do with a huge star cast. Zoya Akhtar's last ZNMD had reached 90 crores but it is questionable if Dil Dhadakne Do will do the same.

BB ofcourse . And Once again it will be proved that KHANS are the JAAN of BOLLYWOOD whether anyone accept it or not or whether some haters call them old or whatever . But Fact is Without KHANS Bollywood was nothing ..& will be nothing . 
Yeah most probably it would be a Khan movie. But what is it with them being jaan of Bollywood. Of course their movies would have biggest opening because they have been there the longest and are most recognizable. But doesnt mean that BW runs due to them! A Queen or Piku or NH 10 or Badlapur is also as important. Small budget content driven movies are the way forward and thankfully BW seems to have realize it. 3-4 Khan movies a year dont sustain Bollywood. BW was thriving before them and will continue to thrive after them too. It knows how to adopt. Not taking away from their starpower, but BW has enough talented actors/directors/writers to sustain without them. And 100 cr is not the only benchmark.
Originally posted by -enchanted-

Yeah most probably it would be a Khan movie. But what is it with them being jaan of Bollywood. Of course their movies would have biggest opening because they have been there the longest and are most recognizable. But doesnt mean that BW runs due to them! A Queen or Piku or NH 10 or Badlapur is also as important. Small budget content driven movies are the way forward and thankfully BW seems to have realize it. 3-4 Khan movies a year dont sustain Bollywood. BW was thriving before them and will continue to thrive after them too. It knows how to adopt. Not taking away from their starpower, but BW has enough talented actors/directors/writers to sustain without them. And 100 cr is not the only benchmark.

First of all I gave my pov . I am not saying anyone to agree with me . Secondly , By Jaan I meant with the amount of thorough excitement People still go & watches a KHAN movie ..It never happens with any other actor .It is totally Unmatchable  Ofcourse I am not including Senior actors and legends like Mr.Bachchan and all .
Originally posted by moniluvskinshuk

First of all I gave my pov . I am not saying anyone to agree with me . Secondly , By Jaan I meant with the amount of thorough excitement People still go & watches a KHAN movie ..It never happens with any other actor .It is totally Unmatchable Ofcourse I am not including Senior actors and legends like Mr.Bachchan and all .

I am also only giving my opinion that BW can survive and thrive without Khans. And of course excitement would be there for a Khan movie. They have been here for 20+ years and are therefore most recognizable.They have started giving 100-200 cr+ movies since last 5-6 yrs. And actors like RK, RS,ARK, SidM have been able to give 100cr movie if content is good. So there is a high probability that they would be able to improve it further when they are more recognizable 10 yrs down the line. Just my opinion.
Hope piku does it before akhan movie
Some chick shud kick der egos
Dil dhadkane do or hamari adhuri kahani or abcd2
I  think any one of them may cross 100 crores
abcd2 is getting very good response from the trailers and song videos and abcd1 was a hit
Dil Dhadakne do for sure if BV fails to reach 100.
Bajrangi Bhaijaan maybe.
I don't think Bombay Velvet will make 100 crores It might probably.