Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ABBY_JERAN thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 9
Posted: 8 years ago
Originally posted by: xSaiyaara

@Abby - I don't remain silent because of some fear that it will lead to an argument but because I would actually like to be able to counter if a discussion does arise. Disagreement doesn't always equate an argument but it certainly could lead to a healthy discussion and I'd prefer to be around for that ;)

To be honest, I do see the POV of those that think the rapist is being portrayed as a hero. But, I personally find those reviews very one-sided as any evidence to the contrary is completely neglected. You can't just comment on all the scenes that paint him in a positive light whilst completely neglecting the dialogues and scenes that clearly indicate there is nothing heroic about him - today's episode offered plenty of this through Aashi's confrontation - the dialogues about izzat, jahaan marzi jaa kar maro, galaazat, EVERYTHING pointed to the disgust with which his actions should be viewed. From the perspective of the rapist, the self-loathing and internal torment is interesting to watch. I do wish the same unique approach could extend to the victim side - her support system is a disaster but at least we got to see a strong Aashi today.

It's definitely a show that needs to be watched with an open mind. You can't just decide that this is what they're trying to show and then look for evidence to support that in every episode. A lot of reviewers seem to have made up their mind in the first episode itself and every week is just building upon that same argument without letting the new revelations influence their initial interpretation - what's the point of even watching the show when the plot development does not allow your opinions to evolve? To be very frank, I have no clue exactly what message I'm supposed to take away from it so I basically take it one episode at a time and hope for the best. I could be completely misinterpreting it or it can go in the completely wrong direction...but that's not an assumption that I can make halfway through the show.

And I'll try and be more active :) I do try to tweet about my favorite scenes but 140 characters just isn't enough to counter the comments that usually follow.

I do feel inclined to comment here more often since everyone here seems to understand the difference between appreciating an actor versus supporting a character. Also, because everyone in this thread is actually watching the show and not just commenting on the basis of hearsay.

Yaar I hope u did send ur post to zahid n zafar sir in FB 

That writing is way too precious to jus post in one platform 

Others shud also read that masterpiece review 

And yeah I sooo understand what u r saying and that's what I hv been trying to say all this wks 

And coming to what mssg to take from this show...we don't hv to take any mssg...there r even more ridiculous senseless pointless shows going on all the time n people r watching it...then no one asks about what mssg those shows convey...jus watch something different for entertainment
-shabz- thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: xSaiyaara

I'm mostly a silent reader, mainly because anything that one writes about this show inadvertently leads to a debate - not that there is anything wrong with that, but I wanted to make sure I comment when I will have time to actually participate in the discussion too :)

First things first: Regardless of the content of the show, the performances never disappoint. Saba Qamar and Zahid Ahmed are the stars of this show; Mikaal is also doing a tremendous job, especially in the climatic scenes such as the revelation.

I know there is a lot being written about the show, particularly with regards to the portrayal of the rapist as a "hero". I, for one, have never felt this that this is what they are trying to show and today's confrontation between Shavez-Aashi confirmed it. As soon as Shavez was about to start his rant about how he is doing all this "zaleel hone ke liye", Ashi stopped him right there. All her dialogues today mirrored EXACTLY what all viewers wanted to scream at Shavez. Because there is no sympathy and no forgiveness for him, no matter what he does now. One thing I hope the writers don't forget is that this entire incident was pre-planned and not an in-the-moment sort of thing - he came there that night to commit a crime and he was not able to stop himself. How can such a man ever be forgiven?

All his supposedly "heroic" acts are his attempt at redemption which the maulvi has earlier clarified is something he can chase all he wants, but it will never come to him for he has committed a heinous, unforgivable crime. Everything he does, then, is futile - the good can never erase or outweigh the evil. Despite the fact that Ashi had forgiven him (as she said today), that no one suspects him, that he has so much love and support (illogical but Salma and Prof. Zubeida do blindly support him), he still has nothing because of his guilt. Because he is a criminal. No one is punishing him, yet he IS being punished. Of course, I do want to see him formally being punished in the worst possible way at the end, but for now, this internal conflict is clearly ripping him apart. And this is not a punishment that he has imposed upon himself so that he can be labelled a "hero", the weight of his crime is actually that heavy that he simply cannot escape it. The last scene between the father and son also hinted at this - his father's pride is something he does not deserve and he knows it (brilliant expressions by Zahid in this scene, by the way). When Shavez cried at the end, I won't say I felt sympathy but I did feel that he was suffering and rightfully so - again for this, I attribute it to Zahid's acting as none of this can be picked up from the dialogues alone.

Long story short: Shavez is not a hero. No matter what he does, there is no sympathy and no possibility of redemption.

At least, that's my interpretation of the show at the moment. I usually don't watch Pakistani shows that deal with this subject because I know it will be poorly handled (the psychiatrist in Sangat is a good example of this - still waiting for a logical sentence from that woman). Only watching this for the strong performers in this show and the fact that they are trying to offer the unique perspective of a rapist too. Fingers crossed that it remains morally sound and does not become a trainwreck in the process.

P.S. Didn't mean for this to get THAT long. I've been meaning to comment on the show for a while now so it was all bottled up ;)

Let me start by saying amazing review.
Secondly, you don't have to be afraid of Abby 😆
Say anything you want bindaas
Her big fonts are harmless 😆Edited by -shabz- - 8 years ago
-shabz- thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Btw I am saying this only for myself, I am not against the show, or I would have stopped watching.
It's just that I wanted this play to show a stronger victim who didn't care about the rape and stood up instead of hiding. The psychologist's advice is crazy, I wished they consulted a real one while writing the script, it would have done wonders for women who go through this ordeal but remain silent.
It's high time we treat the victims with respect and empathy rather than shunning them as if they voluntarily committed a sin.
I hoped to see that in Chup raho and now in this one, forget all the other lame shows, they are not even worth mentioning.
Rabz_14 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Originally posted by: HeavenlyBliss.

abby are you watching the same sangat which we are watching??

good one Hinna ðŸ˜†
Rabz_14 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Adnan's sis is doing a good job too
per bechaari ki koi sunta hi nai
MochaQueen thumbnail
Yaar I am losing interest in this show
The climax is already over
i cant keep my interest anymore
ABBY_JERAN thumbnail
Originally posted by: HeavenlyBliss.

Yaar I am losing interest in this show

The climax is already over
i cant keep my interest anymore

Lmao 

Hard to believe since u r watching that crapfest ek thi misaal n cud watch the bigger crapfest maryam till Epi 30

MochaQueen thumbnail
Yeh bhi to dekh hi rahi hoon
waiting for it to end
ABBY_JERAN thumbnail
Originally posted by: Rabz_14

Adnan's sis is doing a good job too

per bechaari ki koi sunta hi nai

True adnans sister has the best dialogues in every episode 

And I really applaud the writer for this for not mking  her a good for nothing useless sister who only worries about her wedding 

She always gives a piece of mind to her mom n adnan n even ashi when needed 
Edited by ABBY_JERAN - 8 years ago
26javey thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Originally posted by: ABBY_JERAN

Lmao 

Hard to believe since u r watching that crapfest ek thi misaal n cud watch the bigger crapfest maryam till Epi 30

I think you're bing hypocritical here - you call us bashers when we criticise the show and explain why, but you can call shows crapfest and we have to accept it (in the sense where we let you keep calling them names). Not everyone has the same taste and we should be respectful. Constructive criticism is different than straight out calling something a crapfest.