India-Forums

-StoriesByRabindranathTagore- DiscussionThread (Page 41)

Neerjaa IF-Sizzlerz
Neerjaa
Neerjaa

Posted: 11 September 2015 at 9:06am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Arijit007

i missed the last couple of weeks or epis, anyway, this discussion is very good, they say that time has progressed, is it? tv dekh kar aisaa nahi lagtaa.

Rightly said . TV shows are becoming regressive day by day . And irony is decades ago TV shows were more progressive and some shows ahead of its time .

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

sillage.

LostGirl02 Senior Member
LostGirl02
LostGirl02

Posted: 11 September 2015 at 9:17am | IP Logged
Originally posted by SayaneeH.Lecter

"Aparachita" was another amazing example of Kobiguru's vision and thought about the women - Indian women, I would say as dowry has been a curse upon them and their families for ages. I probably missed this story in "Golpoguccha" so when I watched the episode I couldn't but compare this story with "Dena-Paona" [Debts & Dues] - Tagore's another short story on the same topic -dowry.

Unlike, "Aparichita," "Dena Paona" depicts the real diabolic picture of dowry system where the groom went against his dowry-craving family and get married to Nirupama. However, he had to left the girl with his family and the girl was left to face insult and indignation. She came to know her father has mortgaged his house to pay the dowry she didn't let him give the money to her in-laws and that made the in-laws furious. Finally, constant negligence towards health killed her - she kind of brought death upon her. Unaware of the happenings her husband send a letter to his mother for sending his wife to him. At the same time, his mother wrote a letter saying, we are fixing your marriage to someone .. this time, the dowry amount is huge and immediate payment." 

Phew .. I wrote the entire story in short just to indicate one thing - this was common at that time, this was real.. probably 99% girls victimized by this social evil lived or rather died like Nirupama of "Dena Paona" .. But, he was searching for, longing for one "Kalyani" .. probably that's why the title is - "Aparachita" - The Unknown/ Unfamiliar one  [Woman]. The striking difference between two fathers is also notable. While Nirupama's father was a completely vulnerable person who loved his daughter immensely but failed as a father, Kalyani's father emerged as the biggest support system to his daughter. 

In Bengali literature, Saratchandra Chattopadhyay in most of his novels depicted the mundane reality of Bengal [especially rural Bengal] AKA India of that time. He didn't try to find a solution, neither gave false hope or a sugarcoated end. His protagonists are as helpless as the real people were. [He was no orthodox, one can see the progressive ideas in "Sesh Prosno" - The Last Question .. but he preferred to paint the truth of the time than dragging a conclusion] 

Tagore on the other hand, couldn't be fine with the tragedy of humanity .. he always tried to go beyond the predetermined notions and limitations. Also, he was born in a much advanced, educated Bramha [not Bramhin] family where each and every family member was an achiever .. also, he was a part of Bengal Reneiccanse so for him it was impossible to leave the problem just where it was. So, probably "Aparichita" was his answer to "Dena Paona." .. probably!!

Thank Youuu for writing the reviewHug
Wow you did a brilliant comparison between the two stories.ClapMy favourite scene was when Kalyani's father cancels the marriage and the look of utter disbelief on the face of the groom's uncleLOLLOL I screamed "Yes!!!!"  at the tv and got weird looks from my father.I felt the groom paid the price for not protesting against his uncle's action.I love Kalyani's character.

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

sillage.Sea-HawkNeerjaa

Arijit007 IF-Sizzlerz
Arijit007
Arijit007

Posted: 11 September 2015 at 10:42am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Neerjaa

i missed the last couple of weeks or epis, anyway, this discussion is very good, they say that time has progressed, is it? tv dekh kar aisaa nahi lagtaa.

Rightly said . TV shows are becoming regressive day by day . And irony is decades ago TV shows were more progressive and some shows ahead of its time .
i agree, but, i don't understand the rising trp s of such regressive shows.

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

LostGirl02sillage.NeerjaaOtakuGirl-Debo

OtakuGirl-Debo IF-Sizzlerz
OtakuGirl-Debo
OtakuGirl-Debo

Lightsaber of CC

Posted: 12 September 2015 at 3:25am | IP Logged
Originally posted by KochurShaakBata

On one hand, there are these regressive Indian daily soaps where the central female characters are expected to be pious and pure hearted souls,engaged in household chores,not having their own individuality,getting embroilled in kitchen politics and plans of the vamps and leading their life as a victim of mysoginistic rules that are passed off as entertainment.

On the other hand,there's Stories by Rabindranath Tagore,playing on the same Indian 'Idiot Box' that telecast the other regressive daily serials and yet is so different because of it's strong female characters and powerful storyline.

Right from the young widow Binodini,who is unabashed and unaplogetic about her desire for phiscal intimacy and sexual freedom along with love denied by the society she is a part of in Chokher Bali, a yound soft heartedromantic at heart,Giribala who falls victim to physical abuse by her husband who is involved with another woman but does not let continue being a victim and instead leaves her husband and becomes a theatre actress in Maanbhanjan; a carefree,wildchild Mrinmayee who does not understand why should only women change and adapt after marriage and not the men in Samapti;an educated upper class lonely housewife who craves for companionship from her busy husband and starts liking the time she spends with her brother in law who motivates her to write poems and songs and keep herself occupied by pursuing her hobbies in The Broken Nest;a headstrong Mrinal,married off as a child, who decides to end her 15 year old marriage with her husband by writing a letter that shows the true face of her regressive sasural and their attitude towards the women in the house in Streer Patra; a fearless and strong Kalyani,whose father decides to call off her wedding due to the demand of dowry from the boy's family and instead of breaking down,Kalyani decides to live her life without getting married as she feels marriage is not the prime target to achive in a woman's life and there are many more things women can do than just get married for the sake of it in the story Aparaichit.

And supporting all these strong female characters are the equaly strong and supportive fathers who does not treat their faughters as a liability but instead allows them to lead their life the way they want to (which is brilliant attempt by Tagore if we take into account the time these stories were written).Right from Mini's father in Kabuliwala to Mrinmayee's father in Samapti and Kalyani's father in Aparichit, all are such supportive father figures which is a delight to see.And not just fathers but other strong male characters are also seen in the stories.Right from the wandering teenage soul Tarapada who wants to travel and explore life everyday to the supportive husband in Tyaag who decides to not let go of his wife from a lower caste as per his father's orders and istead decides to leave the house with her to Mrinmayee's caring husband in Samapti who takes care of her inspite of just hate from Mrinmayee's side.

And at the end of every episode, you realize these characters and stories were written over a CENTURY AGO,when India hadn't even got independence. And look at the scenario now- the quality of stories on Indian Television where makers are supposed to inspire people through empowering stories and not regressive nonsense shown in TV shows these days. It pains my heart when a show like Stories by Tagore on Epic is made by the same industry that makes a Saath Nibhana Saathiya or Simar Ka Sasural or that Star Plus inspector story where her mother in law keeps shouting at her which are the numero uno shows in India right now.

Kudos to Epic and Anurag Basu for bringing this show on hindi televions.This is easily the best fiction series running now in every department-content wise,story wise,visual wise,everything! Despite being a bengali,I have had the misfortune of not being able to read these stories in the original text due to my non exposure to reading bengali in my childhood. But this show has compensated the loss.I didn't even know about the existence of half of the stories shown in the serial.

And it still baffles me how can someone belonging to a completel different century write such stories which are relevant even to this date and are so empowering and contemporary.I guess that's the magic of Tagore and I am sure there are stories like these by authors of different languages and I hope other TV channels realize the potential of such stories and show them instead of the what we see on television these days!
I completely agree with your each and every word...those channel's promote those female character as the modern idol Women but they don't even know what is the idol Women..they should learn the real meaning of Feminism and Idol Women from Tagore and his female Characters...

LostGirl02sillage.Neerjaa

Jo_March Goldie
Jo_March
Jo_March

Posted: 12 September 2015 at 8:05am | IP Logged

That is because people have become habitual of watching such shows. Such shows are made and then gain trp s for the simple reason that people watch them. Shows that are different from the usual saas bahu drama don't get appreciated easily by the majority of people.

LostGirl02sillage.Neerjaa

Sea-Hawk IF-Dazzler
Sea-Hawk
Sea-Hawk

Posted: 13 September 2015 at 6:08am | IP Logged
@Loona my mom too watches a Bengali TV show where two girls are fighting over a guy .. one is aggressive and another passive .. definitely, the passive one is the lead as a girl can't be aggressive right! If she is, she is meant to be the vamp.

I have stopped watching Indian TV shows for the same reason. I just can't digest the regressive messages they convey. Even if I start one I don't watch them regularly or quit within a few months. Sadly, Bengali TV which was way too advance even a few years back is riding the same car now. As a Bengali, I can't relate to the stories and people of Bengali shows now. 

I prefer to watch US and UK shows .. at least men and women there are as gray and flawed as real people are. Only channel I like is epic .. only channel where I find some quality content. 

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

LostGirl02Jo_Marchsillage.OtakuGirl-DeboArijit007

Sea-Hawk IF-Dazzler
Sea-Hawk
Sea-Hawk

Posted: 13 September 2015 at 6:19am | IP Logged

That proves majority audiences like such regressive shows .. it puts a question on the education, taste and culture of Indian audience .. let's face the fact, a country, where shows like Saath Nibhana Saathiya runs year after year, seriously needs to revamp its people and their mentality.. After "Komol gandhar" flopped, Ritwik Ghatak said, " My movie didn't fail, audiences failed" - He was right indeed. In Indian audiences has failed. PERIOD.  

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

LostGirl02Jo_Marchsillage.OtakuGirl-DeboArijit007

Arijit007 IF-Sizzlerz
Arijit007
Arijit007

Posted: 13 September 2015 at 7:56am | IP Logged
absolutly, revamp is deffinatly needed.

Go to top

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category / Channels
Forums

Epic Channel Topic Index

• Please login to check your Last 10 Topics posted

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.

Popular Channels :
Star Plus | Zee TV | Sony TV | Colors TV | SAB TV | Life OK

Quick Links :
Top 100 TV Celebrities | Top 100 Bollywood Celebs | About Us | Contact Us | Advertise | Forum Index