India-Forums

-StoriesByRabindranathTagore- DiscussionThread (Page 39)

DurgaS IF-Dazzler
DurgaS
DurgaS

Posted: 08 September 2015 at 12:51am | IP Logged
Just saw Epic Channel's tweet. Today's story is Aparichita, a story about the dangerous form of greed, dahej (dowry). 

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

LostGirl02Jo_MarchSayaneeH.LecterNeerjaariti4u

riti4u IF-Stunnerz
riti4u
riti4u

Posted: 08 September 2015 at 12:59am | IP Logged
Originally posted by DurgaS

Originally posted by riti4u

Loved yesterday's story.. what was the name ? Loved Mrinal 's character and her love for bindu.. i wished bindu didnt Cry.. but story's message was good.. Tagore in those times wrote such strong female characters , times have changed..things are not that bad as it used to be but male chauvnist attitude still exists..

Hi Riti. It was Mrinal ki chitti (Streer potro). Ya, wish Bindu hadn't ... But perhaps that's when it hits hard. Cry

Hey DurgaSmile , thanks for telling.. Smile..actually first i thought it would have been a better ending if bindu and Mrinal had boarded train and fled away from those people.. but then I realised probably impact of the story was more because of tragedy of bindu in the end...Cry

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Jo_March

Neerjaa IF-Sizzlerz
Neerjaa
Neerjaa

Posted: 08 September 2015 at 1:01am | IP Logged

Streer Patra or The Wife's Letter

Written in an epistolary form, the story is about Mrinal who has written a  letter to her husband. She is writing a letter for the first time in their fifteen years of being married. Writing from Puri, she recalls her childhood and how she came into his family as the second bride in his joint family. Through the institution of marriage, she recalls how in the marriage market, looks constitute the most important part  to be bride. Intelligence was a curse-  "That I had beauty, it didn't take you long to forget. But you were reminded, every step of the way, that I also had intelligence." Mrinal further adds to this by saying how her mother was troubled by the fact that she was intelligent. She used to secretly write poems and at her husbands house , her only friends were the cows in the stable. Her daughter dies after being born and the confinement in which Mrinal has to stay has been described as unhygienic. The entry of Bindu in her life brings a change and Tagore shows the treatment of women as dependents in a house. The suffering that Bindu goes through and the final outcome of her committing suicide goes to show the extent of emotional abuse a woman goes through and is still blamed even after her death for the errors that haven't been committed by her. Mrinal unable to bear the suffocating environment of the house decides to leave behind everything under the pretext  of going on a pilgrimage and decides to secretly take Bindu along. By the time the letter comes to an end, we find Mrinal free in person and in her thoughts- freely able to convey what she thought about the society in general and her husband in particular. The important part is the way she addresses the letter to her husband in the beginning and the way she addresses him in the end- the respect which is mingled with sarcasm has been well captured by Tagore.

Tagore through the story of  Mrinal speaks out about every small vice which still prevails in India even at the turn of the century -the upper castes, patriarchy and child marriage to name a few. Mrinal suffers because of her intelligence. Tagore points out that even the mother rather than appreciating was troubled by it. She wrote poetry secretly, through this act of writing, knowing and finding a voice of one's own frees one from patriarchal bonds, in a way the very act of her writing poems was a creation of a system which voiced a woman's views. In Joyce's A Portrait of An artist as a Young Man we find similar silencing on the matter of politics.T he very act of silence or not rebelling against is a movement towards the creation of a system free from such values. Mrinal's act of writing poetry for fifteen years was an act on such lines.

Tagores comparison of inner rooms being similar to the back of an embroidery is not limited to the rooms but also becomes a reference to the letter -this very letter which Mrinal is writing - this letter stands for the back of an embroidery in which "there is no hiding the starkness, no grace, no adornment"

Tagore also shows how far a woman goes to just be a devoted wife and the horrors she is ready to do. When her sister -in-law's sister  Bindu comes to live with them in a state of plight, rather than helping her sister, the sister in law is very harsh with her and we witness the troubles this plain looking girl goes through who in the end kills herself after being married to an insane man. Tagore speaks with a directness that hits the reader and putting it down in the form of a letter Tagore was able to do that. He has beautifully captured the voice of a woman, exposing the abused and neglected side of them. It expresses a woman's expectations written in words even when she has left her husband. This story has a strong resonance even today. Read this story that redefines the concept of self-hood.

LostGirl02Jo_Marchsillage.SayaneeH.Lecterriti4u

Jo_March Goldie
Jo_March
Jo_March

Posted: 08 September 2015 at 7:15am | IP Logged
I loved loved loved Mrinal ki chitti. I agree with all of you. It's so astonishing to think that even at that time Rabindranath Tagore was so advanced in his ideologies. Through his stories I know one thing for sure is that he understood women. He understood their hopes,desires,dreams, aspirations. Women were only expected to look pretty and do household chores in earlier times. (even today in some places) That's it. End of their identity. In fact they had no identity. They were not allowed to hold their own personal opinions. They were not taught to stand up for themselves because they were not taught to respect themselves. But women in Tagore's stories are strong women who are not afraid to live alone and have their own identity even if it means leaving society.
I loved that scene when Mrinal was teaching Bindu the importance of a bindu (dot). She was actually teaching her to respect herself. What a beautiful scene! 

Edited by -.Merit.- - 08 September 2015 at 7:22am

LostGirl02sillage.SayaneeH.LecterNeerjaariti4u

Neerjaa IF-Sizzlerz
Neerjaa
Neerjaa

Posted: 08 September 2015 at 9:38am | IP Logged
Originally posted by -.Merit.-

I loved loved loved Mrinal ki chitti. I agree with all of you. It's so astonishing to think that even at that time Rabindranath Tagore was so advanced in his ideologies. Through his stories I know one thing for sure is that he understood women. He understood their hopes,desires,dreams, aspirations. Women were only expected to look pretty and do household chores in earlier times. (even today in some places) That's it. End of their identity. In fact they had no identity. They were not allowed to hold their own personal opinions. They were not taught to stand up for themselves because they were not taught to respect themselves. But women in Tagore's stories are strong women who are not afraid to live alone and have their own identity even if it means leaving society.
I loved that scene when Mrinal was teaching Bindu the importance of a bindu (dot). She was actually teaching her to respect herself. What a beautiful scene! 

I missed the starting of the story ,so will at one go . But I think it ended yesterday where she is standing near the sea . Problem is our makers do venture in to tested formula where woman is only bechari .with tears in eyes . Tagore no doubt was very ahead from his time and he understood the emotions entangled with relations . Specially the women characters and their inner going dilemma .

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

LostGirl02Jo_Marchsillage.SayaneeH.Lecter

SayaneeH.Lecter IF-Dazzler
SayaneeH.Lecter
SayaneeH.Lecter

Posted: 08 September 2015 at 11:22pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Neerjaa

I missed the first part ,will see the repeat but watched the second one and the end where new story starts . 
Tagore 's work is more about human nature and feelings. Shashank never was rude to his wife ,did what she wanted . But when she falls ill and Urmi comes then it was all very healthy relations between the two ,Urmi and Shashank . With passing of time equation changed . Both are young ,Urmi is betrayed by the person she was supposed to marry and sometimes unintentionally you are pulled to the person . As someone said complex world of the relations .Urmi realizes what she has done and left Shashank realizes his mistake . So as for me sometimes we do not have control on  circumstances . And No one is perfect .
Will watch the full story . 
One thing i should say that AB uses the glass doors and widows very beautifully and like his story telling which seems to be watching a movie .

I totally agree here .. in "Dui Bon" it is easy to hate Urmi or Shashank but once you get into their shoes, you feel no one is at fault it was all circumstances. As at the beginning they said, A man search for a mother and a lover in their partners .. Shashank found the mother in SHarmi and the lover in Urmi. It was an all healthy jiju-saali relationship at the beginning, but it changed with time .. Urmi always admired Shashank as the-almost -perfect-man, once her fiance ditched her, she found her dream man in Shashank. Society has fixed some norms for human being, but that can't control how the heart works .. 

Edited by SayaneeH.Lecter - 10 September 2015 at 12:47am

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

LostGirl02Jo_MarchNeerjaa

SayaneeH.Lecter IF-Dazzler
SayaneeH.Lecter
SayaneeH.Lecter

Posted: 08 September 2015 at 11:35pm | IP Logged
About "Streer Patra" I actually have nothing to say .. the day I see the next story is "Streer Patra" I was excited. This story reflects how "Rabindranath Tagore" has seen women, their existence, and individuality. He was way ahead of his time and our time too. You see any Bolly films or TV shows they are everyday inducing the thought that a woman is someone's mother, someone's wife, someone's sister, but nobody says she is She .. her existence is always distributed among others, always depending on what relationship she has with others!! But this man was way too progressive .. sad that history is going backward in our country. 

AB was really good in his portrayal .. he followed the epistolary form .. casting was good .. I liked the actors who played Mrinal and Bindu. 

Edited by SayaneeH.Lecter - 09 September 2015 at 3:33am

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

sillage.Jo_MarchNeerjaariti4u

riti4u IF-Stunnerz
riti4u
riti4u

Posted: 09 September 2015 at 1:05am | IP Logged
Yesterday's story Aparichit was also nice and once again Tagore impressed with his forward thinking... Best scene for me was how girl's father refuses that greedy uncle... i was thinking how could he still wed his daughter in that family... but when that scene came..i was literally clapping...Big smile
loved the beautiful end too... i was glad that the girl didnt decide to marry him...instead the boy deciding to help her in her charity work... it had better effect... Smile

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

LostGirl02Jo_Marchsillage.

Go to top

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category / Channels
Forums

Epic Channel Topic Index

• Please login to check your Last 10 Topics posted

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.

Popular Channels :
Star Plus | Zee TV | Sony TV | Colors TV | SAB TV | Life OK

Quick Links :
Top 100 TV Celebrities | Top 100 Bollywood Celebs | About Us | Contact Us | Advertise | Forum Index