Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

riti4u thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 8 years ago
Originally posted by: Neerjaa

I just loved the  story where woman is shown to be having her own identity . Man is not shown to be the end and start of Woman life neither is marriage . If you have some aim in your life you can go after that . If we go to literature ,women are most of the time are shown strong headed. 
Irony is decades ago we have literature pieces shown in TV ,specially in DD time which did justice to story .But that era is gone now . If anyone comes with then he just caricature the Literature . 

Ya so true.. why do women always have to be shown dependent on someone... Marriage is just a part of life..but our society makes it like whole life is around it... It is just about companion for life... and if person is self dependent enough and has found her happiness in some other mission...
Gul_bahar thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

I just loved the  story where woman is shown to be having her own identity . Man is not shown to be the end and start of Woman life neither is marriage . If you have some aim in your life you can go after that . If we go to literature ,women are most of the time are shown strong headed. 
Irony is decades ago we have literature pieces shown in TV ,specially in DD time which did justice to story .But that era is gone now . If anyone comes with then he just caricature the Literature . 

Exactly! I loved the end of Aparichit the most. Tagore showed that marriage should not necessarily be the ultimate goal of a person. In our society we're brought up to think that marriage is the thing that completes us. But there are other important things too... your passion, life goals etc. And it is absolutely normal if a person decides to stay unmarried.
Perfect endingโญ๏ธ
LostGirl02 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: SayaneeH.Lecter

About "Streer Patra" I actually have nothing to say .. the day I see the next story is "Streer Patra" I was excited. This story reflects how "Rabindranath Tagore" has seen women, their existence, and individuality. He was way ahead of his time and our time too. You see any Bolly films or TV shows they are everyday inducing the thought that a woman is someone's mother, someone's wife, someone's sister, but nobody says she is She .. her existence is always distributed among others, always depending on what relationship she has with others!! But this man was way too progressive .. sad that history is going backward in our country. 

AB was really good in his portrayal .. he followed the epistolary form .. casting was good .. I liked the actors who played Mrinal and Bindu. 

@Bold I can't thank you enough for writing this line.It really irks me when a woman's worth is decided by her various relationships.What if a woman is unmarried and does'nt have parents?Then it is okay to torment her  according to society.My mother watches a bengali serial where two girls were fighting for one guy.God I feel like tearing my hair out.This series is so refreshing and AB deserves an award for making this.
P.S I really like reading your reviews.๐Ÿ˜ƒ
Will you review "Aparichita" ?๐Ÿ˜ƒ 
Neerjaa thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: LoonyLuna

@Bold I can't thank you enough for writing this line.It really irks me when a woman's worth is decided by her various relationships.What if a woman is unmarried and does'nt have parents?Then it is okay to torment her  according to society.My mother watches a bengali serial where two girls were fighting for one guy.God I feel like tearing my hair out.This series is so refreshing and AB deserves an award for making this.
P.S I really like reading your reviews.๐Ÿ˜ƒ
Will you review "Aparichita" ?๐Ÿ˜ƒ 

This is quite tested formula where fighting for one guy as if god,given gift to Women. High time women should be shown living with dignity and on their own terms . Will ask you to watch Zindagi Gulzar hai ,Its kind of lessons of  life .After a  long time saw such beautiful story of real people . And now liking the Tagore's Work which is progressive and way ahead .

Dhaa-Ki-Tiki thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
On one hand, there are these regressive Indian daily soaps where the central female characters are expected to be pious and pure hearted souls,engaged in household chores,not having their own individuality,getting embroilled in kitchen politics and plans of the vamps and leading their life as a victim of mysoginistic rules that are passed off as entertainment.

On the other hand,there's Stories by Rabindranath Tagore,playing on the same Indian 'Idiot Box' that telecast the other regressive daily serials and yet is so different because of it's strong female characters and powerful storyline.

Right from the young widow Binodini,who is unabashed and unaplogetic about her desire for phiscal intimacy and sexual freedom along with love denied by the society she is a part of in Chokher Bali, a yound soft heartedromantic at heart,Giribala who falls victim to physical abuse by her husband who is involved with another woman but does not let continue being a victim and instead leaves her husband and becomes a theatre actress in Maanbhanjan; a carefree,wildchild Mrinmayee who does not understand why should only women change and adapt after marriage and not the men in Samapti;an educated upper class lonely housewife who craves for companionship from her busy husband and starts liking the time she spends with her brother in law who motivates her to write poems and songs and keep herself occupied by pursuing her hobbies in The Broken Nest;a headstrong Mrinal,married off as a child, who decides to end her 15 year old marriage with her husband by writing a letter that shows the true face of her regressive sasural and their attitude towards the women in the house in Streer Patra; a fearless and strong Kalyani,whose father decides to call off her wedding due to the demand of dowry from the boy's family and instead of breaking down,Kalyani decides to live her life without getting married as she feels marriage is not the prime target to achive in a woman's life and there are many more things women can do than just get married for the sake of it in the story Aparaichit.

And supporting all these strong female characters are the equaly strong and supportive fathers who does not treat their faughters as a liability but instead allows them to lead their life the way they want to (which is brilliant attempt by Tagore if we take into account the time these stories were written).Right from Mini's father in Kabuliwala to Mrinmayee's father in Samapti and Kalyani's father in Aparichit, all are such supportive father figures which is a delight to see.And not just fathers but other strong male characters are also seen in the stories.Right from the wandering teenage soul Tarapada who wants to travel and explore life everyday to the supportive husband in Tyaag who decides to not let go of his wife from a lower caste as per his father's orders and istead decides to leave the house with her to Mrinmayee's caring husband in Samapti who takes care of her inspite of just hate from Mrinmayee's side.

And at the end of every episode, you realize these characters and stories were written over a CENTURY AGO,when India hadn't even got independence. And look at the scenario now- the quality of stories on Indian Television where makers are supposed to inspire people through empowering stories and not regressive nonsense shown in TV shows these days. It pains my heart when a show like Stories by Tagore on Epic is made by the same industry that makes a Saath Nibhana Saathiya or Simar Ka Sasural or that Star Plus inspector story where her mother in law keeps shouting at her which are the numero uno shows in India right now.

Kudos to Epic and Anurag Basu for bringing this show on hindi televions.This is easily the best fiction series running now in every department-content wise,story wise,visual wise,everything! Despite being a bengali,I have had the misfortune of not being able to read these stories in the original text due to my non exposure to reading bengali in my childhood. But this show has compensated the loss.I didn't even know about the existence of half of the stories shown in the serial.

And it still baffles me how can someone belonging to a completel different century write such stories which are relevant even to this date and are so empowering and contemporary.I guess that's the magic of Tagore and I am sure there are stories like these by authors of different languages and I hope other TV channels realize the potential of such stories and show them instead of the what we see on television these days!
Edited by KochurShaakBata - 8 years ago
Sea-Hawk thumbnail
"Aparachita" was another amazing example of Kobiguru's vision and thought about the women - Indian women, I would say as dowry has been a curse upon them and their families for ages. I probably missed this story in "Golpoguccha" so when I watched the episode I couldn't but compare this story with "Dena-Paona" [Debts & Dues] - Tagore's another short story on the same topic -dowry.

Unlike, "Aparichita," "Dena Paona" depicts the real diabolic picture of dowry system where the groom went against his dowry-craving family and get married to Nirupama. However, he had to left the girl with his family and the girl was left to face insult and indignation. She came to know her father has mortgaged his house to pay the dowry she didn't let him give the money to her in-laws and that made the in-laws furious. Finally, constant negligence towards health killed her - she kind of brought death upon her. Unaware of the happenings her husband send a letter to his mother for sending his wife to him. At the same time, his mother wrote a letter saying, we are fixing your marriage to someone .. this time, the dowry amount is huge and immediate payment." 

Phew .. I wrote the entire story in short just to indicate one thing - this was common at that time, this was real.. probably 99% girls victimized by this social evil lived or rather died like Nirupama of "Dena Paona" .. But, he was searching for, longing for one "Kalyani" .. probably that's why the title is - "Aparachita" - The Unknown/ Unfamiliar one  [Woman]. The striking difference between two fathers is also notable. While Nirupama's father was a completely vulnerable person who loved his daughter immensely but failed as a father, Kalyani's father emerged as the biggest support system to his daughter. 

In Bengali literature, Saratchandra Chattopadhyay in most of his novels depicted the mundane reality of Bengal [especially rural Bengal] AKA India of that time. He didn't try to find a solution, neither gave false hope or a sugarcoated end. His protagonists are as helpless as the real people were. [He was no orthodox, one can see the progressive ideas in "Sesh Prosno" - The Last Question .. but he preferred to paint the truth of the time than dragging a conclusion] 

Tagore on the other hand, couldn't be fine with the tragedy of humanity .. he always tried to go beyond the predetermined notions and limitations. Also, he was born in a much advanced, educated Bramha [not Bramhin] family where each and every family member was an achiever .. also, he was a part of Bengal Reneiccanse so for him it was impossible to leave the problem just where it was. So, probably "Aparichita" was his answer to "Dena Paona." .. probably!!

Edited by SayaneeH.Lecter - 8 years ago
Arijit007 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
i missed the last couple of weeks or epis, anyway, this discussion is very good, they say that time has progressed, is it? tv dekh kar aisaa nahi lagtaa.
Neerjaa thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: Arijit007

i missed the last couple of weeks or epis, anyway, this discussion is very good, they say that time has progressed, is it? tv dekh kar aisaa nahi lagtaa.

Rightly said . TV shows are becoming regressive day by day . And irony is decades ago TV shows were more progressive and some shows ahead of its time .
LostGirl02 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: SayaneeH.Lecter

"Aparachita" was another amazing example of Kobiguru's vision and thought about the women - Indian women, I would say as dowry has been a curse upon them and their families for ages. I probably missed this story in "Golpoguccha" so when I watched the episode I couldn't but compare this story with "Dena-Paona" [Debts & Dues] - Tagore's another short story on the same topic -dowry.

Unlike, "Aparichita," "Dena Paona" depicts the real diabolic picture of dowry system where the groom went against his dowry-craving family and get married to Nirupama. However, he had to left the girl with his family and the girl was left to face insult and indignation. She came to know her father has mortgaged his house to pay the dowry she didn't let him give the money to her in-laws and that made the in-laws furious. Finally, constant negligence towards health killed her - she kind of brought death upon her. Unaware of the happenings her husband send a letter to his mother for sending his wife to him. At the same time, his mother wrote a letter saying, we are fixing your marriage to someone .. this time, the dowry amount is huge and immediate payment." 

Phew .. I wrote the entire story in short just to indicate one thing - this was common at that time, this was real.. probably 99% girls victimized by this social evil lived or rather died like Nirupama of "Dena Paona" .. But, he was searching for, longing for one "Kalyani" .. probably that's why the title is - "Aparachita" - The Unknown/ Unfamiliar one  [Woman]. The striking difference between two fathers is also notable. While Nirupama's father was a completely vulnerable person who loved his daughter immensely but failed as a father, Kalyani's father emerged as the biggest support system to his daughter. 

In Bengali literature, Saratchandra Chattopadhyay in most of his novels depicted the mundane reality of Bengal [especially rural Bengal] AKA India of that time. He didn't try to find a solution, neither gave false hope or a sugarcoated end. His protagonists are as helpless as the real people were. [He was no orthodox, one can see the progressive ideas in "Sesh Prosno" - The Last Question .. but he preferred to paint the truth of the time than dragging a conclusion] 

Tagore on the other hand, couldn't be fine with the tragedy of humanity .. he always tried to go beyond the predetermined notions and limitations. Also, he was born in a much advanced, educated Bramha [not Bramhin] family where each and every family member was an achiever .. also, he was a part of Bengal Reneiccanse so for him it was impossible to leave the problem just where it was. So, probably "Aparichita" was his answer to "Dena Paona." .. probably!!

Thank Youuu for writing the review๐Ÿค—
Wow you did a brilliant comparison between the two stories.๐Ÿ‘My favourite scene was when Kalyani's father cancels the marriage and the look of utter disbelief on the face of the groom's uncle๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜† I screamed "Yes!!!!"  at the tv and got weird looks from my father.I felt the groom paid the price for not protesting against his uncle's action.I love Kalyani's character.
Arijit007 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail

Rightly said . TV shows are becoming regressive day by day . And irony is decades ago TV shows were more progressive and some shows ahead of its time .

i agree, but, i don't understand the rising trp s of such regressive shows.