Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Gul_bahar thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 8 years ago
I've been looking for this for so long. Finally found it.
 Even though I don't understand the lyrics... I love it...very soothing song.❤️ 

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHFzHJLgz-g[/YOUTUBE]

Sea-Hawk thumbnail
Originally posted by: -.Merit.-

I've been looking for this for so long. Finally found it.

Even though I don't understand the lyrics... I love it...very soothing song.❤️ 

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHFzHJLgz-g[/YOUTUBE]

Thank you thank you thank you for sharing it .. I love this song and this version simply touches the soul .. & here you go with the lyrics .. I found 3 translations on internet and liked this one the most

All That My Heart Wishes For
You Are The One, That You Are.
In This World, Apart From You
I Have None, Nothing I Have.

If You Are Not Happy,
Go In Search Of Happiness,
Got You In My Heart,
Nothing More Do I Desire.

Pining For You, In Your Absence
I Will Fade Myself, To Live In You.
Long Be The Day, Long Be The Night
Long Be Months And Years That Go By.

If You Do Love Someone Else, 
If Never Do You Return
Then Whatever You Covet
That You Do Get,
May All Suffering Will Be Mine. 
Sea-Hawk thumbnail
This vid doesn't have the last stanza .. hope they release the whole song too .. it was there in the episode 
DurgaS thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Thanks for the continuing discussions. I am glad I am not alone. I too didn't like Mini being made the protagonist of the next story. Mini is too special and should have been left as a happy memory. Kabuliwala was done so beautifully. Mushtaq Kak and Amrita Mukherjee did a great job. Continuing the next story with the characters of Kabuliwala has hampered this beauty. The connect between stories could have been made in any other way. I also feel the real message in 'Punishment' was not properly conveyed. For the first time I am a little unhappy with Basu's version in the series. 

Btw, the actor who played Mini's husband, wasn't he the same who played Yudhisthir in 'Dharmakshetra'? 
DurgaS thumbnail
Originally posted by: SayaneeH.Lecter

Thank you thank you thank you for sharing it .. I love this song and this version simply touches the soul .. & here you go with the lyrics .. I found 3 translations on internet and liked this one the most

All That My Heart Wishes For
You Are The One, That You Are.
In This World, Apart From You
I Have None, Nothing I Have.

If You Are Not Happy,
Go In Search Of Happiness,
Got You In My Heart,
Nothing More Do I Desire.

Pining For You, In Your Absence
I Will Fade Myself, To Live In You.
Long Be The Day, Long Be The Night
Long Be Months And Years That Go By.

If You Do Love Someone Else, 
If Never Do You Return
Then Whatever You Covet
That You Do Get,
May All Suffering Will Be Mine. 

Wow, thank you so so much Merit and Sayanee. This song is quite unforgettable. :-) 

DurgaS thumbnail
Originally posted by: Neerjaa

I agree with you Kabuliwala should have ended with original and then this new  story with new face should have come . You can not play with originals .  As someone has above mentioned the story is about poor labourers . This merger makes one confuse .  the hindi novel had two stories by Tagore but with another name . But i recognised Charulata as i have heard abouy it and always wanted to know the end . 

Got from google

In the light of the above, "Punishment" is a heart-rending story about ignorance, superstition and cultural biases against women on the one hand, and, on the other, one woman's defiance against all this.

Chandara sacrifices her own life after being falsely accused of murdering her sister-in-law because she WANTED her husband -- the false accuser -- to suffer guilt for the rest of his life. Her husband's brother, Dukhiram, had killed his own wife. His brother, Chidam, Chandara's husband, had witnessed it. Yet, when the authorities came, Chidam lied to them, accusing his wife of the murder.

Why?

On face-value, his reasoning is simple; simplistic, in fact: males are to be treasured; females are dispensable; you can marry another wife, but you cannot get another brother But, lurking beneath inane belief-system, is a series of superstition that ate away at the Bengali culture of the working class poor. A woman's love is corrupted by her sex: her genitals, humid as the Bengali climate, are capable of receiving any man, if he so wishes to possess her. Weak as she is, she is vulnerable, and with her, the family into which she is married is made vulnerable! Tagore does not directly state any of this. It comes through with his brilliant use of innuendos and metaphors.

Tagore could have ended the story here, and it would have been a blatant criticism of ignorant village life. But Rabindranath was nothing if he was not a deep and astute reader of human frailty and human strength. He infuses Chandara's story with indirect metaphorical references to sharp, breathtaking passionate love between Chandara and her husband. There are many, many subtle suggestions of Chidam's sexual addiction for Chandara. Tagore suggests that it is his own strong sexual addiction that Chandara's husband feared the most: if she can give in to him so passionately, with such complete abundance, who knows whether she will succumb to another man's strength! 

The accusation of murder thus comes almost unplanned -- suddenly -- but was it something he had always contemplated? Subconsciously?

Who is being punished? Not Chandara. In my opinion, it is her husband who brings punishment down upon himself. He loses the only woman he loved; and Chandara, by embracing death and REFUSING to see her husband again, casts him away for ever to be tormented by the fury of his own hellish guilt!

This is an eye opener. Thanks for bringing it here Neerjaa. 

Sea-Hawk thumbnail
Hey Durga I guess most of us have the same feelings regarding Mini being dragged in another story .. I am okay with the changes AB brought, as they didn't cross the line of creative liberty and never distorted the story but the change in "The Punishment" came in exchange of Mini's life what we couldn't accept. 

However, the next venture that is "Nashta Neer" - "The Broken Nest" wil be also challenging as another master of the craft - Satyajit Ray made a film on it. I am eager to watch it. 

Out of the context - I checked your blog .. loved the articles on "Suit" and" Chokher Bali"

DurgaS thumbnail
Originally posted by: SayaneeH.Lecter

Hey Durga I guess most of us have the same feelings regarding Mini being dragged in another story .. I am okay with the changes AB brought, as they didn't cross the line of creative liberty and never distorted the story but the change in "The Punishment" came in exchange of Mini's life what we couldn't accept. 

However, the next venture that is "Nashta Neer" - "The Broken Nest" wil be also challenging as another master of the craft - Satyajit Ray made a film on it. I am eager to watch it. 

Out of the context - I checked your blog .. loved the articles on "Suit" and" Chokher Bali"

Hi Sayanee. 😊

I agree with the creative liberty. But Mini is too special and her story shouldn't have been tampered with. Also, I am not aware of most of Tagore's stories, so am receiving the episodes with a fresh mind. Even then, I felt that something was missing in the narration of the story of Punishment. Mini's resolve to stay silent in order to let her husband suffer as a form of punishment, didn't really come through. And till the end, it felt as if she was confused as to what to do and waiting for something to happen. This part, I felt should have been more clear. On Epic's fb page too, many have written about their unhappiness towards making Mini the protagonist of Punishment. 

I am looking forward to Broken Nest. Charulata's character has been widely publicized in the promos. I am going to stay clear of any versions of the story till Basu's version comes out. Hoping his version doesn't deviate too much. 

Thanks for reading the articles. There are mainly three of us who are writing regularly. Rhea, Indi and myself. Suits is written by Rhea. She is covering most of the English TV shows. Author of the articles is given in the articles. I paln to write soon on Kabuliwala and Punishment. Will give a link when I am done. 😊 

Meanwhile, I have written on the other few stories. Here's the link 😊

Edited by DurgaS - 8 years ago
Sea-Hawk thumbnail
Totally agree with you .. I said in my previous post that this time Basu has been moved from the focus of the story .. it was a story of a non-privileged girl whose sense of self-respect stands out, her silence screams the injustice her husband did to her and rejecting every opportunity to life, she punished her husband with never-ending feeling of guilt and despair. the message wasn't conveyed and people who didn't read the story won't understand the point the short story wanted to prove. 

Dragging Mini into this tragedy was a bad idea. Mini IS special, dear to everyone. Every reader in "kabuliwala" somewhere relates to Mini, in search of the innocence they have lost. Her death is death of a deep feeling - and it's bigger than death of just a fictional character. Also, Mini wasn't like Chandora at all. She lacked the determination, sass and strength of Chandora so the whole thing didn't really make much sense
Gul_bahar thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

I was happy to do it Sayanee di and Durga di. It's a beautiful song.  ^_^

@Sayanee di Thank you so much for the translation di. The lyrics are so beautiful. I love it even more now. And I agree I listened to other versions of this song but this one is definitely the best. Arijit has sung this song so beautifully that it touches your soul.

And about the story Punishment I agree with all of you here. I'm new to these stories so I had no idea Punishment was about self respect of Chandora(Mini) and punishment is actually for her husband in the form of guilt. I couldn't connect with this story. In the episode it was shown that Mini accepted the blame because of what her father had told her. But after reading reviews here I too feel AB should not have mixed the two stories. The impact of the story would have been more then. Plus thinking that Kabuliwala's Mini went through it didn't help either.