-StoriesByRabindranathTagore- DiscussionThread - Page 11

Posted: 8 years ago
Originally posted by SayaneeH.Lecter

However, we didn't discuss Basu's direction .. I feel he is truly sincere and has given 100% effort .. his natural expertise can be seen in this venture .. Few scenes are commendable .. the fading bride in red Binodini arrived in white to depict the disastrous change in her life within a small span, the train scene .. the excitement and the run reminded me of "Pother Pachali" .. the iconic Apu Durga scene .. the camera work was brilliant, and the rain scene .. it was picturesque .. I was impressed by Basu's work since "Gangster" days, Barfi overwhelmed me but this time, it is Tagore so I was skeptic but I am really satisfied with the outcome  

One more scene where Binoodini is playing Piano and Mahender coming is shown through reflection in the glass when first tme Aasha plan Mahender to meet her friend . Beautiful location and cinematogrphy , direction . Radhika Apte has very expressive eyes . She can potray all emotions through her eyes .  100 years ago Tagore was very much a head of his time . And another novel in french came to mind  Madame Bovary (1856) is the French writer Gustave Flaubert's debut novel which was banned that time but i have read and found nothing so offensive .
                   He has touched the human emotions and done that very subtly where affair between the two has been shown . Credit goes to director and with the the actors who who gives wings to writer ,s imagination . I have read Bengali literature decades ago in college time . Recently read 3-4 books in Hindi . But Hindi also do not do justce to original work . Every language has its own essence . Love to be part of this thread where getting to know so much about the literature .

Edited by Neerjaa - 8 years ago
Originally posted by riti4u

Hey Sayanee, thanks for linkπŸ€— and welcome.. Will surely join discussion dearπŸ˜ƒ.. Interested to see next episodes.. will have clear understanding of some characters and situation... coz Binodini has confused me the most ..πŸ˜†

That's natural Riti .. she is no cute naive woman .. she is Binodini .. Tagore's creation .. she is the reflection of a woman's deepest and darkest desires .. she is complicated and this complication makes her intriguing .. even when I am reading the original book she appears like a mystery sometimes, you need to watch all the episodes to understand her 
Hey Guys ami ki join kore thea pari? Kon channel'ey hoi?
Originally posted by RoseWine

Hey Guys ami ki join kore thea pari? Kon channel'ey hoi?
Of course you are most welcome.😊
It airs on Epic channel on Monday & Tuesday at 10pm.
I just watched two episodes back to back .. As I watched from the very 1st scene two things I noticed today 

1. They introduced "Atithi" at the 1st scene only .. if you notice there is a the group of Baul singing "Amar praner manush ache prane" .. doesn't he look like Tarapada( I forgot the name of the protagonist, probably it was Tarapada) the runaway boy in a group of singers .. I have a strong feel Basu intentionally used that connection there

2. the station scene when Binodini light up the lamp .. if you have seen "Saptapadi" .. doesn't it remind the legendary "God is dead, I have killed him" scene .. where Reena Brown shot Christ's pic, Krishnendu moved her hand she saw her picture in the flickering light of the broken lamp .. Saptapadi is my all time favourite and the scene is a masterpiece .. so when I say a scene reminded me of Saptapadi, I am really complementing him 
Edited by SayaneeH.Lecter - 8 years ago

That's natural Riti .. she is no cute naive woman .. she is Binodini .. Tagore's creation .. she is the reflection of a woman's deepest and darkest desires .. she is complicated and this complication makes her intriguing .. even when I am reading the original book she appears like a mystery sometimes, you need to watch all the episodes to understand her 

Thats most interesting aspect of the story.. Her character we often don't find on Indian Television especially where a hero can be anti hero but heroine has to be all white... I liked Binodini's character.. Her Jealousy with Ashalata seemed natural.. she wanted what was Ashalata's but inside she knew who was what... How clearly she describes difference between bihari and Mahen ..She says Mahen is weak inside and probably thats the reason she was able to come between Ashalata and Mahen's relation...and bihari was strong from inside..who could wait for eternity for his love.. so she knew who was better.. and she also knew bihari had feelings for her...then why did she chose Mahen first... probably thats what makes story more interesting..πŸ˜†
Sayanee, regarding point 1, I also felt the same; but ignored it attributing it to my too much imaginations πŸ˜‰. Chances are less that two persons would be having identical imaginations !!!!

Regarding point 2, as I have mentioned in one of my earlier posts, I felt that scene resembles with the station waiting-room scene between Amitabha Roy (played by Soumitra Chatterjee) and Karuna Gupta (played by Madhabi Mukherjee) from Satyajit Ray's "Kapurush o Mahapurush" (based on the short story "Janaiko Kapuruser Kahini" by Premendra Mitra). But, you are right; it actually has some subtle resemblance with the iconic "God is dead. I have killed him .." scene from "Saptapadi". That scene is a masterpiece indeed !!! I've read somewhere that author Tarashankar Bandyopadhyay actually got furious when Uttam Kumar had requested him to change the actual tragic ending of the novel in it's cinematic representation, but later he did agree after much persuasion from the legend.
And can anyone translate song lyrics for me...song that is played in show... I kind of liked it but dont know what it means😊
@Riti Binodini is was and will always be in love with Bihari .. she never fell for Mahendra .. Mahendra was her zid .. he refused her and she wanted to show him what a mistake you have done .. she was going through the pain of widowhood ..  she wanted Mahim to suffer as well as long for her the way she long for a normal life .. it's difficult to see into her mind .. probably someone with a degree in Bengali literature can explain properly .. I see a burning heart in her that wanted to destroy Mahendra, Ashalata their relationship and destroyed herself in the process 

PS: I gave translation of "Amaro porano jaha chay" in this thread .. I am looking for good translations of other song .. I got one of "Dariye aacho tumi aamar" but I didn't like it .. let me check little more 
Edited by SayaneeH.Lecter - 8 years ago

@Riti Binodini is was and will always be in love with Bihari .. she never fell for Mahendra .. Mahendra was her zid .. he refused her and she wanted to show him what a mistake you have done .. she was going through the pain of widowhood ..  she wanted Mahim to suffer as well as long for her the way she long for a normal life .. it's difficult to see into her mind .. probably someone with a degree in Bengali literature can explain properly .. I see a burning heart in her that wanted to destroy Mahendra, Ashalata their relationship and destroyed herself in the process 

PS: I gave translation of "Amaro porano jaha chay" in this thread .. I am looking for good translations of other song .. I got one of "Dariye aacho tumi aamar" but I didn't like it .. let me check little more 

Thanks Sayanee.. Now kind of got clarity somewhat.. 😊 but in her trying to prove to Mahen.. She kind of did injustice to Ashalata n even bihari.. I love grey shades...and I could see that in her character...I would love to see our television experimenting with such character..😊