Epic Channel

-StoriesByRabindranathTagore- DiscussionThread - Page 10

Sea-Hawk thumbnail
Posted: 8 years ago
This content was originally posted by: chandrima02

I'm eagerly waiting for 3 stories: "Kabuliwala", "Atithi" and "Nashtaneerh". All these three have already been converted into famous Bengali films, the first two by Tapan Sinha and the last one by Satyajit Ray. Must say that the acting standards that the films represent are simply beyond perfection.

I have seen "Kabuliwala", directed by Tapan Sinha and was released in 1957, in my very childhood days, which depicts a beautiful father-daughter bond. Chhabi Biswas' acting was too divine to put into words. His "Khnoki sasurbari jabe?" ("Little girl will you go to your in-laws' house?") still haunts me and makes me teary eyed. That powerful the performance was. I read the short-story later. But personally I was more moved watching the cinematic representation. The little girl was played by Oindrila (Tinku) Thakur, Sharmila Tagore's sister.

THIS LINE - it has the power of putting your heart and soul in the very story immediately .. if I say something I may spill out something that ruins the suspense for others but I will say one thing, every time I read this book or watch the film I start to see people like more human .. Chandrima my experience with Kabuliwala is same as yours .. I watched the film in my childhood, I cried but I was too young to get the message .. it was after reading the short story I understood Rahmat Kabuliwala and his undying affection for "Khokhi"

Edited by SayaneeH.Lecter - 8 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sillage. thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
I had read kabuliwala many years ago and the only thing I remember was I moved into tears by the end.
And Chandrima,I agree with you.Its refreshing to have discussions on literature and things like this.Thanks to you and others who contributing to it.keep them coming,please :)

With these discussions, the ignorant me gets some knowledge.😉
Edited by -Crescendo- - 8 years ago
candy02 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Sayanee, you are correct ðŸ˜‰. We should not discuss much about that story now; since we, due to our utmost respect & adoration for the story, may divulge something which may ruin the suspense for the others. We will discuss the same once we have watched Anurag Basu's portrayal.

I know this is not the right thread; but as I could not find any relevant thread and I'm unable to control myself from praising EPIC, I'm using this thread only. Hats off to EPIC for portraying Raja Rammohan Roy as "The Father of Modern India" (He is actually being known as "The Father of the Indian Renaissance"). Yesterday, he appeared as a character trying stop "Satidaaha" in the first episode of the series "Time Machine". It was his tireless efforts which ultimately had compelled the British to forcefully abolish this horrendous crime against women by creating a new law in the first half of 19th century. This renowned scholar also founded "Brahma Samaaj", which Rabindranath Tagore used to follow. But unfortunately, he died a lonely death (due to Meningitis, which was incurable at that time) in England as he was thrown out of the then very orthodox society due to him crossing "kaalapaani", which was being regarded as a sin at that time. I've had the privilege to visit his grave in Arnos Vale, Bristol, UK. His statue has been erected in the middle of Bristol City Center. 
Star_girl thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Oh, so they are planning Kabuliwala? I don't whether I am excited because I have watched numerous variations of Kabuliwala through the years. I am mainly interested in Nashtonirh. I wonder if Anurag can improve upon Ray's fabulous version.
They should have chosen more interesting adult stories in my opinion. Tagore has so many of them and they are very rarely, if ever touched. Regarding Aish's Binodini though, as a continuation of the last post, she was too naive and wide-eyed for me. Raima played Asha to perfection, Aish was a terrible miscast and I speak this as an Aish fan. Radhika on the other hand is near flawless as Binodini. Her eyes speak volumes and she has perfected the weary, manipulative attitude. She is possibly the best Binodini I have ever seen or will ever see, including the Binodinis of Calcutta theatre. 
Mahendro is extremely well cast as well, given he was supposed be this charming, handsome man. I will have to see whether Bihari and Asha match up to Tota Raychowdhury and Raima Sen's brilliance from Rituparno's version. Prosenjit was a flawless Mahendro as well. 
riti4u thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 7
Hi All😊

Many already know me here..for those who dont, I am Riti.. really liking Chokher Bali right now and very much looking forward to Kabuliwala😃
sakhisangni thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: SayaneeH.Lecter

<font color="#cc0033">Kabuliwala will be a really challenge to Basu .. I am eager to watch who is playing the protagonist .. Chabi Biswas in the old Bengali film based on the same story was absolutely perfect .. the level of acting must be very very high</font>

<font color="#cc0033">Moreoevr, this short story made me cry every time I read it .. and by "every time" I mean numerous times and I couldn't stop my tears even after knowing the ending .. I will expect Basu's version to have same effect on me</font>

I hope this one is directed by Anurag himself. As far as I know not all stories and episodes are in his direction but I hope he directs this one.
Sea-Hawk thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: riti4u

Hi All😊

Many already know me here..for those who dont, I am Riti.. really liking Chokher Bali right now and very much looking forward to Kabuliwala😃

Hey Riti welcome .. keep visiting this thread and share your views with us .. Characters like Binodini, Bihari, Mahendra givehuge scope of discussion .. plz join .. I am eager to see your opinion and perspective 
Sea-Hawk thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Star_girl

Oh, so they are planning Kabuliwala? I don't whether I am excited because I have watched numerous variations of Kabuliwala through the years. I am mainly interested in Nashtonirh. I wonder if Anurag can improve upon Ray's fabulous version.

They should have chosen more interesting adult stories in my opinion. Tagore has so many of them and they are very rarely, if ever touched. Regarding Aish's Binodini though, as a continuation of the last post, she was too naive and wide-eyed for me. Raima played Asha to perfection, Aish was a terrible miscast and I speak this as an Aish fan. Radhika on the other hand is near flawless as Binodini. Her eyes speak volumes and she has perfected the weary, manipulative attitude. She is possibly the best Binodini I have ever seen or will ever see, including the Binodinis of Calcutta theatre. 
Mahendro is extremely well cast as well, given he was supposed be this charming, handsome man. I will have to see whether Bihari and Asha match up to Tota Raychowdhury and Raima Sen's brilliance from Rituparno's version. Prosenjit was a flawless Mahendro as well. 

I want Anuraag Basu to make Sesher Kobita .. my all time favorite novel 

Coming to Ash's Binodini I too felt the same .. Binodini is a beauty with brain and a lot more, Ash was only beauty nothing else .. I enjoyed Tota's portrayal of Bihari and I am loving the actor playing Bihari here .. don't know his name but he is cut out from my imagination .. and till now his acting is pretty impressive 

Sea-Hawk thumbnail

However, we didn't discuss Basu's direction .. I feel he is truly sincere and has given 100% effort .. his natural expertise can be seen in this venture .. Few scenes are commendable .. the fading bride in red Binodini arrived in white to depict the disastrous change in her life within a small span, the train scene .. the excitement and the run reminded me of "Pother Pachali" .. the iconic Apu Durga scene .. the camera work was brilliant, and the rain scene .. it was picturesque .. I was impressed by Basu's work since "Gangster" days, Barfi overwhelmed me but this time, it is Tagore so I was skeptic but I am really satisfied with the outcome  
riti4u thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 7
This content was originally posted by: SayaneeH.Lecter

Hey Riti welcome .. keep visiting this thread and share your views with us .. Characters like Binodini, Bihari, Mahendra givehuge scope of discussion .. plz join .. I am eager to see your opinion and perspective 

Hey Sayanee, thanks for link🤗 and welcome.. Will surely join discussion dear😃.. Interested to see next episodes.. will have clear understanding of some characters and situation... coz Binodini has confused me the most ..😆