Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

candy02 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 8 years ago
@Star_girl and Sayanee, you have struck the right chord. Perfect explanations.
Star_girl thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
^^ Lol yeah. Bengali literature or culture as a whole is quite a bit different from the rest of India. They are significantly more liberal and empowered, hence judging a character from the perspective of the culture of North India may not work in this case. 
Women are treated as sexual and opinionated people in Tagore's works. As people. Not merely as women. People who are just as sexually and romantically inclined as their male counterparts and prone to be conditioned by the society. Women are conditioned by society to view other women as competition, Binodini is no different. Except she doesn't even know what she is fighting for. 
Mahendro is not the one to blame either. He is a slave to his primal being much like most people. His mom's indulgence and obsession gave him this aura of invincibility. It's not entirely his fault either. In Tagore's books, nobody is at fault. There are no villains except for our conditioning and our society. 
DanmeiLover thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Originally posted by: DurgaS

It's out. The show will start on 6th July, 2014 at 10 pm IST. 

Stories By Rabindranath Tagore - Chokher Bali Sneak Peek #1 

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taMCxcra0zk[/YOUTUBE] 

I think the Chokher Baali that is being shown in ZEE Bangla , is the best , in terms of writing , acting , editing and casting. This one can not match up to it. ðŸ˜³
candy02 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Yes @Star_girl, that's why I had mentioned in one of my posts that one can't judge who is wrong and who is right at the end of the novel. Bengali literature and culture are so different that judging a character from the perspective of the culture of North India may not work in this case.

Anyways, it's really a privilege to watch this type of content on EPIC channel. Hats off to EPIC, Anurag Basu and his team for bringing this to us.
Edited by chandrima02 - 8 years ago
Sea-Hawk thumbnail
Originally posted by: AnnaPaquinFan

I think the Chokher Baali that is being shown in ZEE Bangla , is the best , in terms of writing , acting , editing and casting. This one can not match up to it. ðŸ˜³

Sorry but I disagree .. Zee Bangla's Chokher Bali is anything but Chokher Bali .. I simply didn't get why they took Tagore's work to make a same old Sas Bahu khichdi .. I hate it more than Rituparno's one .. I don't understand from where they get the courage to bring those typical vamps, idiotic story line, meaningless addition in Kabiguru's creation .. they could make anything why dragging Tagore and HIS novel .. they simply made joke of Tagore .. 

One request plz don't drag any other version here .. specially one with lots of distortion .. if Anurag Basu does a story what Satyajit Ray has also done then we can certainly discuss but no Zee Bangla's soap opera please 
Star_girl thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: SayaneeH.Lecter

Sorry but I disagree .. Zee Bangla's Chokher Bali is anything but Chokher Bali .. I simply didn't get why they took Tagore's work to make a same old Sas Bahu khichdi .. I hate it more than Rituparno's one .. I don't understand from where they get the courage to bring those typical vamps, idiotic story line, meaningless addition in Kabiguru's creation .. they could make anything why dragging Tagore and HIS novel .. they simply made joke of Tagore .. 

One request plz don't drag any other version here .. specially one with lots of distortion .. if Anurag Basu does a story what Satyajit Ray has also done then we can certainly discuss but no Zee Bangla's soap opera please 

Lmao I know. I watched two episodes given I adore Chokher Bali and it's my absolute favourite novel of Tagore apart from Gora, but I was legit shocked how horrible it was. Absolutely one of the worst imitations ever. Rituparno's version shouldn't even be compared with that atrocity. While Rituparno's version had limitations, this Zee show is a ridiculous nonsense. 
I for one, am a fairly liberal person and never really mind when people take creative liberties. But they should at least make it interesting, not irritating and idiotic as hell. If you do not have the brains to take creative liberty, it's better to not make a project at all IMHO. I would love to watch a modernized version of Chokher Bali for example and with the idiotic directors around, it's a futile dream. 

Sea-Hawk thumbnail
Originally posted by: Star_girl

Ah, the basic dilemma of people reading or viewing Chokher Bali for the first time. Try not to see Binodini in terms of black and white binaries. Try to understand the horrifying system of widowhood and how it murdered a young woman alive. 
Binodini is an educated, vivacious, sexual young girl who has no options, no life, nothing to look forward to except for death. She tastes freedom for the first time in Mahendro's house. She realizes that she would have been the rightful mistress of this house. She could have been happy. She could have made Mahendro a much better partner than Ashalata. Instead she is stuck within this empty, hollow nothingness. A barely twenty year old girl deprived of every little pleasure. There is this vivid section on her life in village and the terrible condition for widows. You have to understand the social subtext in order to learn Binodini. She is not known as the finest female character in the history of Bengali literature for nothing. She is complicated and problematic. If you compartmentalize her or attempt to visualize her in a linear way, you will never learn Binodini. 
Binodini's subconscious tells her Asha robbed her of the life she deserved. A life of freedom and happiness. Yes, she willingly seduces Mahendro and she deliberately hurts Asha who has only been her friend. But that's who she is. She is problematic. Ironically enough, only when she gets what she wants, she realizes she never wanted it in the first place. Does she love Mahendro? No. She doesn't even like him or respect him. She speaks of the deeper secrets of the primal female mind. It doesn't help if you judge her through standard right-wrong binaries. 
Finally, this is also a beautiful story of love, redemption and sexuality. People should not ignore the undertones of sexuality through the book. It's something that defined the book and defines the fundamental feminine soul. 

you explained Binodini so beautifully .. true that women like Binodini can not be judged with stereotypical idea of good & bad  .. if we can't see the basic factors that creates the complex in one's mind and give our verdict, it will be equal to judge announcing punishment without listening the reasons behind the reaction .. Binodini wasn't one who could bear the pain of widowhood in name of destiny .. she had anger in her. She wanted to prove Mahendro and others that she was the rightful person who could and should control Mahim's life .. there was no love but an effort to prove her worth .. may be she was wrong but that was the only way she found .. Asalata became a victim of situation but Binodini was also the same .. I can sympathize and empathize with both women here
Sea-Hawk thumbnail
Originally posted by: Star_girl

Lmao I know. I watched two episodes given I adore Chokher Bali and it's my absolute favourite novel of Tagore apart from Gora, but I was legit shocked how horrible it was. Absolutely one of the worst imitations ever. Rituparno's version shouldn't even be compared with that atrocity. While Rituparno's version had limitations, this Zee show is a ridiculous nonsense. 
I for one, am a fairly liberal person and never really mind when people take creative liberties. But they should at least make it interesting, not irritating and idiotic as hell. If you do not have the brains to take creative liberty, it's better to not make a project at all IMHO. I would love to watch a modernized version of Chokher Bali for example and with the idiotic directors around, it's a futile dream. 

I am fine with creative liberty as long as it is not distortion .. there is a fine but significant difference between these two .. in case of Ritupo*no's one I was okay with his depiction of sexuality .. being an avid fan of UK shows physicality, nudity doesn't bother me much until and unless it is forced but Rituparno somehow all the time get focused on that very point .. moreover, may be because of Rituparno's direction or Ash's limited understanding of the character Binodini never became Binodini there .. though I loved other three there .. however, Zee's one is a different story .. the less discussed, the better 

I felt Anurag Basu really understood these flawed yet beautiful men and woman and is weaving the story naturally .. creative liberty has been taken but they it changed the story 

Sea-Hawk thumbnail
Originally posted by: Madhura..

Brilliant thread guys, Sayanee thank you for letting me know!!
I will try to see the show, Rabindranath Tagore his writings were indeed brilliant, which is an understatement, I have read very few, but few poems I have, cos of the language constraint too, Translations many times dilute the impact/

Welcome Madhura .. I know translation spoils a lot of things .. however, try to watch the show .. there are multiple repeats on Sat & Sun .. Anuraag Basu is staying loyal and respectful towards the real novel
Arijit007 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
i liked this version of the novel most, it's aqurate, no nonsense and beutyfull. the uses of ravindra sangeet as backgroundscore is absolutly awesome.