Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sillage. thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 8 years ago
Originally posted by: chandrima02

@Crescendo, that IS THE crux of the story itself. Binodini was educated, well versed in music, an expert in household work, could communicate in english along with playing chess and was almost of Mahendra's age, in a nut shell she was a very worthy bride for him; whereas Ashalata was nothing compared to her. She was uneducated and very young as per the novel. Yet Mahendra refused to marry Binodini and later went on to marry Ashalata, solely enchanted by her beauty. Binodini took that refusal as an insult to her self-respect. Once she had become a widow and had read Mahendra's letters, she became enraged. She started considering Ashalata as her enemy ("Chokher Baali"), who has usurped what rightfully belonged to her. Mahendra's infatuation towards Ashalata's beauty disappeared into thin air in no time, once he understood that Binodini was more of his type. Poor Ashalata has deliberately been made a scapegoat in this whole sequence of events.

Hmm..true.
I get this now but don't you think it is morally wrong what Binodini is doing..
Neerjaa thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: -Crescendo-

Hmm..true.
I get this now but don't you think it is morally wrong what Binodini is doing..

where the morality comes in all this . Its human emotions . Makers have started with flash back . Binodini has respect for Bihari Babu  . This  was the reason but when read the book never felt that she wanted to hurt Asha . 

sillage. thumbnail
Originally posted by: Neerjaa

where the morality comes in all this . Its human emotions . Makers have started with flash back . Binodini has respect for Bihari Babu  . This  was the reason but when read the book never felt that she wanted to hurt Asha . 

Being close to Mahendra when he is married to Asha..this is the morality I'm talking about.

She didn't want to hurt Asha intentionally but eventually she did??
candy02 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
I know this is unacceptable as per our thought process. But I do sympathize with Binodini's frustration, her jealousy, her grief, her anger. In those days, a Hindu widow's life was worse than death itself. And she had to bear that unbearable & agonizing life, which was completely devoid of any color, any odour, any taste (in literal sense) and any earthly pleasure due to Mahendra's refusal. She wanted to teach him a lesson by proving herself worthier than Ashalata, in turn proving him wrong and later she was successful as well. Ashalata was her "Chokher Baali"; since in her eyes, Ashalata was guilty as an unwanted usurper of what rightfully belonged to her. To be frank, personally I find Mahendra, as the one who was the real guilty.

I won't destroy the suspense. But at the end, you would not be able to judge who was right and who was wrong.
Edited by chandrima02 - 8 years ago
sillage. thumbnail
Originally posted by: chandrima02

I know this is unacceptable as per our thought process. But I do sympathize with Binodini's frustration, her jealousy, her grief, her anger. In those days, a Hindu widow's life was worse than death itself. And she had to bear that unbearable & agonizing life, which was completely devoid of any color, any order, any taste (in literal sense) and any earthly pleasure due to Mahendra's refusal. She wanted to teach him a lesson by proving herself worthier than Ashalata, in turn proving him wrong and later she was successful as well. Ashalata was her "Chokher Baali"; since in her eyes, Ashalata was guilty as an unwanted usurper of what rightfully belonged to her. To be frank, personally I find Mahendra, as the one who was the real guilty.

I won't destroy the suspense. But at the end, you would not be able to judge who was right and who was wrong.

I want to sympathise with Binodini but don't see myself doing it.
Thanks for the perspective...makes it understandable.
Neerjaa thumbnail
1. Phule phule dhole dhole (Ye Banks & Brae - Scottish original by Robert Burns)

Was  this music was also played in Parinita when Saif  was playing the piano and Vidya was standing and singing with him . ? Today i saw the clippings of making of Tagore,s work in Epic and then listened this track . 

candy02 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Neerja you are spot on. The tune of this song was being used in latest "Parineeta" by Shantanu Moitra. This song was influenced by a Scottish song "Ye Banks & Brae" by Robert Burns. It's originally a part of Kabiguru's geetinatya "Kaalmrigaya", which depicts the death of Shravan Kumar by King Dasharathha's shabdvedi arrow while the former was collecting water for his blind parents from Saryu river in dark. Edited by chandrima02 - 8 years ago
Neerjaa thumbnail
Originally posted by: Madhura..

Brilliant thread guys, Sayanee thank you for letting me know!!
I will try to see the show, Rabindranath Tagore his writings were indeed brilliant, which is an understatement, I have read very few, but few poems I have, cos of the language constraint too, Translations many times dilute the impact/

Here i agree with you . Translation looses the essence of the original . 
Neerjaa thumbnail
              What is the meaning of "Chokher Baali") . Whether its Sharat or Tagore , I found woman character strong  not crying buckets of tears . Found them to be dignified whether it resulted with pain . Here Binodini being the young and how left to readers to understand her physically yearnings when she watches both of newly weds and Asha telling her little details about her time spent with her husband . Somewhere Binodini going through  fighting so many of demons of her conscious . The hindi version i read there they both have common name Aankh ki Kirkiri and this was the name of the novel also . 
Neerjaa thumbnail
 Is this is the song ..
 Robert Burns .

Ye Banks & Braes LYRICS

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWz1pbcDPZI[/YOUTUBE]

Same music is in Charulata Movie ...

Phule Phule Dhole Dhole

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1uVblb7-j0[/YOUTUBE]

This song is an extraordinary adaption of Robert Burns's ( Famous Scottish Composer) -ye banks and braes o' bonnie doon. Tagore adapted it so amazingly.
Edited by Neerjaa - 8 years ago