Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sashashyam thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 8 years ago
Shruthi dear,

WHAT is the message that Mahakumbh is aiming to convey? It is by now so  confused, like  a puppy chasing its own tail, that neither the writers nor the viewers know whether they are coming or going. If you were to ask them, I am sure the writers would not have the foggiest idea what it is supposed to be, bar the ultimate triumph of dharma, however defined!😉

I had listed all the loose ends in my first two posts here, and that list is a massive one, and the loose ends are all major ones. Let me recap it,  with supplementary comments.

- Maya being kidnapped by Rao, one does not know what for. Rudra is with him as of now,  so why this potential  lever for blackmail? Once Rudra knows what Rao is up to, no lever will work on him. It is like that old saying, Pooth sapooth to kyon dhan sanchay, pooth kapooth to kyon dhan sanchay?

-  Rao's Mississippi, Colorado, Nile et al, which is really the worst bloomer so far, for it knocks the stuffing out of the core concept of Mahakumbh, that once in 144 years, the amrit surfaces at the Mahakumbh at Prayag, when the vilupt Saraswati becomes prakat,  and nowhere else. I do not know whose bright idea that was. Not Utkarsh's, I hope!😡

- the still powerless garuds,  who are now apparently about  to be transformed into a bunch of scaredy cats all set on abandoning their mission, thus abandoning the amrit  to the nagas, because Shivanand is afraid of dying. If Dansh could hear him, he would be chortling in glee, and I want to see what Rudra does when the truth about his precious Baba dawns on him.

- the enemy within the gates, ie Shivanand, going one better than even Dansh in sabotaging the mission of the garuds.  This is the cruellest cut of them all, for I adored Shivanand, and see what he has become now!😭 All for lack of a few more hard  blows from MB's staff!😉

- the 'Veshes, now clinging to the hope that one more sadhu baba   will help them control the nagas. He seems to have turned up; the writers are still introducing new characters, aur jo hain, wo jaye bhaad mein!😉 Wonder what this one is going to do, with Dansh and for the 'Veshes.

-Leela, jisne khatiya pakad li,  all for donating 3 drops of blood! Then there is the question of whether Dansh discovers what she has done to save Rudra and gets after her, though I doubt if he and the writers have time for such odds and ends!😉.😉

- Drish's tunnel, which he seems to be neglecting in order to hang around Dansh and MB. If I know anything of workmen anywhere, the tunnel is likely  to end up in Sector  34 instead of Sectore 53! 😉Why, when they were digging the Chunnel under the English Channel, the tunnels from the two sides ended up, at the mid point, with  one 3 metres higher than the other!😉

- MB's sauda  with Dansh, the most vital of all, about which she has  not yet informed Rudra,  and which she appears to have put on hold for the present to babysit the Garuda Pramukh.  Poor, silly Dansh, imagining that his guards can prevent her from leaving! But then he  has not yet seen her apparate, only levitate.😉

-the teesri kitaab,  which by now begins to remind me of Alfred Hitchcock's the McGuffin, something touted as tremendously important that everyone is after, but which is really mithya, like the nuclear secrets in Notorious or the Maltese falcon in the film of the same name.

If MB is bluffing about this Third Book, why and for how long? If she is not, and there IS such a book, will she really  give it, or explain its contents, to the nagas? The  garuds of course are nowhere near thinking of any such Third Book, being as yet not even up to deciphering the Two Books.

- the literal transposition of the samudramanthan right down to the halahal. This part is more Mahadev  than Mahakumbh, and it seems, from MB's apocalyptic pronouncements, that she expects the halahal   to descend any instant. Presumably  she will then play a portly Parvati to Rudra's Neelakant 😉, there being no other candidate available!

This last would seem to indicate, Shruthi, that with the samudramanthan  parallel being taken so literally, the amrit  is not going to be esoteric right knowledge, but real amrit in a kalash.

-Rao must be having his test tubes and retorts and spectrometers all ready to analyse it and then duplicate it. But how will he convince his potential clients that it is the real thing? Only by drinking it himself,  and then having a second appointment with them after 50 years or so, by which time most of them will be dead anyway!😉

Given all this, my dear, I am  not prepared to  condone all the cumulative follies of  Utkarsh and Arvind Babbal  just because Mahakumbh  is, even  now  better than the usual soaps. They talked of giving us a special, sophisticated show, and they have to measured against those standards. This done, they have failed badly, and I   cannot make excuses for them. If you claim to be much better than the rest, and end up like this, you have only yourself to blame.

Lastly, where is the TRP-driving angle at all? Mahakumbh has always had poor TRPs, and it is a finite show, so how can they tweak it to make it crowd-pleasing? And why should they even try that? It would be like a Bharatanatyam dancer suddenly attempting a striptease to attract wolf whistles!😉

As fro your @blue, I agree completely, and I too have highlighted both these segments in my own posts here, my take on the latter being identical with yours.

Well, this is as much as I can manage at one go, so bye till tomorrow!

Shyamala Di

Originally posted by: shruthiravi

@Arshics yesterday was a much better episode. Though as Shymaladi said there are many loop holes I have decided to overlook and look at the positives. Reason maybe it is not great but in the world of TRP rating, forced to give message as well as rating the CVs should be under immense pressure. And if we as viewer's can criticize, but if we don't give appreciation for some of the things being done, we may not even get such things in future. Maybe it is not to compromise the message they makers have decided to shut it down than taking extension. We never know. I am telling this because I have seen many shows getting extended and once extended their message goes for a toss. All regressive things come in. Veera in SP is a classic case. So was SC which was diluted to a candyfloss love story. EHT shut down prematurely but they didn't compromise on the message. So for the time being I will just list down the positives I observed yesterday

- Convo between MB and Dansh. MB highlighting the power of time. Once again the message Samay sabse balwan hai. Forcing Dansh to fight than wait for her to spoon feed him on third book

- Convo between Rudra- MB. Loved the way she showed Garud Pramukh his place, telling him she went away because he asked her to go. Also loved the dialogue that Maimui cannot betray Rudra nor Bairavi can betray Garuda Pramukh. That means if he wants her , he will absolutely have to trust her actions which is always done for the benefit of the success of their duty. It also symbolically showed with each mistake he makes, to undo it, she will have to take harsher steps.

- Shiva and Kat. Fear bug has been induced in all. And precap shows Charles and Tiwari too victims

Last but not least MB asking Rudra the time is asking for his sacrifice. So what is the sacrifice he has to do. What all he has to lose again. I feel there is more he needs to lose. And hopefully we will get to see that in next episodes.

And agree to you Arshics they should have started such things atleast in April. Maya bhajan should have been cut down and the script should have moved forward.

Edited by sashashyam - 8 years ago
Arijit007 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
lagta hain kahaani khud hi bhulbhulaiyaa mein phans chuki hain.
happychappy thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
This discussion is too tempting to pass on...

I tend to agree with Sruthi on this one, by and large. Am not sure if the mytho-thriller is more about the message or about the thrills... Perhaps thrills on the way and the message at the Very End, in time-honoured dramatic fashion.

We all agree it started off really well...until the entry of adult Rudr we were all a bunch of "happychappies" indeed...

The first 'apaswaram' was grown-up Rudr's unplugged aggression. It made him seem unhinged and was unfathomable given Rudr Jr.'s mature and controlled performance. It would have been a treat to watch GR carry on from where young Siddhartha left off but that was not to be! It appears 'angry young man' is a fashionable trend the makers may have been trying to cash in on... Don't ask.

Since that point there have been many occassions when we  wondered what was going on, especially about the romance, the kidnap&torture saga, the massacre scenes etc...There were some brilliant scenes as well, which were like sparkling diamonds - and we loved them...

One thing that comes through in UN's tweets to Shyamala is the TRP effect on the team. We thought it was irrelevant because it was not open-ended but we were wrong. He made that very clear.

Given this is a business venture that AB & others are putting their money and time into, you cannot blame them for trying different plans when plan A misfired on trp's...All said and done, the changes have not brought them any trp gains either. More a question of 'na ghar ka na ghat ka'...😭

It is terribly sad they could not have been allowed to make the show they wanted to make, and we wanted to watch. Other than SB all the other actors have been grossly under used. Mr Rode's patience is amazing. Also the theatre veterans who play APJG and Vesh Sr..

Even attempting to make this show was an act of courage on the part of the Babbals.👏 Given the conditions.
Edited by happychappy - 8 years ago
shruthiravi thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Shymaladi I don't know what the final message would come in, but I somehow feel it will be good and not regressive how much ever sloppy the screenplay and how much ever loop holes they have. Talking because of EHT experience. The entire forum was lamenting the premature shutting down, the rushed screenplay, bloopers and loopholes. Even I had lamented, shouted a lot those days. But in the end if the soap won it was because of 3 things

- One the scene where the rape victim herself brings down the perpetuor  of the crime( When Payal slaps Shaurya and hits him with all her might after extracting his confession doing a abla nari act, you as a viewer feel vindicated that you didn't invest your time on a wrong soap)  

- They showed the rape victim's honour restored in court and not any vindicative justice.

- They showed the difference between a man who uses woman and a man who respects woman between Shaurya and Dev. It also showed a woman wins when she knows with whom she needs to be Nithya and with whom she needs to be Durga. If she understand the constructive and destructive forces within her and use it in the right way, no one can stop her.

All this I can write about EHT because it finished, for MK I can write this only in the end. But I don't have it in me to shout on MK as the energy for that is lost and well for any TV show my expectations are always low knowing TRP system, so I rate things only from that perspective.

I don't expect any major change in TV scenario for the next 5-10 years. Even if new concepts are introduced they will fall flat in the TRP race and will have to fine tune things to accommodate TRP. Else we should get more shows like Everest where shooting is done and dusted with before the commencement of the show. I sometimes really feel sad for the directors, producers, script writers who are really trying to give something new, but in the end has to walk the same line for TRP as in the end it is all business.

@happy TRP wont come just like that and with the changes only loyal fans gets more hurt😭. MK for me the core problem was whole Maya Bhajan. I am damn sure many viewer's were simply put of by it. There was no chemistry between the leads and people simply couldn't understand the need of that character. CVs simply should have cut down that portion even if they were intending that as illusion. That would have given him time to concentrate on the script for the later part which was much necessary.

Just look at the new BARC rating and look at the top 5 shows. Everything is same khichdi. I know the 10 and 10:30 shows on SP is pretty decent, but look at their TRP, bottom of the chart in the channel. Sad thing, but that is how Indian TV scenario is. Sometimes I just feel like I am not watching any more shows and will switch to my music channels or channels like Safari or the max episodics like Yeh hai Aashique or Savdhaan India
Edited by shruthiravi - 8 years ago