Writers Corner: Books, Stories & Poems

Short Story: The Unheard Cries For Help.

incognito. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 8 years ago
The Unheard Cries For Help..

P R O L O G U E.

I own three blades. Been stealing pills. Have weathered two serious suicide attempts. I'm pretty much sure I'd be a drug addict. Or an alcoholic. Serve some jail-time. But I'm also sure I'd write bestsellers. All that, if my caprice to endure is much stronger than my urge to die.

It is said, in the online support group for Borderline Personality Disorder and for the depressed that I've recently joined, that we're more than self-mutilators. We're more than the cuts that adorn our bodies. The suicidal tendencies. The monsters we perceive ourselves to be.

We're a bright ray of hope. We're indomitable resilience. We're a beautiful albatross. We're magic. We're healers. We're the strength we possess.

Err, I ain't one of those bullshit. I do not know what I am, exactly. So I want someone to dig deeper in my soul. I'm pretty sure if someone would rummage passionately, he'd find everything in me --- chaos. orientation. damage. passion. insanity. rage.

Because, if I were to speak in crappy philosophical manner, I'm a paradox. A crescendo of misery. A phantom conspiracy. Absolute contradiction. Profusion of possibilities-- in me anything's possible. I'm infinity. I'm my write ups.

But I'm also the cuts that I've inflicted over my arms and thighs. The neurotic thoughts at 2:00 AM. The impulse to die. The invincible demons that I've tamed. The pills I've swallowed and the one's I'd swallow in the future. The misanthropy. The monster who pushes people away. The victim. The victimizer. The hypocrite. The self-mutilator. The black-hearted.

Unlike humans, I'm not in denial of the darkness and turbulence that resides within me. In fact, I celebrate my eccentricity. It defines my essence. Distinguishes me from the rest.

There's this optimistic and erudite girl who goes by the name Sharona, and happens to be my only friend. She said to me once and I quote, "To define is to limit. So when you define your affliction, your passions, your ambitions -- and yourself-- you're bounding yourself within a certain confined boundary. Undermining yourself. Do justice to the cornucopia of indefinable yet astoundingly wondrous things that constitute your essence... Be the fathomless infinity that you are. Don't introduce yourself with a couple of mundane and memorized sentences. -- Welcome those genuinely interested in your world. Open the passageway to the universe that you are. Let 'em explore you themselves. If you want to--but make sure you're scrupulous and strong to bare the consequences if any."

That day I replied her saying, "Yeah right, so that they snatch away my secrets and leave me with perpetual emptiness. So I become one of those monotonous people out there who aren't remotely enigmatic."

But nonetheless, here I am. Welcoming you to the universe that I am. To the land of the Dark Triad.

Author's Note: I'm not endorsing self-mutilation or suicide. Even if I am, no one would indulge in such things because of what I write. They'd if they're going through crap. Apart from that, I just hope you like this. 

Hit like for PMs.

Index.

Chapter One-  Affliction: Page 2.
Chapter Tw0- The Dysfunctional Family- Page 3.

Edited by .enigma - 8 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

farqandfeels thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Suicide is a senitive issue, and your writings are intense, deep!

P.S - I'll stalk this thread.😉
thegameison thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Enigma,

There are biological, genetic and cultural explanations of depression. But when one is depressed, not one of these approaches answer so much as a quarter of their questions. Let us use a broader term in lieu of depression. Let us assume that there exist people who are different. They cannot be caged. For, they are explosive. They cannot be hidden because the intensity with which their distinction shines is immense. When people are different, I have come to observe, words help them infinitely more than any human being ever could.

Your protagonist reminds me of all that and much more. The words she uses to describe herself are paradoxical, just like she is. Her problem exists but it's ambiguous. It's a two-pronged struggle, she has to survive both herself and those who surround her. Naturally, it relieves the reader that here and there, confidantes like Sharona introduce a perspective in her life that she is incapable of reaching because of who she is. A catastrophe. 

I notice in this writeup that the protagonist, like most people, seeks validation but is not willing to alter herself to achieve that. Conflict-ridden as she is, as her life is, she needs but one or two people who have the grey matter to understand her. After words, it's that that helps different people the most, people who get and accept them.

The prologue and title of this short story are in synchrony. The choice of words and the formation of every line are strong. This makes a bold and dark read. Don't be disheartened when people don't come around because most cannot begin to fathom any of this. This is incoherent stuff for more people than you'd like. But believe me when I say this, you and words are going to be very good friends. May you write this and much more.

Thanks for the PM,
K
Edited by thegameison - 8 years ago
Dreamer3003 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
brilliant start👏
amazingly penned down😳
continue soonish😊
Myra. thumbnail
AMAZING! <3 I just love love love it <3 you've explained depression soo well man! Great job!
reflections. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
Enigma,

It is absolutely outstanding for you having to write something that is so deep, true and well, something that needs to be known. Suicide is not a solution to anything. However, situations, people and the concluding depression that you are talking about here has a very profound impact.

Your words, the way you have built up your lines, explicitly talk as to how brilliant your skill is. 
The fatal thoughts, words, following actions are quite gripping and something that got me hooked on after the first few lines itself.

Err, I ain't one of those bullshit. I do not know what I am, exactly. So I want someone to dig deeper in my soul. I'm pretty sure if someone would rummage passionately, he'd find everything in me --- chaos. orientation. damage. passion. insanity. rage.

This is my very favourite line from the prologue. It has, somehow left an impact. I feel this is me. A very true description of me. A paradox.

I completely agree with K as not many people would understand the deeper meaning behind all this even if they may, let's say, read your story.

Waiting for more of this story.

reflections. 

Edited by reflections. - 8 years ago
trolldemortx thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Well Done on this one Enigma !

Most people would be able to relate to such a circumstance at one point or other in their life !
The world is filled with suicidal people, telling other suicidal people that suicide isn't the answer ! 

Such a sensitive topic, and yet you have managed to pen it down so beautifully ! 
Again, well done ! 

xx
Edited by ..Steph.. - 8 years ago
dv19 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Such a wonderful writing... lots of info on depression I got to know.. tks.. pl update asap.
incognito. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
CHAPTER ONE.
AFFLICTION.

My life's been hazy. Yeah, hazy, that describes it well.

I have this vague memory that makes me feel disgusting and filthy. Filthy, in a wh**e kinda way. All I can picture is myself surrounded by approximately four boys, a few years older than me, and a garden. I'm laying beneath a mango tree, its branches thick enough to hide the felony from someone else to witness. With my pants down. I do not know what they were doing. 

Maybe molesting me, who knows? But I do not remember panting or crying in agony. Disgusted surely I was. The kind of bitch that I've grown up to become makes me feel it was a mutual act but I do not remember consenting to such a thing. How would a five year old know a thing about sexuality and the prerequisite consent?

Nonetheless, I certainly do have a history of molestation or, let's say, wh**eness. 

I was 10 years old, riding an elevator to the top floor. The security guard of the building accompanied me. I remember initially he pressed the button for the first floor. But I do not know what made him change his mind. Either he sensed he should acquire the opportunity for I was all alone or his body was itching and he needed to grab someone tightly and forcefully press his body against it. He obviously couldn't hug the elevator so he proceeded towards me. Who knows? That might be a possibility. He hesitantly grabbed me from the back and eloped his arms around me. He smooched me amorously and thrust-ed his body upon mine powerfully. A 10 year old couldn't possibly rescue herself from the clutches of a masculine man. Though I tried some kicks but my attempts were rather otiose. His tight clasp. His smirk. His smell. All of it disgusted me. That was one suffocating and utterly detestable moment for me. I avoided crossing paths with him from that day onwards. I still do.

Some times the bogeyman that we're warned about as kids are one of the closest acquaintances of ours. The uncles we admire. The elder cousins we refer to as brothers.

I remember that old man and his wizened face. The man I allowed to cuddle me. Being autistic, even as a child I never was fond of the embraces and kisses. Not many chose to cuddle the fat and ugly kid that I was. Nonetheless, that old man, my uncle, always gave my tiny and hard hands a vehement shake. But the one and only act of tormenting assault took place when I was 12. We were both sitting in the guest-room. He leisurely lifted my voluminous corduroy trouser up and started to caress my fat and hairy leg. His soft and gnarled hands, like the limbs of an ancient oak, fondled my leg for more than an hour. Throughout the process, like all molesters, he told me this is something tolerable and I was to tell no one about it. Therefore whenever I think that that wasn't a case of molestation and all I'm doing is simply exaggerating it to victimize myself and to justify the calamity I've imagined to happen, I remember his words-- 'don't tell anyone'.

I've been acquainted with sentiments relating infatuation developed for guys. In fact I've been infatuated with two boys at the same time-- ain't I a bitch? Anyway, when the molester is someone you think you love identification becomes impossible.

I was molested for a month and throughout the act I didn't realize what was going on. It all started when my mania for my cousin escalated. I would try to talk to him and express my puppy love for his handsome face. I was 14 and was grieving the death of my cousin whom I loathed. Oh and by the way, I wished him death the night he died. Ain't I a bitch? 

Some days I wonder whether my flights of fancy for my handsome cousin gave him the right to touch me sexually? The right to touch my breasts and forcefully pull my hands towards his tool? The audacity to tell me that he wished I'd sleep next to him? I'd joke around as well, telling him to f**ck off. In my defense, I'd say I didn't know a thing about sex until I opened my biology book a year later. I would smile and at once he'd become lustful of me. Were my smiles taken as a consent? To touch my private parts? Maybe I was at fault. Maybe I deserved it. The pain. The crap. I mean crap- that is what I always yearned so what's with the drama?

I've been disoriented and perplexed since then for I'm not sure whether I was molested. I'm maudlin and self-piteous. So maybe to appease my masochism I'm just exploiting the happenings. Maybe I'm just a s**t.

Maybe I do not have a sad story. Maybe all that I have is consuming melancholia and I am wandering around in search of a justification. 

I had my first serious and hysterical depressive episode when I turned 15. Its a perfect story to tell. On the crestfallen evening of my 15th birthday, I woke up with the same usual emptiness but now I could call myself a lunatic as well. 

My seemingly intangible zeal abated and baffling tenderness intensified. The advent of a cavalier attitude towards life gained ascendancy over my willpower of conquering the world. Let alone touching the sky, trivial tasks such as waking up soon became tedious. I lost control and became a monster. Hypersomnia, lethargy, agitation, sentiments relating strangulation, suicidal tendencies and self-destruction soon constituted my essence. I started living with the excruciating pain of being a failure.

Inundated with sparks of conflagration I had crossed a fatal threshold. There was no turning back. I was going to remain a monster. 

These days, as Sharona says, I'm changing. She tells me I talk less of dying and therefore she can classify me into a human. And when I remind her of the hour when I talked of suicide she tells me I was simply showing off.

I sleep away the nasty feelings. Sleep. It's a bliss. Not only for me but for my family too. Yesterday only my mom told me how peaceful the house is when I'm sleeping. They do not have to endure the abuses I hurl at them or the impotent anger that seizes me for indecipherable reasons. My sister doesn't have to face the manipulation and I do not have to bare the emotional abuse.

All in one, life is good when I sleep or lock myself up in my room and read. Those are the times when I am not crying for help. When I escape hell and pay a visit to heaven. When I am not angry, miserable, frustrated, evil, guilty or frightening. I am at peace.

I was told, do not try to define or name your affliction but try facing it. What an idiotic thing to say. If I'm not aware of the causes of the pain, how do I endure it? 

I like harboring my insanity. I like scraping my self-inflicted scars. I like living with my strangled dreams. I like how I think of suicide only to choose the continuance of my bleak life-- not once, not twice but every freaking day of my existence. 

Life's good. No matter how miserable it is, it is mine.

(They have been telling us in the support group to be optimistic so I try regardless of the fact that I find it meaningless.)

I'm happy for receiving some good feedback. I hope you like this chapter. 
This one might be a bit disappointing. 😳
Edited by .enigma - 8 years ago
Dreamer3003 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
I'm not good with words but i must say this is simply brilliant
the way u have penned down the hardships faced by the gal s jus awesome
i'm loving this story❤️
Edited by Anapneo3003 - 8 years ago